6pm deadline story today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Alix B

6pm deadline story today

Post by Alix B »

Hey all. It's first day of journalism class.
Doing a story on scooters. We have a 6pm deadline.

I'm interested in new scooterists. Tell me if you were nervous and if that (hopefully it has) changed--and what helped you become more confident.

Thanks.
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

simple enough ... MSF and experience. Good luck with your assignment.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Got a great email from a newbie after our Scootenanny the other day.
Said riding with others gave him more confidence-i'll send it in a bit.

check this out..

http://www.myfoxcharlotte.com/myfox/pag ... 1.1&sflg=1
louie

Post by louie »

that's easy to remember. i took the msc then rode in larger and larger concentric circles starting in the parking lot, then into the street, neighborhood and beyond. what can i say, i'm brittle and cautious in my old age and if i'd told my mom at the time that's the way she would have me do it... :wink:

let us give it a read when your done.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I think a first time rider would be a little not right in the head if they weren't nervous. Multiple factors gave me the butterflies.

Brand new (and expensive) unfamiliar vehicle (complete with a handy gas tank and a tendency to fall down): fear of damaging new expensive vehicle.

New to riding and unfamiliarity with the concept first hand: Fear of damaging myself

Knowing full well the path that I had to take to get it home in this vehicularly homicidal city: Fear for my life.

I rode it around a parking lot (Behind Scoot Richmond) for about an hour familiarizing myself with the controls and what not and how it handled then cautiously took some side streets home.

The nervousness passed quickly. The fun of it helped, but practice was what took away the edge.

Of course, if I were giving advice to new riders, I'd say take a short cut to confidence and take the MSF (was booked solid for 6 months when I bought my first) if they can get in.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Of course I was nervous. I was comfortable with two-wheeling on my bicycle, but the engine had way more power than I was used to providing with my legs, the scooter had way more mass to fight with, and when riding in traffic I couldn't just cling to the curb and let the cars zip past me. Turns were harrowing: over 400lbs of mass being put through a 90º course change in just a few meters, balancing on two wheels that were both acting as gyroscopes and providing the friction-dependent centripetal force to make it all happen... knowing the physics involved only made it more nerve-wracking. To make matters worse, the friend who dropped me off to pick up the new horse wanted me to follow him in his car and go out for dinner, so if I goofed up, I'd have an audience.

I fairly quickly got over that nervousness by practice. I found an empty parking lot to practice turns and stops, and figure out the difference between swerving on a bike and on a scooter (i.e. not all that much). Replacing the bicycle helmet and windbreaker I wore home from the dealer with a 3/4 helmet, mesh/textile motorcycle jacket, and a pair of gloves made me feel safe enough to start taking turns at more than 2mph, and so on, to the point that I'm now doing it "right".
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

As a new scooterist, I was never nervous. Why?? I don't know. For some reason I'm never scared of anything. I drive heavy equipment at work, and do very dangerous jobs there. So I take things cautious....but am just not a nervous person. Although I admit I am easing into another zone of comfort which is good. Good luck on that assignment Alix :wink:
donkin

Post by donkin »

My 2 cents worth:

MSF class - Was able to ride my scoot in class. But no matter what you learn on - It's worth it!

It really helped to learn to look where you want to go, you will go there.

Lots of parking lot practice. Let me take it easy and try things at my own pace.

Read Proficient Motorcycling.

I enjoyed riding with another scoot. It helped me learn.

ModernBuddy.com - Being able to ask the community questions and learn from their experiences really helped me.

- Don
Member 2166
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Thank You all so much! I really appreciate the responses!

I really wish I had taken the MSF class, but it was booked solid. I learned how to ride when I went cross country.

At some point, it seems that it becomes natural--the process of scanning the road and mirrors, expecting the worst, yet still getting the best out of the ride!

My confession is that I was scared the front wheel would fall off. :cry: