Should I add a windshield?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dakotamouse

Should I add a windshield?

Post by dakotamouse »

I'd like everyones feelings about adding a windshield. I keep getting assaulted by bugs! The Husband just laughs and says he doesn't notice them. He's got a windshield on his Honda.

I do ride with a helmet, and so does he, But the bug guts are driving me nuts!

Does a windshield really help on an Italia? Does it lower gas mileage? What do you think it looks like?
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I use the windshield in cold weather months and take it off again the spring.

I like the feeling of the wind, but in winter I like the comfort factor from the windshield.

It's a highly personal thing only you can really decide.

A small windshield won't slow you down, I think I actually gain 2-3 mph with the windshield.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Yes, get one. You might not like the bug guts but you will like the occasional rock even less. Get the windshield.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Very personal choice. Most say that they get slightly better mpg and mph.
I had one ordered for Winter months but never picked it up. I like the open feeling better and can gear up enough to keep warm.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I don't like 'em, I feel like it makes you less stable with sidewinds, and most of them tend to smack me in the visor when I stop.

'course they're all very different and there are a lot to choose from, and for a bigger touring scooter, they're pretty great, but for smaller bikes where you're not topping 55 much anyway, I think they're a waste.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I like mine, and I never notice the sidewind thing, but the ones that are designed for the Buddy are small. I would not go bigger. I still get plenty of air, and it is a fact that they increase gas mileage. It's not going to be dramatic but it does make a difference, and it makes sense. The human body in and of itself is not the most aerodynamic wind deflector.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

make sure it works with your helmet. See if you can try one out. the wsbud does not work with the combination of my height, my exo700 helmet, etc. Horrible loud rushing noise.

However, it may be just fine with an open face helmet.

I wear a ff, and a buf around my neck for bugs. works for me. Bottom line is ymmv. You might find a used one out there for cheaps.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I say pick up a small one, what you need to find is where the wind is hitting you when you're riding with it, if it hits just below your neck that's alright, and if it goes over your head that's alright, if it's hitting you right under the helmet or right where the visor is it's going to get loud.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Have you ever sat on a scooter with a windshield? I'm sure this depends on how tall you are but I bought a windshield, installed it, and found I felt quite cramped behind it. Plus after riding without one for so long I found I didn't like having something between me and the open road. I took it off and have never put it back on since. (But I did like how the adapters raised my mirrors about an inch, so I still have those installed...).

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

"I do ride with a helmet, and so does he, But the bug guts are driving me nuts! "

Uh Oh, GearHead, you have competition for Poet Emeritus of Modern Buddy... :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have a medium on the buddy. I like them in cold weather. Gas mileage is better too, plus they are also great in rain. as far as bugs, they catch a ton.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

arrrggggh! still not sure what I want to do! If I got one it would be the shorter one from Scooterworks. I know I'll have to clean bug guts off it but at least they wouldn't be bouncing off my chest and plastering my face shield.

I'm traveling at 55 mph. back and forth to work along a field of sunflowers, which just started heading out so next I'll be getting schmucked by bees.

I can't try out someone elses Buddy with a windshield.....cause I am the only Buddy around.

Everybody I know with a motorcycle says get the windshield.

arrrgh!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Do NOT get the windshield. Wait a while longer, cruise with the bees and if you are truly disgusted you will buy one. At that point, relief will be more important than price and you will be stress free. Besides, if you just hate it, you can always sell it on MB for a small loss and consider it cost you maybe 20 bucks to find out how you feel about windshields. Cheap at the price!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I like mine, and I never notice the sidewind thing, but the ones that are designed for the Buddy are small. I would not go bigger. I still get plenty of air, and it is a fact that they increase gas mileage. It's not going to be dramatic but it does make a difference, and it makes sense. The human body in and of itself is not the most aerodynamic wind deflector.
+1 I love my windshield and hate to ride without one. I just don't enjoy having wind beat on my chest whenever I ride. I use a FF modular helmet and never have issues with wind noise. Frankly, I cannot recommend one enough and I have nothing negative to say about them! I do agree though, that many people just don't like them; to each their own!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

