What to expect?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

holden

What to expect?

Post by holden »

I love this forum. I've been reading for the last couple months. I'm going to be getting a buddy 125 in the next few days. It is the best choice based on the community and support here and at east side scooters in nashville, TN.

What should I expect with a new scoot? I've never ridden other than my friend's ride for a minute or so.

Will I crash a lot? heckling? new scoot performance issues? cold? do i need a windshield? immediate add-ons i should get? helmets?

I guess, what would you recommend for a new rider?
thanks so much all, I love all of your contributions.
etak

Post by etak »

Congrats!!!

Start with an MSF course.

Full face helmet, gloves, armored jacket, boots.

Take your time. Practice, practice, practice. Preferably in a parking lot. (No, you should not expect to crash - that's why you take the MSF course and practice a lot!)

Enjoy :D :!:
You're going to love it.
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

i was fortunate enough to be taken out back behind the dealership and taught a few things about turning after i made the purchase. the class was weeks later, so it was helpful for the interim. it was practicing in a parking lot with a mentor. maybe your boyfriend can help out in that regard
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Safety course is great. Helmet most definitely...don't ride it without wearing one...most important thing to buy. Windshield is something each rider must decide for themselves...I love them others hate them. I like a rear rack too.
DO NOT SAY or EXPECT to CRASH!!!! The more you think about crashing the bigger the chance it WILL HAPPEN!!!! That's negative thinking, stay positive.
Congrats on the scooter and enjoy the ride.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dibber wrote:DO NOT SAY or EXPECT to CRASH!!!! The more you think about crashing the bigger the chance it WILL HAPPEN!!!! That's negative thinking, stay positive.
I like to practice what I call "destructive visualization". On countless occasions when I've been going into a dangerous situation, I've imagined all sorts of horrible things happening. And they never have. (Because if they did, that would mean I was psychic or something, which is impossible.) So by visualizing them in my head, I'm preventing them! ;)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Welcome to ModBud and congrats on your choice!

It sounds like you've read quite a bit here so I'll spare you the whole "there's a great bunch of members here who are very helpful as well as a ton of info in old threads" welcome wagon speech!

The very fact that you are thinking about these things and doing research hints that you'll do just fine. The MSF course, as etak said, is a GREAT idea as is some serious gear (I'm in the FF helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and boots camp).

Also, continued reading here and talking to other scooterists (the ESS bunch should be a great help here) to get as many tips and tricks in your head will be invaluable. I read so many threads here that the first time I was riding in traffic it felt like I had a lot more skill and idea of what to look for than I ought to.

I also agree on not thinking you'll crash. I know the stats and I know what people mean by "it's not IF, it's WHEN" but I just assume ride as safely as I can and avoid situations that will make me crash. That doesn't mean I won't, but I'm not going to fixate on it either.

It's so great to see so many riders from the 'ville. I moved from there five years ago and still miss it. :cry:
Last edited by jmazza on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fhujay

Post by fhujay »

Nashville's a great place to scoot and ESS is a fantastic place. James and Josephine are really enthusiastic and helpful when it comes to n00bs. They'll hook anyone on the great scooter culture that's coming up around here.

I'll second (or third or fourth) the MSF. Never ride beyond your abilities--actual abilities, not your perceived abilities. Take care of your scooter. Read MB often. Spread the love.
pinkfaith

Post by pinkfaith »

I am a newer rider too and I would definitely recommend the MSF course. It is taught on a motorcycle with gears (which is always good to know) and teaches you safety, what to do in less than perfect situations, AND gets you an insurance discount! Please make sure you are ok driving a manual motorcycle though. I knew how to drive a stick so translating that to a motorcycle isn't that hard but there was one girl that had never driven a stick so when it came to changing gears on the bikes, she freaked out and ended up leaving. BUT the course is a great way to start.

As for protective articles, FULL face helmet, gloves, protective jacket, jeans, and boots (ok, I'll admit, I don't wear boots BUT I do bring a change of shoes - I don't wear the heels from work but a pair of tennis shoes).

