[NSR} Honda Shadow 750?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

[NSR} Honda Shadow 750?

Post by Rob »

While the Buddy is a great scoot, I know it's not really designed for the type riding I most enjoy ... longer trips, often times in rural, isolated areas on country roads or highways. And I guess I might add that my height is also a comfort consideration there as I'm on the tall side. So, while I'll keep the Buddy for the short hops around town and for my wife, I'm also going to buy something larger.

I thought about maxi scoots and the MP3 line, but other than the Scarabeo 500, I just don't think I'll ever like the way they look. I've also been doing a little mental debate on pros and cons of a larger scoot vs a motorcycle, with no clear cut winner.

Today a friend at work emailed me and said he is selling his wife's motorcycle. A 2003 Honda Shadow 750 Custom, 4702 miles, for $3000.
This guy takes meticulous care of everything he owns, the bike looks like new and that seems like a great price. He has a couple of other folks at work very interested, but he told me he'll hold it for me until the weekend.
I don't have much free time for research these days (I'm one of the lucky survivors at work, but at the expense of a drastically increased workload), so my question is does anyone here have any experience or opinions of the Honda Shadow? Feedback either way would be appreciated.

A few pics he sent me of the bike:

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

A good friend of mine owned two different shadows over about 15 years. He was damn hard on them and they held up very well. If I was in the market for a crusier, the shadow 750 would be on my short list.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I just rode one of those last week that someone traded in at POC (believe it or not, for a Buddy :D ). I am not a huge fan of the chopper style but I'll be honest, the bike rode like a freaking dream (and I don't mean a Honda Dream). The seat was comfortable as hell, it shifted like butter, the gear ratio was perfect. It was a perfectly proper chopper. I walked back into the shop and pocphil was just smiling and nodding. He's had the thing on the highway up to 100 and said it hangs strong. 3K is not a bad price either. If that one falls through I know of a beautiful black one for sale in Cleveland :wink: .
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

Shadows and the older Magnas are great bikes, and make good commuters if you can find bags that clear the exhaust pipes.

You might wanna ditch the "purple lady" license plate.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

First of all, you can't go wrong with a Japanese bike as a rule. It will be bulletproof and run for years without a hint of trouble. I own a 1981 Suzuki GS 550 that sat for years and now runs like a dream since I bought it and basically just changed the fluids. I know people who own Shadows and love them. There are lots of fun add-ons too.

I thought I would weigh in on Scooter v. Motorcycle. Personally, I keep going back to the scooter for commuting. It does about 95 percent of what I want, and I wouldn't go without one for around town use. You might ride mostly on highways and away from town, so a larger displacement motorcycle might be for you.

The motorcycle does its job well. I can hit the highway and do 70 all day long. I got my Suzuki for $425 and I'm glad that I did not spend a lot of money, because for me it would not be worth it.

My advice is that you are doing well to buy a used bike to see if it's for you. Also, you might not want to give up the scooter for around-town stuff. I realize that most people have to decide to have one bike only, which is always something of a compromise. My experience tells me if you have to compromise, you are going to end up wanting a larger displacement scooter rather than a motorcycle.

I say this, because many people told me this before I bought the motorcycle (there are threads about this on MB). I thought I was different, but in the end I found this to be true.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Those GS's are known for stator issues. Make sure you get that checked out. It's been a long time known issue. The previous owner may have already had it taken care of.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey Rob, that's a nice looking bike, but you might be happier with the Aero model because it also has shaft drive to keep the maintenance down, way down, on road trips and stuff.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Hey Rob, like I said in the PM, I don't think you can go wrong with that bike. It appears to be priced very fairly and should provide you lots of enjoyment.

Although shaft drive is nicer in some aspects, I wouldn't let it be a deal killer in this scenario. I put 40k+ miles a year on my bikes, and every single one of them is chain driven. Its really not that big of a deal and the Shadow 750 is not going to be that hard on a chain anyways.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

My boss rides one of those and absolutely loves it. Its a low maintainance bike that handles well and seems to ride nice. It was a bit big for my tastes, and he's got some strange handlebars on his....
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Hey Rob,
Just went through this. I do really like the Scarabeo 500. It's a really nice machine, but man, is it tall when you're sitting on it (and I'm 5'11"!). I wound up with a bike because I wanted something different than the scoots (we do have a lot of them and that was a factor in my decision). I also would be riding with someone on a motorcycle and 'hey, look at my bike, too' came into it (I mean seriously, it gets old having the boys go all bonkers over his bikes 'cos they remember when they had the pics on the walls in their rooms).

