Scooter as main transportation.. please help!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Do you think I could live with just a scooter (150cc or more)?

Yes, it'll be great!
52%
No, dumbest decision ever...
1%
Eh, I'd still NEED a car!
47%

Total votes: 75

Scoot'n'Shoot

Scooter as main transportation.. please help!

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

So I've been wondering for a while now how many people out there drive a scooter as their main transportation, as in they don't have a car or they never use their car? I'm falling more and more in love with my pamplona the more i drive it, i mean gas is so much more affordable and maintenance is about 1/10th of what I would spend on my last few cars...

I just sold my beloved Saab 'vert, pain in the ass to fix and expensive as hell to maintain and bought myself the buddy 50 and laptop for college and some left over to pay down the loan i took out to buy the car. Sorry to write my life story but I'm trying to decide on getting another car soon or just maybe getting a faster scooter maybe a vespa 200 or a stella, maybe even a blackjack! I live in the city nearby my college and everything I really need and only would have to travel like 30mins tops to visit malls and friends that arent in the city. Also, would a 200cc Vespa be highway safe/legal and would a stella also go fast enough for the highway?

I would really love anybodys input on if it would be a huge huge huge mistake, if it's bearable or if it's a great choice. trying to be green too lol but I'd like to make an informed decision based on others experience too. Thanks for any replies and happy scootin!
holden

Post by holden »

a 200 would get on the highway.
In TN you need a 175 i think to get out there.

I would do it dude. Just think about winter, and if you have anywhere you might want to travel to, anything like hours away.
but getting around a campus, I wouldn't own a car if i had a scoot.

But yeah dude! there are year long riders here is Nashvile. There is rain gear you can get to stay dry and lap blankets designed to keep you warm, heated gear and everything!

Do it, Just get some racks and milk crates and a backpack. You can carry so much!

Do it man!
Last edited by holden on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

holden wrote:a 200 would get on the highway.

I would do it dude. Just think about winter, and if you have anywhere you might want to travel to, anything like hours away.
I'll need to check VA state law and see what highway laws they have on scoots but thanks for your input, i suppose if I needed to drive anywhere further than an hour I could rent a car, if I can find a car rental place that rents to people under 25 but over 20 lol
holden

Post by holden »

do you know that with the genuine roadside assistance you get discounts on rental cars ;) convenient huh?
holden

Post by holden »

Scoot'n'Shoot wrote:
holden wrote:a 200 would get on the highway.

I'll need to check VA state law and see what highway laws they have on scoots but thanks for your input, i suppose if I needed to drive anywhere further than an hour I could rent a car, if I can find a car rental place that rents to people under 25 but over 20 lol
Well, the law won't talk about scooters. I'm quite sure it talks about engine size, when the size crosses a certain mark, it becomes an MC.

And with that, you'll probably have to get a MC license endorsement. Thats why i got the 125, it is just under motorcycle size by TN Law.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

holden wrote:do you know that with the genuine roadside assistance you get discounts on rental cars ;) convenient huh?
oooh how handy! that's def a plus!
rvajma

Post by rvajma »

I live in Richmond as well, and purchased a Blackjack back in March. I drive about 25K a year for work(sales), and since getting my scoot, I drive my cage about 3 to 4 times per month. I have taken it on the downtown expressway, 64 between Staples Mill and Short Pump as well as the normal surface streets. I am thinking of selling my car and getting one of the great lease deals out there to save a few hundred a month on vehicle costs. The winters are mild enough here that you should be able to ride year round with the proper attire.
cmac

Post by cmac »

I think it honestly depends on your area and what you need to do. Down here in Florida, everywhere is spread out, major roads being the majority, and I don't think a buddy would be good for it. Think about when it rains too. That is major. If anything, just get a cheap old, used car for the rainy days/interstate/things you got to do that you would need a car for. That is what I plan on doing when I get my scoot.
robby

Post by robby »

I don't deny loving the ride, but my primary reason for getting a scooter was its utility. Free parking, easier to drive around -- well you know the perks, I won't list them. My goal is to give up my car completely.

I've had my scooter for about one month now, and I haven't driven my Jeep since. Now admittedly I live in an urban area, so it's pretty easy to keep my errands local. But when I've had to drive 30 miles, I've done it on my scoot, rain or shine. I expect to ride in the winter here when there's no ice on the roads.

