Replaced battery ..... now what?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddy_wannabe

Replaced battery ..... now what?

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Ok I have posted some of this before but some new twists have been added. :(

My battery has been going out so I have been having to kick start Bud for a week or so. I thought I would put up with this and just wait till next year to get a new one. Then the other night when I was running to the store the head light seemed kind of dim. When I went to turn on the blinker I got nothing. When I got to the store I checked out the blinkers / horn / and brake light and I had nothing so I decided it was time to get a new battery THIS year. I put the new battery in last night. I picked up the same number battery (4L-BS) , charged it up with my 1.5A charger as instructed in the battery book. I put it in hit the starter annnnnd got nothing :x I kick started and it started fine. The head light was brighter with the new battery .The brake light and horn worked. The blinkers still did not work. Checked the connections. They were good. Checked the fuse by the battery and it was blown. I thought I saw a small flash when I hooked up battery. What would cause that?
I fiddled around with some of the wires under the "hood"checking the connections and every thing looked good. Tried it again ....nothing. While trying all this I kick started it a few times and one of the times the head light didnt come on at all or maybe it was just a slight glow.

Any thoughts? What does the 8A 250V fuse by the battery do?

Here is a real kicker. I said the heck with it I am going to end up taking it in. When I looked at the title , I bought the scooter 8/6/07 TODAY was the end of the warrenty :cry: I thought I got it in the middle of the month. :shock: This was at 6:00 PM . I quick called the dealer and got a recording They closed at 5:30 :( I left a message on the machine. Maybe they will cut me some slack.
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
Lil Buddy

Re: Replaced battery ..... now what?

Post by Lil Buddy »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:What does the 8A 250V fuse by the battery do?
It protects your electrical system. That blown fuse is why your blinkers, horn, electric start and maybe even instrument panel don't work. A weak battery can casue havok on other lights..... such as the head and tail lights. Thats why your headlight is brighter now with the new battery. But until you replace the fuse, the other problems will continue.

The small flash you saw when you hooked up the new battery is normal.

If you can, return that battery and get an 8 amp hour battery (or higher if you can make it fit in there). The stock battery in the 50's are worthless. You will probably have to break the tabs off the underside of the battry cover so a larger one will fit, but its worth it.