I think you can't go wrong with a Honda (yeah, yeah, I'm a Honda whore, I don't know how I let the Kraut side of me be suckered in). I picked up a CB750 because I wanted a vintage icon.

The Shadow is a great bike and that price seems really fair. There's a million of them for parts and getting OEM parts is not a problem as it's still in production. If you're just picking it up because you want a bike and know this guy takes good care of his things, you may want to do some more looking around.

One thing that came up for me is weight. A bike is heavy, and the Shadow is over 500 pounds. That's the one thing that I'm still working on, maneuvering a heavy-a** bike in the garage, parking, etc. But then again, the 'beo ain't light, either.

Oh, and lastly, you should sit on it. You say you're tall, and the seat height on the Shadow is rather low, although you are in a more reclined position. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Good luck, and give us pics!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

djelliott wrote:Those GS's are known for stator issues. Make sure you get that checked out. It's been a long time known issue. The previous owner may have already had it taken care of.
Most of these bikes have had the electrical issues sorted by recall, as has mine.

The biggest knock on the GS models is that some of them handle like the Queen Mary, particularly the 1000 models. Mine handles pretty good, but it's lower displacement. The 850s are also pretty good. I rode a 1100 once, and it was pretty bulky, but not bad.

Mind you, all these issues (electrical, handling, etc.) even in there worst forms don't bring them down to Harley standards.

thegsresourses.com is a great Web site for these bikes, by the way.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

One thing I would also note:
MC's with spoked wheels generally have the old fashioned tube tires installed on them. :P
Some riders say they're just as safe as tubless if you fill them with stuff like Slime,
but I've always preferred tubeless on all my MCs (and scooters too) because of the added safety factor
of usually a slow decompression after a puncture, instead of a blowout!
These bikes can do 100MPH easily and generally travel around 75-80 on the highways,
and my way of thinking is I wouldn't want to get a tube tire type blowout on such a heaviy bike traveling at higher speeds!!
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I agree about the wheels. For me, they're much more of an issue than shaft vs. chain drive. I can't tell from the pictures, but they do look like tube-type rims. I've owned bikes with tube tires and never had an issue but the folks I've know who have had issues will never ride on tubes again. They also look like very heavy rims, so handling could be slow.

I'm not a cruiser person. I don't care for the look and I can't handle the "sit up and beg" riding position. This is why there are so many styles of bike out there, it's all very personal. If you like cruisers, you could certainly do a whole lot worse. Hondas are great machines, just make sure it fits you and your riding style before you buy it. In other words, take a nice test ride over varying types of roads.

As for maxi scoot vs. motorcycle? Also very personal. For me, the best choice is motorcycle, but I don't like maxis at all. Generally speaking, you will get more bang for your buck features-wise with a bike rather than a scoot.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Rob

Post by Rob »

jasondavis48108 wrote:A good friend of mine owned two different shadows over about 15 years. He was damn hard on them and they held up very well. If I was in the market for a crusier, the shadow 750 would be on my short list.
Thanks. If nothing else, I'd expect excellent reliability with a Honda product. But it's always nice to get verification.
djelliott wrote:I just rode one of those last week that someone traded in at POC (believe it or not, for a Buddy :D ). I am not a huge fan of the chopper style but I'll be honest, the bike rode like a freaking dream (and I don't mean a Honda Dream). The seat was comfortable as hell, it shifted like butter, the gear ratio was perfect. It was a perfectly proper chopper. I walked back into the shop and pocphil was just smiling and nodding. He's had the thing on the highway up to 100 and said it hangs strong. 3K is not a bad price either. If that one falls through I know of a beautiful black one for sale in Cleveland :wink: .
Thanks DJ. I'm going to check the bike out tomorrow evening. If this one rides anywhere close to what you described from your ride, it'll be a done deal.
PocPhil has a black one huh? I'm not a huge fan of the purple color of this bike ... I do like black bikes (just like my Buddy) ... Cleveland is only about a 4.5 hour ride ... hmmmmm. :)
eldoroddo wrote:Shadows and the older Magnas are great bikes, and make good commuters if you can find bags that clear the exhaust pipes.
You might wanna ditch the "purple lady" license plate.
Actually, he has a set of bags that he's going to include. Ha ... yeah, the Purple Lady plate won't be staying. Actually I was relieved to see that. Some early erroneous information from another co-worker indicated that there was something very feminine inscribed on the bike ... he thought it might be something like "Hot Lady" painted on the tank. That, obviously, would have been a deal breaker. It turned out to be the vanity plate that he ws thinking of.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

