What style helmet do you wear?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Full face
46%
Full face flip
16%
Three quarter
24%
Half
12%
None
1%

Total votes: 140

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

No judgments here, at least from me. Since the subject came up in another thread, let's have a little poll. Once you vote, you might also consider giving some reasons why you wear the style you wear.

I own a 3/4 and a full face. Since I bought the full face I've worn the 3/4 maybe once. Aside from the obvious safety factor, a good fitting full face has less lift at speed and is far quieter.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I bought the full face because I've dumped bikes before. There's something about sliding along wondering if the snap-on bubble face shield on your 3/4 helmet is going to pop off, wear through, or hold out until you stop that makes you want the added protection.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

thanks for starting this poll. I plan on getting a full face, possibly a modular (flip up).
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Full face for full protection on my commute because you never know what might happen. However, with the spring and warmer temps on the way, I've been very tempted to get an open face when I know I'll be taking shorter trips or riding slowly in a group ride.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Full Face.

One of the most common accidents for 2-wheelers is vehicles turning in front of you. In the event that this happens to me, I'd prefer as much protection between my face and their metal cage as possible.

Have you ever skinned your chin falling off a bicycle? Now add asphalt and a higher speed...
Keys

Post by Keys »

As I posted on another thread, I have two helmets I wear. A 1/4 skid-lid type with a lot of cool stickers I wear with goggles during the warmer months and my open-face Z1R Metro with either dark smoke or clear full face-shield for cooler times.

I once had a bad experience when a hornet joined me inside my full face helmet. I guess he flew up between my chin and the edge. We REALLY didn't get along well. I yelled and spit and all sorts of vile things and he danced around inside and stung the heck out of me. Many times. I ended up just dumping the bike on it's side at the side of the road and throwing the helmet as far as I could. Haven't have a full-face since...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I think that riders are going to wear whatever they want to wear. We should all know the risks and know what can happen in a crash... anyone who doesn't probably shouldn't be riding.

We've all got our own reasons for wearing the type of helmet we wear, various experiences, circumstances and justifications. I'm not sure that it's possible to sway anyone to wear something else. I also don't think that what anyone else wears should influence a decision on type of helmet to buy. Assess the risk, decide how much you can live with, and go from there.

Discussions of helmets tend to get a little ugly; people get somewhat judgmental and defensive when it comes to this topic... it's happened before on this forum, MV, just about anywhere it's discussed.

So, as a preemptive reminder, please remember to read and stick to the Posting Guidelines, particularly the section on helmets and helmet laws.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I wear a full face Scorpion when commuting or for long fast rides. I'll grab the 3/4 with face sheild if I'm putting around town or giving my kids around the neighborhood. They wear a youth sized full face.
weebl

Post by weebl »

I've got a scorpion full face. I wanted to get the ff-flip kind, but apparently I have an oddly shaped head. The small was too small and the medium was too big.

When I first got my helmet, it seemed really really tight. Now it seems like I probably could have gone with one a wee bit smaller. I'm not sure if that's because the foam has started to fit my noggin, or if I just acclimated to wearing the helmet (it's my first ff helmet). Anyone else had that happen?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Full face Bell Sprint for me, same reasons people normally have for a full face. Since I rode all winter it was nice to have.

Now that it's getting warmer I can see the allure of an open face helmet, but I won't be buying another helmet anytime soon.

weebl, I had the same experience. My helmet was quite snug when I bought it in September, feels slightly loose now, particularly at high speed or on very windy days. Maybe my head is shrinking.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

ericalm wrote: I'm not sure that it's possible to sway anyone to wear something else. I also don't think that what anyone else wears should influence a decision on type of helmet to buy.
While I definitely appreciate the preemtive strike to keep out the negativism, I disagree. Not that I believe we can sway those who feel strongly, or that we should try to. Those arguments are worthless negativism. But I have seen a lot of new riders about to buy a half helmet, who get some feedback and end up buying a full-face.