The scoot won't do for my long ski or camping trips, but for those two or three times a year, it would probably be cheaper for me to just rent a car than to pay insurance and vehicle costs year round. I plan on taking my Jeep off the road in a couple of months once I have more experience to go on.

Of course, this is probably less of a risk to me than most. I have a live-in girlfriend with a vehicle, and Boston has ZipCar, which is always an easy option if I find a need. But so far I haven't needed to take advantage of either of those things. :)

If what you're after is convenience, my experience suggests a scooter suits you perfectly (provided you don't need to transport lots of stuff or make long trips). If you're really thinking about the scooter over the car for eco reasons, be sure you go 4-stroke.
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

Since I bought my scooters last year, I have put around 5000 miles on them and only about 4000 on my car(july to july). I scoot mostly for utility and also use my bicycle to commute. But I keep the car because it snows in the midwest, sometimes I have to travel long distances by car for my job, I have two large dogs who need to go to the vet, sometimes my partner and I like to ride in the same vehicle and she does not have her mc license yet, etc. Also, although I know others do it without any problems, I am not that comfortable hauling large or oddly shaped items on the scooter and my station wagon is paid for. I think if your lifestayle allows it, just having a scoot instead of a car is great.
Last edited by farrellcollie on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

[quote="holdenThats why i got the 125, it is just under motorcycle size by TN Law.[/quote]

Holden anything over 50cc requires a license in TN. They have a Motor Driven Cycle(Scooter) Class M-Limited for machines between 51cc and 125cc. I think it's the same test, might as well get the regular Class M.

http://tn.gov/safety/driverlicense/classm.htm

Don
MB #2349
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I'm 99.9% scooter only, and have been for about 1.5 years now. I've put 20k on my Buddy and ride it rain or shine year round. And I love every minute of it.

With a little forethought I can haul nearly anything on it, I've moved PC's and routers on it. I go shopping for my family on it.

I commute 50 miles a day on it(or more if the weather is nice and I can take the long way to work :P )

Its totally doable.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I've changed my ways reciently, I scoot 90% of the time, now thst weather has gotten warm, I did do a lot of scootin last winter but that was recrerational only. Here in south central Pa. going car-less wowuld be impossible, no public transportation to speak of and I live in the 'boonies' I'd love to give it a try but since I can't I'll just 'fake it' I haven't driven in 3 months!
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

I still need a car newengland winter and all also we dont have much of a public transport system here
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

If I understand correctly, you're in a dorm at VCU? If that's the case, yeah, you'll be fine with just a scooter. Lots of folks have done VCU and not had a vehicle at all. And honestly, living in the fan, you're better off without a car. I used to go for months without even looking at my car (except to move it for street cleaning) when I lived in the fan.

Just make sure you have a really good lock.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I can't because I have 2 kids and the winters here in Ohio, with a complete lack of any reasonable public transportation, and the fact that I have to be at work every day... Nope, not for me... :cry:

-v
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

If you had these in town you would be set, but I checked, none in Richmond.

http://www.zipcar.com/
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

In the past 2 years of scootering, I'm about 80% scooter 19% truck 1% bicycle.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

holden wrote:do you know that with the genuine roadside assistance you get discounts on rental cars ;) convenient huh?
Hey I don't want to thread hijack but do you have more info on this?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Vic wrote:I can't because I have 2 kids and the winters here in Ohio, with a complete lack of any reasonable public transportation, and the fact that I have to be at work every day... Nope, not for me... :cry:

-v
I understand the kid part. The only time I drive these days is if I'm taking my two year-old with me. He's not quite scooter safe yet.

I don't really understand the public transportation argument thats popped up a few times already on this thread. Portland has a fantastic public transit system. I've never used it. The Buddy gets me where I want to go 100% of the time.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Having a scoot as your only vehicle can be done, but you have to accept some sacrifices and limitations.

You have to plan every time you need to carry something large. Or you buy your friend lunch whenever you need a ride for that sort of thing (which, if you plan well enough, shouldn't be very often), or take the bus. If the weather is nasty, again plan. And get the people around you to accept the fact that on rare occasions, you will either show up somewhere very early, or decide that your life is not worth risking to get there. Most people understand, and the people who don't usually aren't the kinda folks you wanna hang around anyway. Do make sure you've got a couple good friends in the area who are willing to pick you up should you have an emergency you can't deal with on the scooter.

