Are buddy 125/150's a GY6?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tbonestone

Are buddy 125/150's a GY6?

Post by tbonestone »

Like the subject states, Are the buddy 125 and 150 engines based on the GY6? I will admit, i dont own a buddy, but i did get to make a blackjack mine for a few weekends. I currently have a honda ruckus that i love, however the blackjack was a hoot! I'd like to meld the two together using a buddy motor on a custom engine mount to my ruckus.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know of a wrecked buddy in the chicago area? Salvage yards dont want to talk scooters with me.

Tbonestone.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

The Buddy engine is based on the GY6 but there are several variations from the mainland China versions. Not all parts are interchangable. Pistons, wristpins and others.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Yes, the Buddy 125 and 150 are GY6 152/157 QMI/QMJ variants. They're bolth GY6 variants, but have slight variations on the more common China based GY6's(and eachother).most GY6 stuff fits them though. If you had anything specific you were thinking of, feel free to ask. There are quite a few people here(myself included) that have tried a LOT of GY6 parts on the Buddy's.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

olhogrider wrote:The Buddy engine is based on the GY6 but there are several variations from the mainland China versions. Not all parts are interchangable. Pistons, wristpins and others.
Just to throw this out there... The wrist pins and pistons ARE interchangable *IF* you get the right GY6 variant :) There are 4 different piston and wrist pin combos. The 150 and 125 *DON'T* use the same combo either!
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

Well honestly, i'm not looking to go really nuts with anything. I like that the buddy motors are pretty reliable. At least more reliable than a questionable chinese made motor. A lot of the ruckus guys are swapping chinese motors into their japanese bikes. I'd much rather have something built to last. In my scooters i expect them to go, and go reliably (within reason)

Now to find a wrecked buddy. :twisted:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

tbonestone wrote:Well honestly, i'm not looking to go really nuts with anything. I like that the buddy motors are pretty reliable. At least more reliable than a questionable chinese made motor. A lot of the ruckus guys are swapping chinese motors into their japanese bikes. I'd much rather have something built to last. In my scooters i expect them to go, and go reliably (within reason)

Now to find a wrecked buddy. :twisted:
Heh, the Buddy's GY6 would be a wicked motor swap. It'd fit with the existing GY6 swap kits, since it uses the same mounts, and would be far more reliable and likely faster. The Buddy motor is quite noticably faster than the same size Chinese GY6.