Blur SS220i seat..

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mikie M.

Blur SS220i seat..

Post by Mikie M. »

Well, live and learn. I had a 'gel' pad in stalled in the seat of my new Blur. The guy who did the work did an excellent job. You can't tell that it's there. I put the seat back on my SS and went for a ride on a bunch of twistys just outside of town.
First: I noticed that the seat height had changed, but only slightly.
Second: It was hard as a rock sitting on it.
Third: After an hour my butt was in agony.
Fourth: I'm out $120 and will spend another $79 plus shipping, for another seat.
Crikies!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks for being the guinea pig... :) :shock:

FWIW: I get extra padding for my seat from McDonalds and Burger King. Just keep eating there and you'll have plenty of padding. :lol:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

Eating really isn't a problem. It's my age. You see, as we mature our posterior padding moves to a different location on the anatomy.
In other words, I'm 64 years old and my ass fell off. :cry:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

LOL: That's true, mine seems to be going north... :shock:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

Got a new seat in for my SS from Scooterworks. Prompt service as usual King Friday. Anyway, it is now back to normal after the gel-pad fiasco. This winter I think I'll take the old seat apart and see if I can identify the problem with the gel-pad. My initial thoughts are that a gel-pad (being similar to water) can be displaced but not compressed. In other words if it doesn't have enough room to move around in there it won't be effective. We'll see.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

ive got a blur seat here off my 150 if you are interested. It looks practically new. You can have it for $40
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

gearhead wrote:ive got a blur seat here off my 150 if you are interested. It looks practically new. You can have it for $40
You're a day late and $50 short.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

DEC 2010

I've bee told by Scooterworks that the Blur 220si seat will fit on the old Blur 150.

If you are 6' or taller, you'll want to think about this new seat as it feels way better on longer rides and doesn't push you forward like the original throne.... and your underwear won't bunch up ... just sayin'
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

blurblaine wrote:DEC 2010

I've bee told by Scooterworks that the Blur 220si seat will fit on the old Blur 150.

If you are 6' or taller, you'll want to think about this new seat as it feels way better on longer rides and doesn't push you forward like the original throne.... and your underwear won't bunch up ... just sayin'
I don't know if I'd go that far. It's an improvement, but only just a hair. It's still the scoot's weakest link.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

BTW - Scooterworks told me yesterday that they wanted $174 for a new 220si seat + shipping :-(
so that makes me wonder where mikie m is getting $79 seats?
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

When I bought a new seat to replace the failed "gel-pad" experiment I went to Scooter Lounge first. Their OEM Blur seats where $89, but they were out of stock at the time. I then called Scooterworks, who had the seats in stock, and asked if they would meet, or beat the $89 and they sold it me one for that price.
As an aside, this Spring I plan to dissect the old seat and remove, or replace some of the bracing on the underneath side, especially the rib that goes from side to side underneath the tailbone. This may negate putting a full-face helmet in the pet carrier, but so be it. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
P.S. I just looked it up to make sure, and I see that I bought the new seat from Scooterworks on Oct. 5, 2010, for $90 even, and that included shipping.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

22 JAN 2011

in case anyone is wondering, scooterworks is no longer willing to sell a new 220si seat for $90... quoted me the $174 - 10% discount + shipping
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250

BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Seems like seats are one of the most popular subjects on any bike board. And the reason is that most seats are uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Seats are too narrow. Period. A narrow seat means too much of your weight is being supported at the sitz bones - every seat modification aims at making these contact points as comfortable as possible by proper padding or by reducing the load at those points.

Reducing the load is much easier if you have a wide seat that cradles your butt - like an expensive office chair or sportscar seat. But unless you have an extraordinarily low seat height, you can't put your feet on the ground if you have a nice wide comfy seat.

Craig Vetter dealt with that issue back in the 70s with his Magic Seat Board - a piece of flat wood that fits around the front of a motorcycle seat, which comfortably supports the thighs - taking weight of the hinder. It works great, and many long distant riders love his design, but it can only be in place after you settle in for a long cruise because it keeps you from putting your feet to the ground - you have to put it in place by hand while you are in motion, and remove it by hand before you attempt to stop.

The Butty Buddy is a wide cradle seat designed for passengers. It fits over the pillion seat and gives comfortable support that narrow pillion saddles cannot.

Now here's my thought. On a scooter we aren't always as locked into as fixed a seating position as most motorcycles. A lot of Blur riders dislike the hump on the saddle precisely because we like to slide back on the seat when settled in for cruising, but we slide forward when riding slow and when we need to have a foot ready to touch pavement. Why not have a saddle that is narrow in front, and wide and cradled in back? Think of it being like inserting the Butty Buddy in the middle of the seat, and extending it back.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Many after-market seat makers/modifiers have figured out that a wider support base is the way to create longer duration comfort. Below is a photo of a Russell day-long seat on an MP3 (Russell is located in N. Cal near Redding)
Attachments
Russell seat.jpg
Russell seat.jpg (154.1 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Dooglas wrote:Many after-market seat makers/modifiers have figured out that a wider support base is the way to create longer duration comfort. Below is a photo of a Russell day-long seat on an MP3 (Russell is located in N. Cal near Redding)
Now that is what I'm talking about. For the Blur it would need a longer nose for when you need to flat foot it - particularly for us shorter folk, and lose the lip in back to allow more slide back for the pilot or room for a passenger.

Something like this:
Attachments
only make it pretty
only make it pretty
Saddle2.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
docjones

Post by docjones »

So what are you guys telling me. The stock Blur seat sucks. That's no good. I was hoping for more comfort in my next scooters seat. Currently my 09 Kymco Agility 125 is fairly comfy for an hour or two. I think it is hard to get a feel for the comfort level of a seat when your sitting on the scoot on the showroom floor and all you can think of is how cool is this?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

It's really not THAT bad, but on an otherwise stellar scoot, a little discomfort showing up is noticeable. It's easily solved with an Alaskan Leather Butt-pad.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

docjones wrote:So what are you guys telling me. The stock Blur seat sucks. That's no good. I was hoping for more comfort in my next scooters seat. Currently my 09 Kymco Agility 125 is fairly comfy for an hour or two. I think it is hard to get a feel for the comfort level of a seat when your sitting on the scoot on the showroom floor and all you can think of is how cool is this?
I must be the only one who finds the stock seat comfortable. Bothers me not in the least.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

The Blur 150 seat is fine for the first hour, and I'll take their word for it that the 220i is improved. That's not bad for a small scooter - and It would be absurd to reject the best ride available in a scooter because of it.

But for long rides and highway cruises - which the 220i is perfectly capable of, an upscale option would be great.