Vespa S (NBR)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Keys

Vespa S (NBR)

Post by Keys »

Well, I started working part-time at a my local scooter shop in Sedona who carries Genuine, SYM and Vespa products (along with a few lesser types)...the guy I bought my Rattler from. Anyway, he got a beautiful orange Vespa "S" in. I have long thought the "S" was the prettiest Vespa made, so, while my Rattler was being rebuilt, he let me ride the "S". Here's my description of her:

She's smooth, she's confident, she's refined and she's poised under all conditions. She's drop-dead gorgeous and when the time is right, she's as racy as most men can handle. And yes, she's expensive, but just like a fine woman, you know she will always be worth it.

...just my take. And yes, I'm trying to get financing...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Was this the 150 S? Other than the oddly shaped headlight and the solo seat, how does the S differ from the LX?
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

I personally don't care for the look of any of the newer Vespas....but I'm sure she's a great ride. Good luck with the financing :D
rajron

Post by rajron »

Keys;

I couldn’t agree with you more, the Vespa S, and or the other modern Vespas are beautiful and are great machines. Though I prefer the larger Vespa scooters because of the additional power, they all have a smooth subtle design; and their rides are so pleasant, smooth and subtle, as their physical design.

If I ever get another scooter, it will only be a Vespa, in my mind they are the best scooters; people have to ride them to fully appreciate their beauty.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Been riding with a friend of mine who has the S and I gotta say I have always loved the look. He has nothing but good comments about it, while his wife's Piaggio Fly and Yamaha C3 have had reoccurring issues. I'm gonna try to get him to sell me the C3 though for cheap maybe in my dreams and I could drop a 125/150 in there and pimp it out. 8)
Keys

Post by Keys »

jrsjr wrote:Was this the 150 S? Other than the oddly shaped headlight and the solo seat, how does the S differ from the LX?
The "S" has the rectangular headlight, just like the 50 specials as well as some of the sportier models of old (like some of the Sprints), it has, like you say, the solo seat, but it also has the slimmer legshield which houses little cubby-holes instead of a full glove-box and features upgraded suspension components for not only a smoother ride, but better handling as well.

Perhaps minor changes, but the sum of the whole becomes (for me, anyway) a far more appealing machine.

As for the bigger models, I've tested up to the 300 sport, and if I won the lottery, I'd probably get one, because the 300 is a fantastic machine. But to me, more than about 175cc's, you step away from what I would define as "scooter" and into something else. I have the same feelings about big wheels...just get a motorcycle.

--Keys
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I also like the look of the S far more than i do the LX, etc. I think it's mostly the thinner leg shield that I prefer. The only thing about the looks that I DON'T like on the S is the sort of gaudy overkill of the chrome gauge cluster. I LOOOOVE the white S.

When I rode the S, I did enjoy it, but I felt like I was seated up much higher than I am on the Buddy, so overall I prefer riding the Buddy. But that could be just a familiarity thing.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

betsy q. bramble wrote:I also like the look of the S far more than i do the LX, etc. I think it's mostly the thinner leg shield that I prefer. The only thing about the looks that I DON'T like on the S is the sort of gaudy overkill of the chrome gauge cluster. I LOOOOVE the white S.
:+!: :+!: :+!:
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Been riding with a friend of mine who has the S and I gotta say I have always loved the look. He has nothing but good comments about it, while his wife's Piaggio Fly and Yamaha C3 have had reoccurring issues. I'm gonna try to get him to sell me the C3 though for cheap maybe in my dreams and I could drop a 125/150 in there and pimp it out. 8)
I love the look of the C3 I just wish they'd make it with a 125 or 150cc engine since I already have the perfect 50 :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

:oops: check date of post...got it okay:

Damnit Keys! now your getting a Vespa, after that sweet paintjob on the rat (blackbird) first Major now you, that means I have about 6 more months before I start thinking about trying to convince the lady we "need" another bigger scooter... :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
SteMer

Re: Vespa S (NBR)

Post by SteMer »

Keys wrote:...She's smooth, she's confident, she's refined and she's poised under all conditions. She's drop-dead gorgeous and when the time is right, she's as racy as most men can handle. And yes, she's expensive, but just like a fine woman, you know she will always be worth it...--Keys
I must also confess my lust for the S. Metro Scooter has the brilliant orange one too. It really didn't help hearing your description or how well it rides. Thanks a lot.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I love the white one, can you do the 190 kit that eric has on that? it would be pretty and plenty fast. my next scoot has to be vintage though. I want me a 2 stroke vespa 125 or up (don't really care which), a honda passport, and a nice sub500cc displacement honda MC, then I'm happy.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'm with you. The 150S in orange with the solo seat is a great looking scoot. (But would an orange Vespa go with a red Buddy? - I've been giving some thought about swapping my Vino for the S.)
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Doesn't Vespa currently have a $500 off deal on those?
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

When I saw my first orange S late last season it was love at first sight for me too. For looks, it's my favorite scoot among all models currently for sale.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

djelliott wrote:Doesn't Vespa currently have a $500 off deal on those?
Yup.