Accessories are your friends. A topcase of some sort is invaluable, and stick all the racks on your scoot that you possibly can. Trust me, you will use them. Never be without a handful of bungees. Let your local scooter shop(s) know that you've only got your scooter, and they will go out of their way to help you. They know darn well you're going to be a good customer, because you can't be without your bike.

Make sure you have comfortable gear for any weather situation. If you're going to ride so often, you will definately want to be comfortable. I rarely find myself with less than 2 helmets to choose from in the closet. Also, don't bother having a complex hair style. Your helmet will just kill it, so save yourself the trouble.

I have never owned a car, and only learned one for about 3 hours worth of time to get my license. I have had only scooters since I was 20. It is doable. It's a fun and interesting lifestyle full of problem solving.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Witch wrote:Having a scoot as your only vehicle can be done, but you have to accept some sacrifices and limitations.

You have to plan every time you need to carry something large. Or you buy your friend lunch whenever you need a ride for that sort of thing (which, if you plan well enough, shouldn't be very often), or take the bus. If the weather is nasty, again plan. And get the people around you to accept the fact that on rare occasions, you will either show up somewhere very early, or decide that your life is not worth risking to get there. Most people understand, and the people who don't usually aren't the kinda folks you wanna hang around anyway. Do make sure you've got a couple good friends in the area who are willing to pick you up should you have an emergency you can't deal with on the scooter.

Accessories are your friends. A topcase of some sort is invaluable, and stick all the racks on your scoot that you possibly can. Trust me, you will use them. Never be without a handful of bungees. Let your local scooter shop(s) know that you've only got your scooter, and they will go out of their way to help you. They know darn well you're going to be a good customer, because you can't be without your bike.

Make sure you have comfortable gear for any weather situation. If you're going to ride so often, you will definately want to be comfortable. I rarely find myself with less than 2 helmets to choose from in the closet. Also, don't bother having a complex hair style. Your helmet will just kill it, so save yourself the trouble.

I have never owned a car, and only learned one for about 3 hours worth of time to get my license. I have had only scooters since I was 20. It is doable. It's a fun and interesting lifestyle full of problem solving.

:+!: on the bungies and gear. These two things alone are what makes this doable. I ALWAYS have bungies and a cargo net in my pet carrier.

I ALWAYS check the weather before leaving, and I've got gear for any weather situation I could possibly face. Yeah, its some investment to own all that gear, but the gear is cheaper than a car :)
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

the registration on my car expired in february. for about a month, i borrowed cars/got rides. then in march i got back on my scooter. my car has sat untouched since, and i live in connecticut. as you may know, the weather this summer has been ridiculous in new england...pouring rain, nearly daily. but i just don't want to pay to get my car back on the road.

granted, i am moving to portland in about a month, so that is another reason i haven't bothered with my car. i will not be bringing it with me, and i will be ALL scooter/bicycle/bus in portland. happily.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

betsy q. bramble wrote:the registration on my car expired in february. for about a month, i borrowed cars/got rides. then in march i got back on my scooter. my car has sat untouched since, and i live in connecticut. as you may know, the weather this summer has been ridiculous in new england...pouring rain, nearly daily. but i just don't want to pay to get my car back on the road.

granted, i am moving to portland in about a month, so that is another reason i haven't bothered with my car. i will not be bringing it with me, and i will be ALL scooter/bicycle/bus in portland. happily.
MY Portland? (I know you visited a while back) Let me know when you get settled, we've got a good group of riders that you're welcome to ride with :)
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

Kaos wrote:
betsy q. bramble wrote:the registration on my car expired in february. for about a month, i borrowed cars/got rides. then in march i got back on my scooter. my car has sat untouched since, and i live in connecticut. as you may know, the weather this summer has been ridiculous in new england...pouring rain, nearly daily. but i just don't want to pay to get my car back on the road.

MY Portland? (I know you visited a while back) Let me know when you get settled, we've got a good group of riders that you're welcome to ride with :)
Yes, YOUR Portland :)
You have a PM
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I'm scooter only since getting my scooter in March. In that time I've put on 5.5k miles. The maintenance on scoots need to be done a little sooner than cars and you don't have a jiffy lube for $19 to change the oil. So I'd suggest getting mechanically savvy for the general maintenance. Also, tires are only good for 5k-6k (about 1/10 the life of the average car tire) and again not as cheap as you'd think. Expect $150-200 in parts in labor.

