Mad Ass 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

berryjames74

Mad Ass 125

Post by berryjames74 »

Hey anyone have or ridden on this new scoot yet? It looks awesome!!

http://www.peirspeed.com/madass125.htm
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Hmmm. Never seen one of those before. My first thought was I'm not too keen on having a hot muffler right under my butt. Wonder how fast it will go?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Hmmm. Never seen one of those before. My first thought was I'm not too keen on having a hot muffler right under my butt. Wonder how fast it will go?
great minds think alike. I thought the same thing - why'd would you want to sit on your exhaust pipe YEOUCH!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Not really a scoot, its reall just a small motorcycle.

I'll agree that it looks pretty cool, but I've heard a lot of people not really like the Madass 50. I've heard complaints of the handling, roughness, lack of power on the 50, along with plenty of complaints about the seat heating from the exhaust.

Shrug. Not really my thing. When I was looking at getting into the scooter thing, I also looked at stuff like a ninja 250. The storage space on a scooter was really the deciding factor.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Are you guys kidding me? The first person reviews I've read are these things are fantastic! They've got major cult status among a very small group of riders. And they sure do look kick-a** (and I heard they sound it, too). I'd love to take one out for a ride.

Not a scoot, but a pretty ridiculous (in a good way!) two-wheeler. And the name, c'mon, I'd looooove for someone to ask me what I'm riding.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Last I read sachs was producing these in main land china. I dont usually trust motor vehicles from china even from reputable companies. I wonder if it's been transfered to being made in taiwan, similar to how the venti150 from hammerhead was chinese made, now taiwanese.

I think it looks like a great bike, but it's just a small motorcycle, my opinion is if you're going to shift gears on a bike, might as well atleast get a 250cc bike so it is highway capable too.

If it was for just in city and country road riding, I'd just say get a buddy instead then. Price range is similar after tax and titling.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

i though they looked pretty cool. a lot of people have done motor swaps. large open area is easy(er) to fit other, larger motors. and i think the fuel tank as part of the frame work is cool to.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I like the Madass, but I'm sort of leary of buying one of the first units to be delivered. Actually, I'm secretly hoping SYM will bring the Wolf to the USA. It's a tried-and-true motor design in a zippy looking bike.
Attachments
sym-wolf.jpg
sym-wolf.jpg (84.26 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jrsjr wrote:I like the Madass, but I'm sort of leary of buying one of the first units to be delivered. Actually, I'm secretly hoping SYM will bring the Wolf to the USA. It's a tried-and-true motor design in a zippy looking bike.
That's nice! Love the retro styling.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

BMW has production in China. It's about quality control. Not everything from China is crap. And Sachs (a leading producer of mopeds and motrobikes) is not going to ruin their well-established (also German) reputation by making crap.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I saw one this July. I thought it was somebodys custom job. It was parked in a marina lot where extremely wealthy people dock their extremely large boats on which they carry scooters or bicycles to navigate the town.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

siobhan wrote:BMW has production in China. It's about quality control. Not everything from China is crap. And Sachs (a leading producer of mopeds and motrobikes) is not going to ruin their well-established (also German) reputation by making crap.
So is vespa, the well known italian motor scooter company. But that didnt stop them from having leader150 engines produced in china get recalled a few years back. Who's to say it wont happen again, possibly in other companies factories.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

The MadAss is arguably a Moped. I've ridden the MadAss 50's. They're ok, but seem slow for a 50. The tank is hidden in the body though which is cool. They're SMALL. The picture looks much bigger than they actually are. They're like a Piaggio Ciao in size if you know what that looks like.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This 125 version has just started appearing in US dealers. Don't know if they'll bother bringing it into CA.

Not the sort of thing I'd buy but it looks like it's probably fun to ride.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The design is nice, but it doesnt look very storage or passenger friendly. Adding a top case or any type of storage wouldnt look too good considering they designed it to look slim like a moped or bicycle.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Looks pretty interesting. I'd love to test ride one, at least. 8)
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

That's a cool looking bike, like a moped on steroids. I wouldn't say no if someone were to give me one!
Vic

Post by Vic »

As a cool looking, entry level bike, it strikes me as something perfectly suited for a kid whose parents are not willing to put him (ahem) on a crotch rocket capable of hurtling their pride and joy from 0 to 90 in just under the speed of light. Seems like just what every kid learning to drive ought to start out experiencing. We would have a lot of much better car drivers.

It also is something that does not scream "this is your mother's scooter" or "...your dad's Harley".

Not to mention, it has a very cool name, unlike SOME two wheeled vehicles we know (and love). :oops:

I can imagine my son quite happily riding one of those to high school.

Although the location of that exaust I am wondering if maybe it should be called HotAss instead!

-v
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Plus a 4spd transmission... that's gotta be fun 8)
EZPZ #65
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

holy crap... i want one

What do they cost?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

EZPZ #65
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

i looked up dealers, closest is 90 miles, the next ones on the list are car dealers in PA that also sell 50cc Chinese junk. Only in PA can you sell 50k chevy trucks next to $999 scooters
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Vic wrote:As a cool looking, entry level bike, it strikes me as something perfectly suited for a kid whose parents are not willing to put him (ahem) on a crotch rocket capable of hurtling their pride and joy from 0 to 90 in just under the speed of light. Seems like just what every kid learning to drive ought to start out experiencing. We would have a lot of much better car drivers.

It also is something that does not scream "this is your mother's scooter" or "...your dad's Harley".

Not to mention, it has a very cool name, unlike SOME two wheeled vehicles we know (and love). :oops:

I can imagine my son quite happily riding one of those to high school.

Although the location of that exaust I am wondering if maybe it should be called HotAss instead!