And smart or not, the perception is often "if everyone is doing it, it must be okay." So I think it helps to show the diversity of helmets people where and why. Someone who might not consider a full-face just because they think they'll look stupid in front of the cool kids, might reconsider if they see that the majority of riders where them. Or someone about to suffer from heat stroke might see that a lot of riders take on a bit more risk during the summer to be more comfortable in the heat... and buy a flip-up so they can drink more water in the summer. :wink:

My summer trade off might be a 3/4 that is a really bright color. I don't know, we'll see when summer arrives. Ultimately, we have to be aware of the risk and make our own decisions, and I think these conversations help make us actively think about the risk.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

weebl wrote: When I first got my helmet, it seemed really really tight. Now it seems like I probably could have gone with one a wee bit smaller. I'm not sure if that's because the foam has started to fit my noggin, or if I just acclimated to wearing the helmet (it's my first ff helmet). Anyone else had that happen?
Yeah, I think the padding compresses.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Thank GOODness! I was fearing my HEAD was compressing!!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sunshinen wrote:
ericalm wrote: I'm not sure that it's possible to sway anyone to wear something else. I also don't think that what anyone else wears should influence a decision on type of helmet to buy.
While I definitely appreciate the preemtive strike to keep out the negativism, I disagree. Not that I believe we can sway those who feel strongly, or that we should try to. Those arguments are worthless negativism. But I have seen a lot of new riders about to buy a half helmet, who get some feedback and end up buying a full-face.

And smart or not, the perception is often "if everyone is doing it, it must be okay." So I think it helps to show the diversity of helmets people where and why. Someone who might not consider a full-face just because they think they'll look stupid in front of the cool kids, might reconsider if they see that the majority of riders where them. Or someone about to suffer from heat stroke might see that a lot of riders take on a bit more risk during the summer to be more comfortable in the heat... and buy a flip-up so they can drink more water in the summer. :wink:

My summer trade off might be a 3/4 that is a really bright color. I don't know, we'll see when summer arrives. Ultimately, we have to be aware of the risk and make our own decisions, and I think these conversations help make us actively think about the risk.
Sorry, I misspoke there. I do think it's possible to influence people's helmet decisions—but much more difficult once that decision's been made and the longer the rider's been using the helmet in question. I also think the best way to sway someone is to avoid the kinds of emotional appeals, shaming, peer pressure and so on that usually starts up in these threads... But MB is a more mature, well-behaved group these days so thanks everyone for keeping this discussion in-bounds!

I don't think which helmet to buy should be an emotional decision, or even one based on poll results. "What the cool kids are wearing" goes both ways and could influence someone who thought they needed a full face to go out and spend $400 on a Davida pudding bowl. So I stand by the "nut" of what I was saying:
ericalm wrote:Assess the risk, decide how much you can live with, and go from there.
...which is pretty much what you said, too.

Thanks to reading various forums and sites, I eventually realized that my pre-scooter-purchase decision to get a half helmet was hasty and based more on style and how I'd always envisioned myself on a scoot than safety. I'd already decided to upgrade when I had my own crash, which took out my half helmet.

I now ride with a solid 3/4 with a face shield (Nolan N-42). I have a big noggin, and would like a full modular but have yet to try one that fits. (Chin bar's useless when my chin protrudes too far out the bottom. Wonder what Leno wears?) It's kind of the same problem I have with pants: I just need to find one the right shape, and Dockers don't cut it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lou76

Post by lou76 »

Keys wrote:Thank GOODness! I was fearing my HEAD was compressing!!

--Keys 8)
i think your head is as compressed as its gonna get, keys....

i wear a full face because who wants to be alive if you are ugly?
JuliaGrace

Post by JuliaGrace »

I wear a full face Scorpion EXO-700. Previously, when I rode only as a passenger I wore a GMAX 3/4 face helmet - which I still have as well.

Incidentally, last weekend I removed the padding from the Scorpion for washing. Before the padding had dried I needed to run a quick errand, so I pulled out the GMAX. I have to say the difference was incredible. Having worn the Scorpion for 6 months the GMAX felt SO unsafe. I felt very exposed and vulnerable wearing it. :wink:

When I bought the Scorpion, it took a while to get used to the fit - it started off feeling too tight, but then it definitely loosened up. But I've been VERY happy with it. I'll hang onto the GMAX for emergencies, and because it has some sentimental value attached, but I'll never go back a 3/4 one for regular use. Summer heat is not an issue where I live, so I don't have to contend with that like others here.