Now, my commute is only 14miles round trip per day. I'm using my scooter for fun A LOT. Usually a couple hundred miles a weekend. If you're just commutin' scootin' I bet that'd slow down the wear and tear.

I live in So Cal so year round won't be much of a challenge. I also was a bicycle commuter for 6 years so I'm pretty dang use to getting around on 2 wheels and know the limitations. The scooter gets you further, faster than a bike though :) and hauling stuff doesn't make you sweat like it does on a bicycle :D

I can't wait to get a bigger scooter. I'd like to be able to scoot the freeways and I simply wouldn't do that where I live on 10" tires and with less than 250cc
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Ya. What she said.

I've been scooter only since last November. Bicycle only for a year before that. But I am in SoCal so other than the occasional very heavy rain day, scooting is a 365 day thing.

I won't repeat all the valid things others have already mentioned but what I do for the days when I simply must have a car, is rent one. The $40 I spend for each of those very few days is by far cheaper than owning a car. If I rent using my credit card the insurance is taken care of, and if you rent one for an entire week the price per day is even cheaper.

For those few times a year, this is a much less expensive alternative to owning.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Ya. What she said.

I've been scooter only since last November. Bicycle only for a year before that. But I am in SoCal so other than the occasional very heavy rain day, scooting is a 365 day thing.

I won't repeat all the valid things others have already mentioned but what I do for the days when I simply must have a car, is rent one. The $40 I spend for each of those very few days is by far cheaper than owning a car. If I rent using my credit card the insurance is taken care of, and if you rent one for an entire week the price per day is even cheaper.

For those few times a year, this is a much less expensive alternative to owning.
Ah yes. a true city dweller. That was my play in Chicago!! In Chicago they also have a share-a-car program http://www.igocars.org
Last edited by jijifer on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

rvajma wrote:I live in Richmond as well, and purchased a Blackjack back in March. I drive about 25K a year for work(sales), and since getting my scoot, I drive my cage about 3 to 4 times per month. I have taken it on the downtown expressway, 64 between Staples Mill and Short Pump as well as the normal surface streets. I am thinking of selling my car and getting one of the great lease deals out there to save a few hundred a month on vehicle costs. The winters are mild enough here that you should be able to ride year round with the proper attire.
Oh great so it's completely doable driving a blackjack or stella to short pump from downtown taking 64? the only roads i would need on would be 95 and 64 for only a few miles at a time!
robby wrote:..I have a live-in girlfriend with a vehicle, and Boston has ZipCar, which is always an easy option if I find a need. But so far I haven't needed to take advantage of either of those things. :)
I'm right there with you I have a live-in with a car too which is nice so when we go out together it saves my gas :-)
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

Lostmycage wrote:If I understand correctly, you're in a dorm at VCU? If that's the case, yeah, you'll be fine with just a scooter. Lots of folks have done VCU and not had a vehicle at all. And honestly, living in the fan, you're better off without a car. I used to go for months without even looking at my car (except to move it for street cleaning) when I lived in the fan.

I live a little further down from VCU on tobacco row near bottoms up pizza. Helps to avoid the students running around the streets and traffic/lack of parking during concerts and events at the carpenter center. But so far I think it would be doable with only a scooter 150cc's+.. Do you think a blackjack or stella could cut it going on powhite towards stony point and also on 64 towards short pump?
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

jijifer wrote:I'm scooter only since getting my scooter in March. In that time I've put on 5.5k miles. The maintenance on scoots need to be done a little sooner than cars and you don't have a jiffy lube for $19 to change the oil. So I'd suggest getting mechanically savvy for the general maintenance. Also, tires are only good for 5k-6k (about 1/10 the life of the average car tire) and again not as cheap as you'd think. Expect $150-200 in parts in labor.

Now, my commute is only 14miles round trip per day. I'm using my scooter for fun A LOT. Usually a couple hundred miles a weekend. If you're just commutin' scootin' I bet that'd slow down the wear and tear.

I live in So Cal so year round won't be much of a challenge. I also was a bicycle commuter for 6 years so I'm pretty dang use to getting around on 2 wheels and know the limitations. The scooter gets you further, faster than a bike though :) and hauling stuff doesn't make you sweat like it does on a bicycle :D

I can't wait to get a bigger scooter. I'd like to be able to scoot the freeways and I simply wouldn't do that where I live on 10" tires and with less than 250cc
Wow thats alotta scootin' lol so the tire thing sounds like it will be the most expensive regular maintenance? Oil changes i could teach myself to do to save some money, much better than the $60 synthetic oil changes on my Saab. That got real expensive real fast.