-v
*"Chestnuts... roasting on an open fire........."*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Looks like fun. Then again, it's looked like fun for about a year (which is how overdue this model is in the States).

If money weren't a concern (or practicality for that matter) I'd have one of these in a heartbeat. Unfortunately (strike that, fortunately) for me, our finances are controlled by the more realistic and responsible party to my marriage.

I'm saving my pennies for the updated Blur which is due out in 20??. Screw the Citycom, lol. OK, actually, I should mention that this decision would rely quite a bit on how they handle the MSRP. If they go to hi, I'll be taking a much closer look at the Madass.

If it comes down to names, the Madass wins hands down!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
michelle_7728

Madass

Post by michelle_7728 »

I agree with the other poster...where would you put a top case? And if you did, wouldn't it be sitting right on top of the exhaust pipe? :?

Part of the attraction of a scooter to me is NOT having to swing my leg over the top (bad back), but then people interested in buying this wouldn't care about that aspect, I suppose. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

No doubt it's NOT a scooter. But it's not a motorcycle either. Kind of a cross between a motard and a mountain bike. Kind of the angry brother of the Symba... I like it, but it couldn't replace my Rattler. It could add to the fleet :D
EZPZ #65
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

nissanman wrote:No doubt it's NOT a scooter. But it's not a motorcycle either. Kind of a cross between a motard and a mountain bike. Kind of the angry brother of the Symba... I like it, but it couldn't replace my Rattler. It could add to the fleet :D
That's a really good description of them :) Their frame is quite like a heavy duty mountain bike frame.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

http://www.justgottascoot.com/madass.htm
This review is for a 50 but gives good idea about this mfg.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Pretty cool but I like the X-Road better.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

CPI makes a dual sport bike similar to the X-Road, it's 250cc and manual transmission. CPI had money issues a few months back, wonder if they're still planning to import bikes with fly scooters. I hope they can still build and import the bikes into the USA, I'd like to see the GTR250 in the USA, it's fully automatic too.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Our local shop here has 2 of them. They look really fun, look a lot like the hondas from back in the day.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/363/4336/ ... 1464739306
Here's a quick look at it in yellow.
EZPZ #65
jperkins

Post by jperkins »

I sat on one about an hour ago......It has a really weird set up.....high seat and low handle bars........I like the look but it wasn't comfortable.
MB Member #322
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

They have been here in the U.K. for years now, looked at one about 5 years ago and found the seat quite high. I do like the different look. They have become popular recently with people with camper vans transporting them on holiday for easy transport into towns and villages. Sachs went through troubled times and are now attempting a re-launch.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

When I read the review of the MadAss 125 in the Nov/Dec 2006 issue of TAG magazine, I wanted to buy one, but alas, it wasn't available here in the US. The review bike had a 4-speed manual transmission, electric and kick start, front & rear disk brakes and weighed 209lb. The top speed was almost 60mph and it handled really well. I saw someone riding the 50cc version of it a couple weeks back and it really is a small bike - a little bigger than a Honda Mini Trail 70 I'd say. It'd make a great city bike to putz around on, but probably not very practical for everyday use. I'd still like to get one though... :)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

jfrost2 wrote:CPI makes a dual sport bike similar to the X-Road, it's 250cc and manual transmission. CPI had money issues a few months back, wonder if they're still planning to import bikes with fly scooters. I hope they can still build and import the bikes into the USA, I'd like to see the GTR250 in the USA, it's fully automatic too.
Fly will not be importing CPI....instead, Fly has started an online store to sell their line of scooters: www.znendirect.com .....CPI is rumored to be distributed by the PSF/Andretti folks on the east coast
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

babblefish wrote:When I read the review of the MadAss 125 in the Nov/Dec 2006 issue of TAG magazine, I wanted to buy one, but alas, it wasn't available here in the US. The review bike had a 4-speed manual transmission, electric and kick start, front & rear disk brakes and weighed 209lb. The top speed was almost 60mph and it handled really well. I saw someone riding the 50cc version of it a couple weeks back and it really is a small bike - a little bigger than a Honda Mini Trail 70 I'd say. It'd make a great city bike to putz around on, but probably not very practical for everyday use. I'd still like to get one though... :)
yeah, they're tiny. I wonder if the 125 is on the same frame?
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

We've been racking up some serious miles on our MadAss 125's around here.

I was also suspicious of the quality, we actually went down to Georgia and tried the bikes out first hand before signing on and commiting to taking any units. We were immediately impressed with the welds, components and overall assembly. Sachs was not willing to compromise their reputation by producing a stinker.

I've been completely thrilled with my MadAss...it's an absolute hoot. It definitely is NOT a scooter. No storage, big wheels, 4 speed manual hell, it doesnt' even have a helmet hook. It wheelies on command, stoppies on command and is overbuilt to the point I've launched it off of more than a few driveway aprons and sidewalk ramps.

The seat sucks. 45 minutes is my absolute limit.

The underseat exhaust does not make your butt hot.

The headlights are amazing.

I'm working on bunny-hopping it.

There are about a gajillion performance parts already available for this thing. We've got most of them on order.

It's completely screaming "get over here and mess with me" hell, there's nothing keeping you out of the engine...no body work to remove, it's all hanging out in the open.

I'm hooked.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

So how does one go about purchasing one of these things and how much damage will it cause the credit card? :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

$2,799 MSRP, about the same as the buddy.

Because this thing is so thin like a bicycle, I wonder if you could sneak it to be parked in a bike rack or next to one.
Liquidkool

Post by Liquidkool »

Those madasses are pretty fricken kool. Ive been reading and watching youtube vids for a while now, i would love to get the gray/flat black 125 4spd. I bet they get alot of looks where ever they go. The frame is the gas tank, and if your worried bout a hot ass they have a few aftermarket pipe options.
THINKFORYOURSELF