Helmet Ratings

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Corsair

Helmet Ratings

Post by Corsair »

I've heard that there have been some helmets released that have DOT stickers even though they have failed DOT testing. Does anyone know where I can find out about the actually rating of a helmet? Also if you have any recommendations for a helmet please feel free to post a review.

Right now I'm considering:

AFX FX-97

HJC CL-Max Helmet

Scorpion EXO-700
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I'm really happy with my Fulmer AFD4, full face.

Kent
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
vitaminC

Re: Helmet Ratings

Post by vitaminC »

Corsair wrote: Also if you have any recommendations for a helmet please feel free to post a review.
The best helmet is the one that fits the shape of your head.

What are you doing on January 5th? The IMS will have many brands of many helmets all in one place so you can try them all on for a direct comparison.

I highly recommend not buying a helmet unless you've tried it on and spent a little time in it too make sure there are no pressure points that will become uncomfortable down the road.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

All of the helmets that you've shown are DOT approved. The easiest way to insure that you're getting a good, DOT helmet is to buy one from a dealer. Few, if any, dealers will sell an illegal DOT lid. Any dealer that would sell one is not a dealer that I would do business with.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Corsair

Re: Helmet Ratings

Post by Corsair »

vitaminC wrote: The best helmet is the one that fits the shape of your head.

What are you doing on January 5th? The IMS will have many brands of many helmets all in one place so you can try them all on for a direct comparison.

I highly recommend not buying a helmet unless you've tried it on and spent a little time in it too make sure there are no pressure points that will become uncomfortable down the road.
Thanks for the tip (common sense tips tend to be the greatest advice!)

Here's a Helmet Review I came across over @ motorcyclistonline.com Any opinions?

Also found SNELL's website and they have a listing of some of their approved helmets
Last edited by Corsair on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tam

Post by tam »

Here's a long article, but it's actually a really good read:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html

Conclusion is that you might want to stay away from a Snell approved helmet, and go for just DOT instead
scootie

Post by scootie »

tam wrote:Here's a long article, but it's actually a really good read:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html

Conclusion is that you might want to stay away from a Snell approved helmet, and go for just DOT instead
the thing is almost all FF helmets are Snell approved, so it would be pretty hard to get a FF helmet that is not Snell approved. Also FF will protect your teeth & jaw area in the event of a crash.
This diagram shows where most injuries to the head happen in motorcycle/scooter accidents
Attachments
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
Last edited by scootie on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooznd

03 Honda Metropolitan
06 Yamaha Vino 125
03 Yamaha Vino 50 -adopted by a foster family
Dave

Post by Dave »

@scootie

In the above mentioned Motorcyclist report there is a list of 9 FF helmets that are DOT but not SNELL aproved. The one the author seemed to like most is the Z1R: ZRP-1.
scootie

Post by scootie »

Dave- thanks!
I didn't read the article all the way to the bottom. I knew there were some FF European helmets w/o Snell approval, but didn't realize there were more choices.
Sooznd

03 Honda Metropolitan
06 Yamaha Vino 125
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

Best thing you can do is goto local motorcycle shops and try them on, size can be very different even form the same manufactor (depending on the model)

Any DOT helmet will be good, snell is just a 3rd part company that does their own inspection.

Dont always think the more $ the helmet the better it is, I have a $900+ at home I never wear (it looks cool as shit, but i hate wearing it) and I have another that cost me $250 and i could wear it all day and night and never gets uncomfortable.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
tam

Post by tam »

I was under the impression that the more expensive helmets were mostly about materials used, weight and noise reduction. I can deal with some noise and weight if it saves me $400, as long as my head is safe!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

tam wrote:I was under the impression that the more expensive helmets were mostly about materials used, weight and noise reduction. I can deal with some noise and weight if it saves me $400, as long as my head is safe!
Nope. It's also about smooth paint and fancy graphics! :wink:
scootie

Post by scootie »

check out http://www.newenough.com/product_depart ... seouts.htm

Great prices on closeouts

I bought an Icon Alliance ($200 helmet ) for $54---very comfy and quiet--no fancy graphix though.
Sooznd

03 Honda Metropolitan
06 Yamaha Vino 125
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Helmet talk is kind of like oil talk or chain lube talk, everyone's got an opinion and pretty much everyone can be right, or wrong, depending on where you stand. That said, vitaminC's point about fit is probably the most important thing. People have different head shapes and sizes and there are helmets out there that will match your head. You just need to spend the time and effort to try them all on. I also think the article in Motorcyclist Online is an excellent resource and good place to start.

I wear a Scorpion EXO-400 because it fits me, it tests well and it ventilates really well. An added bonus for me is that it's also very quiet at high speed, partly by design and partly because with Scorpion helmets I can wear a very tight fitting small instead of a medium. My wife has a very small round head and finds the Arai Quantum 2 to be the most comfy helmet by far.