I'm also in the market for a good flip-up (for convenience at rallies, etc.), but I haven't tried any out yet.

- Julie
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

weebl wrote: When I first got my helmet, it seemed really really tight. Now it seems like I probably could have gone with one a wee bit smaller. I'm not sure if that's because the foam has started to fit my noggin, or if I just acclimated to wearing the helmet (it's my first ff helmet). Anyone else had that happen?
A helmet should feel tight when new. It takes time for it to break in. The best advice I can give is to find a KNOWLEDGABLE dealer and let them fit you. I wear a KBC Freeze flip front. I was fitted by someone that has been to many seminars and training sessions, he knew alot more than I did. When i said it felt to tight he said "good, it looks like it will break in just right for you" It did. I like the flip front for a couple of reasons. I don't have to take off my glasses and try to get them back on. At the lights I can flip up the front and get a little extra air and a drink of water. I love that little cup holder area for a water bottle!! At A rally I had someone on a Vespa mention how cool that feature was so I put my hand in it and tossed her a granola bar!

Not David
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I promised my dad I would wear a full face helmet, and I got a sweet deal on the Icon Alliance from los internets. So far, my promise remains unbroken. When I first got the full-face, I felt really claustrophobic when I tried it on. Luckily, that was only a problem when I wear it indoors! Now I wheel my scooter outside of the garage and then put my helmet on in the driveway.

I did also buy a "summer" helmet that is 3/4 with a bubble face shield, and it is SNELL & DOT approved. Don't tell my dad!
ModBud #442
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Currently I've got an FF helmet, but my new FFF (full-face-flip?) is arriving tomorrow! :mrgreen: I'm particularly looking forward to having an integrated sun visor! 8)

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Which one is that Vit C?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

BuddyRaton wrote:Which one is that Vit C?
It's a Nolan N102 N-com, though I don't really care about the com part. I've been wanting a modular helmet for quite a while now, and my current lid is really starting to show it's age.

PS- 500 posts! :wha: I spend way too much time on here! :P
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I have the HJC CL-Max modular (flip-up) helmet and I really like it. I'm so pleased with it. I used to have a Vega Summit modular and liked that, too, but the HJC fits me better and is very comfortable. The quality seems a little higher, too.
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Which one is that Vit C?
It's a Nolan N102 N-com, though I don't really care about the com part. I've been wanting a modular helmet for quite a while now, and my current lid is really starting to show it's age.

PS- 500 posts! :wha: I spend way too much time on here! :P
The N-Coms are frequently cheaper than the non-N-Com versions on the Nolans and they're exactly the same except that they're ready to accept their ridiculously expensive comm systems.

I've been using a Nolan with the flip-down shaded visor for a while now and I'm still undecided about it. There are some models of Caberg helmets (I think) which have something similar on the inside of the main visor, which I might prefer. The shaded one is flipped up 90% of the time on mine and I'd remove it if I hadn't lost the hardware. :|
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

hangukhurley wrote:I have the HJC CL-Max modular (flip-up) helmet and I really like it. I'm so pleased with it. I used to have a Vega Summit modular and liked that, too, but the HJC fits me better and is very comfortable. The quality seems a little higher, too.
Does yours fog up much?
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I have the HJC CL-Max modular (flip-up) helmet and I really like it. I'm so pleased with it. I used to have a Vega Summit modular and liked that, too, but the HJC fits me better and is very comfortable. The quality seems a little higher, too.

Does yours fog up much?
No, I've never had either of the helmets fog up. Sometimes I open the face shield just a crack when I'm sitting at an intersection, though. Unfortunately, I don't ride as much as many of you guys/gals (i.e. I only have ~150 miles on Frenchy and I bought it in early September last year).
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: I've been using a Nolan with the flip-down shaded visor for a while now and I'm still undecided about it. There are some models of Caberg helmets (I think) which have something similar on the inside of the main visor, which I might prefer. The shaded one is flipped up 90% of the time on mine and I'd remove it if I hadn't lost the hardware. :|
That's the Caberg Justissimo, which is the helmet I really wanted to buy. The only problem was that they have very few shops that carry them, and the distributor seems unwilling to tell you which shops in a particular area actually have them. And since I could try on a Nolan and it fit well, I decided to go with that. Oh well.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Does any one know which red is closer in color to the red Buddy?