Do not expect to crash, however, always prepare for the worst case scenario. I read once to ask yourself, "when (not if) I get in a accident, how long do I want to take to recover?" That is where the protective gear comes into play and my boss always says, "assume you are invisible and everyone is out to get you." In other words, drive defensively. I am always driving to be prepared. When I enter intersections (where most motorcycle accidents happen when drivers don't see us) I have my hands over the break and thumb over the horn (since us Buddy riders have loud horns, we can use them) and watch the road for grates, train tracks (I live in a city, there are LOTS of slippery surfaces), etc. that will change your driving.

As for riding, the dealership I bought it at went over the entire bike. Starting it, putting it on the center stand, opening the seat, blah blah and let me ride it up and down their back alley. It was so much easier than I expected. I drove it home on my first day driving 8 miles alone with no one behind me in downtown traffic and was totally fine.

As for accessories, depends on you. I got a top case (waiting for it to come) and looks like my bro. might buy me side protectors (SUPER excited for that). The only prob. I have had was I let it go a week without driving it and let it warm up maybe 2 min. and went to drive it and when I got to a stop it shut off. I turned it back on, drove around, and tested it more, and didn't do it again. It was a cool morning and hadn't been driven for a week, next time I'll give it a little more time to warm up. And don't forget to take it in to the shop after 300 miles for a quick check-up (that's what they told me) and then on to normal maintenance schedule for the model you're getting.

Have fun, enjoy, and take it slow. Practice makes perfect. I always map out my routs before I leave and think of ways to avoid crazy drivers and if you ever get scared or tense, make sure you relax. If, God forbid, anything does happen, it is better to have your body in a relaxed position than a stiff and firm one. Ok, this essay is done. ENJOY your new Buddy!
Vic

Post by Vic »

+1 to pretty much what everyone else is saying, take the class, get the gear:

Jacket: you want your jacket to fit snugly but still allow you to move, when you try it on it will feel odd but put your arms out like you are in a position for riding and it should feel better, they make mesh jackets for how weather-after all if your jacket is not comfortable it will probably not make it onto your body every time you ride. Jackets are spendy items, but when you think about the plastic surgery, skin grafts, and such that they are designed to help prevent, pretty cheap in comparison. Wear the thing around the store for a while to make sure it is comfortable and fits you well. I have a textile jacket that I bought last year, it is fine but it is not at all washable and I did not realise how important that is. It has a quilted removable liner which is very nice on cold days (wind chill makes a comfortable day for walking around chilly and a cool morning downright bitter). I also have a mesh jacket that is white and lavender, I got it for protection from the sun (light color) also and I LOVE this jacket.

Gloves: wear gloves, period. First, they protect your hands which are really vulnerable even in small crashes, road rach on the palms of your hands HURTS-badly. Second, if you wear a jacket and no gloves you will end up with this odd suntan where your arms will be light right down to where the jacket sleeve ends and then it will be dark right to the first knuckle where your fingers curl around the handgrips, and then it will be light again. Trust me, it is NOT an attractive fashion statement. :roll: Get a couple of pairs of gloves, light weight ones, medium weight ones, maybe another pair of light weight ones for a backup pair, and for cooler weather get a heavy weight pair (for heavy weight ones look into gloves made for snowmobiling).

Helmet: get a good one, I prefer FF for the protection it affords, wear it around the store for a while, if you have long hair or a lot of it, wear your hair however you will be wearing it when you ride (I put mine in a ponytail-it changes how the helmet fits) the fit should be snug but not tight, your cheeks might get a little squooshed looking but that is okay, nobody will see it anyway. Get one that is DOT and SNELL approved.

Have fun!

-v
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

YAY! What fun you will have.

Yes - the more protective gear the safer.

Yes - take an MSF class ASAP and you should be allowed to bring your own scooter if it's registered and insured - I recommend this since other wise you'll be learning your left hand isn't a break and your right foot is (not the case on a scooter)

And the #1 best thing you can do is assess your skill level and ride to it. If you think you're gonna fall, you likely will. MSF will truly help you assess where you are and how to get to the skillset you want to be.

For accessories I've got:
rear rack
GIVI topcase
Cowl Protectors
Stereo.

