Battery Question

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

shdyldy

Battery Question

Post by shdyldy »

I have a Blur 150 and seem to have trouble starting it while its still a little chilly out. I usually just take out the battery and give it a quick charge. I was wondering if its safe to just leave the battery out of the scooter while not in use. Thanks for any help or suggestions!
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

I actually remove the negative connection (and stick that black foam spacer that sits in the battery box between the wire and the terminal so they won't touch) in the winter to keep my battery fresher. it keeps the clock from slowly draining it over time.

some folks use a battery tender, but i've used this 'negative pull' method on my scooter for 5 years and on all of my classic cars and it works great. my original 2006 blur battery was replaced last year for the first time ... so this method works, even in the freezing ohio winter.

the battery nut that the negative terminal screw goes into can move around and is sometimes hard to 'find' to start the screw. so, i have added a small piece of clear rubber tubing (you could cut down a square piece of a plumbing washer or whatever you have) and slide it under the battery nut (you'll see a wider slot to slip this into while looking at the side of the battery and the terminal connection housing) so that the nut won't move (or slide out of the battery terminal housing) and it makes it super easy to take the negative off and on without any problem.

of course you can totally remove the battery and store in a warmer climate if you live on a really cold climate ... but i didn't think frenso had that problem! Most folks that 'pull' the battery will put it on a small rubber mat with edges (or a similar device), but i've never seen these modern units spill battery acid out...

~~~~~~~~~~

When starting in the cold, i crack the throttle up (around half throttle max) for about 2 seconds and release and then hit the starter. Mine will start and stay running 1st time every time when I do this... but you have to let it cycle through the normal warm-up and wait for it to idle back down on its own after a few minutes, or it will sometimes stall if you mess with the throttle at all during the warm-up.
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
shdyldy

Post by shdyldy »

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try and see what happens. It may be another problem because it cranks over but just not enough to start and unfortunately no place out here knows anything about Genuine scooters.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

could just need a new ... stronger battery.

could be a gummy carb ... varnish build up. there are a few other threads discussing this.

could be a bit of both ... but i doubt it would anything else.

good luck,
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!