First rain ride

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootStevie

First rain ride

Post by ScootStevie »

So the wifey and I were going to breakfast. This was the first time since I got the scoot that I said "lets take the cage". She said "Are you feeling alright". So we took the scoot. After we ate we came out, and HUGE rain drops started coming down. This is LA...it's not supposed to rain. So we're riding in the rain, and I start laughing like a little kid. She hated it, and I loved it. Moral of the story....She's always right :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

2-up in the rain would scare the heck out of me. I am not a fan of riding in the rain—I've just gotten too wet, have slip and slid and decided it's not fun at all.

Thankfully, we only got a light shower up here in the SFV, not enough to really get the road wet. Still, as I looked out my office window, I had to think, "What the hell is that? Rain? Today?!"
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

what was the name of the Steve Martin movie he played a weather man
in Cali
italiaguy

Post by italiaguy »

LA Story
Attachments
telemacher1.jpg
telemacher1.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

ericalm wrote:2-up in the rain would scare the heck out of me. I am not a fan of riding in the rain—I've just gotten too wet, have slip and slid and decided it's not fun at all.

Thankfully, we only got a light shower up here in the SFV, not enough to really get the road wet. Still, as I looked out my office window, I had to think, "What the hell is that? Rain? Today?!"
I just didn't expect it today. Oops. It wasn't really scary...I just took it easy and took those big rain drops in my face like a champ :shock:
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I lucked out yesterday. I drove to work and then went to the Y to work out and it started to rain while I was working out, cats and dogs type rain. When my wife got done working out it was just sprinkling so pulled my cover off and just got sprinkles and avoided the puddles. :wink:
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

It's been raining off and on all week here in Akron. My husband and I got caught in it two separate days, on separate bikes. One was 5 minutes from home, but the other was 40 minutes away. Both were not heavy downpours but fairly steady. Bad timing.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Gray skies today but I decided to take the scoot anyway. On the way back to the office it started to sprinkle. Of course I got stuck at every red light! Made it back before it started to actually rain, though, for which I'm grateful. I hate riding in the rain. Kudos to you for actually enjoying it!
Push You Down

Post by Push You Down »

...it looks to have mostly cleared up but I'd a leetle bit wary of the ride hme tonight. I'm only going five miles... but ohhh what a five miles they'll be if it's slick.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I love riding in the rain as long as I have my rain gear. I don't however, like the idea of riding 2-up and I'm sure that could get kinda sketchy in the rain.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Push You Down

Post by Push You Down »

I had a great ride that night.

Two of my favorite things.. the rain... and scooting

The rain was a light drizzle and the roads and traffic weren't too bad. Once I eased into it, it became an enjoyable ride.

This morning it was pouring sheets of rain... I thought about it.... and thought about it.

I took the car today.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Push You Down wrote:I had a great ride tht night.

Two of my favorite things.. the rain... and scooting

The rain was a light drizzle and the raods and traffic weren't too bad. Once I eased into it, it became an enjoyable ride.

This morning it was pouring sheets of rain... I thought about it.... and thought about it.

I took the car today.
Now it's nice and sunny out :lol: Guess you'll just have to ride after work
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Push You Down wrote:This morning it was pouring sheets of rain... I thought about it.... and thought about it.

I took the car today.
I've been peering out the window all morning—scooter time yet? Scooter time yet? How 'bout now?

It was sunny for about 10 minutes in North Hollywood about an hour ago. Whatever, not raining now. I want to ride!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

ericalm wrote:
Push You Down wrote:This morning it was pouring sheets of rain... I thought about it.... and thought about it.

I took the car today.
I've been peering out the window all morning—scooter time yet? Scooter time yet? How 'bout now?

It was sunny for about 10 minutes in North Hollywood about an hour ago. Whatever, not raining now. I want to ride!
Well, not to brag or anything. But it's blue skies and sunny here in LB :lol:
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

On Wednesday the sky over DC opened up and unleashed, like, golf-ball size raindrops. Who has two thumbs and found himself wetter than wet on the 395 during rush-hour? THIS GUY. Way more terrifying than refreshing.

But, I can say with impunity that the Corazzo 5.0 is a mother-flippin rain resistant jacket. My shirt was the only dry thing I wore by the time I got home.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Hurts, doesn't it?
I remember getting caught in November, just above freezing, when the raindrops felt like needles.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Beamster wrote:Hurts, doesn't it?
I remember getting caught in November, just above freezing, when the raindrops felt like needles.
needles and pins
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I don't mind riding in rain, so long as a few conditions are met.