Arai's, Shoei's and some of the Euro brands like Suomy and AGV have the best fit an finish, IMO. But the Scorpion is close and costs only a fraction of what a comparable Arai costs.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Oh, I forgot to put in a plug for my helmet! :P

I wear a KBC VR1, which you cannot buy any longer, but I think the current version is a VR3. I am fan of bright, solid colors.

My next helmet will likely be a modular, or flip-face, helmet, just because I can :wink:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

DUDE! You need to eat! :shock:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

BuddyRaton wrote:DUDE! You need to eat! :shock:
That's what my mom always tells me! :wink:

Of course, in that particular pic, no one is in the suit... :P
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Glad to hear that your happy with the KBC Vit C. I just ordered a KBC FFR today! I've been looking for a modular or flip front for a little while and tried one of these on. I've been wearing a Nolan 3/4 with a full shield that I really like but was looking for a bit more protection. Ordered the solid silver and pick it up Friday!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

BuddyRaton wrote:Glad to hear that your happy with the KBC Vit C. I just ordered a KBC FFR today! I've been looking for a modular or flip front for a little while and tried one of these on. I've been wearing a Nolan 3/4 with a full shield that I really like but was looking for a bit more protection. Ordered the solid silver and pick it up Friday!
Excellent! Please post a review once you've had a chance to get some miles in it.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

vitaminC wrote:Excellent! Please post a review once you've had a chance to get some miles in it.
If you're putting miles on your helmet, you're doing it wrong.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

vitaminC wrote: Excellent! Please post a review once you've had a chance to get some miles in it.

Well it took more than a couple of days to get it. After I ordered the dealer had it on backorder for 3 weeks. I finally found one (Silver Freeze model) that is the same as the picture in an earlier post. I've only been wearing it for a few days now but so far I really like it. I am getting used to the reduced visual angles. My Nolan was like having a fishbowl out front. I do need to tilt my head a little once in a while but I think that it will be one of those things that you notice until you get used to it, not a big deal.
www.teamscootertrash.com

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Helmet talk! Good stuff, and thanks for the links to the long but informative articles.

Does anyone else feel claustrophobic in a full-face helmet? I promised my dad I'd wear a full-face helmet (he's seen the stats on chin and jaw injuries). The 3/4 helmet didn't bother me at all, but something about the full-face makes me feel all heebie-jeebie* inside.

* a technical term
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

polianarchy wrote:Does anyone else feel claustrophobic in a full-face helmet?
I wear a full face and don't have a claustrophobic problem. I was not a 2-wheeler at all prior to buying the Buddy, and it did take a little getting used to wearing the helmet at first, but it is no problem now. I wore it for several hours on Saturday and it was fine. Just make sure you get one that fits your head properly.

For me the only problem with the full face is my glasses, which I need to remove to put on (and take off) the helmet. I dropped my glasses one morning while putting on my helmet. I am nearly blind without them and I managed to start to step on them while looking for them. :oops: Fortunately they were only slightly bent and I was able to bend them back, but that could have been a $400 mistake if I had not noticed I was starting to step on them.

My next helmet may be the type that you can flip up the whole front of because of that. Still get the full face coverage but a little easier to deal with glasses.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
shovde

Post by shovde »

I have the Scorpion EXO-700. It's not a bad helmet, but it's a little heavy and a little noisy. They also run very small, so make sure you try one on. I guess you get what you pay for. I might upgrade to something nicer next riding season.

Shane
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Helmets are unfortunately one of those things that people seem to go through several of before finding the "right" one for them. Depending on budget this can take weeks or years. :)

I am still looking for a modular to fit on my uniquely-shaped noggin but am committed to finding one. I'm not willing to do a whole back and forth with ordering one online and returning them until I get one that fits. Oddly enough, though, there's no motorcycle gear megamart/outlet store in the LA area.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

who has a full face and who doesn't?
Keys

Post by Keys »

I have two. One is a skid-lid with lots of cool stickers on it that I wear with goggles and the other is an open-face Z1R Metro helmet with a full face-shield (actually two...one dark smoke and one clear).

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Corsair wrote:who has a full face and who doesn't?
I thought this might be worth polling, so I started one.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Keys -

When do you ride with your full face helmet and goggles? I got a Z1R Metro when I bought my scooter, and I have been riding with that. However, I also have my full face helmet that I use when I ride my dual sport. It's definitely heavier and the goggles are less convenient than the flip up visor. So, I am curious when you ride with the full face helmet.

Regards -

PasadenaSue
Keys

Post by Keys »

Sue,
As I read your reply, I got the impression you are thinking my skid lid is a full face. It is not. A skid lid is one of those tiny 1/4 helmets that Harley riders wear. They are even sometimes DOT rated...mine is...barely. You know the old adage; a $35 helmet for a $35 head...

I generally use the Metro when it's cold out or maybe expected to rain or something. In other words, it's been on my head constantly since I got it for Christmas. I use the skid lid and goggles when it's warm out. It's just a little less restrictive to me. There are those who will caution you about the poor protection provided by a skid lid, though, and I think they're probably right. It IS better than just a ball cap, though...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"