But it's a personal feel and none of those are absolutely necessary.

HAVE FUN!
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

Hi Holden,

Definitely plenty of places to ride around Nashville. I've ridden almost everyday since I bought mine last fall. I would definitely recommend buying a rear rack and some bungees if nothing else... you can easily lug a 24pack of PBR that way.

They have plenty of helmets and some gloves at ESS so unless you have a specific helmet in mind, you'll can get set up when you go to buy your scooter.

Have fun, and watch out for idiots.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to expect?

Post by jrsjr »

holden wrote:Will I crash a lot?
Hope not! :shock: IMHO, the secret to riding is to build up a toolkit of skills and then develop the experience to know when to use what tool. The MSF classes are good for building up the toolkit. A lot of newbies crash in one of three ways: 1) They crash right away the first time they ride because they twist the throttle and the bike takes off way quicker than they expect, then they panic and hold the throttle open until they hit something. 2) They try to steer by turning the handlebars in the direction they want to go and then apply the gas or brakes at the same time as they're used to doing in a car. 3) They use the front brake on a slippery road surface like sand.

Don't let any of these be you, okay?

holden wrote:helmets?
I used to work in a hospital and a doctor told me to always wear a full-face helmet. According to him, broken faces and jaws are painful and difficult to repair. And when I fell on my face at 25MPH, I got up and remounted without injury (beyond a skinned knee). So, I'm all about full-face helmets.

Welcome to Modern Buddy!
holden

what to expect?

Post by holden »

UnionZac wrote:I would definitely recommend buying a rear rack and some bungees if nothing else... you can easily lug a 24pack of PBR that way.
You must be from nashville!

Thanks everyone! Im leaving for the scooter store now!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

if nothing else, remember that whatever the squids tell you, your scooter is every bit as dangerous a motorcycle. Absolutely read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It's a must. If you REALLY read that book cover to cover, you will at least know what you're up against and be able to make an educated decision about further training and safety gear.

As good as the advice you get on this list is, it's nowhere near everything you need to know. And once you start learning, you'll realize how much more there is to learn.

Take riding very seriously, but don't let fear cripple you either. there's a healthy balance. People like to say that there are unavoidable accidents and that may be true, but there are lots of decisions, routes, gear, training, and skills to learn, and the more you learn, the more you improve your odds.

And my favorite: don't ride in flip flops, PLEASE.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:YAY! What fun you will have.

Yes - the more protective gear the safer.

Yes - take an MSF class ASAP and you should be allowed to bring your own scooter if it's registered and insured - I recommend this since other wise you'll be learning your left hand isn't a break and your right foot is (not the case on a scooter)

And the #1 best thing you can do is assess your skill level and ride to it. If you think you're gonna fall, you likely will. MSF will truly help you assess where you are and how to get to the skillset you want to be.

For accessories I've got:
rear rack
GIVI topcase
Cowl Protectors
Stereo.

But it's a personal feel and none of those are absolutely necessary.

HAVE FUN!
Just to be argumentative, its not the case on a BUDDY. It *IS* the case on many shiftie scooters :P The Stella, older Vespas, Lambrettas, Bajaj's etc have a floor pedal for the rear brake and the left hand lever is your clutch ;)
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

holden wrote:What should I expect with a new scoot? I've never ridden other than my friend's ride for a minute or so.

Will I crash a lot? heckling? new scoot performance issues? cold? do i need a windshield? immediate add-ons i should get? helmets?
There has already been LOADS of GREAT advice to which I can add nothing of consequence. However.... here is what you can expect.

You are now officially the coolest person in your family. Everybody knows this but will be unwilling to give you the accolades you deserve. Do not let this bother you, just keep repeating 60mph, 85mpg, 60mph, 85mpg. You are also now officially the coolest person at work (school?). Everybody knows this but will be unwilling to give you the accolades you deserve. Do not let this bother you, just keep repeating 60mph, 85mpg, 60mph, 85mpg. Well, you get the picture. There are hecklers everywhere, they speak from ignorance, don't let them get to you. The best revenge is leaving the gas station only $3 lighter when they fill their trucks, suv's, or cars with $30 to $60. Oh yea, MSF course, helmet, jacket, gloves, no sandals, no flip flops. Make sure your gear fits comfortably, you want your mind on the traffic and road conditions ALL around you, not on how uncomfortable your gear is.

Enjoy the ride.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

illnoise wrote:Absolutely read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It's a must...
:+!: For sure. It is MSF and beyond in a book. A great read for any rider.

All the advise above is great so I won't repeat it. I would just add to relax and only do what is comfortable while you are getting used to riding. For my first month or two I only took side streets with little or no traffic so I had few distractions while I learned. There is no hurry to jump onto big, busy streets. Stay safe and in control, that is where the fun is at.

Here's to many, many, safe and happy miles...

Cheers and congrats!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Hello and Welcome!

Wear a helmet! Please! (I'd add "armored jacket, gloves, and jeans" but I don't want to be pushy). :wink:

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! And let us know how much you are enjoying it!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

And if you're interested in taking the MSF course here in Nashville (I'm also here in Music City, clearly), I wouldn't mind taking it with ya... I've been trying to find a "good date" to go...

Someone mentioned about taking the MSF course on a motorcycle--I'm actually a bit skittish about the whole shifting thing. Here's the odd part: I've only ever owned manual transmission cars (currently on car #6 that that, not including "joint" vehicles w/ the spouse), can rev-match heel toe, double-declutch downshifts perfectly, but somehow, the notion of operating a sequential manual transmission on a motorized two-wheeled vehicle makes me anxious. Don't know why, but it just does. The Nashville MSF course here indicates they do have a small supply of scooters available on which to take the MSF. I was considering taking them up on that offer...

Thoughts?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

pyrocpu wrote:I'm actually a bit skittish about the whole shifting thing...
I felt the same way before the MSF. But I am doubly glad I did it on a MC as one of the great things about the course is that in addition to learning good riding practices, I got to learn how to shift with an instructor at my side and on their MC. If ever there is a time to give it a go MSF is it. When I passed the course I had a double satisfaction, 1 for passing, and 2 for overcoming a needless fear.

Shifting is not nearly as difficult as you are imagining it to be. I say go for it!

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Welcome to the flock! Illnoise stated the main points perfectly:
illnoise wrote:if nothing else, remember that whatever the squids tell you, your scooter is every bit as dangerous a motorcycle. Absolutely read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It's a must. If you REALLY read that book cover to cover, you will at least know what you're up against and be able to make an educated decision about further training and safety gear.

As good as the advice you get on this list is, it's nowhere near everything you need to know. And once you start learning, you'll realize how much more there is to learn.

Take riding very seriously, but don't let fear cripple you either. there's a healthy balance. People like to say that there are unavoidable accidents and that may be true, but there are lots of decisions, routes, gear, training, and skills to learn, and the more you learn, the more you improve your odds.
The only thing that I would add is this: Get protective gear and wear it from day one. New riders are much more likely to fall than an experienced one. Wear the gear every time you ride, even if you feel silly for doing so. Once you've got a few hundred or thousand miles, then you can start thinking about lessening up. My point is this: once you're comfortable with your riding skill and the bike you're on, you can evaluate your ride and your risk factor. The one variable that is the most crucial is other drivers on the road.

If I rode on a closed course (with perfect weather) I'd probably wear sneakers, shorts, a tee-shirt and whatever minimal helmet I had to. That's only because I know how I ride and how my bike acts.

But I never ride on a closed course. I ride with traffic. Cell-phones glued to their heads, distracted by whatever none-sense clots their minds - cagers. They don't pay attention.

Develop avoidance skills. Learn to panic brake. Watch their rims (it's like watching a boxer's hips). Ride hard but ride safe (i.e. super aware). It's a blast and riding makes you feel alive like nothing else (that's legal).

Welcome to MB and scootering in general - be over cautious until you know what your ride will and will not do. After that, still be cautious and enjoy the hell out of it.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

One other thing, I think the sesne of danger and responsibility is sort of what makes it fun. When you're riding, you need to maintain a heightened state of awareness at all times and really concentrate on what you're doing, and what everyone around you is doing.

