attaching patches to jacket

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

basmith42

attaching patches to jacket

Post by basmith42 »

Has anyone used patch attach or other fabric glues to attach patches to your jacket?

How did it work out for ya?
Me- Italiano named Gizmo. Wife- Pamplona named Scarlet and Vespa GTS250 named Nacho
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Frabri-tac seems to work fine for me on my Corazzo hoody.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Billy Mays Mighty Mendit

coke straw not included
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

Ray Knobs wrote:Billy Mays Mighty Mendit

coke straw not included
thats just mean.. i still don't think it's true. he was my hero! :cry:
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=11335
Lots of different advice.

I prefer Liquid Stitch. I've used it on Cordura and ridden in countless rainstorms and patch is still affixed tightly.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Ray Knobs wrote:Billy Mays Mighty Mendit

coke straw not included
HERE'S HOW TO ORDER!
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Rusty Todd here... Saying coke or no coke the Billy Mays is awesome.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

toddrw2251 wrote:Rusty Todd here... Saying coke or no coke the Billy Mays is awesome.
I'm all for vince from slap chop now, look how cool he is in this video!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWRyj5cHIQA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWRyj5cHIQA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

siobhan wrote:I prefer Liquid Stitch. I've used it on Cordura and ridden in countless rainstorms and patch is still affixed tightly.
I may have to un-do my hack sew jobs on my patches and give this a try instead. Any special advice for adhering to Cordura?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

siobhan wrote:Take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=11335
Lots of different advice.

I prefer Liquid Stitch. I've used it on Cordura and ridden in countless rainstorms and patch is still affixed tightly.
Do you just trace an outline on the back of the patch where the thread would go? Or did you cover the entire patch with the stuff?

I'll have to try this too -- I attempted to sew on my SPAZ patch onto my Corazzo Max but it was just too tough to do correctly.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ericalm wrote:
siobhan wrote:I prefer Liquid Stitch. I've used it on Cordura and ridden in countless rainstorms and patch is still affixed tightly.
I may have to un-do my hack sew jobs on my patches and give this a try instead. Any special advice for adhering to Cordura?
Ok, here goes:
* I place the upside down patch on a piece of tinfoil.
* I cover the back in a layer of the stuff, not a thick, oozing layer, but a thin coat. I make sure it is entirely covered.
* I get as close to the edge as humanly possible (hence the tinfoil).
* I place the patch against the fabric and press it all around (not too hard, don't want the glue squishing out). I want it to adhere completely, no bubbles behind it. I probably held it for a couple of minutes. As long as I could bear being away from my computer.
* I then let it sit for at least 24 hours.

Oh, and the patches had a thickish, plasticky backing. I don't know if that makes a difference. I think it has that so the patch won't shrink if you ever wash whatever you've put it on.

My fingers are too nibbled on to use a needle to get through the thick fabric of both the patch and the Cordura. Not that I have a problem...

Cheers!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks for the tips, siobhan!

The plastic-y backing: Not the adhesive for ironing the patches on?

I pre-wash my patches so any shrinkage occur before I place them.

Off to the fabric store!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Siobhan, a little off topic, but your avatar kept appearing on the side of lorries when I was back in Ireland last week. Mr Tayto, Irelands best crisp. I assume with your username you have some Irish connections.
Sorry to OP for high jacking this post.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I pre-wash my patches so any shrinkage occur before I place them.
Patches get shrinkage? Really?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Irishrover wrote:Siobhan, a little off topic, but your avatar kept appearing on the side of lorries when I was back in Ireland last week. Mr Tayto, Irelands best crisp. I assume with your username you have some Irish connections.
I thought no one would ever know it on this list! Yep, that's Mr Tayto and I get them delivered once a year from a guy in New York who imports the special Christmas box. I don't eat a lot of junk food, but it's simply not Christmas without cheese & onion Taytos! I've spent a lot of time in Cork, and I'm planning a m/c tour next summer starting up in County Down through the North and then down the west coast. Are you Scottish or Irish?

Back to the regularly scheduled topic.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I am Scottish with Irish parents. Have a house in Donegal and travel frequently over the Irish sea hence "Irishrover". Never been to Cork, but plan on doing a tour on the G-Max around Southern Ireland. Slan.

siobhan wrote:
Irishrover wrote:Siobhan, a little off topic, but your avatar kept appearing on the side of lorries when I was back in Ireland last week. Mr Tayto, Irelands best crisp. I assume with your username you have some Irish connections.
I thought no one would ever know it on this list! Yep, that's Mr Tayto and I get them delivered once a year from a guy in New York who imports the special Christmas box. I don't eat a lot of junk food, but it's simply not Christmas without cheese & onion Taytos! I've spent a lot of time in Cork, and I'm planning a m/c tour next summer starting up in County Down through the North and then down the west coast. Are you Scottish or Irish?

Back to the regularly scheduled topic.