Most Comfortable Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rickyd410

Most Comfortable Scooter

Post by rickyd410 »

I know alot of you guys/gals have ridden several types of scooters over the years, so I'm wondering, What is THE most comfortable scooter you've ever ridden?

The buddy is great, but man, when I'm riding on not-so-great-roads, the bumps are killing my backside. And long distances get to be a little much as well.

What say you?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I can say without reservation that the Buddy is without a doubt the most comfortable scooter I have ever had the pleasure of riding.

Of course, it's the only one.

I rode it over 100 miles last Saturday, including a good chunk of the middle portion in the rain.

I was not uncomfortable at all. Wet, yes. Uncomfortable, no.

Cincinnati gets pretty bumpy in places, and I have noted that I feel the bumps riding the Buddy. I also am aware that in the 4 wheel world, I vastly prefer a stiffer suspension (think European car) vs. soft ride (many American cars). I normally drive a Subaru Outback, and my rental car on this trip (I am in the airport right this moment waiting to fly home) was a PT Cruiser. Way too soft a ride for me, made me vaguely car sick.

Of course, you were really asking people who had ridden lots of different scoots. Ignore what I have just said as the ramblings of a bored travler sitting in the airport with nothing better to do.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

All opinions are welcome. :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

The Honda Helix is pretty comfortable......I haven't ridden a Yamaha Morphous but they're comfortable to sit on!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Burgman 650 Executive, no doubt about it. Its like riding a Lazy Boy at 80 mph.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

My buddy is more comfortable than my uncles vespa gts250, as far ass the seat goes. Now, when it comes to full comfort, stretching out and what not, it is far better.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

I've ridden quite a few scooters: Geely 50, Tomos StreetMate 50, Honda Elite 80, Yamaha Vino 125 and now my Buddy 125. I can say, without a doubt, the Buddy is the most comfortable ride I've experienced thus far. The seat is softer than any I've mentioned. And for me, seat height is an important factor in comfort since I'm pretty short (I want to be comfortable while sitting at an intersection).

I guess I've not ridden over too many bumps to critique suspension, except to say that the Tomos StreetMate was horrible. It bounced all over with any tiny, little bump. The entire scooter vibrated so much from the engine that my hands and feet would itch from the constant vibration. I hated riding that thing. I would NEVER recommend that scooter to anyone.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry about going off on a tangent!
:?
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

I've only ridden on two scooters in my life. My Dad's Pigeon back in the early to mid 70s, and it wasn't compfy. I usually avoid anything that has a similiar shaped seat (the smaller round ones, they looke like big flat old style bicycle seats, only larger.) I also have a Buddy50. There are a LOT of bad roads on this base, and I took one nasty bridge off base in the dark with it too. Not too bad in my opinion. Then again, I've spent DECADES running over the same rough roads, and more with a bicycle (no suspension at all)

I like the overall shape of the seat, if I'm alone on it, I can scooch back or forward depending upon road/wind conditions, and how I feel like riding that day. I have a bit of a weird body type though, I'm only 5 foot 3 inches, but I have orangutan arms and legs. (They're about the same length as that of a 5'5" or 5'6" woman. Other women my height ask me to reach things for them. LOL) It makes for either odd riding styles (can be painful to the back and shoulders) or a vehicle that is just an odd enough size, or basically sized for a short to fairly short man.

I guess my opinion would be a tad biased in this case. I did sit on a couple of the scooters at the motorcycle shop, and only one even remotely felt comfortable. Then I sat on the Buddy and immediately liked it.
Keys

Post by Keys »

The seat on the Buddy is more comfy than on any of the Vespas I've owned and more comfy than the one was on my Bajaj. My wife has a Honda Helix that I ride now and then. I even put 450 miles on it in one day once. I have discovered that about 10 - 15 minutes in the saddle and my lower back aches...and I don't have back issues! I rode the Buddy over 300 miles one day and my back never hurt. The Helix rides very smooth and even while the Buddy bounces and carrys on, but the Helix locks you in one position whereas I can move around all over the Buddy.

My pick? Buddy.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I haven't been able to put miles on any scooter yet but from testing them out at the dealer I'd have to say these are my picks from each engine size:

125cc: Genuine Buddy
200cc: People S
250cc: Vespa GTS
500cc: Piaggio BV500

Once again this is a VERY limited opinion.

---
I have a question though. For all of you that do long distance riding, what helps you avoid/relieve developing back pains from riding? Stretches? Exercises? Posture? ....?
Roose Hurro

Seat Of The Pants...

Post by Roose Hurro »

Haven't ridden any scoots, but I've sat on a few... the Honda Metro and CH80 being the most comfortable, though the Honda Silverwing also felt good. On all three, I was able to flatfoot, with enough bend in my knees to manuever the bikes. Something I've been unable to do on the modern Vespas.

hangukhurley... since I'm looking very strongly at a used CH80, and you've ridden one, any info on your experience/opinion would be good to hear. From what I've heard, they're supposed to be one of the... if not "the one and only" most reliable scoot ever made. After all, Honda has made them without changes since the early/mid 80's till the present, so that has to mean something! Thanks....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

hangukhurley... since I'm looking very strongly at a used CH80, and you've ridden one, any info on your experience/opinion would be good to hear. From what I've heard, they're supposed to be one of the... if not "the one and only" most reliable scoot ever made. After all, Honda has made them without changes since the early/mid 80's till the present, so that has to mean something! Thanks....
You're definitely correct about the Honda Elite 80 being reliable! I had a beat-up '86, but after my husband cleaned and replaced parts and spiffed up the exterior, it worked pretty well. My husband liked working on it. Parts are very easy to get from www.bikebandit.com.