I have a windshield. I think it's a medium one. I got it last summer when the wind hitting my chest as I was starting to go 45-55 mph was making me uncomfortable. It re-directs enough of the wind that I'm much more comfortable zipping along, but still allows me enough airflow to cool me off in our lovely Alabama summers. :roll: It isn't too expensive. See if your dealer will accept a return, or sell it here if you don't like the way it makes your scooter ride. Good luck!
pajeanka

Post by pajeanka »

If you are gonna live in ND/MN with a scooter - DO the windscreen. If the bugs aren't an issue the wind & cold are. I just took my short Cuppini windscreen off my Buddy 150 St Tropez today. I'm moving it to a different scooter I'll be riding soon. So far this windscreen has been on both a Buddy 125 and Buddy 150. The windscreen has made a difference on both scooters.
It's true what others had posted. Increase in speed, quicker take offs, better gas mileage, and for me the most important thing is that the wind isn't beating my head and upper body all around making it a fight to handle my scooter (I am a small female).
The ride is much more enjoyable with the windscreen. That said - I do have to say that there is more wind noise around my full face helmet, but I got used to that in a couple of days. I rode a Buddy for a whole summer without a windscreen, I don't want to ride without one now. I jumped on hubby's Blur scooter the other night and headed to the highway and was reminded in 30 seconds why I don't mind washing the bugs off my windscreen. :lol:
Vic

Post by Vic »

You aren't going to know if a windscreen is right for you until you try it for yourself.

I have the medium, I am 5'2" tall and it is absolutely perfect for me.

I have a friend with a Vespa and she bought the great big granddaddy windscreen and then had it cut down to the right height for her.

I dislike the feeling of being pulled around by the wind, having the wind go up the front of my FF helmet and dry my eyes out, and not having anyplace to put things like route notes and such (write 'em on a Post It Super Sticky and stick to the inside of the windscreen-works great!)

-v
bpsalinas

Post by bpsalinas »

Vic wrote:write 'em on a Post It Super Sticky and stick to the inside of the windscreen-works great!
That is a fantastic suggestion. I may have to get a windscreen for this reason alone.
Vic

Post by Vic »

bpsalinas wrote:
Vic wrote:write 'em on a Post It Super Sticky and stick to the inside of the windscreen-works great!
That is a fantastic suggestion. I may have to get a windscreen for this reason alone.
Thanks. :) I am known for being navigationally challenged, especially in unfamiliar territory, and so I stick notes all over the inside of my windscreen to help keep me on track with just a glance. Of course, a map in the petcarrier for a backup is always a good idea.

-v
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

pajeanka wrote:If you are gonna live in ND/MN with a scooter - DO the windscreen. If the bugs aren't an issue the wind & cold are. I just took my short Cuppini windscreen off my Buddy 150 St Tropez today. I'm moving it to a different scooter I'll be riding soon. So far this windscreen has been on both a Buddy 125 and Buddy 150. The windscreen has made a difference on both scooters.
It's true what others had posted. Increase in speed, quicker take offs, better gas mileage, and for me the most important thing is that the wind isn't beating my head and upper body all around making it a fight to handle my scooter (I am a small female).
The ride is much more enjoyable with the windscreen. That said - I do have to say that there is more wind noise around my full face helmet, but I got used to that in a couple of days. I rode a Buddy for a whole summer without a windscreen, I don't want to ride without one now. I jumped on hubby's Blur scooter the other night and headed to the highway and was reminded in 30 seconds why I don't mind washing the bugs off my windscreen. :lol:

Woohooo! Another ND Buddy!!Did you have to go to Minnesota to get it?

I think I will give the short Cuppini a try. The price isn't bad. And as a few people have mentioned ...If I don't like it I can probably sell it.

Thanks to all!!!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I don't know if the short Cuppini will cut out all the bugs...anyone?

I have the slip steamer 66. There are some threads on here about it.
here is one:
viewtopic.php?t=8900&highlight=slip+streamer