65 mph only 130 miles in?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

new2buddy

65 mph only 130 miles in?

Post by new2buddy »

Well, I know you're not supposed to do it, but I took a wrong turn and ended up on the highway doing 65 mph, at the 130 mile mark. The buddy held up, but I got off in 5 mins and babied it the rest of the day. Did I screw it up or something? And if you were brave enough, could you do this all the time? After all, it reads up to 80 on the speedometer...
DO3

Post by DO3 »

There are many reports of people running their buddies wide open for long periods of time (POCphi, keys, and several others). I've run mine for 45 miles (round trip being 90 miles) pretty much wide open the entire way. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can run these scooters hard for a long time without worrying too much, but don't expect to ever see the needle in that 80 on the speedo unless you find a steep, long hill.

Yes, you are still in the books version of the break in period but I don't think too many people follow it exactly.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Just warm the motor up before revving it and change the oil frequently during break in, oh, and do not keep steady speeds – she will run great! – Officially they tell you something different - those engineers have their reasons.
BlueMark

Breaking in modern engines

Post by BlueMark »

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

The most important factor during break-in is to constantly vary your speeds. You don't want to run the engine at a single speed for any length of time. Most authorities agree that the first 20 miles on any new engine are the most critical, that's where you can do the most good and, conversely, the most damage. Personally, I wouldn't run a new engine at any single speed for 5 minutes but, if you need to keep up with traffic you have bigger issues than break-in to worry about. Since you have over 100 miles on your motor my guess is you're fine.

As far as the other break-in issues, everyone has an opinion. Some say run it hard, some say to baby it and some say to follow the recommendations in the manual. Personally, I like to mostly follow the manual but not be anal about it. I like to load the engine on long uphills and I like to vary real speed and engine speed constantly, especially during the first 500 miles. I'm approaching 1000 miles and I run my Buddy hard, mainly because it's so much fun. One of these days I'm going to get nailed for speeding, I can just feel it.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

Varying speeds seems to be the biggest thing to seat everything properly. When my wife picked her scooter up, the shop guys told us they were impressed that it got up to 68 mph on their test run (it was the first Buddy they got their hands on...). It has almost 2k on it now, and runs like a champ.

Dale.
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
lou76

Post by lou76 »

i would be much more concerned if it was 130mph 65 miles in....
ka3ouc

Running it hard

Post by ka3ouc »

Ran mine somewhat hard during break-in, and now it performs SUPREME!
No problems getting it to 60-65 at all. Although I KNOW she won't hit 80, but the speedometer has read 70. I have read that the Buddy reads a +5 MPH on speedometer. - Charlie
P.S. I also use 93 octane