Starter Issues

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Panama Red

Starter Issues

Post by Panama Red »

I can kick start with no prob but the elec start does nothing. I've replace the starter relay (solenoid) and have a 100% battery. All that happens is the solenoid clicks....the starter remains silent (?) and will not turn over. Just looking for answers on where to go next.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey Panama, welcome to Modern Buddy! At least that scooter didn't steal your woman or rob your head, though maybe it did tell a few sweet lies. :D

Seriously, when you say the battery is 100%, did you test the voltage with a voltmeter or did you take it to a place like Batteries Plus and have them scope it out with a diagnostic meter? I ask because batteries are a funny thing. It's possible for a lead acid battery like the one in a Buddy to test good on a voltmeter but still not have enough stored energy to spin the starter motor. From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like that might be case with your battery. The only way to know for sure (short of trying a new battery) is to have it tested.

It might be a bad starter or some other less common electrical problem. It's certainly possible, but we've gone down this rabbit hole before and, after much frustration, ended up at a Batteries Plus learning that it was the battery.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Definitely have the battery load tested before you start throwing any parts at the problem. Check all of the electrical connections (positive and ground) from the battery to the starter for corrosion and oxidation as well.

If your battery and connections all check out, you could try the old VW trick of thumping the starter with a small mallet (or a screwdriver handle if you find yourself lacking a small mallet) while pushing the start button. If the starter turns over when you give it a whack, you probably found the root of your problem...

Smart money is still on the battery though.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Problem: Starter does not turn or turns over slowly when key is turned.

Solution #1: Check the rest of the electrical system for the correct voltage, grounds, and wiring. Often, the starter is misdiagnosed as the culprit for electrical system problems when the problem really lies in some other area of the system.

Solution #2: Check your battery voltage and make sure it is sufficient to turn your new starter. Most starters require at least 9.6 volts to turn over correctly.

Solution #3: Check your battery cables and make sure they are in good shape. Bad cables will not deliver the full current flow needed to operate the starter.

Solution #4: Clean the starter mounting surface. Most starters are grounded through the mounting block, and if there is excessive oil or paint on the block, the starter will have a faulty ground.

Solution #5: If your vehicle has a neutral safety switch, make sure it is operational. If this switch is bad or not properly wired, the starter will not operate correctly. You can check by attaching a jumper wire between the safety switch terminal and the main terminal on the starter. If it turns over with the key, the switch is either bad or wired incorrectly.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Panama Red

Post by Panama Red »

thatvwbusguy wrote:Definitely have the battery load tested before you start throwing any parts at the problem. Check all of the electrical connections (positive and ground) from the battery to the starter for corrosion and oxidation as well.

If your battery and connections all check out, you could try the old VW trick of thumping the starter with a small mallet (or a screwdriver handle if you find yourself lacking a small mallet) while pushing the start button. If the starter turns over when you give it a whack, you probably found the root of your problem...

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good call on getting a load test on the battery and the other suggestions are worth a shot.

As far as the mounting points there is no paint there and it is just two bolts. Take a look around where the starter enters the case and see if there is any oil, that would be an indication that the o ring failed and allowed oil into the starter

I recently went through this on an 08 125 and it was the starter. I even pulled the starter apart and tried cleaning it up but no go. On an 07 it wouldn't surprise me if it was shot especially if you do alot of short trips starting many times a day. If you need to order a starter call scooterworks and ask for an OEM. The NCY and other aftermarket ones don't fit.

If you need help on how to replace let me know...it's really a pretty simple swap.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

Using jumper cables to hook up the scooter to the battery of a non-running car and trying the scoot's starter will also help identify where the problem is, without spending money or going anywhere. If it does the same thing, it's the starter or wiring; if it starts, it's the battery or charger.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

TVB wrote:Using jumper cables to hook up the scooter to the battery of a non-running car and trying the scoot's starter will also help identify where the problem is, without spending money or going anywhere. If it does the same thing, it's the starter or wiring; if it starts, it's the battery or charger.
Good call...I also tried that before replacing. It really bypasses the electrical system and gets power directly to the starter
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Agreed, esp. on the battery voltage. I've had batteries that read 12-point-something-plus on a voltmeter with no load, but had absolutely no reserve power to crank the starter. The voltage drops like a rock under load. Pretty much any auto-parts store has a load tester that can tell the tale.

If your 2007's battery is original, I'd put most of my chips on the battery.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Panama Red

Starter Issues

Post by Panama Red »

thatvwbusguy wrote:Definitely have the battery load tested before you start throwing any parts at the problem. Check all of the electrical connections (positive and ground) from the battery to the starter for corrosion and oxidation as well.

Testing....I seem to be having trouble navigating this site. I would like to respond to some of the replies regarding the starter, battery, solenoid problem etc. but not sure I'm getting through..... Hopefully I am. Anyway, thanks to all who are contributing. I'm still struggling with the problem.