"CANDY RED"

or

"WINE"

Both are HJC CL-MAX helmets. We haven't been able to find the red ones at our local dealers to compare in person. Before ordering online we just wanted to see if anyone was familiar with the actual helmet color (because colors on computer screens vary).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wine is actually much darker and richer than it appears in the above pic, so probably red. I had another HJC in wine.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

thanks Eric. I knew the colors on the pics weren't accurate representations of how they would look in person.
EBee

Post by EBee »

I tried on full-face helmets and had problems with them since I wear glasses. Trying to get my hair out of my face, adjust my glasses, and scratch any itches just got really frustrating in a hurry. I fell in love with a Momo helmet but the price tag changed my mind real quick...ended up ordering a Bino Zox that's working pretty well for me.
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

with my current helmet...
(shoei rj air platinum)

... i actually don't mind wearing it.
2005 stella (blue) :: malossi kit, worb5 crank, 24e carb, TDR epoxy reeds, 22 tooth clutch
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

I just ordered my helmet today! Its an HJC CL-Max Modular in candy red. Its only $144 on www.newenough.com. I have tried it out several times at a couple of different shops and took the plunge today. The significant price difference is worth the wait.
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

I run a Dainese Airstream most of the time, if I plan on going out and pushing the bike I'll wear a Caberg V2. Most of the time on the scooter it's either the Dainese or a choice of three other HJC's. My wife wears a Scorpion with pink tribal art and sparkling silver butterflies.
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
Pita1963

Lot's of info but...

Post by Pita1963 »

Do the f/f and modular helmets fit in the under-seat storage properly? That is one of my big concerns since I don't really want to lug a brain-bucket with me everywhere. Again - thanks for all the opnions, this newbie is really getting an education!!

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

i just ordered an icon full face....we have some damn big mosquito's up here in alaska. it's our state bird. :shock:
jmazza

Re: Lot's of info but...

Post by jmazza »

Pita1963 wrote:Do the f/f and modular helmets fit in the under-seat storage properly? That is one of my big concerns since I don't really want to lug a brain-bucket with me everywhere. Again - thanks for all the opnions, this newbie is really getting an education!!

Robb

:nerd:
answered you in the other thread I think but some do, some don't. Depends on the helmet design and size. However, you can always lock it on the helmet hooks under the seat. The only issues there are it will get wet if it rains, or pooped in my a bird, etc. and it can be cut off and stolen (though if a thief is dumb enough to do that they are left with a helmet w/o a chin strap).
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

lojical1 wrote:I just ordered my helmet today! Its an HJC CL-Max Modular in candy red. Its only $144 on www.newenough.com. I have tried it out several times at a couple of different shops and took the plunge today. The significant price difference is worth the wait.
do you have a direct link to that page? i went to the general website and wasn't able to find the helmet you're referring to. i currently have a hjc cl-15 and really like it. thanks.:)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Click on "helmets/eyewear" and browse the "closed face flip up chin" category.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I'm wearing a Fulmer Modus modular in white (as you can see from my photo). It's an XXL and fits in the under-seat storage of both the Buddy and my Blur - though just barely.

I went modular so that I could wear sunglasses underneath it and also so that it would be easier to get on and off my noggin. It's also really nice to be able to flip the chin up and talk to people at stop lights or wherever without taking the lid off or moving the visor.

