Keep the Metropolitan or buy a Buddy 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Should I keep the Metro & quit whining, or sell it and get a Buddy 125?

Keep the Metro, take the FJR for faster stuff, and quit whining. (and stop reading scooter fora and magazines)
11%
Sell the Metro, get a Buddy 125, and pay it off over the next year or so, to the wife's dismay.
89%

Total votes: 19

JeremyZ

Keep the Metropolitan or buy a Buddy 125?

Post by JeremyZ »

I'm back after a long hiatus, and still on the fence. :(

I wound up buying a 2006 Honda Metropolitan last year. Even though I have a Yamaha FJR 1300, I still yearn for more speed in my scooter. (The Metro will reliably go 35, 40 on flats, 42 downhill, 25 uphill) The Metropolitan is extremely well-made. Everything is smooth.

I'm just shy of 700 miles on it now.

I live in the far suburbs, and would like to be able to venture outside of town a bit without treating myself as a fast bicyclist.

But my wife has a good point: If I need to go faster than 35, just take the FJR. But the FJR is a damn blast furnace when it is warmer than 70 outside. I have to be going at least 50 to be comfy on it.

Looking at ebay, I can probably get $1300-1500 for my Metro, which would leave me with about $1200 more to come up with for the Buddy.

What would YOU do?

I really like the build quality of the Honda. I think I might miss it a bit on the Buddy. (I've read here that Buddies are reliable, but I can tell from sitting on it that it isn't quite up to Honda level in build quality just yet...)
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Save. And then by the Buddy. :D
SirLexelot

Post by SirLexelot »

Having started my scooting career on a Honda Metro, they're definitely nice beginner scooters. They're great-quality just like any Honda product. But they're pretty much useless anywhere but a beach community because of their super-slow acceleration and meager top speed.

The Buddy is actually even higher-quality than the Honda, is twice as fast, and has a wonderful community built up around it :)

I agree, sell the Metro and save for the Buddy. If you could save $150 a month you'd have the difference in under a year! Go for it!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Sell the FJR and buy a Buddy and a DRZ400SM :P

If you're asking us this question, I think it means you're just looking for affirmation- don't worry, you've made the right decision! :wink:
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Get the Buddy. Save $500 by buying a used one - less than a year old, the only 'gotcha' is no warantee - which is why you'll save $500. One just sold for $2000 in the For Sale/ Wanted section here.

Or watch for 2006 Buddies to go on sale as the 2007's hit the showrooms.

-Mark
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Well, asking us if you should buy a B125 is probably not the best way to get a completely objective opinion, heh... :twisted: Seriously, if you look hard at the Buddy's quality, even next to the Metro, you will not be disappointed. I totally hear you about the Metro's lack of zoom. You will not find that to be the case with the Buddy which is an extemely well thought out and excecuted scooter that has way more zip than you'd expect from a 125.

I also hear you about the FJR being like a blast furnace when riding around town. I had a BMW airhead bike and, in the summer, it was like riding a space heater. Not fun.

Again, full disclosure, we <3 the Buddy around here, so don't let us talk you into something you can't afford, but if you can find a way to wangle the finances, you'll find the Buddy to be great fun for the buck. And, so far, the Buddys seem to be holding up well and holding their value well, too.
buddy

Post by buddy »

sunshinen wrote:Save. And then by the Buddy. :D
I could not agree more! That's what I'm doing and although the wait is ROUGH, I should have enough dough in about 30-45 more days for my first buddy.

Save up old school with a jar and a buddy picture taped to the outside. Stick all your extra cash into it. Work a couple odd jobs nights and weekends and throw the dough into your jar. Before you know it you'll have that scoot AND no payments.

Also buying used is smart too. Will save you lots. No dealer fees, etc.
ebcspace

to buddy or not to buddy

Post by ebcspace »

similar deal here. I could not allow our (second) scooter to be one to get run over on. save up for the b125. good things come to those who wait ! it will be well worth yours.

the feeling of taking off and seing all the cars in your dust : priceless.

visualize the buddy. who's your buddy ?

http://www.zazzle.com/ebcspace/product/ ... 1367018879
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (153.53 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
scoot on!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Sounds like your only hesitation is finances. I'll chime in to say that you should save up until you can pay for a Buddy in cash, thus incurring no wifely wrath. Also, if you keep your Honda, then your wife could go out riding with you on your new Buddy. Hmmmm?
ModBud #442
louie

Post by louie »

polianarchy wrote: Also, if you keep your Honda, then your wife could go out riding with you on your new Buddy. Hmmmm?
and she will soon be saving up for her buddy.
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

louie wrote:
polianarchy wrote: Also, if you keep your Honda, then your wife could go out riding with you on your new Buddy. Hmmmm?
and she will soon be saving up for her buddy.
:rofl: Good thoughts guys, thanks!

I'm going to go that route and save up for the Buddy, but only enough to sell the Metro. She doesn't ride the thing, even though it was her idea to buy it. ("It's so CUTE with that Ice Blue color!")

She started to take the MSF course, then pooped out after two days. I bought her that Honda Nighthawk 250 just for her learning. She decided that riding a motorcycle is too dangerous for her, as she is not as well-coordinated as I am. Fair enough, but I'm not making any more bike decisions based on her feelings. (except financial, hehehe)

For some reason, the overtime thing hadn't occurred to me. I have that option at work. It pays well, and I could have the money for a Buddy in a month or so.

I think I will do the jar thing too. If I leave it in the account, it seems to just disappear on dumb things like magazines, going out to dinner, etc.