Scarebear? My new scoot!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Scarebear? My new scoot!

Post by Lostmycage »

I had to share. Here's a crappy phone pic of my new scoot that I pick up this weekend. It's a 2008 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie. Turns out a car dealership a little north of town decided to get in on the scooter boom at the end of 2008. They didn't sell that many and decided to just get rid of all the Piaggio bikes that they carried. Lots of good deals, most near the dealer cost. I got mine for half the new cost. It literally was too good to pass up (this one was almost a grand less than a heavily discounted GTS 250) and it was the last one too. Unfortunately, this means I've got to let the Blur go. Hopefully this Spring I can convince my wife to reconsider a Buddy for herself. In the meantime, we can now comfortably both ride on both bikes that will remain in the stable.

It's a dark blue, and not the purple that my devious cell phone is trying to make it look like. I've decided to call it "Scarebear" because that's a lot easier to pronounce than Scarabeo. Also it was what my wife thought I said when I first pronounced Scarabeo, it was funny enough to stick. That'll teach her to half pay attention!
Last edited by Lostmycage on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Nice! What a great find! And at xmas too :) Time to start planning a 500cc road trip!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

very nice. the aprilia and BV are the only giant scooters I like. Since I have been at gps 76 and not full throttle on the GTS , I cannot invision needing more power at this point, but if I did I would be looking at these. it sounds like you got a great deal too.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Thats one of the few large scoots that I've fallen in love with. I'm envious. :) Sweet find!
BeachBuzz

Re: [NBR] What the what?! Another scooter?

Post by BeachBuzz »

Lostmycage wrote:Unfortunately, this means I've got to let the Blur go.
:cry: dont do it - you have 3 entirely different rides - dont compromise your options now. You know you want to keep the Blur :!:

there's a plan coming together on the BurgmanUSA board for a scooter rally/tour of the eastern shore, DelMarVa area, in the spring. You should try to make it. I'd love to see the 'Bo' in the wild
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

BeachBuzz wrote: :cry: dont do it - you have 3 entirely different rides - dont compromise your options now. You know you want to keep the Blur :!:

there's a plan coming together on the BurgmanUSA board for a scooter rally/tour of the eastern shore, DelMarVa area, in the spring. You should try to make it. I'd love to see the 'Bo' in the wild
I know that, and you know that... But the wife says "no". I can justify the MC and the Scoot as two different vehicles for different uses, but not two scoots. Unless I can convince her to ride (not likely, at least not till spring). I don't think she cares for the looks of the Blur, so unfortunately it goes on the chopping block as part of the deal.

I've mentioned it before, but I really want to share the whole riding thing with my wife (that was one of the motivating factors behind the larger bike migration). I can only do that with a bike that'll comfortably carry the both of us for the distances that we want to ride too. The Blur handles us great for short trips, but after the Rally a month or so back, 2-up on the Blur just didn't work after a day or three.

There's no rush on the Blur going yet, since it's cold weather outside, there's little chance of selling it for what it's worth (since no one is looking) so it's sticking around till Spring. I'm just going to have to figure out what to do with all the parts, lol. I'm a performance packrat!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:I'm just going to have to figure out what to do with all the parts, lol. I'm a performance packrat!
You could always sell anything that would fit my Buddy to me ;) Not that MY wife thinks I need to make that thing any faster.... But what does she know? :P
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

Lostmycage wrote:I can only do that with a bike that'll comfortably carry the both of us for the distances that we want to ride too. The Blur handles us great for short trips, but after the Rally a month or so back, 2-up on the Blur just didn't work after a day or three.

There's no rush on the Blur going yet, since it's cold weather outside, there's little chance of selling it for what it's worth (since no one is looking) so it's sticking around till Spring. I'm just going to have to figure out what to do with all the parts, lol. I'm a performance packrat!
I hear you brother - that's why she got her own and I converted the Blur saddle to a solo 8)

What 'parts' are you holding on to? The Prima pipe and the NCY rotor?

Not sure I want to put anymore 'performance' into my Blur since it's primary function is to get me back and forth to work on a daily basis - and I'm not really using the full potential of the 'stuff' I have on it now. I just upgraded to sliders (11g I think) and what the shop called a 'performance spring', again I'm not sure what spring it is, other that the red one. Carb was up-jetted too.

What I have found so far is that it is definately quicker off the line and through the range of acceleration. Noticeably more power climbing hills - very nice.

It revs higher at WOT, around 9k up from 8k before, no doubt due to lighter sliders. My top end seems to have dropped from 65 to 58-59. Not necessarily happy about that but I'll live with it since I rarely push it that hard anyway. Maybe when we go for rides together, but most of the time I'm waiting for Mrs anyway. It even seems to sound better - I dont think anything was done to enhance the sound - no air intake changes, no exhaust changes but the rumble seems to be a little throatier and maybe a little louder. I'll have to ride along side Mrs to see if the Buddy still drowns out the Blur. I may reconsider more mods after the winter, when more opportunity to ride the Blur for fun present themselves.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'll make a separate post on all the Blur stuff later on. I've got to inventory it, but it's quite a lot.

As far as your mods, they put a 2k spring in, which is where your top speed went too. Your gas mileage has gone down, but you get the hill climbing and acceleration in exchange. The throatier sound is just it operating at a higher RPM across the board. You've now got it tuned for city sprinting, which is what the Blur feels like it was meant to do. :)

It suddenly occured to me (I just got back from the bank) that I got the Scarebear for less than I paid for the Buddy 150 when I bought it new.

This is what I feel like:
chelsea
Dealer

Post by chelsea »

dear lostmycage,

you are very welcome.

your friend,
chelsea
(hehe)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

chelsea wrote:dear lostmycage,

you are very welcome.

your friend,
chelsea
(hehe)
Lol, thanks Chelsea! I wouldn't have even known about these without you. You can ride the Scarebear. :D
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

You got the Beo 500ie! It sounds like you got a great deal, too. Schweeet! Hope you enjoy it a lot.

I don't know what to say about that car dealer. I went by there when they first picked up the Piaggio franchise and the sales guy didn't even know how to start an auto scooter. I kinda figured they weren't in the scooter biz for the long haul. :roll: Anyways, glad it worked out great for you.

When it gets warm again, let's ride!
Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hehe, yeah! The sales guy was super nice, but he didn't know much about it. I took care of that part for him. :lol:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Damned snow! I'm going to have to wait till Monday to pick it up now. There was about an inch of snow on the ground when I left work yesterday which meant picking up a new scoot would just be an unnecessary risk. The did title, tag, wash and fill up the tank for me, though. So it should be all ready to go on Monday... weather permitting.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:Damned snow! I'm going to have to wait till Monday to pick it up now. There was about an inch of snow on the ground when I left work yesterday which meant picking up a new scoot would just be an unnecessary risk. The did title, tag, wash and fill up the tank for me, though. So it should be all ready to go on Monday... weather permitting.
Wow, that sucks. I'd be itching to go try it out! :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The test ride just made that itch worse. Meanwhile... it's still snowing and there's easily a foot on the ground. That's pretty rare for Richmond.

Mean while, <a href="http://www.snorgtees.com/scarebear-p-510.html">I think I've found a shirt to go along with it. </a>
Rob

Post by Rob »

Very nice LMC. Had I not decided to get the motorcycle, the Scarabeo 500 would have been in my immediate future. As someone else said, it's one of the few large scoots that look good, IMHO.

It sounds as though you also got a great deal. If I was still in the market, and if your dealer still had any left, I think I would have been hooking up the trailer for a little road trip.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I actually just got back home from signing the paperwork and all that. Since the roads are still crapped up with salt and sludge and there's a film of road-spray in the air, they're going to deliver it tomorrow afternoon after I get home from work.

I wasn't really in the market for a new scooter either, just sorta keeping tabs on the market. I happened to be in the right place at the right time and found out that this place was getting rid of them. I saw the price and headed right over there. Even though I wasn't looking, I pretty much had to buy it. I was out the door with a brand new 08 Scarabeo 500 for less than the MSRP of a Blackjack. I'm pretty sure almost anyone else would have come to the same conclusion.

As for MC vs Scooter, well, I opted for both. Different tools for different jobs.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Such a good deal.

Wow!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:Such a good deal.

Wow!
That's why I'm so giddy. That's saying a lot because I'm not the giddy type. This thing makes me smile quite a bit.

It looks like a Buddy and a Vespa got together, got a little naughty, then experimented with growth hormones. Or a Vespa that ate another Vespa.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I had something waiting for me when I got home today. Actually, it was a couple of guys in a Sprinter van with something for me inside.

Baby got back:

Coyly looking away:

My Frosty Stable:

Dear snow, please stay off my lawn.

Oh, and in case I didn't make it clear earlier, Chelsea is friggin awesome! Speaking of which, I think I need to go get some stuff for this thing.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Sweet! I like the chrome muffler.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Saw a Scarabeo up close today, parked at Trader Joe's. Really sweet looking. You are in for some fun riding! Ho ho ho ...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

When we went to go look at it, it was parked in a back service bay. It was right there next to the door and my eyes caught it immeadiately. After swooning over the ergonomics, looks and power to weight for a little while, I asked the sales guy if I could take it for a test ride. While he was getting the keys, I started to look around a little and noticed the brand new Dodge Viper 4' in front of the Scarabeo. Then I noticed some nice GTS's next to the Scarabeo. Where did all those come from?!

Yeah, it's pretty sweet looking! :rolf:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Lostmycage wrote:As for MC vs Scooter, well, I opted for both. Different tools for different jobs.
Yeah, I would as well ... except I already have too many toys. I already have to leave my SUV out in the driveway. One more toy and my wife wouldn't have room to park her vehicle in the garage. I don't think I want to test those waters.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Well, I finally got that out of my system. Since I got the scoot it's just sat there under cover. It's either been the weather, or too much sand on the roads, or traveling out of town or the fact that my winter gloves are in a state of warranty trade out flux. Today was the first time I was able to ride the darn thing. My fingers, despite the glove liners and Goretex gloves, are pretty friggin cold and I only put about 30 miles on it, but I can say one thing about the Scarebear.

:shock: Wow!

Peppy isn't the word for it. Lithe is close, but it doesn't quite cover it either. Fast is accurate but not fitting. Fun. Yep, that's the word I was looking for.

Now that was a good start to the new year! 364 days left, I better make good use of them.

Here's to you and yours!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Hey LMC:

Was planning on taking a trip down your way next week with the new tool kit I got for Christmas (slide hammer, bolt cutters, assorted lock picks). Just post your address and approximate work hours, and I'll be sure to stop by.

Best of luck with the new ride, and I hate your guts.

:wink:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

charlie55 wrote:Hey LMC:

Was planning on taking a trip down your way next week with the new tool kit I got for Christmas (slide hammer, bolt cutters, assorted lock picks). Just post your address and approximate work hours, and I'll be sure to stop by.

Best of luck with the new ride, and I hate your guts.

:wink:
:rofl: Sorry Charlie!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:…I can say one thing about the Scarebear.

:shock: Wow!

Peppy isn't the word for it. Lithe is close, but it doesn't quite cover it either. Fast is accurate but not fitting. Fun. Yep, that's the word I was looking for.
Me: Jealous. If I put a new scoot in the stable this year, it's not likely to be this one. But I gotta tell you, the Beo 500 is pretty high on my list of moderns.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…