I have a prima roll bag to use as storage so far but I'm verrrry interested in the Stella which I read has no underseat storage, bummer.. Will have to get a front rack i suppose!

By reading the posts here it sounds like AMOST everybody is for driving a scoot only if you live in the right place but when I look at the poll its like 50/50 lol
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Scoot'n'Shoot wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:If I understand correctly, you're in a dorm at VCU? If that's the case, yeah, you'll be fine with just a scooter. Lots of folks have done VCU and not had a vehicle at all. And honestly, living in the fan, you're better off without a car. I used to go for months without even looking at my car (except to move it for street cleaning) when I lived in the fan.

I live a little further down from VCU on tobacco row near bottoms up pizza. Helps to avoid the students running around the streets and traffic/lack of parking during concerts and events at the carpenter center. But so far I think it would be doable with only a scooter 150cc's+.. Do you think a blackjack or stella could cut it going on powhite towards stony point and also on 64 towards short pump?
Powhite, sure. 64 I won't touch. There's way too many potholes at the interchange and the average car like to do about 75mph (real, not Buddy mph). A lot of it will depend on what you're comfortable with as far as speed and weather. Huguenot is a much more scenic and scooter friendly route to Stony Point. Broad, Monument or even Staples Mill with a side-street or two will avoid 64.

If you're OK with staying off the interstates, get a scooter. If you plan to use them frequently, get/keep a car or get a larger bike. It's a matter of having the right tool for the job.

The weather isn't bad. Winter's are bearable. Living in the Bottom, you've actually got access to the bus routes which can get you to campus. Hell, you could even walk if it came down to it (I miss walking everywhere).

I think your current situation is a good candidate for scooter only, but make sure that you have contingency plans (like for grocery shopping) or if there's any larger items you need to get to your apartment. You're going to want to get some really good cold weather gear in the winter time. 55mph at 19degrees can really suck, even with good gear.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

In addition to the above call the local dealer on the oil change cost, you'd be surprised. However it can be done by anyone and a scooter shop here in Nashville actually has a video tutorial. Check it out at www.eastsidescooters.com, it think it's under the fun section.
MB #2349
narcoleptic

Post by narcoleptic »

I just got my scooter the other night and will be using it for my work commute and for fun. Being that my wife and I have a four year old, we do require a car plus the car helps for grocery shopping for three people and home depot trips. That being said, if I was living exactly where I am now and was childless, I would definitely be able to use it year round as my primary vehicle. I find as long as you have access to decent public transit you should be able to pull it off so that you have a back-up plan in case of weather you don't want to ride in or if your scoot is in the shop.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would do it, you live in a pretty mild climate. I bet Richmond has some kind of car renting service like the zip car someone posted. If not, you could rent a car once a month or something to get heavy errands done. We are 2 working adults with one car ( 3 scooters :twisted: ) and horrid winters and we get by (car pool, lots of walking , public transportation during ice and snow). If my job did not require I drive, we would not have a car at all.
Free yourself of the burden. We are so brainwashed to believe everyone needs a car. most don't. Just BS.
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

peabody99 wrote:I would do it, you live in a pretty mild climate. I bet Richmond has some kind of car renting service like the zip car someone posted. If not, you could rent a car once a month or something to get heavy errands done. We are 2 working adults with one car ( 3 scooters :twisted: ) and horrid winters and we get by (car pool, lots of walking , public transportation during ice and snow). If my job did not require I drive, we would not have a car at all.
Free yourself of the burden. We are so brainwashed to believe everyone needs a car. most don't. Just BS.
+1
I love how you're so convincing ha, looks like my minds made up and it will be pretty easy to do! Now to take the 3 days motorcycle course and look for a used stella or restored vespa! :D
Lookin' To Scoot

Post by Lookin' To Scoot »

Personally, I couldn't do it. But at the end of the day, it's you, not us that has to accept the rain and limitations of a scooter. If you are comfortable with the sacrifices inherent in not having a car, why not give it a shot. Since you've already sold your car, see how it goes for now with your 50. You can always buy a car at a later date. I'll bet in a month or 2 (before the weather takes a turn) you'll have your answer.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

Too often I find that I need to get something that's just too big for my scoot. Plus, just having a scoot would mean I could no longer help out friends or family if they need a ride (doctor, airport, etc.) I luv my scoots but I luv my Jetta too. There are times when a car is just neccessary.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I'm the lone no vote.

I never ever drive my car. All weather, all places up to 100 miles away. I only draw the line at ice and snow. Which we don't really get in AL.

Except...

Except for 1 month when my stator went bad at 3K miles, waiting for a part, Now at 7K miles, 2 months the bike was marginal and 1 month straight that it has been in the shop- trying to figure out what was wrong with it, waiting for parts, trying various fixes, and now, hopefully when the next part comes in (waiting) this will be it.

I hate to say it, but if something goes bad, even under warranty, you'll be waiting on the parts. Your repair won't be in and out that day. You will have no transportation.

I love my Buddy, but I have not been riding since June. The great majority of buddy owners have absolutely no problems.

I am not one of those owners.

Maybe vic's gremlin bell do me some good.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Kaos wrote: I don't really understand the public transportation argument thats popped up a few times already on this thread. Portland has a fantastic public transit system. I've never used it. The Buddy gets me where I want to go 100% of the time.
I reference public transportation because it is an option for some when scooting is not possible.

Here in central Ohio we have snowy winters (nothing like further north, but enough that January and February are pretty rough, and December and March can be dicey at times).

Columbus has a bus system and when they are under a Level 1 or 2 snow emergency rides on the bus are free. But, I don't live in Columbus, so I am SOL.

My work requires that I go to work unless my county or their county is under a Level 3.

Level 1 means the roads are bad, be careful.
Level 2 means they recommend against travel.
Level 3 means the roads are closed and you may be arrested for being out on the roads.

We also have at least one ice storm every winter. I love to look at them but HATE, and I mean totally loathe driving in or after them and chipping out after one... Well, we won't go there. :P

These are times that public transportation could take the place of a car, if it were available, and reduce the dependence on a personal car or truck.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. :D

-v

Edited to add, my commute is about 45 miles a day, this takes about 35 minutes, each direction, on a good day.
Alex P

Post by Alex P »

Lostmycage wrote:
Scoot'n'Shoot wrote:

Powhite, sure. 64 I won't touch. There's way too many potholes at the interchange and the average car like to do about 75mph (real, not Buddy mph). A lot of it will depend on what you're comfortable with as far as speed and weather. Huguenot is a much more scenic and scooter friendly route to Stony Point. Broad, Monument or even Staples Mill with a side-street or two will avoid 64.

If you're OK with staying off the interstates, get a scooter. If you plan to use them frequently, get/keep a car or get a larger bike. It's a matter of having the right tool for the job.

The weather isn't bad. Winter's are bearable. Living in the Bottom, you've actually got access to the bus routes which can get you to campus. Hell, you could even walk if it came down to it (I miss walking everywhere).

I think your current situation is a good candidate for scooter only, but make sure that you have contingency plans (like for grocery shopping) or if there's any larger items you need to get to your apartment. You're going to want to get some really good cold weather gear in the winter time. 55mph at 19degrees can really suck, even with good gear.
I was scooter only in Richmond from April of '08 to January of '09. Unfortunately, I had to move way out on Staples Mill, and getting a car was just a good idea. The suggestions about investing in the gear are no joke. Don't forget that in Richmond, it may not snow very much during the winter, but it does rain. Take it from experience, rain in the 39 degree weather, on a scooter, sucks something awful if you don't have the right gear. There are cheaper ways to get gear that works as well. I picked up a pair of insulated cover all's last year at Southern States. A good jacket (with a layer or two underneath) and good insulated gloves (waterproof) did the trick. I also picked up some cheap rain gear that is actually marketed to golfers, but it works. I originally bought a 3/4 helmet figuring I'd wrap a scarf or something around my face in the cold. In the cold and wet, it didn't work. I ended up buying a full face modular helmet, which is much better in cold and wet.

Also, spend the extra money on a good lock if your going to be living downtown. There's been a rash of theft this summer, and I bet this isn't the last summer it will happen. Scoot Richmond sells the On Guard locks, and the disc brake lock/alarms, they're worth it. Talk to the folks there about how to get the best use out of your lock and alarm, they seriously do want you to be happy with your bike. If you can spare the twenty bucks a month (which you'll save in gas), I'd heavily suggest insuring it as well.

The last thing is that if you don't have health insurance, get on the student plan ASAP. The more hours you spend on a bike, the higher the likelihood of a wreck of some kind. Considering Richmond drivers (especially if you're going to buy something you can take on 64), you don't want to get caught out there without health insurance.

