Transporting Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Magmir

Transporting Buddy

Post by Magmir »

I'm buying my new Buddy over the weekend, but I have to drive two hours to get it. Do you guys think I can just throw it in the back of my 4Runner (on its side)? I transported a 03 Vespa ET-2 this way once. While it was a tight fit, it worked (although it leaked a little bit, but I had a tarp down).

Do you think it's okay to do this w/ the Buddy? Is it smaller than the ET-2?

Thanks, and looking forward to becoming official.
mlstephens

Re: Transporting Buddy

Post by mlstephens »

Magmir wrote:I'm buying my new Buddy over the weekend, but I have to drive two hours to get it. Do you guys think I can just throw it in the back of my 4Runner (on its side)? I transported a 03 Vespa ET-2 this way once. While it was a tight fit, it worked (although it leaked a little bit, but I had a tarp down).

Do you think it's okay to do this w/ the Buddy? Is it smaller than the ET-2?

Thanks, and looking forward to becoming official.
It isn't as tough as an ET-2 (more plastic) so putting it on its side might be a bit tricky w/o doing damage. But it should fit, as it is smaller than an ET-2.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It may actually fare a little better than an ET because it's smaller and the plastic panels have a little give. But because the Buddy doesn't have the ET's wide cowls, there may be a greater chance of something important bearing weight in a way it shouldn't. You may want to bring something to provide either a little cushioning or to prop up the back end a bit.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Well, I wish I had the picture of mine, tossed into the second row of seats of a mini-van, without any prior planning or really any orginization (tad drunk, but I had to get it home) it fit well length wise and besides not wanting to start right away (I let it settle and tried it again in the morning, ran fine) No harm no fall really.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
Phuket

Post by Phuket »

My dealer said to never put the Buddy on its side for any reason. He delivered mine in a van, and propped it up using some tie-downs in the back seat. Your dealer might sell some in the store, and they have them at some of the scooter sites. I'm not sure it would fit standing up in a 4 Runner, but I'd take some measurements and maybe consider taking the mirrors off to make room before you put it on its side.

BTW- Congrats on your new Buddy!!!!
weebl

Post by weebl »

I'd be a little hesitant to put it on its side as well. A guy I know had his Buddy knocked over by some kids who were being snots, and it caused some problems. I forget the details, but basically something internal became clogged as a result, and he had to take it in to get serviced. If I can remember what specifically, I'll let you know!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Mine blew over on its side during a storm. I have no idea how long it was lying on its side, but nothing bad came of it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sunshinen wrote:Mine blew over on its side during a storm. I have no idea how long it was lying on its side, but nothing bad came of it.
I think lying on its side is probably not as potentially harmful as moving on its side, where the scoot will be bumped and jostled and the fluids sloshing around.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Another transport question. I want to buy a carrier for my Buddy. Has anyone used a VersaHaul or similar carrier? Do you like it?

My only problem is that the factory hitch on my vehicle is a Class 2 (1 1/4"). I don't know who's idea that was...

Thanks -

PasadenaSue
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

PasadenaSue wrote:Another transport question. I want to buy a carrier for my Buddy. Has anyone used a VersaHaul or similar carrier? Do you like it?

My only problem is that the factory hitch on my vehicle is a Class 2 (1 1/4"). I don't know who's idea that was...
A number of people on Modern Vespa own or have used the VesaHaul, Mototote and Tilt-a-Rack style carriers. They mostly seem happy with whichever they've purchased.

A few threads:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6586
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5000
rajron

Post by rajron »

This is my latest project, should have it finished by months end – still needs license and registration – for that matter I haven’t even put the scoots on it yet, gotta figure out how to tie them down to the trailer. The weather is changing to warm and Kathleen wants to take the scoots to other cities so this seemed like a good idea, when it’s all said and done it will cost about $400.00 – I will post pics when completed, with the scoots onboard.

Work keeps getting in the way and I don’t have enough time for the fun stuff.
Attachments
P1010024aaresi.jpg
P1010024aaresi.jpg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

If I had a class III hitch I'd go for this rack - you load the scoot at ground level then its built in jack lifts it up. I hate running a scoot up a wee little ramp.

But since I have a Neon that can only carry a class I hitch I'll probably end up buying a nice cheap utility trailer.

-Mark
rajron

Post by rajron »

You must have posted about the same time as I, notice at the site www.sportutilitytrailers.com , my trailer is very similar their trailers, I got the rails from them – and I did get the base for my trailer from www.harborfreight.com/ .
Keys

Post by Keys »

Rajron, get what they call the "Canyon Dancer" tie-downs and just add hooks to that fine-lookin' trailer of yours and you'll be good to go...

As for the Versa Hauler, my dealer uses one on the back of her Chevy Suburban (subdivision...it came with its own zip-code) to transport scooters with a great degree of success.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Great info. I am torn between the trailer (Harbor Freight of course) and the hitch carrier. Space is a big concern since I had a motorcycle trailer for a while and it took up too much space in the driveway.

I'm leaning towards the VersaHaul VH-50. Anyone familiar with using it?

Thanks -

PasadenaSue
Magmir

Post by Magmir »

Well, I did it today. I picked up the Buddy from B-ham and brought it back to Atlanta. We just took the mirrors off and put it in on almost on its side. It fit fine and didn't leak anything. We took it out and it fired right up and drove great (but slooooow). I need to get it de-restricted ASAP.

Also, on an unrelated note, the guy at the store said they're losing around $300 on the sale. These Buddy dealers are making good money (margin wise) on full price sales!
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Rajron -

What are the base dimensions of your trailer? Any more pics since you gave us your last update? Harbor Freight has 2 different trailers - one is the folding trailer (4' x 8') and then they have a smaller non-folding trailer (40" x 48"). That kind of looks like what you used as your trailer.

The sale ends Monday, and while they will go on sale again, I'd like to buy one if possible and I'm hoping the smaller trailer will work (it has 12" wheels).

Thanks -

PasadenaSue
SeeyolateR

Post by SeeyolateR »

Magmir wrote:I need to get it de-restricted ASAP.
Im sure this is a noobie question... but what do you mean by de-restricted?
He took from his surroundings what was needed and made of it something more.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

SeeyolateR wrote: Im sure this is a noobie question... but what do you mean by de-restricted?
my guess would be they have a restricted license for some reason. but then again idk... not trying to insinuate anything. :?:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SeeyolateR wrote:
Magmir wrote:I need to get it de-restricted ASAP.
Im sure this is a noobie question... but what do you mean by de-restricted?
Most modern 50cc scoots are "restricted," meaning they have artificially-imposed top speeds. This is done due to requirements in some states/countries which will permit riders to use 50cc scoots/mopeds without a motorcycle license; in other states, vehicles with low top speeds and horsepower are classified differently than motorcycles for purposes of licensing, registration, insurance, etc.

De-restricting will add some power & increase top speed (10-15mph, maybe?). It will also likely void the warranty and may not be entirely legal in some states... if they figure it out.
rajron

Post by rajron »

PasadenaSue;

Sorry I didn’t realize you had asked a question, been out of town and running around – I know its too late now but I have the smallest trailer, the 48 X 40.
Indecently if I were to do it all over again I would pick up one of those trailers that are always out front of the hardware stores like Lowe’s, they are twice the money, about a thousand bucks but they are better.