Another Cool MC Encounter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

squash1978

Another Cool MC Encounter

Post by squash1978 »

A couple months back I wrote a post about a neat encounter I had with a motorcyclist who pulled up next to me on the street and was admiring my buddy (topic11444.html). Well a couple weeks ago I had another cool encounter that I thought was worthy of posting. Interestingly enough, this one happened on the same stretch of road as the last one.

So I was riding home from work and similar to my last encounter I noticed a motorcycle coming up from behind. I shifted over to the left side to give to motorcyclist the option to ride staggered on the right and sure enough he did! We rode for about 1/2 a mile before we approached some traffic. As we started to slow down I noticed there a guy ahead of us on a sport bike in the other lane. When he saw us coming up behind him he shifted over to our lane, which really surprised me b/c he did not appear to be the kind of guy who would be socializing with a scooter. When we stopped before the light I turned, looked at the motorcyclist behind me, gave him and nod, and nodded back. Once the light turned, we all fanned out in different directions. The sport bike went left, I went straight ahead, and the motorcyclist went right (giving me a beep as he took off).

It was pretty cool, I seemingly formed an impromptu biker gang for about a mile :P I know some people have had mixed encounters with motorcyclists but I have to say the friendliest reactions I've gotten from other 2-wheeled riders have been from motorcyclists!
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

That's awesome! I had a similar encounter today. I was stopped at Howard & 5th in San Francisco when I see a very worn looking Honda Elite slowly pull up next to me. Guy says "Nice bike!". I said "Thanks!" and then the light turned green and he went straight after a couple blocks where I had to turn.

I felt bad because I couldn't honestly return the compliment! :twisted:
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Nice story! Thanks for posting! That's the way it's supposed to be.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Thats kinda funny. I've had many encounters like this, but today was the oposite. I saw a street bike coming up on me fast in morning traffic on my way to work. I took the left side of the lane and he lane split me close and fast. I then sped up to catch him, though not really for any reason.
This seemed to upset him, and he began to accelerate and change lanes often to stay ahead of me. After me keeping up for a bit he began to lanesplit cars to get away from me!

You think this would be the end of it, but later in the day I had taken a long lunch break to run down to my dealer and was on highway 26 going back to the office(A interstate-esque 3 lane divided highway) when I see the SAME street bike in the center lane. I hopped into the fast lane and BLEW past him, well he jumps over as well gets right up next to me and screams over the wind "F*** you scooter boy!" and tears off.

Meh, I don't understand some people :roll:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

That's showin him Kaos! Harley Schmarley! Right on Scooter Boy! :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

Kaos wrote:Thats kinda funny. I've had many encounters like this, but today was the oposite. I saw a street bike coming up on me fast in morning traffic on my way to work. I took the left side of the lane and he lane split me close and fast. I then sped up to catch him, though not really for any reason.
This seemed to upset him, and he began to accelerate and change lanes often to stay ahead of me. After me keeping up for a bit he began to lanesplit cars to get away from me!

You think this would be the end of it, but later in the day I had taken a long lunch break to run down to my dealer and was on highway 26 going back to the office(A interstate-esque 3 lane divided highway) when I see the SAME street bike in the center lane. I hopped into the fast lane and BLEW past him, well he jumps over as well gets right up next to me and screams over the wind "F*** you scooter boy!" and tears off.

I can hear him now: "I'll be dammmed if that two-stroke-smokin', non-gear-matchin', uh, er, scooter-rider passes me!"
Last edited by Syd on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

Kaos wrote:Meh, I don't understand some people :roll:
I'm guessing somebody once made fun of his little boy parts. :)
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Not all people on two wheels have the IQ to be respectful of others. It's a shame really :(
EZPZ #65
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

TVB wrote:
Kaos wrote:Meh, I don't understand some people :roll:
I'm guessing somebody once made fun of his little boy parts. :)
:rofl:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Syd wrote:
Kaos wrote:Thats kinda funny. I've had many encounters like this, but today was the oposite. I saw a street bike coming up on me fast in morning traffic on my way to work. I took the left side of the lane and he lane split me close and fast. I then sped up to catch him, though not really for any reason.

I can hear him now: "I'll be dammmed if that two-stroke-smokin', non-gear-matchin', uh, er, scooter-rider pass me!"
Heh, thats about what it seemed was going through his mind too :)
NewbieMichelle

2 wheel ettiquette

Post by NewbieMichelle »

Over the weekend we had a few harley riders wave and one gave us the peace sign down by the road...... I think.... is that a good thing? Could he have been flipping me off? We were going in opposite directions. We also had some bikes rev and take off. I dunno if they thought they were impressing us, but if we wanted Harleys we would have bought Harleys..
We saw two buddys last weekend and honked our horns at them, and of course they returned the honk.

What do you guys do when you pass bikes? I tend to nod at them. Is the peace sign acceptable or am I overstepping my two wheel bounds?

Damn newbies are so full of questions! :oops:
Scoot to work and work to Scoot.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I wave, motorcycle stye. I do the 2-finger wave because I also use hand signals when riding on 2 wheels. Open hand, arm extended down at an angle is the signal for "slow". Open hand, arm extended parallel to ground is "Left turn, Clyde." ;)

Here's one primer on the "wave". Don't take the subculture drama too seriously, though. :lol:

I never use the horn as a greeting for a couple reasons.
1: especially compared to other non-Buddy scooters...it's frickin' LOUD. I did it once and only once, mainly because the guy was beeping at me desperately to get me to beep back. He really jumped!
2: I'm of the opinion that the horn is for emergency and to alert others that you're there so as to prevent a wreck. Therefore, I don't greet with it. My own personal preference.

I used to wave at almost every bicycle, scooter, and motorcycle I saw. Now I'm mellowing out...a lot. :lol: I'll wave on occasion, usually when traffic's light. I'm much more likely to do the casual "2 fingers with hand on grip" these days than the full-on "Greetings and salutations, fellow rider" wave, unless the other does it first or it's a group. I'm usually too busy watching the cars around me. ;)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

"Scooter boy." :rofl:
I've been watching too much anime, I guess. This would make a good hero for a steampunk-style story line. (And I mean that in a good way!) ;)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:"Scooter boy." :rofl:
I've been watching too much anime, I guess. This would make a good hero for a steampunk-style story line. (And I mean that in a good way!) ;)
Hah! The Adventures of Scooter Boy! :P
Scalpel

Re: 2 wheel ettiquette

Post by Scalpel »

NewbieMichelle wrote:What do you guys do when you pass bikes? I tend to nod at them. Is the peace sign acceptable or am I overstepping my two wheel bounds?
The peace sign or low wave is totally acceptable. Hell, yesterday I did the "13Mordeth double peace sign wave" to a sports bike, and I could see the guy laughing and shaking his head. That maneuver (also known as "the Nixon") is not recommended for new/sane riders. :shock:
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

Cheshire wrote: Here's one primer on the "wave". Don't take the subculture drama too seriously, though. :lol:
Primer wrote: The Geek - Left hand raised high in the air as if to say, "Hi mom!" This one is specifically reserved for the new rider, who is "SO excited to be one of the gang!" Also may be seen being used by Moped or scooter riders. Recommendation: Just don't.
:rofl:
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

all 2 wheeled riders should have respect for each other. its a dangerous world out there lol
mojosnmikospapis

An encounter with a Yamaha C3

Post by mojosnmikospapis »

I was at a light yesterday and a C3 pulled up to me. I turned over and said hi. I got the hi back and I replied nice scooter.
She said thanks and also added yours is nice too but not as nice and mine.
???
Haha! I wish I had more time for a rebuttal but I just threw it out there that I needed a 2 seater. The 6ft lady then proceeded to scoot forward to show me she could also fit 2 people. Yeah right! Then she asked me how much and I told her 2k and she said mine too! Of course then the light turned green and I blew her away.
I wish we met at the next light so I could ramble on about 2 year warranty parts, labor and roadside assistance, plus a front disc brake, 2 stroke zip and my killer horn...sigh. Of course the little Yamaha couldn't catch up.
I did enjoy the encounter. Too bad it wasn't with someone more educated on scooters.
Black and de-restricted. Black Genuine topcase added to a black rear rack. Silverstars all around. New chrome side cowls (raffle win!)
Vic

Post by Vic »

I almost always do the low wave or 2 down wave to oncoming riders and I almost always get a response-cruisers, sport bikes, mopeds, whatever.

There are always a few that snub me, but that's okay, I guess they are either busy finding ANYTHING else to look at or do or their mommy didn't teach them any manners when they were little boys or girls.

If I notice a rider approaching me from behind, I also will move over to allow them to ride in a staggered formation and if I am approaching someone from behind I will tend to ride on the right side of the lane. Most of the time they move over and we ride along. I find it interesting when someone will give me a wave when they notice I am behind them, which happens pretty regularly.

Now, we have one HD dealer around here that is known to be extremely... umm, well, "stuck up" is what I would call it. If you walk in there with a textile jacket, you will be ignored until you go away. Walk in there with a helmet under your arm, you will be ignored until you go away. Walk in there having arrived on anything other than a HD and you will be viewed as a hostile invader until you make your intentions known. I have been assured this is the case by several other individuals of all sorts and types riding many different rides.

Drive there in a VW Bug, wearing blue jeans, a Tinkerbell tee shirt, and a ponytail to shop for boots and you will be stared at until you slink out the door in mortification. :roll: I am not cool enough to take the oxygen out of their air, but that is fine, I never have aspired to being part of the herd.

-v
TVB

Re: An encounter with a Yamaha C3

Post by TVB »

mojosnmikospapis wrote:I was at a light yesterday and a C3 pulled up to me....
Just be glad you didn't get on the subject of storage space. C3 owners are justifiably proud of their big pet carriers.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

TVB wrote:Just be glad you didn't get on the subject of storage space. C3 owners are justifiably proud of their big pet carriers.
If they made a C3 with a bigger engine, I might have chosen it over my Rattler. That cargo space is pretty enticing...
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

like riding on an ice chest
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Kaos, I'm roflmao!!!!!!

I wish I knew a scooterboy in person so I could greet him cheerfully and regularly with that line: FU, Scooter Boy!
so tough, so pink
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

chloefpuff wrote:Kaos, I'm roflmao!!!!!!

I wish I knew a scooterboy in person so I could greet him cheerfully and regularly with that line: FU, Scooter Boy!
Heh, that might be our new scooter greeting :P

Best part was that he said it like I was supposed to
Be offended by the title, like somehow i'd missed the
Fact that I was riding on a scooter.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

mojosnmikospapis wrote:I was at a light yesterday and a C3 pulled up to me. I turned over and said hi. I got the hi back and I replied nice scooter.
She said thanks and also added yours is nice too but not as nice and mine.
???
Haha! I wish I had more time for a rebuttal but I just threw it out there that I needed a 2 seater. The 6ft lady then proceeded to scoot forward to show me she could also fit 2 people. Yeah right! Then she asked me how much and I told her 2k and she said mine too! Of course then the light turned green and I blew her away.
I wish we met at the next light so I could ramble on about 2 year warranty parts, labor and roadside assistance, plus a front disc brake, 2 stroke zip and my killer horn...sigh. Of course the little Yamaha couldn't catch up.
I did enjoy the encounter. Too bad it wasn't with someone more educated on scooters.

I just came from the Yamaha dealer and now I know what a C3 is. Mojosnmikospapis you were awfully kind to compliment that scoot. I'm sure she loves it dearly but dang!!! That thing is ugly!
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!