And, you can find ways to get all over Richmond that don't require the highway. I would be a little weary of taking a Buddy 150 on 64 or 95. The Vespa, maybe, but I'm not sure what the top speed is for one of those. If you're really looking for highway safety, you might want to look at a SYM HD 250, the Kymco People 250 or the Citycom 300i, all great bikes for both around town and highway from what I've been able to research on them. One of the things I've fallen in love with on my scoot is finding alternative routes around town. Now, I'm only on a 50cc bike, so I have to, but it is great fun to see parts of town I wouldn't otherwise, and take some country roads sometimes. Good luck!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

My scooter is my main transportation, but not my only...I still have my car. I try to be as environmentally-conscious as possible, so I sat down and really looked at why I use my car and when, and what could be gotten around and what couldn't.
I was really surprised at how many things can be delivered for only a small fee: appliances and the like for example. It never hurts to ask. ;) Other things can be worked around with minor changes in habits: instead of weekly/monthly "load 'em up" grocery trips, I pick up what I need for a couple days on the way home from running other errands.

Myself, the two things that I couldn't get around needing a car for was taking my 80-pound rottie to the vet and my pottery. I haven't asked, but I think my insurance would laugh me out the door if I were to see if their vehicular transport coverage applied to carrying finished work on the scooter or a motorcycle. Also, I plan on doing craft festivals: that's the killer. There's no way to haul a booth setup on a scooter. As it is, I might end up having to invest in a roof rack and possibly a trailer hitch.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

a scoot as a primary?,
there are some, not many,
but if you decide to go all the way,
it wont be great riding on certain days,
depending if it rains or snows,
nobody knows,
if your a hardcore rider till the end,
you are going to spend,
on gear for bad weather,
like good quality leather,
gas will be cheap,
even when prices are steep,
there arent a lot of things you can carry,
if your scoot is your primary

-gearhead poet
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

I'm very tempted in selling my car & sign up for a car sharing program (shopping, whatever). I have a bus pass from work. For long distance travel, use a rental car. With AAA, I can get decent deals.
Sombre-clair

Post by Sombre-clair »

I vote scoot and car, while i mainly scoot around, I do need my car for groceries (we are costco people) and I take my laundry to a laundromat, both would be hard with just a scoot for me :)
holden

Post by holden »

dsmith65 wrote:[quote="holdenThats why i got the 125, it is just under motorcycle size by TN Law.
Holden anything over 50cc requires a license in TN. They have a Motor Driven Cycle(Scooter) Class M-Limited for machines between 51cc and 125cc. I think it's the same test, might as well get the regular Class M.

http://tn.gov/safety/driverlicense/classm.htm

Don[/quote]
Hmm, Really?
I went to register mine today and did it for 25 dollars. ($25.75)
My dealer told me that I did NOT need a MC license (at) under 125 and that I DID need to get a plate and Insurance for it.

Sorry to be off topic with the thread but yeah, I work in Franklin man!
:)
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

It snows here. I still need a car, but not that much.

I suppose I could switch to just a scooter with a sidecar. That might work.

For long (overnight) trips I can always rent a car.
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
rajron

Post by rajron »

If you can; have a car and a scooter:
Rain
Snow
Cold
Big things
Breakable things
Date
Security
Etc.
standup

Post by standup »

My wife and vaguely discussed going to 1 car 1 scooter. I ride, she doesn't. But her office is walking distance, so her car sits there. And I scoot more days than not in the summer/sprint/fall, so my Honda Element sits there.

Some days, though, we both take our cars for various reasons.

Might happen. Zipcar is supposedly going to have more cars available in our city sometime... soon?
Scoot'n'Shoot

Post by Scoot'n'Shoot »

Looks like I finally have it all figured out! For me I think it will be a good decision and money saver going scoot only. My roomie has an SUV if I need to haul anything large and also my mom and bros only live like 15 minutes away incase of an emergency and all. My dad also has an SUV sitting up in michigan that doesnt get used anymore so will hopefully be bringing it down here for me the end of august so guess I might not be scooter only. I jsut don't want to have a car payment anymore.

So will be riding a scooter 98% of the time here! Plus public transport is right around the corner! I never woulda thought 2 months ago I would ever own a scooter let alone selling my car and driving one all the time. Can't wait to see all the scenic routes around here :-)