Another Stalling Problem 125cc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Glen G

Another Stalling Problem 125cc

Post by Glen G »

I know there have been a few posts on stalling but I can't figure this one out on my Buddy 125 2008. And have taken to the dealer in Phoenix 3 times and they act like I'm joking...

Normally after a long ride.. Stalls when I get to most traffic lights / stop signs. However, sometimes I'll stop (let it idle) and it won't do it. Dealer has cleaned carb, check battery, checked spark plug, fluids. Still nothing. Had that deal where they changed out the cap last year to a vented cap, so no problems with that. Is it something to do with fuel in or evap?

Really confused and the Dealer just does not seem to care.. I think it's still under warranty... love to hear ideas.

G
hairball

Post by hairball »

I am going through the same thing, Just changed out the gas cap to a vented one.
The coil was changed 2 weeks ago and it didn't help.

The dealer ordered a stator in case the gas cap doesn't work, It has been raining almost every day for the past week so I haven't had a chance to do a long run.
Glen G

Thanks

Post by Glen G »

Thanks, I'll have them check Stater. This is getting to be a pain. Biggest problem is it not happening at dealer and them not believing me. Love to hear any other thoughts.
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

How long of a ride are you talking about?
Vic

Post by Vic »

If it is the stator and your shop is not giving you any respect, they will test the stator and it will test out perfectly fine.

Mine did.

Do a search on my name and "stator" from last fall and then again in the wintertime (sorry, I am on my blackberry and can't do a search) and you will see what happened and how the shop that shall remain nameless gave me a bunch of runaround but then POC Phil and the gang worked on it and found the problem-after a fair bit of research which involved getting the thing up to a high enough temperature (also why the shop that shall remain nameless got nothing when they tested the cold stator and your shop will get te same result).

Phil and the gang ended up replacing the bad stator.

I recently heard that Genuine has a new dealer in Columbus-The Kickstart on High St-and I strongly believe that the shop that shall remain nameless will be loosing the line. I finally have a local dealer that I can trust! I have had dealings with Kickstart and know that they take care of their customers, they are a scooter shop that happens to sell motorcycles, not a motorcycle shop that happens to sell scooters and that makes all the difference in the world.

Having a dealer that you can trust is worth their weight in gold, it makes scootering fun instead of frustrating and stressful!

-v
Glen G

how long..

Post by Glen G »

Vic wrote:If it is the stator and your shop is not giving you any respect, they will test the stator and it will test out perfectly fine.

Mine did.

Do a search on my name and "stator" from last fall and then again in the wintertime (sorry, I am on my blackberry and can't do a search) and you will see what happened and how the shop that shall remain nameless gave me a bunch of runaround but then POC Phil and the gang worked on it and found the problem-after a fair bit of research which involved getting the thing up to a high enough temperature (also why the shop that shall remain nameless got nothing when they tested the cold stator and your shop will get te same result).

Phil and the gang ended up replacing the bad stator.

I recently heard that Genuine has a new dealer in Columbus-The Kickstart on High St-and I strongly believe that the shop that shall remain nameless will be loosing the line. I finally have a local dealer that I can trust! I have had dealings with Kickstart and know that they take care of their customers, they are a scooter shop that happens to sell motorcycles, not a motorcycle shop that happens to sell scooters and that makes all the difference in the world.

Having a dealer that you can trust is worth their weight in gold, it makes scootering fun instead of frustrating and stressful!

-v
Thanks for asking... mostly after I do about 30-40 minutes. Over 45mph on average. First time I did about 60 miles in a few hours and back another 60 and it started. This time, just back from the shop.. drove 40 minutes.. and started dieing at almost every stop. The temps in the morning here about 90+ so heats up fast.
g
Glen G

hhmmm?

Post by Glen G »

I have another dealer in Tucson who has a great reputation telling me they think it may be the Evap.. but think its only fair to let them look at it in person. I'm about ready to go the 2 hour drive to have them look at it ....eeerrr!