That sounds like the *opposite* of fun/relaxing, but it's relaxing in that it erases other thoughts from your head. You become part of the bike (or the bike becomes part of you) and it's an active, conscious experience, as opposed to driving a car, where you're shielded from your environment and letting the car drive you.

Not to get all hippie or anything (and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a lame, overrated book), but it's like meditation, in a way.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

illnoise wrote:One other thing, I think the sesne of danger and responsibility is sort of what makes it fun. When you're riding, you need to maintain a heightened state of awareness at all times and really concentrate on what you're doing, and what everyone around you is doing.

That sounds like the *opposite* of fun/relaxing, but it's relaxing in that it erases other thoughts from your head. You become part of the bike (or the bike becomes part of you) and it's an active, conscious experience, as opposed to driving a car, where you're shielded from your environment and letting the car drive you.

Not to get all hippie or anything (and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a lame, overrated book), but it's like meditation, in a way.

Bb.
:+!: Its serious stress relief in the fact that the amount of concentration needed to ride lets you let go of everything else on your mind and just go :)
BGTsoccer1

Post by BGTsoccer1 »

:+!: Its serious stress relief in the fact that the amount of concentration needed to ride lets you let go of everything else on your mind and just go :)[/quote]

I agree with this after owning ours for only about a week. It is alot of concentration but not a negative type.....
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

What can you expect? A perma-grin when you're crusing around on your buddy. :D
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
holden

Post by holden »

Man, You guys...
(I'm a dude, just wanted to clear that up)

I LOVE IT! I got my buddy yesterday and put 58 miles on it already!
I got a little course in the parking lot at ESS and I was a little nervous at first, then they had me go around the block in semi busy traffic. I feel in love when i hit 40 for the first time. I left nervous and came back with a glow. all the dudes in the parking lot were grinning too.

I had to drive it home and had someone follow me, which is about 12 miles or so. Its nashville, so i had to learn how to drive in traffic quickly and it was great! I noticed myself being super cautious but feeling really good making the right decision in traffic. Stopping at yellow lights but not breaking too hard and high siding or something, keeping a good speed, learning to turn at the right(correct) angle, not running over half naked girls on broadway.

I was actually leaving a concert and a girl in the next lane rolled down her window and said "hey are you going to east nashville?" And i was! she was real cute too. (i didnt get her number or anything do to... a periood of Celibacy in my life.:cry:)
Awesome times, best thing i've ever owned and I have a feeling it will only get better. Can't wait to ride to work!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

holden wrote:...Awesome times, best thing i've ever owned and I have a feeling it will only get better. Can't wait to ride to work!...
Scoot fever takes hold of another... :lol:

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
holden wrote:...Awesome times, best thing i've ever owned and I have a feeling it will only get better. Can't wait to ride to work!...
Scoot fever takes hold of another... :lol:
:+!: They're not dealers.... They're pushers....
holden

Post by holden »

200 miles in four days. :D
it has begone.
do headlight, deadlight upgrades void warranty?
rickko

Post by rickko »

holden wrote:...What should I expect with a new scoot?...
Lots of fun!

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
robby

Post by robby »

Use your horn quickly and liberally. Don't be a jerk about it, but never hesitate to let drivers know that you're there.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Jessica wrote:What can you expect? A perma-grin when you're crusing around on your buddy. :D
Reminds me of the old saying...."How do you tell a happy motorcyclist (or scooterist)?"

By the bugs on his teeth! :lol: (altho with a FF that might not be the case. :wink: )
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

you should expect your friends to make fun of you...then ask you to ride it. also you should expect that you will take trips to the grocery store for one item that could have waited. in stead of taking the car to pick something up, you'll see it as a chalenge....how much can i fit?
And this one is important. chicks will come out of the woodwork.... some times.... ok never, but you can expect to have a lot of fun. ride safe.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

bigbropgo wrote:also you should expect that you will take trips to the grocery store for one item that could have waited. in stead of taking the car to pick something up, you'll see it as a chalenge....
You also forgot that you will start to go to grocery stores 30 or more miles away...