Swine Flu Rollcall

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Swine Flu Rollcall

Post by jrsjr »

I'm in. :bleh:
maribell

Post by maribell »

Oh no!!! That sucks! Get well soon!
Latch

Post by Latch »

get well soon!
DIPA

Post by DIPA »

One of my friends actually had The SWINE! And pneumonia on top of it as an added bonus. Nasty.
pcbikedude

Re: Swine Flu Rollcall

Post by pcbikedude »

jrsjr wrote:I'm in. :bleh:
I've been exposed several times (hospital worker) nothing yet. Take care of yourself and consult your doc.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon. I'm holding out for the Bovine Flu. :P
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
standup

Post by standup »

A coworker told me if she got swine flu she was going to claim it was SARS. You know, retro. Nostalgic and NOT trendy like swine flu.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

The best I can do is laryngitis and a sinus infection. You win. :wink:

Get well soon!
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sorry to hear about it, John.

But it's like being a participant in a historic event, right?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Vic

Post by Vic »

Looking at the 1918 flu, I am hoping to come down with it at the early phase of the illness while it is still pretty mild (relatively speaking). The folks that survived it in 1918 were the ones that got it before the explosion of cases and the virus mutated into something even worse during the following winter.

So, as you are shivering and aching and wondering if you are going to die-perhaps even wising you would just die and get it over with, remember this and that in a few months when the rest of us are coming down with it you will be immune and can sit back and laugh.

Hope you get through it quickly.

Good luck,
-v
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Meh.

If I get it, I get it. And if it's my time to go, such as it is. The sooner one accepts that as a fact of life (and death!), the sooner you'll start living a fuller life! :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pyrocpu wrote:Meh.

If I get it, I get it. And if it's my time to go, such as it is. The sooner one accepts that as a fact of life (and death!), the sooner you'll start living a fuller life! :)
Maybe, but if our evolutionary ancestors had been so nonchalant about ignoring their basic survival instincts, the human race probably wouldn't be around today. :D
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

oh my iv got it,,, iv had it for a week today and did not know it,,, i have not been sick with a cold or flu in many years and this has kicked my a$$... my ears are infected and hurt every time i cough,,, it got realy bad Sunday night with the fever and i had a fever of 101 when i went to the doc today... gave me a shot in the butt,,, gave me some antibiotics,,, and for the first time in my life hydrocodone for pain dealing with the flu and ear infection....

my body has hurt me so bad over the past two days,,, my butt cheeks hurt from coughing so much...

now to figure out how to give it to my exwife that lives 100 miles away.... :twisted:
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I was one of those who got the Asian flu back in 1957, which apparently conferred some immunity to today's Swine Flu (now called H1N1 so as not to offend swine or any other ethnic groups).
Keys

Post by Keys »

I've been told that the Swine Flu is especially dangerous in Arizona. When you get that uncontrollable urge to roll in the mud, all we have is dirt.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

My munchkin had it. We did have Tamiflu with munchkin. His was scary 105 fever but thankfully he was taking in fluids adn with ice packs through the night and Tamiflu, Ibuprofen and Tylenol in 6-8 hours the fever broke.
To answer the question no one has asked: No we did not get shots. Personal choice, no "inside" info or anything. Just old Soviet paranoia and reading post apocalyptic crap. Don't want to turn into zombie one day :twisted:
On the other hand if everyone else goes "zombie", how fast again is Buddy 150? I did get an extra helmet for munchkin in case of need for quick getaway. KBC "Radiation" helmet was on sale. :lol:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I had it either tail-end of November or beginning of December...I think it was the former.

Get well soon, mate! Hot fluids are my stand-by. Tea, hot chocolate, coffee, chicken noodle soup, showers. Keeps the congestion from kicking my butt. I've got a head cold at the moment and am running my electric kettle about every 30 minutes!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Keys wrote:I've been told that the Swine Flu is especially dangerous in Arizona...
I've heard that too. "Better stay away from AZ!"
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Syd wrote:
Keys wrote:I've been told that the Swine Flu is especially dangerous in Arizona...
I've heard that too. "Better stay away from AZ!"
That is quite true. We have virulent swine flu, rattlesnakes all over, scorpions, gila monsters, rabid coyotes, and people speeding in overloaded vans. Very dangerous place. Stay away!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

How you holding up, jrsjr? Hope you're feeling better, along with anyone else sick with crud.

Today is the first day I've been able to breathe since Wednesday or Thursday. It's a little too early to say for sure, but hopefully I'll be able to lift my (self-imposed) quarantine by this evening! :D
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Good luck with it...

I got it in early October, (First time getting sick of any kind in 10 years since my wife and I split up, go figure) I was begining to think I wanted to die. It did the classic thing and developed into pneumonia for me, I couldn't draw a deep breath for weeks! (My younger son didn't mind, I couldn't yell at him!!) I'm no youngster anymore, it kicked my a$$ seroiusly, but when I got out in the cold fresh air I'd feel better, go figure. I finally 'cleared' it by New Years...
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

its been over a week and im no better,,, i went back fri to the doc and he gave me lortab for the pain... my ears are so clogged up and hurt so bad...

you cowboys fatt'in up some of them rattlers ill be back in Az come May...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

so far so good. my bosses 3 kids got it, 4 of our co-workers have it but so far and unbelievably, I have not. I usually catch a cold if someone sick just looks in my direction!

Get well, all!
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I just went and got myself and my kid vaccinated this morning, thanks to the little nudge/reminder of this thread. Now I just have to hope I don't catch it before full immunity kicks in.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Working on a college campus, I've come to rely on yearly flu shots. There's just too much risk if you're working anywhere near students of any age. I understand some of the skepticism regarding flu shots (I'm old enough to remember the original swine flu scandal) but no longer buy into it. This year we got our seasonal shot early and then the swine flu shot as soon as it was available to the unwashed masses.

The flu last rolled through our family in the early '90's. We were all knocked out to varying degrees for over a week. Since then, vaccine every year. No flu, no reaction, no side effects. Like scootering, it's not for everyone but I'm a believer.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I've got two reasons for not getting flu shots. The first is my personal views on medications. I try not to use them unless I need them. This is something I flex on, situation depending. The other reason is the big one for me: availability. I figure I'm in good health, I've got a strong immune system, and I tend to bounce back quickly from illness. I'm not at a high-exposure job, and I'm not screwed (or putting large numbers at risk) if I come down with something. Vaccinations for the past several years have always been in short supply. I don't want to be using a vaccine that I can do just fine without that could be put to much better use on someone who's a higher risk category than me.

Just my rambling 2 cents. :)
Syd

Post by Syd »

:+!: I'm not a fan of non-recreational drugs. And I haven't done any recreational one's in, uh, some time.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
michelle_7728

Swine Flue Rollcall

Post by michelle_7728 »

Knock on wood, but I haven't had the flu since 1980 (okay, I guess I'm showing my age...) when I moved from Houston up to Seattle. I used to get the flu 1 to 2 times a year in Houston...don't know if they have nastier bugs down there, or maybe the heat and humidity just whacked my immune system. :?
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's