exact correct oil for second oil change?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SirLexelot

exact correct oil for second oil change?

Post by SirLexelot »

Hey all,

I'm looking to do the second oil change this weekend, and I'm curious as to exactly what oil I should be using. I'm at around 850 miles (had first oil change at 300 miles, and that was several months ago). I know I shouldn't switch to synthetic yet.

So exactly what motor oil should I use, brand and everything? Also, what gearbox oil should I use? I'd love to have a precise shopping list to take with me when I go to Pep Boys or Autozone. Thanks for your help!
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

the mechanic at the shop where i got my scooter swears by
shell rotella 10/40 i just had my 200 mile check up done and thats what he used
lobsterman

Re: exact correct oil for second oil change?

Post by lobsterman »

SirLexelot wrote:I'm looking to do the second oil change this weekend, and I'm curious as to exactly what oil I should be using. I'm at around 850 miles (had first oil change at 300 miles, and that was several months ago). I know I shouldn't switch to synthetic yet.
Why not synthetic?

To quote myself:
Just got back an hour ago from first service on the Buddy (at 278 miles). Metro Scooters uses Klotz synthetic oil. I'm good to go for another 2000 miles with that stuff, according to Seth.
That's from this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=719&highlight=synthetic+oil

I'm over 1000 miles now and happily not worried about my oil for another 1000 miles or so. Just check the level and adjust if needed (so far no need).
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Keys

Post by Keys »

I use a 10w-40 full synthetic. It can be hard to find in the 10w-40 weight, but I think it's worth it. There are a lot of motorcycle-specific oils out there that are really overkill for an automatic scooter. They are more expensive, too. You see, the motorcycle-specific oils are designed to facilitate proper function of a wet clutch. Since we have no clutch soaking in oil, you don't need those factors. Something simple like, say Mobil 1 is quite sufficient and is a good synthetic.

The reason I'm pleased I made the change to synthetic is that it adheres to the metal surfaces a little better and therefore continues to protect in the event of a sudden oil loss, which happened to me when my oil filter backed itself off and I lost most of the oil in the crankcase. I still had enough to have protected the bearing surfaces during the very short period of time the engine ran in that condition. I'm not convinced a petroleum based oil would have delivered that level of protection under those circumstances.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Amsoil makes a great 10w40 Motorcycle oil:
10w40 Motorcycle info

Use this link to order (I'm a dealer), stock number is MCFQT for the quart size bottle:
Order page