KCScooterDude wrote:First of all, you can't go wrong with a Japanese bike as a rule.
My advice is that you are doing well to buy a used bike to see if it's for you. Also, you might not want to give up the scooter for around-town stuff. I realize that most people have to decide to have one bike only, which is always something of a compromise. My experience tells me if you have to compromise, you are going to end up wanting a larger displacement scooter rather than a motorcycle.
I haven't had a motorcycle in years, but all of my early bikes were Japanese and they were all great bikes.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Getting a MC for the long rides that I truly enjoy and keeping the scoot for the shorter commutes. Don't get me wrong, the scoot is really fun to ride ... but I've done as much as 300 miles round trip on it and my body began to protest long before that day was done.
djelliott wrote:Those GS's are known for stator issues. Make sure you get that checked out. It's been a long time known issue. The previous owner may have already had it taken care of.
Just like the Buddy? Now you're scaring me. :D
jrsjr wrote:Hey Rob, that's a nice looking bike, but you might be happier with the Aero model because it also has shaft drive to keep the maintenance down, way down, on road trips and stuff.
Thanks, And I prefer the looks of the Aero as well. I do appreciate all the help, advice and opinions. As always, I'll try to learn as much as I can about things in a short time and in the end, just go with my gut. One nice thing about going used, it's only $3000. I've already decided if I'm still enjoying a MC in a year, maybe two, I'll upgrade to a much larger bike. It's already killing me that very soon, some friends of mine are riding to Sturgis then later in the year will be trying to do a complete one way trip of route 66 and I won't be joining them on either trip.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That's a sweet lookin' ride. I do sometimes miss my MC's.
I grew up on a Yamaha RD200 and an XS400. One thing I noticed about the bike you're looking at though: 31 - 35 mpg!!?? Yikes :shock:!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Rob

Post by Rob »

bluelghtning wrote:Hey Rob, like I said in the PM, I don't think you can go wrong with that bike. It appears to be priced very fairly and should provide you lots of enjoyment.

Although shaft drive is nicer in some aspects, I wouldn't let it be a deal killer in this scenario. I put 40k+ miles a year on my bikes, and every single one of them is chain driven. Its really not that big of a deal and the Shadow 750 is not going to be that hard on a chain anyways.
Thanks Bluelightning, for both the post and the PM. I think if I was going new, with a larger and what I would consider to be my long term ultimate bike, I'd go shaft driven. But as I'm just kind of testing the waters again, as you said, I won't eliminate this bike solely on the chain drive.
Kaos wrote:My boss rides one of those and absolutely loves it. Its a low maintainance bike that handles well and seems to ride nice. It was a bit big for my tastes, and he's got some strange handlebars on his....
That seems to be a constant. Everything I've heard thus far ... anyone that has owned or ridden a Shadow, has very positive opinions.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

siobhan wrote:Hey Rob,
Just went through this. I do really like the Scarabeo 500. It's a really nice machine, but man, is it tall when you're sitting on it (and I'm 5'11"!). I wound up with a bike because I wanted something different than the scoots (we do have a lot of them and that was a factor in my decision). I also would be riding with someone on a motorcycle and 'hey, look at my bike, too' came into it (I mean seriously, it gets old having the boys go all bonkers over his bikes 'cos they remember when they had the pics on the walls in their rooms).

I think you can't go wrong with a Honda (yeah, yeah, I'm a Honda whore, I don't know how I let the Kraut side of me be suckered in). I picked up a CB750 because I wanted a vintage icon.

The Shadow is a great bike and that price seems really fair. There's a million of them for parts and getting OEM parts is not a problem as it's still in production. If you're just picking it up because you want a bike and know this guy takes good care of his things, you may want to do some more looking around.

One thing that came up for me is weight. A bike is heavy, and the Shadow is over 500 pounds. That's the one thing that I'm still working on, maneuvering a heavy-a** bike in the garage, parking, etc. But then again, the 'beo ain't light, either.

Oh, and lastly, you should sit on it. You say you're tall, and the seat height on the Shadow is rather low, although you are in a more reclined position. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Good luck, and give us pics!
Hmmmm, if I keep the Purple Lady vanity plate that is currently on the bike ... would I also be referred to as a "Honda whore"? :D It sounds like, given your heritage, you should be riding a BMW. :)

I really do like the looks of the Scarabeo 500 but haven't ridden one as of yet. If I do ultimately decide to go with a larger scoot vs. a MC, that really would be the only one I'd consider at this point.

Good point on the lower seat. I'm 6'4" with long legs, so I am somewhat concerned about how well this bike will fit. I'll find out tomorrow evening. That will likely be the major factor in the decision ... how comfortable would I be on a longer ride.

Anyway, thanks for the laughs and the insights.
KCScooterDude wrote: Most of these bikes have had the electrical issues sorted by recall, as has mine.