1: FULL FACE HELMET (I'm not fond of 3/4 personally, but that would work with a face shield). Raindrops of any diameter just plain hurt at 50 mph.
2: Motorcycle jacket and pants; both waterproof. 8)
3: Waterproof gloves that cover the cuffs of the jacket. Because rain up your sleeves = ruined mood.
4: A layer of padding under the motorcycle jacket. Again...raindrops at 50 mph HURT. :shock:
5: Some kind of towel to wipe off the bugs that inevitably come out after the rain stops. I mean...wow. It's just gross. I thought it had started lightly raining again...then one splats on my face shield. I pull over at a gas station to clean off my helmet, and the front of my jacket's no longer black.... :bleh: I've been slimed, I mean, bugged.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I got caught out in a thunderstorm last Friday..... pea sized hail!! HAIL it hurt!!!! 40-45mph even with face shield on my 3/4 helmet it bloodied my lip!!!! DIDN'T have a single dry spot on me when I got home, about 10 mins..... But the Scoot was clean! :D
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

When I picked up my new scoot on May 1st, I showed up with a beanie helmet and light jacket. Two minutes into the ride home from the dealership, it began to rain---hard. Face was stinging like hell, and I forgot my glasses. Pulled over more than once to wipe my face off. And on the first day of riding it. Sucked.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
needles and pins
Ramones? Deftones? Wu-Tang?
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

black sunshine wrote:
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
needles and pins
Defo Ramones :lol:
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

ScootStevie wrote:
black sunshine wrote:
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:needles and pins
Defo Ramones :lol:
:lol:

Da Defo Ru-Tang clan aint nuttin to "F" wit!
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I gotta get out and ride in the rain again!!!! :lol: The scoot needs a shower!
Was out late last night, the whole front end is coated with mayfly corpses!! I had to pull over at least once to clear my face shield.....
Mmmmmm..... Yummy!
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

In Ellicott City it feels like we have had more rainy days than dry days. Last month 20 out of the 31 days had some rainfall so this time of year I always keep a rain suit in the Buddy. Currently my favorite rain suit is a Frogg Toggs Road Toad.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
kneil67@yahoo.com

black sunshine wrote:
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
needles and pins
do your parents know your ramones (rock and roll highscool)
Queen

Post by Queen »

I don't mind riding in the rain on the way home from work but if it's raining as I'm getting ready to leave I'll pass. I hate that soggy feeling that lasts most of the day.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Hell these days the people that "Know" the Ramones are the parents... :cry: :wink:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Wheelz wrote:Hell these days the people that "Know" the Ramones are the parents... :cry: :wink:
I went to Ramones last show. Great gig. I'm also friends with Barbara (which is Dee Dee's widow) It's funny how huge they're getting now that they all kicked the bucket (except Tommy)
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

it looks like it's gonna rain and I'm about to go fro a ride! Bring it on, I'll be like Lt. Dan in forest gump "You'll never sink this scoot!" Was gonna go the the evrglades 2-day but the rain is stopping me. I'll have to wait till wednesday.
kneil67@yahoo.com

ScootStevie wrote:
Wheelz wrote:Hell these days the people that "Know" the Ramones are the parents... :cry: :wink:
I went to Ramones last show. Great gig. I'm also friends with Barbara (which is Dee Dee's widow) It's funny how huge they're getting now that they all kicked the bucket (except Tommy)
I saw marky Ramone
playing drums with the Misfits 3 or 4 yearrs ago
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I remember the Ramones..... I guess I'm old!?
When my then 13 y/o son had the chance to see the B52's two years ago, he was like *WTF* Dad????
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

There's allot more fun to be had in the rain.

I used to run out in the summer torrent with a bucket of soapy water and a sponge, bare footed in just cutoff shorts. Got the picture?

I distinctly remember the last time I did that, which was a lifetime ago, the lightening striking the pond about 40 yards down the hill.

Whoopie! The tingle gets your attention.

