*Trumpetting* Dun-Du-Du-Dun

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lojical1

*Trumpetting* Dun-Du-Du-Dun

Post by lojical1 »

Now announcing the newest addition to the family! We (Corsair and I) finally got it!! A Ruby Red Genuine Buddy 125! Her name is Skeeter. Pictures forthcoming :D :D :D
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

:D Lojical1's new scoot was just delivered tonight! I'll let her tell the hilarious story about that though. We'll post pics once we get some daylight (really wishing this friggin snow would go away). Man that red is really nice.

Also waiting for the front rack to get here. While we wait for that I'm going to go ahead and wire the DOT signals with the stock ones.
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

Keys

Post by Keys »

Congrats, you two!! I hope you enjoy your new red one as much as I enjoy my old red one!! I did a 100+ mile ride today...over the mountain to Prescott and back in mid-seventies temps. It was the best time I've had since the last time I made the trip. Wish you had been here to enjoy it with me!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
louie

Re: *Trumpetting* Dun-Du-Du-Dun

Post by louie »

lojical1 wrote:Now announcing the newest addition to the family! We (Corsair and I) finally got it!! A Ruby Red Genuine Buddy 125! Her name is Skeeter. Pictures forthcoming :D :D :D
Yea!! the logical one has a scooter, when does the other one get one?
Until then Corsair you'll have to be extra good so you can borrow it or maybe hitch a ride. 8)

Ya'll (that is 2 or more persons for those not from the south) will have more fun than allowed out there.
Like Keys says, there's only one thing that brings more pleasure. :)
DO3

Post by DO3 »

Nice. So the plan was for hers and his buddy's right? So did you lose the savings race or just being a gentleman and buying hers first?

I'm sure his won't be too far behind the arrival of hers. You'll get the bug after a few rides and decide food can wait unitl after you have enough for another scoot.
glhboy

Post by glhboy »

How long did it take to get yours? I ordered mine last Thursday. I think being here in Indy might be a shorter time since it's coming from Chicago.
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Thank you Keys and louie for the congrats. We are really excited and Corsair is wiring the DOT lights right now as I type :D

WARNING: This is an in-depth detailing of our scooter procurement = A bit to read. I broke it into 3 parts, the third part being the mods which Corsair will handle. Thanks hun :wink:

Part I
The Deal
I ended up getting the scooter out of sheer luck and consequence. Corsair's mom had a car and it died on her about two weeks ago. Once again, one of my glib remarks started something (which they often have a way of doing). We were sitting in my car and I said "Hell, I'd trade my car for a Buddy in a heartbeat."
"Seriously?", Corsair asked.
"Sure, why not," I responded. I didn't have a personal attachment to my Ford Taurus. It was just transportation, and on top of that, my friend had given it to me when she upgraded to an Escape.
After my response Corsair quickly ran the proposition by his folks. After considering it for a couple of days, they agreed on the exchange. YAY!

Part II
The Delivery
Between the snow, paperwork and the sales guy being slow, took 3 days to get her home.
Scoot Around Town (the scooter shop) is about 45 miles away from Downtown Detroit, where we dwell. The sales guy said he would be able to deliver it after work. We waited outside in the car (it was snowing!) when the estimated time near.
We waited......
...and waited.........
and waited.........
And finally, about an hour after his estimated arrival time came and went, we received a phone call. Yup, it was him, calling from a payphone.
"Hey, it's me. Is your address #### Street ?".
I respond, "Umm, no. I haven't lived there in two years. Why are you there?"
He replies, "Aww, thats the address thats on your license. I already unloaded it and its behind the house."
Now, mind you it was about 8:30 at night. In Detroit. And as much as I want to give a good impression of the city, it was 8:30pm in DETROIT. It was dark and he left something worth 3 grand in an alley. By itself. IN DETROIT. Good grief.
Trying to stay calm, I ask him if he could get it back in his truck and we we drive over, meet him and he could follow us home. He responded that he needed help getting it back in the truck and, in a true girlfriend moment I volunteered Corsair and told him that we would be there in 10 minutes.
Luckily, we don't live terribly far from my old address, but I admittedly did drive in a not-so-savory manner.
We arrived and thankfully Skeeter was still in one piece, unharmed with a smattering of snowflakes on her.

So now we are a one car, one scooter house, soon to be a two scooter, one car house :D

More pics to come!
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
paige

Post by paige »

Skeeter is really cute! I hope the delivery guy was suitably embarassed about his booboo. Now if only the snowflakes would take a break for a few hours so you can go for a ride!
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

glhboy wrote:How long did it take to get yours?
It was already at the scooter shop so I didn't have to wait for it to be delivered from Chicago. Luckily they delivered it to my house free of charge. I do have to wait for the front rack to come in (sometime next week) but they already punched out the holes for me, as you can see in the picture.
-Spike Spiegel

sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

excellently named.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

PART III
Alright finished some mods, hands have thawed (of course it waits to start snowing until I actually bring the scooter out and begin working on it), computer froze, computer restarts magically on its own, computer freezes again, computers gets cursed at, and… yep… computer crashes again and now won’t load. Well so now I’m using Lojical1’s computer to let you know how the mods turned out.

Installed the shiny and brand spankin new Chrome Rear Rack. Incredibly easy to do:

TOOLS
Socket Wrench
Screwdriver

REMOVE STOCK RACK
There are only two visible bolts to remove and one hidden nut. The nut is hidden under the tinted plastic piece, just unscrew the single screw that’s holding it in place and pop it off (a couple of snaps are also holding it but no worries). Use your socket wrench to remove the bolts and make sure to hold on to the nut for the next step.