The biggest knock on the GS models is that some of them handle like the Queen Mary, particularly the 1000 models. Mine handles pretty good, but it's lower displacement. The 850s are also pretty good. I rode a 1100 once, and it was pretty bulky, but not bad.

Mind you, all these issues (electrical, handling, etc.) even in there worst forms don't bring them down to Harley standards.

thegsresourses.com is a great Web site for these bikes, by the way.
That's good news. Electical problems I can definitely live without. I don't think there's anything worse on a vehicle than intermittent electrical issues.

Yes, I'm expecting less than great handling, especially when compared to something like the Buddy, but as I said, I'm looking for a better crusing machine. So, I'll give a little to get a little in that regard.

Thanks for the link ... I'll definitely check that out.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

Drumwoulf wrote:One thing I would also note:
MC's with spoked wheels generally have the old fashioned tube tires installed on them. :P
Some riders say they're just as safe as tubless if you fill them with stuff like Slime,
but I've always preferred tubeless on all my MCs (and scooters too) because of the added safety factor
of usually a slow decompression after a puncture, instead of a blowout!
These bikes can do 100MPH easily and generally travel around 75-80 on the highways,
and my way of thinking is I wouldn't want to get a tube tire type blowout on such a heaviy bike traveling at higher speeds!!
You know, that's one thing I never did consider ... the safety factor on a tubed vs. a tubeless tire. Thanks for mentioning that ... it is something I will do a little internet research on tomorrow.
gt1000 wrote:I agree about the wheels. For me, they're much more of an issue than shaft vs. chain drive. I can't tell from the pictures, but they do look like tube-type rims. I've owned bikes with tube tires and never had an issue but the folks I've know who have had issues will never ride on tubes again. They also look like very heavy rims, so handling could be slow.

I'm not a cruiser person. I don't care for the look and I can't handle the "sit up and beg" riding position. This is why there are so many styles of bike out there, it's all very personal. If you like cruisers, you could certainly do a whole lot worse. Hondas are great machines, just make sure it fits you and your riding style before you buy it. In other words, take a nice test ride over varying types of roads.

As for maxi scoot vs. motorcycle? Also very personal. For me, the best choice is motorcycle, but I don't like maxis at all. Generally speaking, you will get more bang for your buck features-wise with a bike rather than a scoot.
Thanks again for the mention of something I hadn't considered regarding the tires. And I also agree, there is more bang for the buck with a bike ... but for me at this point, it's all about the comfort and the ride.

Rob
- Steven Wright
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

gt1000 wrote:I agree about the wheels. For me, they're much more of an issue than shaft vs. chain drive. I can't tell from the pictures, but they do look like tube-type rims. I've owned bikes with tube tires and never had an issue but the folks I've know who have had issues will never ride on tubes again. They also look like very heavy rims, so handling could be slow.

I actually like the feel of the chain drive v. shaft drive.

+1 on cruiser position. I wish they made more standard bikes. I hate having my feet out there so far in front.

+1 also on scooter costs. To me, you have to look at a Burgman 650 as a poor man's Gold Wing. I do think the Yamaha Majesty is fairly reasonable for what you get at $6,100.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

gt1000 wrote:I
As for maxi scoot vs. motorcycle? Also very personal.
For me, the best choice is motorcycle, but I don't like maxis at all.
Generally speaking, you will get more bang for your buck features-wise with a bike rather than a scoot.
-100!
More features with a MC??? -Strongly disagree! :wink:
After riding MCs for 25 years and scooters for 6, I'll take a scooter every time!
MCs have more power and speed, true, but the bigger scooters are fast enough for US roads!
Plus they have the comfort and good storage that most motorcycles are sorely lacking!
Also the rider's weather and safety protection on a scooter far outshines what you will find on naught but the
biggest touring MCs, but then most scooters can handle quicker and easier and run circles easily around these bigger MCs! :twisted:

It's been my considered experience that scooters are lighter, more nimble, more comfortable,
and quicker handling and more sporting (at reasonable speeds), than any MC!
-Of course YMMV..... But the only 'biggest bang' I see with motorcycles is with faster straight line acceleration.
They're much quicker there, so if that's what turns you on, then definitely go for a 'less-features' motorcycle! :D
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

It's been my considered experience that scooters are lighter, more nimble, more comfortable,
-Of course YMMV..... But the only 'biggest bang' I see with motorcycles is with faster straight line acceleration.
They're much quicker there, so if that's what turns you on, then definitely go for a 'less-features' motorcycle!
Know what? As a fellow scooterist and motorcyclist, I can't disagree with (almost) anything you're saying. But, I need to clarify something...

