What Does It Mean?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Corsair

What Does It Mean?

Post by Corsair »

I can't help but to see that there is definitely a culture behind scootering. For some it's good times, wild nights and even wilder rallies. Others a sort of nostalgia of times past. Or, hey, it could just be a need for speed? Whether you see art in it or a cool looking way to get around town, what does owning a scooter mean to you?

Recently, owning a scooter has become pretty important to me. Maybe in the beginning it was just something cool and not to mention a logical alternative to the "cage". Now though, something has changed. The thought of all the mods that can be done, giving it my own personal touch. The places it can take me. The people to meet along the way. It's become more personal. It's become almost a symbol of being free. Free to travel, explore, see. Free to... just be... I guess it's a bit beyond words now (even though I still think it's cool!) I don't know what exactly the feeling is but I do know one thing... it is something special.

Queue Jimi Hendrix "Voodoo Chile"

8)
Last edited by Corsair on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Yep, Corsair...it becomes an extension of yourself. You customize it to suit your personality and since it is so...so, well..."use-able", you can actually ride it according to your personality. Fast, slow, quick, blast through corners, mosey through the bends... You'll even find yourself talking to it as you ride. I've owned and built hot-rods, choppers, motorcycles, scooters, go-peds...and I've found that this is true more of scooters than any other conveyance. And yeah, some scooterists get wild and party and all, but to me, its been that peculiar connection with the scooter itself that makes me keep coming back to them.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Corsair,

It started out for me as a logical way to lessen my dependence on the bus, without all the expense of owning a 2nd car just for commuting.

Turns out I have a lot of fun riding, and I've started meeting some people I may not otherwise have met. They've all been pretty cool so far.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
DO3

Post by DO3 »

Like you said, scooters seem to mean something different to everybody. Everything I'm trying to change or don't like about my scoot point to buying a motorcycle or a larger maxi scoot, but for some reason the small frame, small foot print scoots are what I'm drawn to. I think a lot of your questions will be answered once you take possesion and start putting the miles on. Who knows what you'll find.
dru_

Post by dru_ »

It's not just scooters, it's two wheels in general. Until you spend time on a scooter or motorcycle, you don't get it. It's freedom. It's the wind in the face. It's riding past a blooming gardenia and smelling it. It's riding past a horse farm (and smelling it). It's cresting a hill near sunset while enjoying a perfect ride and catching a perfect sunset. It's catching the perfect line through a corner. It's sitting at a stop light in traffic and having a conversion with the random scooter/motocycle rider that pulls up next to you.

It's all of those things, and more, but until you do it, you don't get it.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

dru_ wrote:It's not just scooters, it's two wheels in general. Until you spend time on a scooter or motorcycle, you don't get it. It's freedom. It's the wind in the face. It's riding past a blooming gardenia and smelling it. It's riding past a horse farm (and smelling it). It's cresting a hill near sunset while enjoying a perfect ride and catching a perfect sunset. It's catching the perfect line through a corner. It's sitting at a stop light in traffic and having a conversion with the random scooter/motocycle rider that pulls up next to you.

It's all of those things, and more, but until you do it, you don't get it.
The points covered in this thread and especially in the above quote are all right on the money, whether they apply directly to you or not. I'll add one other thing that's become one of the things I live for...

When you drive a car or ride any sort of 2 wheeler, you're usually very aware of the vehicle around or under you. But there are times on a scooter or a motorcycle where something happens and...well, it's hard to explain. A lot of folks like to say that their bike vanishes beneath them. It's that old cliche of 2 wheeling being the closest thing to flying without a plane. The bike becomes a true extension of you and it seems like mere thoughts are guiding you through the twisties or traffic or whatever. I feel this just often enough that it remains special. Sometimes it's in the canyons at fairly high speeds, sometimes it's cruising down Tejon street in the middle of Denver. Days or weeks can go by without me experiencing it at all.

It doesn't last long so be ready for it. And I don't think there's anyway to replicate this in a car. Well, maybe a Lotus Elise?
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
paige

Post by paige »

Being in a Lotus Elise feels more like riding a recumbent bicycle than the unconscious relaxed looseness of a good scooter ride.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I got mine so I could pick up dudes.
ModBud #442
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

polianarchy wrote:I got mine so I could pick up dudes.
Me, too!

kidding! :P
JuliaGrace

Post by JuliaGrace »

I'd pretty much decided I "needed" my own scoot after riding bitch with the former S.O. Not only was the convenience factor attractive (such as easy parking in notoriously-difficult-to-park neighborhoods), it was fun once I overcame my fear of being blown off the scoot if we went over 40mph.

How shocked he'd be if he knew that I have since taken my own scoot up to 65mph in Nevada's desert canyons, and that I will ride in the pouring rain without hesitation (he wouldn't let me even ride bitch when it was sprinkling). :wink:

Needless to say, my "cage" now only comes out of the garage for out-of-town trips...that is, until I obtain a freeway-legal scoot someday :)
- Julie
Keys

Post by Keys »

Way to go, Julie! You're my kinda girl! I ride every day, too...rain, snow or shine and there's a grin on my face every time!

As for freeway legal, they are supposed to be coming out with a 177cc kit for the Buddy which should be legal in most places. I've also heard it makes 'em screamin' fast!! I GOTTA have one!!!! Maybe my wife won't outrun me on her Helix after that...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Same here Julie. You deserve a much smarter S.O. :D
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Replicating the scooter experience in a car... or car-like thing:
The Carver-based VentureOne! My next vehicle. Maybe.

The Buddy is developing a culture all its own. I think its appeal—price, aethetics, performance—make it very appealing to a much broader group than traditional scooter buyers (mods, gearheads, collectors, geeks, students, etc.). The interesting part is that it's attracting both new scooterists as well as those experienced on 2-wheels who are buying it as something extra or just for fun.

While I've owned a motorcycle in the past and would consider owning another someday, I've become a devoted scooterist. I'd more likely get a GTS or Aprilia SportCity 250.

My 20+ year scooter obsession was not sated by owning one; it got worse. Less than a year later there was another in the garage (the wife's Buddy) and we both talk about our "next scoots." It's given me an even greater appreciation for living in SoCal and made it hard to think of living in a place where the cold or heat would prevent me from scooting year 'round.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Keys wrote:Way to go, Julie! You're my kinda girl! I ride every day, too...rain, snow or shine and there's a grin on my face every time!

As for freeway legal, they are supposed to be coming out with a 177cc kit for the Buddy which should be legal in most places. I've also heard it makes 'em screamin' fast!! I GOTTA have one!!!! Maybe my wife won't outrun me on her Helix after that...

--Keys 8)
Keys,

I don't ride in snow, but I did ride in rain yesterday, even saw another scooter downtown next to me, also in the rain. I had fun despite the weather. :)

I ride almost every day on a 50mph posted road where I'm usually WOT a good part of the way for about 2.5 miles. Indicated 65 - 70 and I am thinking that's plenty fast enough for me on the Buddy with cars all around me.

A 177 kit sounds interesting, but I don't know. While I like the idea of more top end if I need it, I don't see myself riding the Buddy on an Interstate. I think I would want something a little bigger/heavier with taller wheels for that.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Speaking as a guy with a tired butt from leaving at 9:30 this morning, to scoot via some delightful country roads from 60 miles north of Atlanta (Cumming), to 40 miles east of Atlanta (Madison) doing the rally ride (about 45 minutes around Madison) and then grabbing lunch, visiting for an hour or so and then reversing the trip to come back home, I can confirm that I want nothing to do with a non-scooter, but I want a bigger maxi-scoot for these trips :-). Not so much for the power, but for the big, cushy, plush seats with backrests :-). 300 miles in 80 degree, sunny weather on my people 250 was a great ride, but it's seat just isn't well suited to this kind of ride.

Despite that, I had a *great* day. 250 miles on $8 of gas, $3.50 on cokes and a peppermint patty. $7.50 for lunch. ~10 hours of unadulterated fun ? Priceless.

So, anyone want a slightly used, People 250 that I can confirm will do an indicated 88 mph (probably 74 actual) :-) I think I see a Scarabeo 500 in my near future :-), with a Buddy 125 for in town / short hops, and the Beo for anything over an hour in the saddle.

The route for poster(ior)ity:

louie

Post by louie »

Sounds like you visited the fist city rally. Birmingham had several ride many miles many hours to get there.
When you're ready to get rid of that people let me know. My mate is looking for a scooter to go with his old shovel head. He's in no hurry just waiting for funds and the right scooter to come available at the same time.

I ride for the same reason I paddle my own boat, the feel I get when my actions create the movement. I guess you might call it control but that sounds pushy, this is pure joy.
Julie, I had a similar situation. Tandom in the canoe, passenger on my mates motorcyle wasn't enough. It's great to see his reaction when I suit up and ride off. Chemistry, ain't it great?
Last edited by louie on Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockgirl

Post by rockgirl »

My scooter purchase started as a fiscally responsible idea. We don't need 2 cars since my husband and I own our own company and commute together. The only time we go our seperate ways is when I go to school 2 nights a week. The Buddy seemed like a great alternative to 20 mpg and a car payment.

What I didn't know at the time of purchase was just how much fun it is to ride. As a long-time mountain biker, I love the wind in my face and know the feeling of having your bike (or scooter) disappear beneath you and your movements and turns are natural and instinctual. I can't help but smile whenever I'm cruising around town. I've even thought about someday buying more of a "touring" scoot just to head up to the mountains for the day.