My only complaint about it is that without a windshield on the Blur, it's tough to get the right amount of venting into the helmet for ventilation without it making my eyes water. But a windshield will fix that. Oddly enough, without the windshield I have a better time with my eyes with the visor one notch open than I do with it closed. Very strange. I think on hot weather days, I may sport a set of goggles and leave the visor up or off.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Legend

Post by Legend »

Although I own three helmets, (half, half with a small visor and a half with a face shield) I admit that I do not wear one on a day to day basis. I guess I figure that when/if I bite it, I hope its at a high speed and ends it all. Rather that than be in a coma or a vegtable for the rest of my life. Just my .02 and I admit that I would never allow my wife or child to ride without one.

Please no flaming.....I don't tell you what to wear.
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Mine's a 3/4 with a face shield (not the snap-on kind, it's built in). I like it cuz it's almost as protective as a full-face, but it doesn't make me feel all claustrophobic... also I can flip it up at stop lights & talk to people. :wink:

oh yeah, it's an HJC CL-33. I used to black before I decided to make it more "visible"...
Last edited by KRUSTYburger on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

SteMer wrote:Click on "helmets/eyewear" and browse the "closed face flip up chin" category.
thanks, i'd already done that. they ask you to supply your email account for special pricing, which i did for a couple of the models. however, nothing comes near the $144 price that logical mentioned. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Legend wrote:Although I own three helmets, (half, half with a small visor and a half with a face shield) I admit that I do not wear one on a day to day basis. I guess I figure that when/if I bite it, I hope its at a high speed and ends it all. Rather that than be in a coma or a vegtable for the rest of my life. Just my .02 and I admit that I would never allow my wife or child to ride without one.

Please no flaming.....I don't tell you what to wear.
I'm certainly not trying to flame or convince you of anything... but for those still deciding:

I take the opposite approach. I read that most MC accidents happen at 30mph, so it seems that it's much more likely that not wearing a helmet would result in preventable brain damage rather than wearing a helmet keeping me alive in a circumstance where I might have preferred to die. (I'm a big fan of a living will and advance health care directives to help with that.) And I've heard a lot of stories where a helmet saved someone's brain from scrambling, and none where the family has wished their loved had not been wearing a helmet.

If someone's got my number, they've got my number. I wear gear and a FF helmet a) to do what I can to keep my brain, body, and teeth :D in good working order and b) for the sake of those who love me. How bad would I feel for my loved ones if some stupid, small wreck turned me into a vegetable when I'd have been fine wearing a helmet? I just don't want them (or me) to have those "what ifs" or "if onlys" that I could have been easily prevented. I go for the "responsible" risk taker approach. :P
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I have a full face, I'm trying to beautify the roadways of CT :P
EZPZ #65
MonsterGirl

Post by MonsterGirl »

I just picked up my new helmet from Ducati Seattle and I'm so excited to get to wear it around! It's super light, totally comfy and all the insides can be snapped out for cleaning. And I like the bright color - visibility never hurts (my old one was candy apple red too).

MonsterGirl

Post by MonsterGirl »

KRUSTYburger wrote: oh yeah, it's an HJC CL-33. I used to black before I decided to make it more "visible"...
Krusty - Your paint job kicks butt! How'd you do it?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Hey thanks! Well, all the white stuff is reflector tape I cut out. The green & orange are regular spray paint... I taped off the design I wanted with electrical tape & put a plastic bag around the rest. I just sprayed the orange around in a circle, spraying less & less as I went further out, so it did like a fade. It was pretty easy, I had to use a razor blade to get some of the curvier lines on the back, but I tried not to if I could help it, so I didn't scratch the finish. Glad you like it! :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scullyfu wrote:
lojical1 wrote:I just ordered my helmet today! Its an HJC CL-Max Modular in candy red. Its only $144 on www.newenough.com. I have tried it out several times at a couple of different shops and took the plunge today. The significant price difference is worth the wait.
do you have a direct link to that page? i went to the general website and wasn't able to find the helmet you're referring to. i currently have a hjc cl-15 and really like it. thanks.:)
They may no longer carry it—lojical's post is a year old!
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

I get a kick out of cyclists going 40+ on 1 inch wheels, spandex and a tiny helmet.
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

My regular lid is the Caberg V2

If I plan on getting lost or exchanging a lot of information while riding, I wear my Dainese. Connect it to the phone and I can stream tunes and voice dial to get directions or give info on where I am.

I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)