All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Genuine Blur 220 test ride!

Post by illnoise »

Blur fans rejoice:

http://2strokebuzz.com/2009/08/genuine- ... -test-ride

In summary, it's not a sure thing, and still a ways off if it happens, but it's awesome news...

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Nice! I can't wait to hear more.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a scooter if I were to get a new one. I wonder what they're going to do for an MSRP?

Hopefully we'll hear a lot more about this and the "300" soon.

EFI and improved suspension!?! Hell yeah!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
McFlyMpls

Post by McFlyMpls »

I'd love one. I just purchased a lightly used Blur and it has been fanfriggintastic, the only thing holding it back... the powerplant.

I've test ridden an SYM HD200, and that's the kind of power that would complete a scooter like the Blur. The HD200 felt much more powerful than 171cc's, no doubt due to the liquid cooling and general engine design (after all, it's the "Engine of Life"). The HD200 was a major competitor for my $$, but the Blur was such a good deal/steal.

I know everyone, including myself, hates the Kymco Yager 200i based on how it looks (this is a false statement if your name is Helmut or Gunter, you're over 30, and you reside in Germany). But damn... liquid cooled and a 3 gallon gas tank? The only thing it doesn't have is the suspension design(will have to wait and see on how it handles) and the looks.

But a 220 Blur with FI is a welcome improvement. That's what is so great about the Blur... it's so good at what it does that it really needs little improvement to make it near perfect. I can honestly say that when I look at the Blur, I see tons of thoughtful, brilliant design and it looks like PGO is going to keep it that way.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I wants one, I does.

I really, really does.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Oh, boy. Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in again. Just last night I had narrowed down my choices to a Vespa GTS300ie or a Yamaha Majesty 400. Now this throws a wrench into it. At the end of the day, the new Blur still might be a little less than I'm looking for. The touring scoot at 300 would be a consideration, though.

Price is a big consideration, though. I'm looking to spend about $6k on a new bike. If Genuine can price these at around $5k I will take a strong look.

(Basically I have to consolidate my two rides: A Blur and a Suzuki GS500 from the '80s. I'm looking for a good commuter that will get me a little higher top end for some inter-city travel (100 to 200 miles on rural highway). Blur doesn't quite do it (I'm a fata@@) and the GS, for all it's great points, only gets about 80 miles per tank. Terrible as a commuter, too. It's fun as Hell, though.)

I'll stay tuned!!!
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

I'm in...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm wanting to know how much they're going to price it for. Wonder if they'd do some sort of discount for those of us with the 150, hehe.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Maybe you could hope for it to be unpopular like the original blur, then genuine will have a ware house left over and sitting in dealers for months until the price slowly drops down to a steal like the blurs were back then.

I almost got a 2007 blur brand new OTD for $2700 back last march. But when I eyed the new 2008 orange buddy...I had to get it.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jfrost2 wrote:Maybe you could hope for it to be unpopular like the original blur, then genuine will have a ware house left over and sitting in dealers for months until the price slowly drops down to a steal like the blurs were back then.

I almost got a 2007 blur brand new OTD for $2700 back last march. But when I eyed the new 2008 orange buddy...I had to get it.
A part of me wants that pretty badly, but that's the selfish and greedy part that I try not to indulge. I'd rather have them get the Gmax off the ground here in the States and maybe catch up to the rest of the scooter world. The 220 fuel injected model is the one to do it. I'd be lying if i said I hadn't considered another Sport type scoot with more technology (I'm looking at you, Over-priced Citycom!). I'd also like them to have a current model that I absolutely adore. Don't get me wrong, the Buddy is a fantastic scooter, but once you ride a Blur, you just can't go back.... the Buddy feels like a toy when it comes down to the overall ride quality.

The Blur is pretty much the best riding scooter out there in terms of handling, braking and (with a little reforming/refoaming of the seat) seating position and comfort. It's bogged down by it's power delivery.

If they put the Blur 220i (yeah, I know that's not what it's called, but I'm hoping to start a bit of honesty in the US market - Rounding up by 30-40cc's is a bit excessive, SYM/Carter Bros) at a competitive price point, they could murder the other companies. If they go to high, then I'll grimmace and wait for it to go on the bargain bin or pick a garage queen up for a song.

I really want the Blur 220i (yeah, I'm using it!) to take off here. The more folks we can get on scoots- and damned good ones at that - the better. If the Blur had just a little more umph, it'd be the perfect commuter. Not a ton of storage, not super comfy for long hauls, but agile and comfortable to get folks to and from work with enough fun for weekend romps... you're looking at gold there, man! Plus, I'd love to know that they have a supply of parts constantly inbound instead of ordering as many service parts as possible for fear of unavailability in the future.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The Citycom is fun to ride, and faster than the Blur, and comfier if you're covering more distance on the highway, but I just really like the size and style of the Blur more.

They're two totally different bikes, I wouldn't really consider them up against each other, the Citycom would be more comparable (performance-wise) to the new Genuine bike.

I'd imagine (and hope) the Blur 220 would be a good deal cheaper.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Personally, I think Genuine should offer current Blur owners a generous trade-in allowance. We've already got "cash for clunkers", how's about "bucks for Blurs"? :wink:

Also, any indication that the 220 engine/drivetrain could be a drop-in replacement on the current 150's? If it were, I certainly wouldn't mind going that route, and that'd certainly be a nice bone for Genuine to throw to all of us.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That would be a great solution. Maybe they could take a survey and see how many Blur owners would like to buy a crated 220i engine to bolt into the 150 frame. Probably with the upgraded spring included. If everything else is the same, there's not a lot of sense in buying a whole new bike.

No idea what the cost of something like that would be.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

As I understand it, the engine would fit in a Blur 150 frame, the oil cooling and such seems the same but you'd need the new airbox and maybe the new spring and a few other bits, and i dunno if the wiring is plug&play…

But I've got no idea if the engines would be available.

As far as an upgrade program, they will have that, it's called a "Trade-in," ha.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

illnoise wrote:As far as an upgrade program, they will have that, it's called a "Trade-in," ha.

There goes all the money I've saved on gas :cry:
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

if i ever meet a dealer that will take trade ins they will be a dealer for life. i can completely understand why they don't accept trade ins though.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

ahh, maybe there is life for my poor Blur sitting here with a blown engine!

That would sure be a nice upgrade putting that 220i in there.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Heck yeah it would.

I'm wondering where all the dead Blur's go to. Someone's buying them up from the insurance companies after they get crashed of recovered from being stolen.... but somewhere there's got to be a few laying around with an engine that'd fix your Blur right up.

As for the 220i, I wonder if it's air or water-cooled. That might make it more/less difficult to adapt to the current Blur frame. My guess is that it's air cooled since there's nothing on the display for a temperature.

A water-cooled, fuel injected and larger displacement Blur would be the meanest "small frame modern" out there. I just hope they offer some decent color choices (storm-trooper white!!!).
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

It's air-cooled, with an oil cooler, like the 07s and 08s...

Forgot to ask about valves, but I'm guessing it's a 4-valve, can't find any info online.

BTW, this has been posted here before, but here's a H-K site with lots of photos:

http://www.ibike.com.hk/01_bike_report/ ... 220/22.htm

FWIW the one I rode was a different color, but essentially the same, at least on the surface (aside from some ugly and US-irrelevant euro-safety knick-knacks).

Bb.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks for heads-up on the possible new Blur! If it becomes available in Calif, I'm definitely buying one as long as it's not over $5,000. I should stop on over at SF Scooter Center to see if they'd heard any news. If it's positive, a down payment is a sure thing!
Great preview on your website illnoise, but I was just wondering about your statement that the 2007s' were orange/black and 2008s' were grey/black. My 2006 is orange/black and the 2007s' I've seen were grey/black and there were no new Blurs in 2008. Am I missing something here?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Ooh, geez, you're right, that's a typo. Fixing now.

Bb
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

due to the current economic sitution, I would like to see Genuine release the Gmax at a aggressively marketed price of 3999.00...capturing the 4000.00 price-point buyers would be very beneficial to Genuine. ...Potential SYM, Kymco, Honda, Yamaha and even Vespa buyers would be motivated to visit showrooms seeking the Gmax.220i.........oh, I would also betcha a whole lot of used Blurs would magically show up in the 'for sale' area................pinch me if I am dreaming :) :)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

hardd1 wrote:due to the current economic sitution, I would like to see Genuine release the Gmax at a aggressively marketed price of 3999.00...capturing the 4000.00 price-point buyers would be very beneficial to Genuine. ...Potential SYM, Kymco, Honda, Yamaha and even Vespa buyers would be motivated to visit showrooms seeking the Gmax.220i.........oh, I would also betcha a whole lot of used Blurs would magically show up in the 'for sale' area................pinch me if I am dreaming :) :)
Well, I hope you're clairvoyant and not just a dreamer because at that price point, I'd buy 2! OK, maybe not 2. :D
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Considering how the first Blur did and the current state of the economy, I think at least an introductory price point at around $4k would be ideal. They could easily price it at a higher point, but then they start getting more competition and they'd just end up in the same situation as before. Of course, the cheaper the better, but if they go much lower than that, people would start looking at it as competition with the Buddy.

Their MSRP is going to be a HUGE factor in how well it does. I really want them to do well with this model. I think the 220i is damned near perfect. The only downside is that it's still air-cooled. Some may debate that, being of consequence, but if I were looking for something to take on the highway (which this model seems aimed at) I'd want some reassurances in it maintaining it's temps.

I know, I'm too picky. But it's picky people that bought or passed the first time round with the Blur.
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

The SYM HD 200 @ 3799.00 is a formidable machine....Kymco's new Yager-meister or whatever the hell they call it is on track @ 3499.00...I fear if the Gmax crosses the 4000.00 tier it will be overlooked... :nerd:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The Jager (Rockbiter) is going to give the Blur some fierce competition, if looking at a performance/price (including warranty) ratio. I'd definitely give the nod to the Blur on looks though. SYM makes great machines (the HD200 has been described as "retard strong" and it makes a really good medium-sized tourer - see Cannonball 08), but they price them too high. Once you start going too high, you start competing with motorcycles that offer a LOT more machine for the money. Of course we don't buy motorcycles when looking at scooters because they are pretty different machines, with different uses... but it should still come into play when either making a purchase as a consumer or pricing a new model as a manufacturer.

Then again, if I were buying for looks alone, I'd go with a Vespa, lol.

Pricing's going to be tricky for Genuine. I hope they do well!
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

Lostmycage wrote: Then again, if I were buying for looks alone, I'd go with a Vespa, lol.
nail meet head...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

fs8gbe wrote:nail meet head...
That sounds painful!
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

Lostmycage wrote:
fs8gbe wrote:nail meet head...
That sounds painful!
:lol:
as in - you hit the nail on the head...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

:D
Davek

Post by Davek »

Does sound like a cool scooter, although if it goes for much over $4000, I'd at least consider the Aprilia Sportcity with 22.5hp and the Vespa aftermarket for parts also, since it's a midsized sport style scooter like the Blur and with MSRP at $4799 (and a $400 rebate now I think, with dealers that seem to be willing to negotiate).
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, a friend just bought a SportCity at MSRP (came down on price enough to cover taxes and fees. I don't think the Blur would stand a chance at that MSRP.
TLG James

Post by TLG James »

Any idea how large the tires were?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

On the Blur 220? same wheels and tires.

On the Sportcity? I think they're 14s, but I'm not sure
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Sport City 250:
Front Tires: 120/70 x 15"
Rear Tires: 130/80 x 15"

BTW: I spoke with someone at SF Scooter Center about the Blur 220 and they know about it, but don't know whether or not it will be available yet. Told them I would definitely put a deposit down on one if it becomes a reality. 8)