Do I *have* to replace that tire? Maybe a couple more miles?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Do I *have* to replace that tire? Maybe a couple more miles?

Post by jrsjr »

I realize this is not a Buddy tire, but I accidentally stumbled on this pic of my tire failure and couldn't resist posting it. All I can say is, it's a good thing that bad boy didn't come apart one day earlier when I was making tracks across the Nevada desert... Photo credit goes to Pistol Pete, thanks.
Attachments
CannonballTireBlister.JPG
CannonballTireBlister.JPG (41.16 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
louie

Post by louie »

good grief jr, go out there and get some miles on that tire. :shock:
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

goodness gracious!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

How does the penny tread thickness trick work on that tire?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Heck, a duck tape and your good for another 1000 or more miles. Go for it! HaHaHa!
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Vic

Post by Vic »

Ok, so how does one determine when a scooter tire is no longer safe?

I know if it has cracks/checks. Obviously if chunks are missing. But what else?

My back tire is being replaced on Saturday, it is smooth in the middle, so I figured it is time.

But, the wear is very different than my car, so some advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
-v
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

what happened? it looks like someone took a bite not that it went bald in just 1 spot!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

That should buff right out...
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Vic wrote:Ok, so how does one determine when a scooter tire is no longer safe?

My back tire is being replaced on Saturday, it is smooth in the middle, so I figured it is time.

Thanks,
-v
For the most part the tread in the middle is the indicator. In dry weather, a bald tire would be fine (with the exception of how much tire is left) as that's what tires look like on a race track. When it rains, those grooves channel water away and let rubber touch the road instead of pressing a thin film of slippery water down between the tire and the road.

Bike tires are much more curved to allow for leaning into turns. So the tread on the outside will wear slower. Often most of that tread will still be in good shape when the tire is replaced.

The last factor is condition. Dryrot, damage, etc (even recent repairs such as a plug) are good indicators that the tire needs to be replaced.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

"it's not a too-mah." - Arnold
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:
Vic wrote:Ok, so how does one determine when a scooter tire is no longer safe?

Thanks,
-v

For the most part the tread in the middle is the indicator. In dry weather, a bald tire would be fine (with the exception of how much tire is left) as that's what tires look like on a race track. When it rains, those grooves channel water away and let rubber touch the road instead of pressing a thin film of slippery water down between the tire and the road.

Bike tires are much more curved to allow for leaning into turns. So the tread on the outside will wear slower. Often most of that tread will still be in good shape when the tire is replaced.

The last factor is condition. Dryrot, damage, etc (even recent repairs such as a plug) are good indicators that the tire needs to be replaced.
I'll run them till they're fairly bald sometimes in the summer when its not raining, I'd never do that in the rainy season.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Oh, for some reason I just assumed it rained there all the time.

With as many miles as you put on yours, though, I can see stretching out as much as possible from your tires, hehe.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:Oh, for some reason I just assumed it rained there all the time.

With as many miles as you put on yours, though, I can see stretching out as much as possible from your tires, hehe.
Yeah, thats what blows my mind about people who change their tires every 1500 miles. I'd be changing them once a month!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote: Yeah, thats what blows my mind about people who change their tires every 1500 miles. I'd be changing them once a month!
People do that?! Between that and the synthetic oil change every 1000 miles, and it comes out much cheaper to drive my truck.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

What make of tire is that? fill the hole in with Gorilla Glue and duct tape it...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
Vic

Post by Vic »

Thanks, that was pretty much what I figured. I drove the Bug today because it was pouring this morning with minor flooding and I didn't want to take the chance with this tire.

By the time I got to work I was fit to be tied. I came straight home after work (the front was through so dry roads) and took the scoot to my meeting this evening. I arrived in a good mood and the meeting went well. Scooting home was a bit chilly, but still it was a great ride.

I have never looked forward to a tire change so much in my life! :lol:

-v
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

That may be the single, worst looking tire I've ever seen. You were fortunate not to suffer some sort of failure at speed.

Scooter and bike tire wear can be a little more complex to judge because, as has already been stated, different parts of the tire receive different amounts of wear, depending on how you ride. This is why many high performance tires are now dual or even tri-compound formulas. For example, the tires on my bicycle and motorcycle are dual compound. The center tread is hard for increased wear on the straights, the sidewalls are soft for better cornering traction. In an ideal world, these dual compounds might wear evenly but they almost never do in practice.

Check your tires regularly. They're literally the only thing between you and pavement, so it's wise to err on the side of caution. When you check your treadwear, look for the little indicator blocks in the tread. If those blocks are flush with the surface of the tire, you need a new tire now. Even if the tread on the sidewalls looks great.

As for rolling on "bald" tires? If you do, you're risking serious consequences. Race tires are not "bald", they're slicks that are constructed for a single purpose. Even though there's no visible tread, there is still compound between the pavement and the cords. If you're riding on bald street tires, you've used up your compound and there's precious little substance between the pavement and the air inside your tires.

I too know folks who replace tires every 2500 miles or less but it's because they have to. You know when you have to by inspection, there's no other way.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Vic

Post by Vic »

gt1000 wrote:That may be the single, worst looking tire I've ever seen. You were fortunate not to suffer some sort of failure at speed.

Scooter and bike tire wear can be a little more complex to judge because, as has already been stated, different parts of the tire receive different amounts of wear, depending on how you ride. This is why many high performance tires are now dual or even tri-compound formulas. For example, the tires on my bicycle and motorcycle are dual compound. The center tread is hard for increased wear on the straights, the sidewalls are soft for better cornering traction. In an ideal world, these dual compounds might wear evenly but they almost never do in practice.

Check your tires regularly. They're literally the only thing between you and pavement, so it's wise to err on the side of caution. When you check your treadwear, look for the little indicator blocks in the tread. If those blocks are flush with the surface of the tire, you need a new tire now. Even if the tread on the sidewalls looks great.

As for rolling on "bald" tires? If you do, you're risking serious consequences. Race tires are not "bald", they're slicks that are constructed for a single purpose. Even though there's no visible tread, there is still compound between the pavement and the cords. If you're riding on bald street tires, you've used up your compound and there's precious little substance between the pavement and the air inside your tires.

I too know folks who replace tires every 2500 miles or less but it's because they have to. You know when you have to by inspection, there's no other way.
Thanks! This is great information and definitely clears up some confusion. I am glad I will be getting new tires tomorrow.

-v