How many scoots sold do you think this forum is responsible

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chloefpuff

How many scoots sold do you think this forum is responsible

Post by chloefpuff »

for?

I'll start: 2 for me. As a newb when I was shopping last year and saw Genuine Scoots at the Vespa dealer I got online to see what their deal was. Found this forum, and knew that the Buddy was the scoot for me. Got the 50 and upgraded this season to the 125. Thanks, Modern Buddy!
so tough, so pink
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I know of at least 3 that were DIRECTLY my doing... And a couple others that are arguably partially mine.... Not including my own bike that is :)
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

convinced me last year
pajeanka

Post by pajeanka »

3 here. 2 for me & 1 for hubby.
Lookin' To Scoot

Add one more to the tally

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

MB was clearly a factor in our decision to purchase a Buddy. I knew a little about them beforehand, but I probably wouldn't have bought one without the positive comments about the scooter and helpful info I got here. The professionalism at the local Genuine dealer, Scoot Over, clinched the deal.
Randoscoot

Post by Randoscoot »

Yep, This forum is 100% responsible for my Buddy. I had no idea what a Buddy was until I stumbled into this site. Two weeks later, I was looking for MY Buddy.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Modern Buddy did help me. Although my friend having one helped probably more.
skibum

Post by skibum »

MB 80%, SF Scooter Centre 20%. I initially looked at "name" scooters, found MB, and decided the Buddy was right for me after talking with the always helpful folks at Barry's place...
donkin

Post by donkin »

Four

2 Buddy 125s

2 SYM 250s - Genuine would have been in the running for these if they had a scoot in this category

- Don
Member 2166
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Absolutely, this forum finalized my decision to get a Buddy.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ooh, I like this thread! :D

I can even say that this forum helped with my decision to buy our Buddy. This was before I took ownership and became the admin. I'd learned a lot from ModernVespa and really came to appreciate the value of an active community and forum. A lot of the more experienced and informed scooterists were raving about the Buddy in the early days, something that definitely influenced my decision.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

99% responsible for me. The other 1% I have to credit to the friend that mentioned the brand to me. A couple hours into an internet search brought me here. From that point it was only a matter of "when" instead of "if". :D
holden

Post by holden »

Totally the reason I bought mine. SO much support. Mods should get discounts or something. I've gotten more help from reading this site than from my dealer, and anything i need to know folks here point me in the right direction. Im now SOLD on buddies, already thinking about how i can mod it with out voiding my warranty, Im sure there is a forum about it!
fretman

Post by fretman »

Well, I sold two of my own. Does that count? :D
You know scooter is scooter!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Hate to burst the bubble. 0% Mine was purely driven on a need to try something different. I chose scootering. My co-worker was riding a now dead TNG scooter. I asked him where he got it and Motorsports took it from there.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:Hate to burst the bubble. 0% Mine was purely driven on a need to try something different. I chose scootering. My co-worker was riding a now dead TNG scooter. I asked him where he got it and Motorsports took it from there.
No bubble bursting at all! We can't take credit for every Buddy sold… or even most of them… :)

AFAIK, Motorsport no longer carries TNG, right?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jshill

Scoot It Forward

Post by jshill »

Not only did this forum finalize my decision to buy a Buddy, it helped me choose a dealer. Once I got mine, my wife upgraded her Honda Metropolitan for a Buddy 125. Based on his frequent posts and knowledge, I recommended Kurt and Urban Village Scooters to my brother; who just bought two Buddies for him and his wife.
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

My dealer uses MB as a sales tool ... he advises prospective customers to check out the board and let those who use the Buddy sell it for him. This board was certainly the factor that pushed me off of the fence and onto a Buddy.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

i was leaning toward a Buddy since there is a local dealer in my area, but MB certainly helped push me over the edge. tons of awesome help and advice was found here.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:Hate to burst the bubble. 0% Mine was purely driven on a need to try something different. I chose scootering. My co-worker was riding a now dead TNG scooter. I asked him where he got it and Motorsports took it from there.
No bubble bursting at all! We can't take credit for every Buddy sold… or even most of them…
We can't?!? Oh... :wink:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:
ericalm wrote:
No bubble bursting at all! We can't take credit for every Buddy sold… or even most of them…
We can't?!? Oh... :wink:
Yeah, NOW the bubble has burst..... ;)
brush pick

Post by brush pick »

I read reviews online about what scooters to buy and what to avoid.
I came to the forums to learn about scootes in general. I bought a Buddy
but of the condition of the scooter and the price. I would have purchased
a handful of other quality scooters had the circumstances been similar.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Count me as one. Bought my Buddy based on what I learned here...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

yep.... mine also
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

ericalm wrote:AFAIK, Motorsport no longer carries TNG, right?
Correct. They carry SYM, Genuine, and Kymco.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Found the forum shortly after getting my Buddy. I actually found it while doing a search for a repair manual. But, I have to say that my enthusiasm has been enhanced by this site, and has enabled me to do a lot of minor work on my scooter on my own, which easily makes it more affordable to keep. A big thanks to all of you who have posted step by step tutorials!!!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

This site was the tie-breaker for me. I figured any scooter outside of a Vespa with a fan-base like this has to be good. This website closed the deal.
go_jane_go

Post by go_jane_go »

What K1Dude said...
plus initial cost for a first scoot, I mean what if I hated riding? :lol:
plus the Great guys at Philly Scooters.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Found the forum shortly after getting my Buddy. But, I have to say that my enthusiasm has been enhanced by this site, and has enabled me to do a lot of minor work on my scooter on my own, which easily makes it more affordable to keep. A big thanks to all of you who have posted step by step tutorials!!!
+1 Me too. Bought the Buddy....then found the forum. Great place to hang out.....and LOTS of fun. I particularly enjoy the Scavenger hunts and Scooter Tag!
Vic

Post by Vic »

Well, I bought my Buddy from an ad on this forum, so gotta count me as +1.

I had a Chinese scoot (Diamo) that I ran into the ground within weeks and 3k miles, I managed to get a buyback and my original investment back out of the thing so started looking for something I could depend on to do the kind of miles I need.

I had a friend that used to sell Genuine in a local shop and he said that a Buddy would be great for me, so I poked around over here, found an ad for a Sunset Buddy, joined up so I could PM the guy. We made a deal and I became the proud owner of a Buddy.

-v
swillscooter

Post by swillscooter »

Definitely made our decision for us - we bought two!
jonhen

Post by jonhen »

I was trying to decide between a Vespa and a Buddy. I found this forum, and like many others have said... it was the deciding factor. I found so much information here that I became convinced Buddy was the way to go.

And I'm still convinced.
"When I have a little money I buy books, and if any is left over I buy food and clothes" -- -- Desiderius Erasmus

My Blog: http://www.jonathanhenderson.com
JNV

Buddy sold through Forum.

Post by JNV »

I bought mine after checking out this forum and seeing some Buddy's with some pretty high miles and no serious problems (or no problems at all) reported on them.
JNV
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I have a very good friend who bought an 09' Italia and rode it about 500 miles or so. After that, he realized that scootering just wasn't for him and he decided to sell it. At the same time, I was a vehicle down and needed transportation for about a week till my car was out of the shop so I borrowed his Italia. That was in April. Now, I used to ride motorcycles but have never driven a scooter. On the very first day of me riding, I found that I really enjoyed cruising around and met someone on a Buddy who told me I should check out MB to find like minded people and get any questions I had answered about scooters and such. Once I did, I discovered the subculture and felt right at home. After reading through the various threads, I made the decision the buy the Buddy myself and find a Meetup group here in San Diego that was suggested in a post on MB. And because of that decision, I met sooooo many cool people and a whole new world has opened up for me.

Thank You MB
narcoleptic

Post by narcoleptic »

While doing research into scooters, I found this site. All of the info here really helped lead me to the decision to get a Genuine scooter. I will be getting my used 09 Buddy 50 next week.
standup

Post by standup »

I bought a Buddy 50 first, found MB second. I'm glad I found MB, but when (predictably) I wanted a bigger scooter, used Buds were not close... So now I'm on an Aprilia Scarabeo that's actually a little huge but is a niiiiiice ride.
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

I had wanted a scooter for a while, but this forum is what steered me toward the buddy. The community is awesome.

But in the end, I have to thank the jag that stole my car resulting in an insurance payout roughly equivalent to a new Buddy 125.