I still run out when the booms and strikes close in, but sneeks and no sponge in hand balance the odds a bit. Storm chaser at heart since I coan remember.
Last edited by Beamster on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KABarash wrote:
When my then 13 y/o son had the chance to see the B52's two years ago, he was like *WTF* Dad????
I still see a lot of kids in Ramones t-shirts, so they're not entirely forgotten by the youth of today. I saw them a couple times. And Joey sat next to me at a bowling alley once. The rest of the band followed. I kind of looked up, did a double take, and went, "Uh, hey."
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

KABarash wrote:

A few years ago I was speaking with a younger employee at my workplace. I noticed his Agnostic Front tee and started comparing notes on bands. When I mentioned the Ramones, he gave me the "you saw the Ramones?" question in the same way that you might say "you were at Woodstock ?" Instant aging !
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

It's still better than driving a car.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Joey sat next to me at a bowling alley once. The rest of the band followed. I kind of looked up, did a double take, and went, "Uh, hey."
Surely you meant to say, "Gabba gabba hey," or at least "Uh, hey ho"?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

DanteG wrote:
KABarash wrote:

A few years ago I was speaking with a younger employee at my workplace. I noticed his Agnostic Front tee and started comparing notes on bands. When I mentioned the Ramones, he gave me the "you saw the Ramones?" question in the same way that you might say "you were at Woodstock ?" Instant aging !
EXACTLY!!! Was with co-workers at dinner a while back and the conversation did turn to concerts, being the eldest there, I was asked What was the first concert you went to? I HAD to be honest, YES it WAS Woodstock!!!! I was however just in my late 'single-digits' BUT I was there!! It's a looooooooong story, but my older sister did get into lots of trouble when my parents found out!

Oh yeah..... it rained like HELL that weekend too, didn't it??
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

[/quote]
EXACTLY!!! Was with co-workers at dinner a while back and the conversation did turn to concerts, being the eldest there, I was asked What was the first concert you went to? I HAD to be honest, YES it WAS Woodstock!!!! I was however just in my late 'single-digits' BUT I was there!! It's a looooooooong story, but my older sister did get into lots of trouble when my parents found out!

Oh yeah..... it rained like HELL that weekend too, didn't it??[/quote]

One of my "smart" high school buddies, a fellow that had a PERFECT SAT score went; it was the end of senior year. He proceeded to get asked to leave college in the 2nd semester.
That event had a profound effect on many.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

OK, I will definitely date myself here (but hey, a date's a date!)... my first concert...

THE MONKEES!!!

I was all of 8 years old and went with my father! So much screaming you could barely hear the music. Thanks Dad! If that ain't love, I don't know what is :lol:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:OK, I will definitely date myself here (but hey, a date's a date!)... my first concert...

THE MONKEES!!!

I was all of 8 years old and went with my father! So much screaming you could barely hear the music. Thanks Dad! If that ain't love, I don't know what is :lol:
So..... You remember when the Beatles first landed at JFK Air Port? Back then it was still called Idlewild Air Port! (I think) I lived not too far from there, I remember Dad saying something about traffic.... I think it WAS the FIRST recorded incidence af 'grid lock' in the NY metro area!!!!!!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

KABarash wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:OK, I will definitely date myself here (but hey, a date's a date!)... my first concert...

THE MONKEES!!!

So..... You remember when the Beatles first landed at JFK Air Port? Back then it was still called Idlewild Air Port! (I think) I lived not too far from there, I remember Dad saying something about traffic.... I think it WAS the FIRST recorded incidence af 'grid lock' in the NY metro area!!!!!!
Yes but was it raining?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Wheelz wrote:
KABarash wrote:

THE MONKEES!!!

Yes but was it raining?
That I don't remember!
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I keep my Frogg Toggs in the Buddy at all times. I ride in the rain to/from work all the time. I kind of like it and it's the one time I can be assured that the big cruiser bikes have not taken the choice motorcycle parking spaces close to my office downtown.

Hail is a different story, along with tornado or really high wind situations.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Vic

Post by Vic »

I recently purchased the Corazzo "lap apron" (I prefer scooter skirt :wink: ) and have given it a go in the rain.

I am short enough that I can tuck the bottom edge of the skirt under my toes to keep it down and keep dry. I love my scooter skirt! It is also not a pain to get in and out of like my rain pants are. No more stopping on the side of the road and fighting my rain pants over my shoes as I try to balance on one foot while standing in a puddle. I just flip the scooter skirt open, fasten it around my waist, hop back on my scooter and off I go.

-v
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Vic wrote:I recently purchased the Corazzo "lap apron" (I prefer scooter skirt :wink: ) and have given it a go in the rain.

I am short enough that I can tuck the bottom edge of the skirt under my toes to keep it down and keep dry. I love my scooter skirt! It is also not a pain to get in and out of like my rain pants are. No more stopping on the side of the road and fighting my rain pants over my shoes as I try to balance on one foot while standing in a puddle. I just flip the scooter skirt open, fasten it around my waist, hop back on my scooter and off I go.

-v
This is a good idea I've never thought of. But I'm 6'4" so maybe it wouldn't be as good for me with my spider legs :shock: