Buddy Stalling update

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JNV

Buddy Stalling update

Post by JNV »

Thanks to you guys for some advise. The fuel additives did not work. I did have to take apart the carb and clean it completely. Junk had just accumulated and would not let it idle. Cleaned the airbox while I was at it. Now it finally runs like a Buddy should. I gave it a good run down and saw 70mph on the speedo. Probably a realistic 65mph but I think that is very good for a 125cc.
I hope everyone elses stalling buddy's get fixed soon too.
Thanks for the info and advise
JNV
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Fuel additives usually just clean enough for the bike to run in most cases, but there is always gunk in there from building up over time.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I guess I missed your original post thread... how many miles do you have on it?
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

Wow, that is some heavy built up junk. Glad you got it fixed.
Rob

Re: Buddy Stalling update

Post by Rob »

JNV wrote:Thanks to you guys for some advise. The fuel additives did not work. I did have to take apart the carb and clean it completely. Junk had just accumulated and would not let it idle. Cleaned the airbox while I was at it. Now it finally runs like a Buddy should. I gave it a good run down and saw 70mph on the speedo. Probably a realistic 65mph but I think that is very good for a 125cc.
I hope everyone elses stalling buddy's get fixed soon too.
Thanks for the info and advise
JNV
I had the same problem earlier this spring. At first I thought it might be the infamous stator issue, but after talking to the mechanic at the scoot dealer, I decided do a thorough carb clean. I haven't had a problem since.

I know there will be many that disagree (as would have I without talking to the scoot mechanic and having the problem this spring) ... but he highly recommended not using the fuel stabilizer products for winterization. His opinion is that you are far better off draining the tank and carb over the winter months or when the scoot sits for long periods of time. I've used Stabil for years in a variety of my gas powered toys without issues ... I'm not sure if this was the problem with the scoot this spring, but next winter I'm going dry.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Rob wrote: I had the same problem earlier this spring. At first I thought it might be the infamous stator issue, but after talking to the mechanic at the scoot dealer, I decided do a thorough carb clean. I haven't had a problem since.
Hey Rob, how are you doing? Is that the same carb we had in peices in the parking lot of the Vespa shop in St Louis? :roll:

-John
Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

JNV wrote:Thanks to you guys for some advise. The fuel additives did not work. I did have to take apart the carb and clean it completely.
Glad you're rolling again. One of these days, we've got to ride The Road to Nowhere. Seriously!
Rob

Post by Rob »

jrsjr wrote:
Rob wrote: I had the same problem earlier this spring. At first I thought it might be the infamous stator issue, but after talking to the mechanic at the scoot dealer, I decided do a thorough carb clean. I haven't had a problem since.
Hey Rob, how are you doing? Is that the same carb we had in peices in the parking lot of the Vespa shop in St Louis? :roll:

-John
Hey John ... I'm doing great. But I think you have the wrong carb and wrong Rob. :D As far as I know, I've never had a scoot in St. Louis. I would consider the possibility of too much beer clouding my memory ... but I make it a point never to drink and drive or work on mechanical things. :)

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright