How do you clean or wash your Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

How do you clean or wash your Buddy?

Post by Portland_Rider »

This may be an overly simple personal post.

Unlike cars with their encased steel body and little chance of electronics getting wet, scoots and Buddys are different.

I'm wondering what Buddy owners are using to clean their scoots. What types (or names) of commercial cleaners are you using and which avoiding? While generally listed on the cleaners what they can be used on and what not to use the cleaner on I've sometimes noticed that certain ones that are say supposedly good on some household plastic might be lousy on a Buddy's plastic body.

While I've gently used a hose on some areas of the Buddy I avoid the area where wires or cables are visable, etc.

So how are you bathing your little Buddy?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Rain.

If it gets really bad, I shoot on Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. Wipe off. Used for all surfaces, metal, plastic, rubber. Never the whole bike at once. Too much trouble. :wink:
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

If I wash it I use soap, water and hose. Same as washing a car, but I don't blast it directly with the jet, I use a more gentle spray.
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

car wash soap, cotton towels

simple green and a soft bristle brush for engine / tire grime

hose the whole thing down, you can get everything wet, you don't want to use pressure and blast water into bearings and electrical fittings
Vic

Post by Vic »

Plexus does great on nearly all of the surfaces of a Buddy.

I am not terribly impressed with how it does on the interior plastic of the Sunset, but I have issues with the interior plastic as it is anyway and since I am considering some "rattle can magic" over the winter I have not done a lot with it.

Last fall I also used some stuff called Ice, I think it is made by Turtlewax but it specifically says that it is good for use on plastic and does not leave a film on plastic. It seemed to do a good job.

-v
Moosy

Post by Moosy »

I really don't actually. Sometimes I'll wipe the mirrors and instrument display if they get REALLY dirty, but otherwise I don't see any reason to clean it.
narcoleptic

Post by narcoleptic »

I "cleaned" my buddy for the first time yesterday. All I really did was use Green Works spray and an old tshirt to get off any bird poo and whatnot. Then I used some steel wool to get rid of rust on the chrome and used WD-40 on another piece of tshirt to rub down the chrome. I kind of like it to look like it's ridden. :)
hal1

Post by hal1 »

microfiber cloth and detailer/quick-wax (spray stuff)
uswedl41

Post by uswedl41 »

Lemon Pledge.

I use it on everything on the scoot, it works excellent!
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

uswedl41 wrote:Lemon Pledge.

I use it on everything on the scoot, it works excellent!
And it smells lemony fresh. :D

I use a bug solvent (orange clean) to get the stubborn bugs off. Wipe off the orange clean with a wet cloth then dry with my chamois. Sparkling clean in less than 10 minutes.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I get caught in the rain sometimes. I wash my car the same way.
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

Windex. Thats right. Windex and paper towels. You see, I live somewhere where it never rains. Second in the world for sunlight. (aka, no clouds). Also, the local government can't seem to raise money for new roads, so I am never driving over fresh tar. I have no need to remove anything more than a light dusting and finger prints.
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I wash mine like I wash my car: hose it down, lather it up with car wash and a sponge, hose it down again, then wipe it dry with a chamois. Pretty simple really. There's nothing there that can't get wet...unless you stick the hose right into the air filter inlet or into the exhaust pipe (although a little bit of water in there won't hurt anything either).
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

Good suggestions. Thanks everyone for contributing.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I've had mine for a little over a year now and only actually "washed" it twice. I used the same method I use for my cars: auto wash soap and a soft cloth.

I clean it often with Windex on the plastic, chrome and glass and Simple Green on the wheels. I use a whitewall bleach on the tires every once in a while.

I might now check-in to this Plexus I have heard about. I did use a spray detailer on it once which worked great.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.