ncy performance shock question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jijifer

ncy performance shock question

Post by jijifer »

should the tension dial spin 360 in either direction? I didn't want to keep turning to see if ever stopped but it seemed weird. like I could easliy lose track of how many times i've spun it completely around.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

nobody, huh? Is it a stupid question? I didn't think it should spin around endlessly. I'd think it would get totally tension or totally soft at some point and stop. :(
hairball

Post by hairball »

The way I did it was...

-Turned the knob "counter or anti clock wise" until it stops - lots of clicks.

-Turn the knob clockwise, Count the clicks as you go to the end.. I counted roughly 40 clicks...

-Turn the knob back,"counter-clockwise" 20 clicks and stop, This is a good starting point. Now, If its too soft, turn towards the firm.

Next adjustment should be 10 clicks, Either to the left or to the right, then 5 and so on... Adjust to feel.

On a performance motorcycle shock , The knob is a "Rebound" adjustment.
-"An adjustment that controls how quickly or slowly the shock snaps back into its extended position after hitting a bump"

"F" is for fast.
"S" is for Slow.

On the sportbike and mountain bike, I like my adjustment all the way to slow and back off a few clicks to keep the bikes from bucking.

-The dirt bike I like a little bouncier, so I adjust it to the "F" or Fast range.

Now the bad part,
I think the performance shock that came on the Blackjack is different, It is a NCY but the website offers no info.
"F" May mean "Firm".
"S" May mean "Soft" ... Which is opposite :roll:

I am having a hard time finding any adjustment info on these shocks.

I have the shock on my blackjack set at 20 clicks.
I ride a winding brick road to work and its a jarring ride at 40 mph.
I'm going to set the knob 10 more clicks to "S" In hopes of taking out some of the sting. If its too soft go 5 clicks to firm.

If the ride is still harsh, I'll grab the spring and twist it clockwise to soften... 1 turn at a time. A little go's a long way.

- You don't want the ring on top of the spring to "EVER" come off.... Don't ask me how I know.

If you weigh more than 160 lbs.
1 or 2 tighter turns on the spring couldn't hurt.

Notice- You don't want to go too soft or you will feel it in the handling, Wallowing = easy to lose control.

- If you are bottoming out you need to tighten the spring accordingly or get a heavier spring.

Good Luck
iloveducks11

F & S

Post by iloveducks11 »

Firm & Soft. . . In my opinion.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

My shop told me "firm" & "soft".

I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is "bottom" but it's usually after about 40miles on ride, every bump feels sharp in the back. I don't was to say "Crunch" or anything it's just gets sorta "sharp".

I tried turning to S but that seemed like it was hitting bottom for reals EXCEPT when I was riding 2 up and the shock was more compressed to begin with.

So when I noticed that, I turned it back to the center (where the shop handed it over to me) but 40miles in sharp - so I turned to the F. Still sharp, turned F more but htat's when I discovered the dial could spin 360.

I'll call the shop, be made to feel like a worrier and perhaps a little dumb but hopefully there will an answer as how to adjust it for ME.

Thanks all.