I probably should not have used the word "features". What I'm trying to say is that with a similarly priced or even cheaper motorcycle, you're typically going to get better brakes, adjustable suspension, more power. You also get more choices. For example, for the price of a Vespa GTS, you can choose between cruiser, standard, sport or dual sport bikes. Or the Vespa, of course.

I ride my scooter far more often than my bike but I put way more miles on my bike. Both are great tools but only for certain jobs. As far as quicker handling and more sporting? I think we'll need to agree to disagree, even at moderate speeds. Nothing is quite as nimble as a small frame scoot, but certain bikes (my Hyper for one, any Husky SM, any well set up dirt bike) come close in nimbleness while doing all sorts of other things better.
Andy

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

They're much quicker there, so if that's what turns you on, then definitely go for a 'less-features' motorcycle!
Know what? As a fellow scooterist and motorcyclist, I can't disagree with (almost) anything you're saying. But, I need to clarify something...

I probably should not have used the word "features". What I'm trying to say is that with a similarly priced or even cheaper motorcycle, you're typically going to get better brakes, adjustable suspension, more power. You also get more choices. For example, for the price of a Vespa GTS, you can choose between cruiser, standard, sport or dual sport bikes. Or the Vespa, of course.

I ride my scooter far more often than my bike but I put way more miles on my bike. Both are great tools but only for certain jobs. As far as quicker handling and more sporting? I think we'll need to agree to disagree, even at moderate speeds. Nothing is quite as nimble as a small frame scoot, but certain bikes (my Hyper for one, any Husky SM, any well set up dirt bike) come close in nimbleness while doing all sorts of other things better.
Andy

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Drumwoulf wrote: After riding MCs for 25 years and scooters for 6, I'll take a scooter every time!
I have nearly fifty years experience riding MCs and scooters. I would never make this statement. The first question should always be "how do you want to use this machine and how do you expect it to perform". In many instances the answer certainly will be that a scooter will do the job nicely. In other cases a MC is clearly a better and more comfortable choice. A Honda Shadow is a fine bike and has capablilities that are not matched by any scooter. (Match the tool to the job!)
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Dooglas wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote: After riding MCs for 25 years and scooters for 6, I'll take a scooter every time!
I have nearly fifty years experience riding MCs and scooters. I would never make this statement. The first question should always be "how do you want to use this machine and how do you expect it to perform". In many instances the answer certainly will be that a scooter will do the job nicely. In other cases a MC is clearly a better and more comfortable choice. A Honda Shadow is a fine bike and has capablilities that are not matched by any scooter. (Match the tool to the job!)
Okay, I'm challenging you to back up that statement... :twisted:
Outside of straight line acceleration, which I'll grant you, WHAT possible qualities would a 750 Honda Shadow have that,
say, a BV250 or BV500 or GTS300 or Tmax 500 or Silver Wing 600 wouldn't be equal to, or even better than????? :shock:
Suspension? Handling? Safety? Comfort? Price? Adequate USA road speed?
Sorry, I don't see it. Not at all...

And when you talk scooters, you can't really judge everything from the perspective of a 125cc Buddy!
There's lots of larger and more powerful scoots out there that IMO would be EXTREMELY better
to own, ride, and maintain than a Shadow 750 crusier! :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Drumwoulf wrote:There's lots of larger and more powerful scoots out there that IMO would be EXTREMELY better to own, ride, and maintain than a Shadow 750 crusier!
I did not say that the Shadow is the ultimate motorcycle. I said that a scooter is not always the best PTW answer. That seems pretty obvious considering the long distance abilities of many bikes, the off road capabilities of others, and the load carring capacity of some (including sidecar capability). I think you are letting yourself get diverted into personal preferences. That part is your own business. Personally, I dislike maxi-scoots. I don't like their looks, layout, or riding position. I do greatly admire the GTS300 Vespa but would hardly say that is more powerful, more reliable, easier to maintain, or better to ride under all conditions than a large displacement Honda motorcycle. (extremely?)
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Okay---
The 750 Shadow has spoked wheels and tube tires; something to be VERY careful with on the road. It has a chain that requires regular tightening and oiling, but it's lack of a centerstand makes this (and tire changes) difficult to do without special jacks. You have to manually shift the tranny, which becomes old quick when in any kind of traffic. It's riding position is feet way out front like on a lounger, so your spine takes a lot of jolts from the suspension because you can't stand on the pegs. (I've had many a Honda MC; they're NOT known for their suspensions)! The feet forward riding position is also very tiring w/o a windshield. The bike is heavy, and it's a bear to make slow turns on around town with the top heavy V-twin engine and somewhat extended front forks, which tend to flop over. The dual exhaust exiting out of the right side means you have to be always consciously aware of their heat, and be always careful to avoid pipe burns! (OUCH!) You'll be lucky to get 50MPG on it, and it has absolutely NO storage! And I'm guessing it would cost you new, OTD, an easy $8K

Now let's take the BV250. It's not as fast as the Shadow, will not accelerate as quickly, but will do around 80MPH w/o any problems on the highway, and has VERY nimble handling around town. And it's very good CVT automatic tranny make it far easier to handle when in traffic. It has 16" tubeless tires on good cast wheels, has an upright riding position on a comfortable seat, and you can move your feet around to many different positions on the floor. It comes with a very good windshield as standard, and it has a glove compartment and fairly good storage under the seat, and would not look foolish with a top box on the back of it either. The suspension soaks up bumps, and riders of the '09 FUEL INJECTED model say it's returning about 80 MPG!! And it's EFI engine runs very smooth, very quiet, and all hot parts (including the exhaust) are pretty much tucked safely out of the way where they'll not bother either rider or passenger. It's belt drive normally requires no adjustments, no oiling, and needs replacing only about every 8K miles. And it has both a sidestand AND a very easy to use CENTERSTAND, which is why I say it's much easier to maintain. It costs $4800, which means with some careful bargaining you could prolly get it for around $5200 OTD.

I dunno about you, but there's no way in hell I would pay around $3k more to get the many shortfalls in features the Shadow has, in comparison with a Piaggio BV250 scooter! :P
Like I said, I've ridden MCs about 5 times longer than scooters. But my last 6 years on scooters has convinced me that the automatic snobbishness most motorcycists have regarding the "superiority" of all motorcycles over all scooters is, in point of fact, without any basis in reality! :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

Honda's are great.

My Valk:

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Please, comparing the Shadow and BV is apples and oranges. The OP was interested in a used Shadow at a used price. Comparing these two models new is slightly off base at best. Replace said Shadow with a Yamaha WR250, a Suzuki DR or a Honda XR (or any number of other bikes) and you've addressed most of the issues, including the cost discrepancy. You've also gotten yourself a bike that has all sorts of add-on storage options but, to be fair, those will cost you a few hundred bucks extra.

Like I said, I love both scoots and bikes but I would not be comfortable with a BV or GTS on the highway. For highway riding, I want the manual gearbox and the extra power because my mantra on the highway is to avoid blindspots with quick bursts of throttle or brakes, whichever is safer. I'm way oversimplifying here, but when the speeds get above 60, I want control of my gears and I want radial mounted brakes. To each his/her own. I also spend maybe a half hour every other month cleaning and lubing my chain. It also gives me time to inspect my bike and tighten fasteners.

I may be a bit of a traditionalist, but damn, I still enjoy shifting a good gear box. In my cars and on my bikes. :wink:
Andy

Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Dooglas wrote:. A Honda Shadow is a fine bike and has capablilities that are not matched by any scooter.
Actually I'm not comparing all scooters to all motorcycles, a'la apples and oranges...
I've been around long enough to know that each has it's place, for many varied and different purposes :wink:
What I'm responding to is the typical over-the-top motorcyclist style snobbishness posted above...
A Honda Shadow "has capabilities that are not matched by ANY scooter"???
AFAIC a Honda Shadow does not even come CLOSE to having the capabilities and features of MANY scooters! :lol:

And as far as shifting goes, we currently have two 5-speed cars and two auto CVT scooters.
We got the 5-speed cars because of tradition, fun, and fuel economy.
But our next cars, now that the automatic trannys have improved so much in fuel economy, will absolutely be automatics also!
Constantly shifting gears up and down in suburban and city traffic has lost it's appeal for me for some time now.
And the twisties, when I can get to them, are just as much fun with CVT, and in fact even more so because
I can concentrate on the flow thru the curves w/o the herky-jerky business of shifting gears!
And "tradition," because of shifting? Hell, that really doesn't mean much of anything to me anymore!... 8)
TEHO, right? :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You seem to have confused what I said with the idea that there has to be a BEST all around PTW. There is no such thing. Are there situations where a Honda Shadow would be a better choice than a BV 250? There sure are. Are there situations where a Buddy 125 whould be a better choice than big Honda? Certainly. There are also situations where a Ural w/sidecar is a better choice than any of the above. (that's why I own one)

Seems like this thread has turned into a dispute over whether everyone else has the same preferences as you. Lets make it simple. No they don't. There is a great range of personal preference and intended use out there. Presumably the folks on this board are bound together by our enjoyment of small frame scoots. Beyond that, it is anything goes.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Dooglas wrote:. A Honda Shadow is a fine bike and has capablilities that are not matched by any scooter.
I believe I gave an appropriate response to the above quoted statement.
And God no, I really don't want others to share the same preferences I do,
because that would make the world a rather boring place... :lol:

What I was trying to do was point out the prejudices and assumptions many MC riders mistakenly
have regarding the built-in "inferiority" of scooters, by offering a point-by-point comparison
of a popular motorcycle with a popular scooter.