It's funny, I'm president of the Local scooter club here, and we have almost 200 members,, but we do a lot with other clubs in the state... of all people I'd think my dealer would treat me just a little better then they have... maybe my money's not green enough ;-)... LOL

Anyway, I'll give them one more chance... that will be chance 5 now.

Thanks
G
Vic

Post by Vic »

You can disconnect the evap hose yourself and see if that is the problem, check the FAQ for assistance. If *I* can do it you can do it, I promise! :lol:

I would bet that it is the stator, though. What you describe is sadly familiar. Lisa Lisa also went through the same thing and her experiences are what helped me to diagnose the problem with mine.

Good luck!

-v
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Mine is doing it too.

I'll keep you updated. This could be my 3rd stator.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Mine is doing it too.

I'll keep you updated. This could be my second stator.
Oh, this scares me. Do you think it is time or wear that kills these stators?

I got my stator replaced this past winter, got the scooter back at the end of March and have put 5k miles on it since then.

-v
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

something bad in the 2007 lectrics.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
JNV

Stalling Buddy

Post by JNV »

I could not solve my problem; and I tried several ideas from this forum. I finally got frusterated and took it to am motorcycle mecanic. Hopefully he will give me some good news soon. When he tells me what he finds I will post it here hopefully someone else can also benefit.
Thanks for everyone input.
Glen G

update

Post by Glen G »

Well it's back in shop time #4. But...

I wrote to a guy named Willy at PGO in Taiwan. He actually was great. Wrote me right back. had me do a list of about 7 specific checks. Asked for my engine number. He got ahold of Genuine, who got a hold of my local dealer who called me this week.

Everyone was very nice and "don't quote me on this" ...sounds like Genuine told dealer to just go head and don't play around.. replace the stater. Dealer is also going to check evap system (thanks to all the posts on this site!!)

Feeling better... fingers crossed..
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm going to add my voice to those saying stator.

This really doesn't sound like an evap/vapor lock/fuel or air system problem at this point.

Can't believe you got a reply from PGO! Crazy.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Mine is at the dealer too. We started working on it yesterday. Trying to diagnose it.

I diagnosed it as stator, but I am waiting on the official word from my dealer.

stator#3??

I will let you know what happens.

~Lee
07 125 11k miles
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I got the call.

it was the stator.

that #3 stator for me.

2007 Bud 125 11k miles.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I got the call.

it was the stator.

that #3 stator for me.

2007 Bud 125 11k miles.
Gulp.

My heart just dropped into my shoes.

Wonder if maybe this is (finally) getting some real attention and they will do something more than just replace the stators until the warranties run out.

So far (crosses fingers) my stator seems to be doing just fine. We have not, for the record, had our normally high July temperatures, so I am not sure if that might be helping things for now.

I feel like I am just waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop.

Ok, so I have just very basic knowledge, and I know that "they" can re wind a stator, I am not sure if the problem that is happening to these things is something that would be able to be fixed by having this done.

What else could someone do when they find they have a bad stator and their 2007 scooter is out of warranty?

Anyone have an estimate of how many hours of labor pulling a stator takes?

What kind of cost is involved in repairing or replacing a stator?

How many hours is typical for replacing a stator?

Do you *have* to replace the CDI, also?

Thanks!

-v
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm wondering if you got 2 bad stators or if there's something else that's causing them to go bad after a while.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Here's what I don't get about this issue (and I'm experienceing it myself) - If this occurs after the engine has been running for while, how does warming up the engine affect the stator only at stops? Wouldn't it cut out in the middle of a run too? I've been thinking on my scooter it was the auto choke. I've yet to put an ohmmeter across the contacts though. No problem starting and running initially is what I'm experienceing and what I understand to be the initial poster's issue.

Thoughts? :?

- jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

ericalm wrote:I'm wondering if you got 2 bad stators or if there's something else that's causing them to go bad after a while.
Bingo.

A bad stator is one thing, but three? It's possible but I'd start looking for something else causing it. Could be a bad CDI, Coil, Voltage regulator?

I know certain after market "performance" CDI's are know for causing issues. Check the tolerances of those components to verify that they are all within range.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve