Where is the best place for me to store my Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

adamshahan

Where is the best place for me to store my Buddy?

Post by adamshahan »

I just bought a Buddy 125 (which is currently in the backseat of my Buick Century) and I need to know where I should store it. I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building so taking it in the house is out of the question. Is it okay to leave it covered outside in the rain? What if someone steals it?

I do have a storage unit I can rent on the 1st floor, but the contract says nothing flammable can be in there. So if there was a fire, I would be liable for the damage to the whole building. Should I put it in there anyway? Is it possible there could be a fire if I put a warm scooter in a small confined space?

Will a full faced helmet fit underneath the seat like this one? Also, I need a good cover with a tight fit, which one do you guys recommend?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks for the help.
santaliqueur

Post by santaliqueur »

My Leela is uncovered in all weather, She's rain proof.

There is very little chance of a fire, but I'm not sure I'd want to take that chance, with you being liable for any fire.

That helmet looks bigger than my helmet, and mine is a pretty snug fit inside the seat. How badly do you need to store the helmet in the seat?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

hmmm. Can you lock it to something secure outside? Is where you're at requiring insurance? Comprehensive should cover theft.

You can get a cover with a pipe shield to help it from touching stuff even in the small, confined space.

It'd be a tight fit in the pet carrier for a FF helmet. You can get the extension for the strap and hang it from the peg under the seat.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

First things first: The back of your car is the worst place to store it! The scooter can get damaged pretty easily if not kept upright.

(But first, can we get a picture of it in the back of the Buick?) :)

In terms of protecting the scooter, it can be left out, under a waterproof cover, in the rain without problems. When it gets cold, you'll have to take some extra steps to prep it for winter storage if you're not going to be riding it.

If it gets stolen, well, that sucks. There have been a lot of scooter thefts lately, many in your region. You need to invest in a good lock—possibly two—and try to identify the best place to store the scooter.

Here's a recent thread on locks:
topic434.html

Here's a very good read on scooter thefts and ways to prevent them, or at least make it really damn hard to steal your scooter:
topic12044.html#155697

The best protection aside from a secure indoor parking spot is theft insurance. If you have renter's insurance, the scooter might be covered.

The storage unit might be the best option for secure parking. When you can't say you can't put anything flammable in there, it makes me wonder what 's not flammable. (Concrete? Metal?) The scooter itself wouldn't cause a fire. It will burn if the unit catches fire, though. Odds of this happening seem a lot lower than the odds of your scooter getting stolen.

Some full face helmets will fit in the storage under the seat, depending on size. I think we have some members with the AFX-90, so maybe one will chime in. (It's a good helmet at a great price!)

As far as covers go, I can't think of many with a tight fit… Most are made to go over a range of sizes of scooter or motorcycle.

There are some cover recommendations here:
viewtopic.php?t=11751

and here…
viewtopic.php?t=9125

For these kinds of specific questions, you may be best off trying to use our less than perfect search function. There's a guide to using it here:
topic5740.html

Welcome to the forum!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I park mine outisde under an S/X appeal cover thats meant for a vespa LX 150 (its a great fit). One thing about this cover is that after about a year (including one michigan winter) the cover is starting to lose its waterproofness, so I'll be having to pick up some water proofing spray. I use an ongaurd disc lock although I'm thinking of getting the xena one with the alarm. I'm also seriously considering one of those grip locks as well. the disc locks and grip locks won't deter a professional thief who really wants your scooter but they do make yours less appealing to thieves. The best is one of those big arse chains that cost about $100.00 attached to the frame of the scooter and around something very tall and very solid. Unfortunatly, there is nothing around my townhouse for me to lock my scooter to so the disc lock is the next best thing.

I havn't hand any problems so far but as others have said get good insurance and make sure you choose a deductable that you can afford to pay. I went with a $250 deductable so that if my baby does ever get stolen I will be able to afford to replace her quickly.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I don't know about that helmet, but my FF Scorpion size XXL fits in the pet carrier. It has to face forward and there can't be anything beneath it, but it does fit. I just put my gloves in through the face shield after the helmet's in there when it's not wanting to cooperate. :)

:+!: to the locking stuff. Don't go for chain from the hardware store. Heavy-duty bicycle locks and motorcycle locks use hardened steel to make it harder to cut through.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

ericalm wrote:The best protection aside from a secure indoor parking spot is theft insurance. If you have renter's insurance, the scooter might be covered.
Motor vehicles designed for street use are generally exlcuded from Home Insurance (i.e Homeowner's, Condo Owner's as well as Renter's) polcies. DO insure your scooter!
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Yes, it does need to be under a waterproof cover if you are going to park it outdoors year around. You may have to remove the battery for storage and trickle charging during the worst of winter. You should also anticipate some corrosion due to dampness.

Yes, it does need to be secured with a sturdy anti-theft chain and lock to deter theft if you are going to leave it outside year around. I presume that you have theft insurance. Real bad idea if you don't.

Yes, a scooter gives off some gasoline fumes and should not be stored where no flammable materials are allowed.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:...(But first, can we get a picture of it in the back of the Buick?) :)...
adamshahan must be Keys' long lost cousin :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=260&highlight=back+seat
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Butterthebean

Re: Where is the best place for me to store my Buddy?

Post by Butterthebean »

adamshahan wrote:I just bought a Buddy 125 (which is currently in the backseat of my Buick Century) and I need to know where I should store it.
I don't mean to be mean...but shouldn't you have thought about this before you bought the scooter???

Just saying....
adamshahan

Post by adamshahan »

I only paid $1500 during scooting season so I didn't want to pass up the deal. There wasn't a whole lot of time to plan what I was going to do with it. I was just going to park it outside and "ride" it up the steps into my apartment on the weekends when I am away.
The back of your car is the worst place to store it! The scooter can get damaged pretty easily if not kept upright
It is upright! I will take a pic of the Buddy in the backseat tomorrow if I get a chance.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

storage

Post by Portland_Rider »

Can you find a safe location in your neighborhood? Yes, buy a cover as it will deter thieves and protect your scoot.

Use a combination of heavy chain locks secured to a solid source and a disc alarm.

Get good insurance and don't be cheap about it.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

adamshahan wrote:I only paid $1500 during scooting season so I didn't want to pass up the deal. There wasn't a whole lot of time to plan what I was going to do with it. I was just going to park it outside and "ride" it up the steps into my apartment on the weekends when I am away.
The back of your car is the worst place to store it! The scooter can get damaged pretty easily if not kept upright
It is upright! I will take a pic of the Buddy in the backseat tomorrow if I get a chance.
Please, please, please post a picture of this!

If you can afford the storage space I would do it. You can lock it, cover it, alarm it, but you will still know that it's sitting outside and that it more vulnerable. Yes it's flammable, but it is not going to spontaneously combust.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

adamshahan wrote:I only paid $1500 during scooting season so I didn't want to pass up the deal. There wasn't a whole lot of time to plan what I was going to do with it. I was just going to park it outside and "ride" it up the steps into my apartment on the weekends when I am away.
Congratulations, you got a great deal on your Buddy. Given that purchase price I would have done the exact same thing, buy the Buddy and worry about the details later.

If you don’t mind paying for the storage unit, then that is where I would store my scooter. The storage unit keeps the scooter out of view from anyone who might be thinking about stealing it. And it is not just thieves that you need to worry about, you could have some kids who are just playing around because it is a cool looking scooter and they accidentally knock it over.

Parking your scooter in a storage unit should be no different than parking it in a garage. As long as there is nothing in the storage unit that would ignite gasoline fumes (like a water heater or furnace), I would have no concerns about parking it in a storage unit.

In addition to keeping your Buddy out of sight, the storage unit also offers protection from the elements. I have been fortunate enough to always park my Buddys in a garage and I believe that this has helped to keep them looking like new. Their chrome racks and chrome mirrors do not have any rusting on them which is a common complaint about the Buddy’s chrome parts.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I agree with hcstrider I would also keep it in storage. Usually those rules are design to protect the apartment complex owner and managers. That way they can point to something/someone else (oily rags, gas cans, paint thinner... etc.) and not be liable for the fire.

I second what bluebuddygirl says "it is not going to spontaneously combust" so my .02¢ is rent storage if you can. It will give you a little piece of mind from thieves and the elements.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

how about underneath the stairwell?
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Where is the best place for me to store my Buddy?

Post by ScooterDave »

adamshahan wrote:Is it okay to leave it covered outside in the rain?
Yes. I keep my daily rider out parked outside.
adamshahan wrote:What if someone steals it?
You would need to call the police and file a report then contact your insurance company.
adamshahan wrote:I do have a storage unit I can rent on the 1st floor, but the contract says nothing flammable can be in there. So if there was a fire, I would be liable for the damage to the whole building. Should I put it in there anyway? Is it possible there could be a fire if I put a warm scooter in a small confined space?
As long as the floor is not covered with oily rags and you are not lighting sparklers & roman candles in there with the scooter, you will be fine.
adamshahan wrote:Will a full faced helmet fit underneath the seat like this one?
A definite maybe. Ride your scooter to a local motorcycle shop and ask them if you can try out their helmets to see if one fits.
adamshahan

Post by adamshahan »

The doors can still shut and the windows can roll all the way up. Skills! I took it out for a ride and nothing got broken during transportation.

I already ordered the FX-90 Helmet and the Cycle Stylez cover so we'll see how they work out.

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

adamshahan wrote:The doors can still shut and the windows can roll all the way up. Skills!
Well, hey then! Problem solved. You won't be using your cage now that you have your scoot. Just use the cage as a scooter garage.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Damn! If I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it possible.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Damn! If I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it possible.
:+!:
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

renters insurance won't cover the scooter if it gets stolen, that's correct. BUT.... it WILL protect you from being responsible for damages due to a fire that you caused. So if your scooter burns the building down (WHICH IT WON'T) you'd be covered by your renters insurance. That's the best place for it, hands down.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

I have a Bell ff helmet that fits under the seat just fine. Storing the scoot out of site would seem the safer move. I concur with what most everyone says, except that ScooterDave guy - I think lighting sparklers in a small storage area with gas fumes could make for some good Friday night excitement.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

r0sa

Post by r0sa »

adamshahan wrote:The doors can still shut and the windows can roll all the way up. Skills! I took it out for a ride and nothing got broken during transportation.

I already ordered the FX-90 Helmet and the Cycle Stylez cover so we'll see how they work out.

WOW! now that's a first, it was hard to believe at first, thought you had the scooter on its side but it looks like it fit just well! so interesting
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

A car is cheaper than a garage...at least in my neck of the woods :lol:
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

a scooter club

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

..might help you find folks w/a need for storage or someone that has storage will help ya out,, just a thought, if you live near a rental storage a small unit for the winter months would be alot less worry,,

buicks= unoffical Buddy storage vechile,,LMFAO