The only reason I got a different scoot was because I wanted something that could keep up with the speed limits in our area (50 mph). I took my MSF class on the Elite and, man, that was sweet!

Good luck on your decision. Let me know what you eventually decide.
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
Roose Hurro

Wing And Prayer...

Post by Roose Hurro »

Hey, hangukhurley... thanks for the link! It's now safely installed on my Favorites list. I've been strongly looking at the CH80 specifically for its reliability... and its cheap availability, though the one I'm looking at ($1099) is not the cheapest I've seen ($400). However, I've been told it has had a 20mm carb put on, replacing the stock 16mm. And I've been told it's faster than stock, which is good, since I'm looking for something with a minimum top speed of 55mph. Also, it's a '99 with less than 12,000 miles on it... and it's black. Last time I checked, it was also still available. Keeping my fingers crossed, but funding is a big IF right now. Shame is, I've found the perfect helment... an Arai Ram II, on sale for only $200 (normally $447, by the tag). Only one left on the shelf, and in my size, too!

Yeah, that's what really bites about my situation... I see the bike and all the stuff I need, available and/or on sale, but no moola. I really doubt my tax returns would cover it all, but I can always hope karma comes my way (me want it now!).... *meanwhile --> :cry: *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I don't think it's all that fair comparing the small frame Buddy to every other "scooter" on the market, regardless of size. Compared to other small frame machines the Buddy is pretty similar. I wouldn't want to spend hours in the saddle but for my typical uses, the Buddy is fine.

By comparison, my old Aprilia Mojito 50 was much more comfortable. Better seat, better suspension, just an amazing combination of comfort and handling.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm sure there's no "most comfortable" option that would suit all—or even most—of us. Sure, Burgman may be a Lazy Boy on wheels, but I wouldn't be comfortable driving one. For me, the Buddy is comfortable enough until I start to feel crowded from the lack of floorboard space. As is, my size 12s are angled up. Sure, I could put them on the passenger footrests, but that's not the intended riding position. I don't find the Buddy seat any more or less comfortable than most.

People have issues or complaints with fit and comfort on all scoots. Some are too tall, others not cushy enough, some seats have a hump or divider, some scoots are too wide, whatever.

I know that I could talk myself into being very comfortable on any of the following scoots: Red Stella, Lambretta TV 200 or SX 200, Honda Eterno, Vespa GS, Vespa GTS or GTV, Aprilia Sport City 250, Gilera GP800... and many others, I'm sure!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Is there a way to improve the Buddy suspension?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Eric, I think you forgot Vespa Rally 180 or 200.

--Keys 8)
Roose Hurro

I'm Shocked...

Post by Roose Hurro »

rickyd410 wrote:Is there a way to improve the Buddy suspension?

Well, I imagine it could be replaced... after all, Vespas can be fitted with Biturbo shocks. Can't see why the Buddy couldn't do the same. Conversely, you could always have the existing shocks revalved, and/or the springs upgraded.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keys wrote:Eric, I think you forgot Vespa Rally 180 or 200.

--Keys 8)
That falls under "and many others." :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

I have to agree with GT1000. Every scooter fits different people in different ways, and the way to know if it's comfy for you is to test ride a whole bunch. In my experience, with the scooters I've had the pleasure of riding, my old Mojito was the most comfortable. The reasons: big, plush seat, anti-diving double fork, good suspension in back, a 12" wheel on the front, and a fat 10" on the back, plenty of leg room/foot position possibilities, and a low seat hight. I've also ridden the following:
ET4 150 (2 different ones)
People 150
Big Ruckus 250
Baron 150 (Chinese POS)
Agility 125
When the Mojito died, I chose the Buddy. I find it comfortable for the way I ride, and the kind of streets I ride it on.
My $0.02
-M@
Keys

Post by Keys »

As many racers have discovered over the years, the only problem with replacing the rear shocks with better ones is the bike is then unbalanced...the front needs to be altered as well so you don't dive at inappropriate times and the whole bike doesn't "pogo" over pavement irregularities. If you change out the shock, replacing the springs in the front would be the right thing to do. I know there are companies that specialize in fork springs, but I couldn't point you in the right direction. Also, I'm not aware of any outfits specializing in scooter springs. That being said, though, most of the spring outfits CAN make custom springs...for a price....

--Keys 8)
Roose Hurro

Modification...

Post by Roose Hurro »

Yes, that is always the big caveat... "for a price". If it don't come off the shelf, either factory or aftermarket, then you need to find someone who knows what they're doing (and pay them big bucks) to make you what you want. I've heard of motorcycles being revalved and/or resprung, so I can't see why a scooter wouldn't follow the same principles. Best thing would be to speak to a motorcycle suspension shop, to see if they would be able to do a Buddy... of course, this is based on the assumption the Buddy can't be retrofitted with something "off the shelf", designed specifically for make and model. Actually, a simple revalving of the stock shocks shouldn't cost all that much, probably equal if not less than new parts. Having to modify the scoot to fit something aftermarket, something not originally designed for a Buddy, would be the expensive way to go.

booleanman

Post by booleanman »

rickyd410 wrote:Is there a way to improve the Buddy suspension?
I asked the Scooters Originali people if there was a better shock or some other way to improve the Buddy suspension. They weren't aware of anything, though they're keeping an eye out for what other people may be doing. At the time, I'm not sure what can be done about it.
- bool