What's that squeak??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DIPA

What's that squeak??

Post by DIPA »

I noticed a squeak coming from the front tire when I was wheeling the Buddy back into the garage. I don't notice it at all when I'm riding, only when I'm walking it forward.

It's not a consistent squeak, just once every time the wheel makes a rotation. Scoot has about 1200 miles. Any ideas what it could be? Breaks mayhaps?
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Its the pads rubbing on the disc. I have the exact same thing with my scoot. If you listen closly at low speeds you will hear it then too. I was told not to worry about it. I think the next time I'm in the shop however, I'm gonna have them check it out. It seems like its egtting a bit worse but maybe I'm just being paranoid.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Usually it's just a little dust or dirt in the brakes. If you don;t notice any change in braking power, then it's probably okay. A shop can clean it or blow it out, but it'll probably just come back.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

hmmmm, same thing here.
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

If you've hit 4,500 miles you may need new brake pads. I did recently.
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Mine's doing it at 450 miles
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Most likely is as ericalm said buildup of dust,,, try blowing it out... if no workie buy some brake cleaner and wash it down being careful to watch for overspray use rags to protect finish of everything.... If you can have someone work the brake as you wash it down. Use eye protection and rubber or latex gloves. I have to do this most often on my bike for i brake hard. Let it sit a min. and wash it down again. Sometimes the pistons get stickie and need extra cleaning, now your getting into removing the brake caliper itself. Its not an easy job, and most should stop at this point and take it back to the shop. It also could be that it just need re-tighten to specs.

For us with redneck Get-R-Done education

Take caliper off be very careful with wheel bearings not to get brake cleaner on them. Check pads for replacement. Most calipers iv seen on scooters the piston will slide out, there might be some that do not come all the way out. Be very careful... The pistons sometimes gets rust and dust caked on them as well as the cylinder the piston rides in. I use emerycloth 100 grade or higher to clean it up the piston along with brake cleaner if a good rag will not remove. DO NOT GO CROSS WAYS OF THE MOVEMENT OF THE PISTON!!! Being careful not to scratch the piston...If your at this point use a toothbrush to get into the cracks of the rest of the caliper. the piston should be clean and free to move both ways. DO NOT INGAGE THE BRAKE LEAVER WHILE CALIPER IS OFF DISK!!! Check rotor for warping and groving use your fingernail to feel if there are groves in the rotor, if so replace rotor. Use nothing else but brake clean on any part of the braking system... Using anything may cause brake failure... NO OIL OR LUBE OF ANY KIND SHOULD BE USED ON ANY BRAKE PART... Make sure you tighten all bolts and nuts to specs. Many times bearings are damaged from over tighting. Making sure all parts are moving as they should...Once back together give it another cleaning with the brake cleaner. Roll bike back and forth to check braking befor you test ride to make sure there in good working order...

Test brakes at very low speeds on dry pavement.

Be very careful with brakes, if you think something might be wrong then its best to have someone else check it out.

One of the two big crashes in my life on a bike was caused by front brake failure due to improper care and being stupid.

If you dont know what your doing dont do it...

This is how i get-r-done and my be overlooked...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
DIPA

Post by DIPA »

kooky scientist wrote:If you've hit 4,500 miles you may need new brake pads. I did recently.
I was wondering what the approximate brake life is for the Buddy. I'm sure it depends on the type of riding you do. I tend to ride pretty hard, most of my riding is 50 BMPH+. But I try to do everything like braking & accelerating smoooothly.

At least I know my squeaking isn't anything serious. I'm not gonna start taking anything apart.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

"At least I know my squeaking isn't anything serious. I'm not gonna start taking anything apart."

If your squeaking is brakes. Brakes that drag overheat, overheated brakes can grab and cause a lockup.
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
kazigami

same thing here...

Post by kazigami »

I also was getting sqeaking from my front tire. today on the way to work when i braked it was just a really rough metal sound. Are the brake pads even there anymore??? it does brake really good but it sounded really bad :(
PM me if want to ride around Denver :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

DIPA wrote:
kooky scientist wrote:If you've hit 4,500 miles you may need new brake pads. I did recently.
I was wondering what the approximate brake life is for the Buddy. I'm sure it depends on the type of riding you do. I tend to ride pretty hard, most of my riding is 50 BMPH+. But I try to do everything like braking & accelerating smoooothly.

At least I know my squeaking isn't anything serious. I'm not gonna start taking anything apart.
I'll disagree here. I've got 20.5k miles on my original brake pads, and they've still got a fair bit of life left in them.
kazigami

Post by kazigami »

I'm only at 1825 miles. I do use the brakes a lot as I'm always dealing with a lot of traffic. I'm going to blast them out with some compressed air and see if it helps any.
PM me if want to ride around Denver :)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Haven't noticed it on mine and wonder if maybe its because I ride in the rain a lot. Wet weather maybe washes the dust away?
walky08

squeaky noise same as hissing noise?

Post by walky08 »

This might be what I call "hissing" around the tires I hear and my scoot is brand new. Query "hissing" or my posts.