But apparently i've failed in my attempt to encourage some people to occasionally
think about these things in a less limited and more open manner... :cry:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have no idea who you are trying to convince of what. Virtually all of us already own and enjoy a Buddy or similar small modern scooter. Many of us also own motorcycles or other PTW. I own and hugely enjoy a Russian-built 750 Ural with sidecar. It has almost every feature you have said you don't like. It has spoked wheels, an old technology manual transmission with reverse, drum brakes, no floorboards or other scooter amenities, etc. It is awkward in town where a Buddy is quick and manuveurable. For all that, it is the perfect machine for my SO and I to take on a pleasant afternoon ride in the countryside or a 3 day back road adventure with all our gear. We like it. You don't need to. We are okay with that.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks to all for the opinions and advice. I rode the bike for 3 hours this morning and felt the same about the ride as DJElliot. It really was a great ride in almost all aspects. I even ventured on I94 for a while and felt as comfortable as possible, for me, stacked between the heavy traffic and trucks. The fit was great, although I think I'll be replacing the pegs with floorboards and adding a few other odds and ends. Oh yeah, that would mean that I bought it and am picking it up next Thursday ... only because I ran out of time today and will be our or town until Wednesday.

I read through much of the debate on maxis vs. motorcycles and agreed with much of what was said. As I mentioned before, there are pros and cons each way. I don't tend to think in absolutes or black and white, but see shades of gray each way. When it was all said and done, the main factors were the fact that I just don't like the way the maxis look, at least to me the ride of the Shadow was equal or better than the maxis I've ridden, for $3K I don't think I could do much better, and I really like the idea of the large selection of add-ons available for these bikes.

I did ride a Burgman 650 a couple of weeks ago and candidly, I found the response to be a little sluggish, as I guess you would expect from a touring scooter, especially after riding the Buddy 125 for the better part of a year now. Yes, the Shadow isn't any better than the Burgman in that regard, but I didn't notice it being much worse. And the gentleman who owned the 650 I rode, has owned motorcycles from way back and was trading this Burgman in and getting a larger bike. He just prefers bikes over maxis, which would go back to what many are saying, it's for the most part personal preference. It's also nice to be able to have both ... the Shadow and the Buddy, so I will have some flexibility and choice in my rides.

I'll admit I was concerned about the comments made about the tubed tires and did some checking. I talked to a service guy at a local dealer, a guy I've known for a long time. He told me that yes, in theory tubed tires are more susceptible to rapid deflation, but that in his 16 years there, he had never heard of a single incident of that occurring. He also told me there was a local place that would convert the tubed tires to tubeless for $60 a tire. I don't know anything about that yet, but I will check into it.

Thanks again for the input.

Rob
Last edited by Rob on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Steven Wright
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Yah Rob! Another Honda & Buddy home! I took an 85 mile ride today on the CB750 and it was a blast (even did some dirt which was an absolute thrill and really stupid!). But getting it out of and back into the city is a pain, which is why the Bud is my daily stop-and-go commuter. You owe us pics next week!

Oh, Dooglas, I didn't realise the Ural has a reverse gear. How awesome is that...must make the hack set-up a little bit easier to negotiate.

And seriously...spoked wheels are works of art. Yum.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Rob wrote:......... it's for the most part personal preference. It's also nice to be able to have both ... the Shadow and the Buddy, so I will have some flexibity and choice in my rides.
Congratulations on your new ride. Hope you enjoy the heck out of both choices in your stable.
Rob

Post by Rob »

siobhan wrote:Yah Rob! Another Honda & Buddy home! I took an 85 mile ride today on the CB750 and it was a blast (even did some dirt which was an absolute thrill and really stupid!). But getting it out of and back into the city is a pain, which is why the Bud is my daily stop-and-go commuter. You owe us pics next week!

Oh, Dooglas, I didn't realise the Ural has a reverse gear. How awesome is that...must make the hack set-up a little bit easier to negotiate.

And seriously...spoked wheels are works of art. Yum.
Thanks Siobhan, I'm really looking forward to getting out on some longer rides. Now, if you really want to get down in the dirt, you'll have to try a little ATVing. I really do have too many toys now ... I've filled a 3 car garage with toys and the vehicles are sitting in the driveway. :oops:
Dooglas wrote:
Rob wrote:......... it's for the most part personal preference. It's also nice to be able to have both ... the Shadow and the Buddy, so I will have some flexibity and choice in my rides.
Congratulations on your new ride. Hope you enjoy the heck out of both choices in your stable.
Thanks, I definitely will! I was just thinking that now I'll probably put very few miles on the SUV until the winter months.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Alex P

Post by Alex P »

This is an awesome thread. I'm jumping in pretty late, but I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give the information and opinions in here. My Roughhouse is perfect for my around town riding needs. I have developed a deep obsession with two wheeled conveyance because of it. That obsession has also transferred to wanting to be able to take longer trips as well. I've been researching the maxi's and some MC's as well, and it's great to come across a thread with so many folks who have experience with both. I rode dirt bikes as a kid, but that's the extent of my MC experience, which is very different from street riding.

I'm partial to the Citycom 300i, more because I've read nothing but glowing reviews, and the Honda cruisers up to the 800cc range. Can anyone speak to passenger comfort on a maxi vs. a MC? That's a consideration I haven't been able to quantify so far.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Alex P wrote:This is an awesome thread. I'm jumping in pretty late, but I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give the information and opinions in here. My Roughhouse is perfect for my around town riding needs. I have developed a deep obsession with two wheeled conveyance because of it. That obsession has also transferred to wanting to be able to take longer trips as well. I've been researching the maxi's and some MC's as well, and it's great to come across a thread with so many folks who have experience with both. I rode dirt bikes as a kid, but that's the extent of my MC experience, which is very different from street riding.

I'm partial to the Citycom 300i, more because I've read nothing but glowing reviews, and the Honda cruisers up to the 800cc range. Can anyone speak to passenger comfort on a maxi vs. a MC? That's a consideration I haven't been able to quantify so far.
Seats vary so much on both maxiscooters and motorcycles,
I doubt any general comparison can be made w/o knowing the specific scooter or motorcycle involved.
One has to consider passenger footrest placement also,
when buying a PTW with specific concerns regarding carrying passengers with some comfort! 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Moosy

Post by Moosy »

jrsjr wrote:Hey Rob, that's a nice looking bike, but you might be happier with the Aero model because it also has shaft drive to keep the maintenance down, way down, on road trips and stuff.
Oh god the Aero is just pure sexy. That is my dream bike. I love that classic low-slung, soft tail look. *drool*
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Moosy wrote:
Oh god the Aero is just pure sexy. That is my dream bike. I love that classic low-slung, soft tail look. *drool*
Last Saturday my husband picked up a Honda Shadow 750 Aero. It was a 2008 holdover. $7300 with tax and license. I tried to talk him into a scoot but he wouldn't go for it. Said he wasn't a scooter guy. Oh, well! I think he was getting jealous of me taking off for joy rides without him.

His is black and silver with a red pinstripe. I actually picked it out.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Congrats on the new ride! Honda is a great machine. Practically bulletproof. Enjoy!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

dakotamouse wrote:Last Saturday my husband picked up a Honda Shadow 750 Aero. It was a 2008 holdover. $7300 with tax and license. I tried to talk him into a scoot but he wouldn't go for it. Said he wasn't a scooter guy. Oh, well! I think he was getting jealous of me taking off for joy rides without him.

Nice! Sounds like a good choice to me. Is your hubby an experienced rider? If so, you guys can start riding together right away. You don't know how many guys out there wish their wives would ride. I bet every 10th motorcycle for sale on my local Craigslist says, "Bought it for the wife to ride, but..." I think your hubby is a lucky guy. :D

Ride Safe. Both of you.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

jrsjr wrote:
dakotamouse wrote:Last Saturday my husband picked up a Honda Shadow 750 Aero. It was a 2008 holdover. $7300 with tax and license. I tried to talk him into a scoot but he wouldn't go for it. Said he wasn't a scooter guy. Oh, well! I think he was getting jealous of me taking off for joy rides without him.

Nice! Sounds like a good choice to me. Is your hubby an experienced rider? If so, you guys can start riding together right away. You don't know how many guys out there wish their wives would ride. I bet every 10th motorcycle for sale on my local Craigslist says, "Bought it for the wife to ride, but..." I think your hubby is a lucky guy. :D

Ride Safe. Both of you.

Hubby has had dirt bikes, quads and street bikes. Hasn't had a street bike in a while, he was concentrating on his "dirty work"! Seeing me have so much fun on my scoot got him to missing having a street bike.

He has been involved in motorcycle enduro races, those are around 100 miles at a time. He likes to read magazines about dirt bikes. I like to tell everyone about all the "dirty" magazines he gets in the mail! :lol:
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!