Blur not charging

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KCScooterDude

Blur not charging

Post by KCScooterDude »

I thought this was a winter problem, but apparently not. My Blur isn't charging. I've got about 3,500 BDU. Think it might be the battery? Could it be the stator. Any way to upgrade these?

I get about two starts off the battery tender. Kick starts great, so I haven't been stranded.

This has been happening despite some fairly long rides, which I would think would get things charged up.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Was the battery trickle-charged over the winter? Long periods of time without a charge can kill a battery. Also, the "courtesy" light in the pet carrier... that drains the battery pretty bad according to what some have found (I disconnected mine a while ago).

I'm not sure anyone's tried this, but since it's a 12v battery, you should be able to take it to an autoparts store (the ones that offer free battery testing, etc) and get it checked out.

If your stator were out, you wouldn't be able to run the bike, so I'd focus on the battery.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

affirmative on the autoparts store. autozone has a battery that will work in the blur, atleast the one down the road did...
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Lostmycage wrote:Was the battery trickle-charged over the winter? Long periods of time without a charge can kill a battery. Also, the "courtesy" light in the pet carrier... that drains the battery pretty bad according to what some have found (I disconnected mine a while ago).

I'm not sure anyone's tried this, but since it's a 12v battery, you should be able to take it to an autoparts store (the ones that offer free battery testing, etc) and get it checked out.

If your stator were out, you wouldn't be able to run the bike, so I'd focus on the battery.
I did trickle charge all winter, and frankly rode most of the winter anyway. The longest it's gone without being ridden/on the charger is maybe two weeks. More like one week.

I'll focus on the battery. I'm not up on battery technology, but do they make something like a heavy duty battery for bikes?

Also, is it possible to upgrade a stator? Just curious. I don't run any accessories, but might want to in the future.
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

my stock battery has finally had enough.
I am sure those batteries cost PGO about 5 dollars.
they don't have much life post 2 years, unless you live in AZ or CA.

Most likely hit the autozone this weekend.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Do you have a multimeter?

What's the voltage of the battery with everything off?

What is it when it's idling?

What is it when it's at 5K RPM?

You should see something over 12V with everything off
Should see close to 13V at idle
And closer to 14v at 5K RPM

If you are not seeing voltage increase when it's running, then charging system is suspect.

If you are and the battery just isn't taking a charge, then battery.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

+1 for everything Racenut says plus one other thing - if the fill-hole cover in your battery is removable, remove it and check your water level. If it's too low, your battery won't take or hold a charge. My battery is a Sears 9BS (stock is a 7BS) and is suppose to be sealed, but the fill-hole cover is removable. I had a similar problem as you, where the battery would appear to take a full charge from my charger, but couldn't start the engine. The voltage checked-out at 12.4 but dropped to below 11 whenever I engaged the starter. For awhile I was carrying a small (4700mah) Lithium Polymer battery around with me as an emergency battery to start the engine (which, btw, works great). The scoot's charging system checked out fine and the battery was only 1.5 years old, so I popped open the fill cover of the battery and found it almost completely dry. If yours is the same, refill with distilled water (not acid) and then recharge.

In case anyone needs to know, the Sears battery is model 9BS, p/n 22844025. The difference from the stock 7BS battery is that the stock battery is rated at 7 amp hours while the 9BS is 9 amp hours. It is a little bit taller, but fits fine in the battery compartment.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.