If I were choosing between an S and an LX now, I'd probably go for the S with the longer seat.

That said, they made some very nice changes for the 2010 LXs. Fender crest, chrome trimmed grips, chrome ring around the horncast. And they finally ditched the useless kickstarter!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

So many scooters, so little garage :lol:
EZPZ #65
Keys

Post by Keys »

nissanman wrote:So many scooters, so little garage :lol:
...ain't it the sad, sad thruth.

--Keys
louie

Re: Vespa S (NBR)

Post by louie »

Keys wrote:...
She's smooth, she's confident, she's refined and she's poised under all conditions. She's drop-dead gorgeous and when the time is right, she's as racy as most men can handle. And yes, she's expensive, but just like a fine woman, you know she will always be worth it.

...just my take. And yes, I'm trying to get financing...

--Keys
you're making me blush...

oh, you're talking about a scoot. a nice one at that.
Christy

Post by Christy »

i too, love the S...if only it werent so expensive...or if I had that $1mil jfrost was talking about. heh.
EPSP #76
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Disclaimer: The following link is just something I came across while browsing thru CL. I disavow any knowledge of the seller, or any circumstance surrounding it; I'm merely intrigued by this deal.

New 09 S-150: $3100, just outside Nashville, TN.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/1268715765.html

Question is: this, or a new Buddy? :?:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pyrocpu wrote:Disclaimer: The following link is just something I came across while browsing thru CL. I disavow any knowledge of the seller, or any circumstance surrounding it; I'm merely intrigued by this deal.

New 09 S-150: $3100, just outside Nashville, TN.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/1268715765.html

Question is: this, or a new Buddy? :?:
OTD on that Vespa S from a dealer would be $3700 + tax, prep, dealer fees, etc. Easily adds up to over $4K. It's not a bad deal.

Cost of ownership (maintenance, repairs, some parts) on the S will be higher than the Buddy, though. Accessories will cost a lot more. Annual registration will likely be more. It will cost more to insure because of higher replacement cost.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Be very careful, even buying from a dealer. I bought a new Vespa from a licensed Virginia dealer in 2006. Only problem was, their dealer's license lapsed before they processed my registration paperwork. I ended up with a $6200+ Vespa that I coiuld not title or ride. An agent of the State of Virginia attempted (via blackmail - "You'll never get your title unless you do what I say") to use me as a pawn in his attempt to destroy the dealership because they weren't sufficiently defferential to him when he first contacted them. It was the most insane experience of my life. This went on for more than a year and it permanantly soured me on Vespa & Piaggio.

Just be careful.

Sign Me,
Been There, Done That, Got Charbroiled to a Crackly Crunch - No kidding!
Last edited by jrsjr on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I adore the looks of the Vespa S as much as or more than any other scoot out there. But what spooked me was this model has a lot of Chinese lineage. One day they will hopefully make better scooters so it will mean nothing, but until then the quality will need to unfold. As person who just got a Vespa GTS, I kinda get the love now. :D
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

What model year did Vespa/Piaggio start sourcing their engines from China? 2008MY? And is it for ALL their powertrains? My assumption that applied only to 50cc & 150cc engines only, and 250cc (technically 244cc or whatever) and up were still of true Italian Vespa/Piaggio origin...

Local dealer here tried to say that hey, the Piaggio Fly 150 has the same quality as a Vespa LX150, same standards, etc., only that the Fly 150 is built in Asia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm Chinese; I love my people and all, but JFC, some of the crap that comes out of China, especially scooters... just disappointing.

Sorry. Sometimes red is not always red... not even in Red China!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Fly has been built in China since MY '08, I think. Some other Piaggio models are built there as well.

IIRC, some of the '09 LXs have Chinese built engines. I think all the '10 LEADER 150s (Fly, LX and S) will be built there.

So far, I haven't heard any complaints about the Chinese built Piaggio/Vespa stuff but you may want to ask some of the owners on MV. Of course, like everything else on the planet these days, even the current "Italian" Vespas contain components from other countries.

There's a bit of a pedigree and higher resale value (sometime in the future) for Italian Vespas. The PGO, LML and others built around the world back in the day aren't worth as much now. I don't know if this will have any meaning to future buyers considering that there may be no all-Italian Vespas in the future.
louie

Post by louie »

for what it's worth the engine on my 650 bmw was built in china. This is new for 09 so long term parts and workmanship quality is still to be determined. but so far so good. lots of people with 1000s of miles on them. it brought the price to the consumer down a little also. this may fly in the face of my "pay a working wage price for your goods" standard.
or maybe quality, no matter where it's from, comes at a price.