Almost crashed tonight- bizarre

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LisaLisa

Almost crashed tonight- bizarre

Post by LisaLisa »

Tonight the weather was looking a little threatening, so I drove the cage in to the college.

On the way home, as I was approaching a green light, I noticed a motorcycle in the left turn lane.
When I was almost in the intersection, out of scooter habit, I looked closely at his wheel- and he was turning right into me!
The motorcycle didn't see my car!
I braked hard and he zipped in front of me.

It was as though today were opposite day.

(Of course everyone who has ever been 9 years old knows that you say, "Today's NOT opposite day" on opposite day)
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
broke

Post by broke »

You know, I got out to the garage this morning and started gearing up for my commute and _something_ just didn't feel right. It wasn't a weather thing for me, but I just was not 100% confident about riding this morning. I didn't want to.

...so I took the boots off and drove my truck into work.

Nothing bad happened. I am _NOT_ a superstitious person, but I don't regret not riding. There has only been about 1 or 2 other times in this past year I can think of when I didn't feel 100% confident about my ride. Even the during the day of my morning commute slide I wasn't as jittery as this morning.

But man, when I got home from work tonight I was excited to see we needed eggs for the dinner I was planning on cooking. I made up for missing my commute by tearing up the neighborhood getting to the grocery :) ...went slower home... had eggs in the top case.

Good catch on missing the biker Lisa. SOMEONE owes you one!
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Good eyes Lisa!! I always try to drive my truck like I ride my scooter. Makes me a better driver, and keeps those skill in tact. I even do the braking before the turn rather than in it. Silly, I know, but hey it works in cars too, especially in that white stuff that comes with winter. I don't like to say the word in the Spring. :wink: That motorcyclist sure is lucky it was you out there. :!:
underdog

Post by underdog »

Glad nothing happened. I trully believe that riding a two wheeled vehicle makes you a better cage driver.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

You know if he had turned into you he would have blamed the "craqzy cager" for everything :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Good job Lisa. Proves one more time that riding a scooter or motorcycle can make you a much better driver than someone who always lumbers around in an SUV with a cellphone in their ear. (two kinds of scooter riders - the alert riders and the ex-riders)
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

Nice catch! He's lucky you were paying attention.

I'll agree with everybody that riding on 2 wheels makes you a much better 4 wheel driver.
rickko

Post by rickko »

bluebuddygirl wrote:... I ride my scooter. Makes me a better driver, and keeps those skill in tact. ...
I absolutely agree 100%. In fact I'll take it a step further. Once you are a confident m/c-scooter rider there is no doubt in my mind you ARE safer from a traffic awareness perspective. You can see better than in a cage, you can position yourself better based on traffic congestion and speed, you can zip around problem areas quickly and easily (stress reliever), it's likely you'll never fall asleep piloting a scooter/m-c, etc. But visual awareness tops the list; you can easily, in a flash, see nearly 360 degrees around you if you've developed good mirror scanning habits.

Way to go LisaLisa.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Is it just me or does it seem like a trickle down effect with piloting smaller vehicles, making you a better pilot of larger vehicles? i.e. bicycle=better scooter, scooter=better motorcycle, motorcycle=better car? I could go all the way up to semis but you get the point.

Good job staying up LisaLisa!
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
EBee

Post by EBee »

broke wrote:You know, I got out to the garage this morning and started gearing up for my commute and _something_ just didn't feel right. It wasn't a weather thing for me, but I just was not 100% confident about riding this morning. I didn't want to.
I *SO* identify with this feeling. It has happened to me but I mentally smacked myself around to "get my head in the ride" because I had no choice. It's a strange feeling, NOT wanting to ride... :shock:
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

EBee wrote:
broke wrote:You know, I got out to the garage this morning and started gearing up for my commute and _something_ just didn't feel right. It wasn't a weather thing for me, but I just was not 100% confident about riding this morning. I didn't want to.
I *SO* identify with this feeling. It has happened to me but I mentally smacked myself around to "get my head in the ride" because I had no choice. It's a strange feeling, NOT wanting to ride... :shock:
I've had days like that too, when I just don't feel mentally into the ride. Maybe it's just exhaustion, maybe intuition, I don't know, but if my concentration (my most effective safety prevention) isn't all there, I'll postpone my ride.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Wheelz wrote: Good job staying up LisaLisa!
4 wheels- would not have gone down. :wink:
It was just so bizarre.

It was just like riding the scoot in a way- I slowed a bit getting to the intersection because it looked dangerous, and then specifically looked for the wheels, and then had the familiar "yep I knew that was going to happen" feeling. I also braced my feet on the floor board to take my weight off the front...

Except I was driving a car.

And because the weather had held up I was not happy to be in the cage.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
louie

Post by louie »

wow lisa, i'm so glad you were watching that bike. it would have been a horrible situation for you to live with, even though it wouldn't have been your fault. GOOD EYE ON THE WHEELS, they don't lie.
purple

almost crashed tonite

Post by purple »

LisaLisa,

So glad you're o.k.! I'm sure that was spooky for you!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

oops :oops: :oops: totally glazed over "took the cage part of your story...
so how about good job helping another two wheeler stay up! :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."