INSTALL NEW RACK
The rack comes with two bolts, one cylinder spacer, and one washer (which I didn’t end up using). First slide the cylinder over the once hidden bolt. Now just line up the new rack where the stock one was formally located and screw the two bolts into place. Since the new rack didn’t include a nut I just used the original one, screw that into place and you’re done!

TA-DA! ENJOY YOUR NEW RACK :)

I’ll be installing the Chrome Front Rack once it gets here. The dealer was out of stock and had to order one for us.
Last edited by Corsair on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

What a beautiful baby! :wink:

Good thing your delivery guy had the sense to call you after the 'goof'. I've had nothing but good service from the people at Scoot Around Town - who offered free delivery of my Blur to Toledo (which I didn't need because I managed to borrow a cargo van). Alexis was very tolerant of my rubbernecking and questions during my first service - letting me turn the free first service into a tutorial.

-Mark
Keys

Post by Keys »

Corsair, the rear racks have tendency to break just about at the point where the center stud and nut are. Check out my blog www.skutergruven.blogspot.com to see how I had mine and two others fixed. Works like a charm...

--Keys 8)
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Thanks for the heads up Keys. It's good to see you updating the blog again. Man you definitely have some adventures. I asked my dealer about the faulty rear racks and he told me that genuine supposedly released new ones with better welds???

CONGRATS on the new CD! Do you have any streams online? Hope everything works out SOON (I definitely feel the woes). Better days!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

PART IV
CHYEAH! Just finished modding the turn signals! Wired the DOT and OEM signals together. THANKS SO MUCH for those nicely detailed instruction. Also turned the DOT signals outward, here’s how:

TOOLS

REWIRING TURN SIGNALS
Originally posted by xkennx http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48

TURN DOT SIGNALS
1) loosen the bolt holding them in place
2) turn the signal the direction you want them
3) Tighten the bolt back

The wrenches I had were all too big so I ended up having to use the pliers (the adjustable wench was hard to maneuver in the small space around the nut).

Check out the newly modded signals: HERE

Thanks again to EVERYONE here that's been so helpful and welcoming to us! More pics to come :D

PS
Yeah I'll be getting mine soon (just not soon enough)
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Just ordered the Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn for Skeeter! Can't wait to get that in there. Post a clip/pics of it installed once it gets here. Thanks to mlee10018 and lobsterman for the recommendation and link.

One question, should I follow this instructions: http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic2541.html or the ones that come with the horn? Any tips you can give me about installing the horn would be appreciated. Thanks :)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

CONGRATS!!! lojical1 & Corsair. But especially to lojical1! Lucky you, to have such a handy gentleman around to help you with the mods. :wink:

Mos def post your experiences when the new horn arrives. I'm thinking about the Stebel, too. Hmmm. :twisted:
ModBud #442
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Thank you poli for your warm wishes. Yup, I really lucked out. Everyone needs a Corsair in their life :P . Oh, just got my HJC flip up helmet in the mail yesterday, it's AMAZING. The color, the fit. I'm loving it! Went with Candy Red. Best color ever!
Hey, Did u ever get the new seat for ur scoot ?
-Spike Spiegel

Keys

Post by Keys »

I mounted the air horn from my Kenworth on my Buddy. First time I used it the recoil set me back 3 blocks. Put it back on the Kenworth...

--Keys 8)
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

HAHAHAHAHA! So if I ever need that jet pack mod I'll just borrow your air horn and reverse install it... lol
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Corsair wrote:One question, should I follow this instructions: http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic2541.html or the ones that come with the horn? Any tips you can give me about installing the horn would be appreciated. Thanks :)
The basic wiring & mounting will be the same, though I'm not sure the wire colors will be. You should be able to figure out what's what by reading the tutorial and examining the stock Buddy horn. This is my next mod!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lojical1 wrote:Hey, Did u ever get the new seat for ur scoot ?
:cry: :cry: :cry: NOOOOO!!! Not yet. I am going through the five stages of grief. I'm at bargaining now, where I offer pizza (and maybe even money?) for a dang black seat. *le sigh*
ModBud #442
adam

socket wrench

Post by adam »

Hey Y'all-
What size socket wrench should I use to install rear rack?
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: socket wrench

Post by ericalm »

adam wrote:Hey Y'all-
What size socket wrench should I use to install rear rack?
12mm. 1/2" is a bit too big.An adjustable wrench would work for this, too.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
adam

Rear rack installation

Post by adam »

Thanks!!
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Keys wrote:Corsair, the rear racks have tendency to break just about at the point where the center stud and nut are. Check out my blog www.skutergruven.blogspot.com to see how I had mine and two others fixed. Works like a charm...

--Keys 8)
Gotta like the 20 mm cannons up front, must keep the misbehaving cagers at bay......... 8) does it have a passenger ejection seat...?
"Social graces, got any"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eddy Merckx wrote:
Keys wrote:Corsair, the rear racks have tendency to break just about at the point where the center stud and nut are. Check out my blog www.skutergruven.blogspot.com to see how I had mine and two others fixed. Works like a charm...

--Keys 8)
Gotta like the 20 mm cannons up front, must keep the misbehaving cagers at bay......... 8) does it have a passenger ejection seat...?
This, BTW, was the old design racks—the new ones have no such problems. Problem with resurrecting old threads like this one. :)