flat tire

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

carol

flat tire

Post by carol »

how much have people paid to get a tire changed????
took my scoot in today...with a new tire and just wanted them
to change it..surprised when i picked it up and it was $50.001
seems like an awful lot to just change the tire...thoughts???
CARE
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Considering a scooter tire cost 40-50 dollars itself, they must not have charged much at all to install it. That's a cheap deal!

I have also never seen anyone charge a tenth of a penny either.
Last edited by jfrost2 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Which tire? The rear takes more time. The front is no big deal to get on and off.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

jfrost2 wrote:Considering a scooter tire cost 40-50 dollars itself, they must not have charged much at all to install it. That's a cheap deal!
I think Carol brought the tire in with her and they charged 50 to mount the tire.
Last edited by gr8dog on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carol

Post by carol »

no, no , no...i took the new tire to them ...all they had to do was change it.
CARE
Syd

Post by Syd »

jfrost2 wrote:Considering a scooter tire cost 40-50 dollars itself, they must not have charged much at all to install it. That's a cheap deal!

I have also never seen anyone charge a tenth of a penny either.
I think the carol mentioned that (s)he brought the tire in with the scoot, so no tire purchase.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

gr8dog wrote:
I thinbk Carol brought the tire in with her and they charged 50 to mount the tire.
Ah, thought maybe she went in and the total cost was for labor and the tire. You make a good point though, I dont see it taking 50 dollars worth of labor though to install a tire, front or back. The back is more difficult just because of the muffler needing to be removed. But say if they charge a standard flat labor rate, and it takes 45 minutes to unmount the muffler, unmount the tire, change it, remount tire, remount muffler, it could end up costing 50 dollars for labor.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

$50 seems a pretty steep labor charge to me. Have you tried calling around to other shops to see what they would have charged?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'm guessing they charged regular shop rates.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
carol

Post by carol »

good idea, i will make some calls tomorrow just to compare for the NEXT time :-)...by the way, it was the rear tire.
CARE
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

carol wrote:good idea, i will make some calls tomorrow just to compare for the NEXT time :-)...by the way, it was the rear tire.
How long did it take for them to install the rear tire? How much was their hourly labor also?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That's a pretty standard rate for motorcycle/scooter tire mounting.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

That's a reasonable shop rate actually.
Rbuddy

Post by Rbuddy »

Just had to deal with the same situation. I ordered my tires ($63 for a pair of Michelin S83's with shipping) and called my dealer. They wanted 40 dollars a wheel to mount them (including labor). Unfortunately they are a hour away and at the time (and even now) I could not afford that. I called some shops in the area (motorcycle, no scooter shops in the area) and found a shop that would do it for 20 bucks if I brought the wheel in. I removed my rear wheel this morning. It was not difficult at all. There is a thread on here somewhere that has pictures that really helped. Local Yamaha shop thought they could get me out the door with one tire for a hundred bucks and made it sound like they where giving me a deal!! Shop around.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Rear tire 50 bucks if they balanced it is a fair price,,, most do not balance though,,, I would ask them next time you talk with them if they did... Pipe has to be removed and it takes about 5mins to do that and 15 mins to do the tire then another 10 mins reinstalling the tire and checking a few other things about 45mins for someone setup to do... the shop i bought my Rattler from charges $75 an hour... I walked into a shop about 2 years ago with tires in hand to have them balance i was charged $15 a tire...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Rbuddy wrote:Just had to deal with the same situation. I ordered my tires ($63 for a pair of Michelin S83's with shipping) and called my dealer. They wanted 40 dollars a wheel to mount them (including labor). Unfortunately they are a hour away and at the time (and even now) I could not afford that. I called some shops in the area (motorcycle, no scooter shops in the area) and found a shop that would do it for 20 bucks if I brought the wheel in. I removed my rear wheel this morning. It was not difficult at all. There is a thread on here somewhere that has pictures that really helped. Local Yamaha shop thought they could get me out the door with one tire for a hundred bucks and made it sound like they where giving me a deal!! Shop around.
Yes, but that is completely different. You removed the wheel. ALL motorcycle shops charge less if you take it off the bike and bring it in.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I just had my back tire replaced, my shop charges a flat fee of $40.

They take it to a place to have the actual mounting of the tire on the rim done, the shop mechanic removes the tire from the bike and then mounts it once the new tire is in place and finishes inflating the tire to specs.

-v