Scooter rage: I did the wrong thing again

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

So I was coming home from my grad class today and this car was kinda riding my arse but I was almost at the left turn lane so I didn't think too much of it. All of a sudden they gunned it, rolled down thier window and helled " get out of the way Fag--t!" Well, I promised myself I wouldn't get upset the next time something like this happened and I really tried to just let it go, but as I got closer to thier car (they were stopped at the red light) I found myself getting more and more upset until I was flipping them off, yelling at them and trying to get them to get out of thier car! how stupid! I really don't know why I react this way, I'm a smart guy and I know that (car weight) > (scooter weight) and if I had pissed them off they could have killed me. Oh well, I will try to keep my kool next time. Hopefuly I'll have better luck ignoring the next arse hole I encounter, we all know there are pleanty of them so I should be able to get pleanty of practcie.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Glad to hear they didn't get out of the car, don't beat yourself up about it though, it happens as you say there is a world full of potential sparring partners. It's taken quite along time for me to ease my anti cager rage, from riding a bicycle, I still find it hard to walk away when somebody gets in my face about there mistakes, take it in stride and keep riding. Don't let the bastards get you down, you know sweat and small stuff, or sumfin. :oops:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Good thing they didn't call you a stamp collector or something! Point is, without a sign hanging off your scooter that announces what you do with your time when you're intimate how would they know what you preffer? Regardless of what you do how does it involve them? Did their day get any better or worse by assuming your status? Ignore the ignorant, you only get 24hrs a day so don't waste it on morons with nothing good to do but hurl insults. I'm not pro or anti whatchawanttobe just anti-arse*ole :x I just hope my two kids grow up tolerant of all peoples and can avoid jerks like those guys as much as possible.
EZPZ #65
Vic

Post by Vic »

Well, you gave them exactly what they wanted.

May I suggest anger management classes?

Good luck,
-v
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

That's why I always carry a brick.

Also, that tray behind the leg shield. It's perfect for a bag full of assorted screws.

Not that you should read anything into this.
hal1

Post by hal1 »

Vic wrote:Well, you gave them exactly what they wanted.
Agreed. the way to p-ss them off is to show them that they didn't p-ss you off.

When my son is teased by his older brother, I tell him to say back "oh, that's sooo cute" and walk away or just continue with what he was doing. the older one goes berzerk that he's not getting a reaction.
cmac

Post by cmac »

That's why every scooter should be modded like this!
Scoot Cannon!

Image[/b]
fobbish

Post by fobbish »

I lost it today against a fat guy in an old mercedes today too. Shame on me...
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Do you guys think these people are yelling at scooter drivers out of principle (just cuz we're scooter pilots), or because we're moving slowly?

I've been riding my scoot with the flow of traffic (if on one lane roads), or slightly faster than traffic (two lanes). People seem to be OK. So far.
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Although I answer most posts with how one should stay calm, and avoid situations, in reality sometimes I think my finger has a mind of its own. :roll: I think, or I would like to think, that at least recognizing the stupidity of the situation is half the battle (I am mostly referring to myself here, but feel free to apply it to yourself if you think it fits) I am getting better as I get older, although sometimes I wonder if that isn't simply because I know that in a physical contest I am more likely to lose than when I was younger, stronger, and a hell of a lot faster (you know, for running away) :wink:

Glad you are alright. Shall we make a pact to try not to get the crap beat out of us. :D
Keys

Post by Keys »

Personally, I would welcome them exiting their car...all this training has to be good for something....

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm not going to post what I would do, but rather what I would do if I were meek... or sane.

Drive away. Ride away. However you want to say it or do it. Avoid confrontation, which is normally possible. The laws of physics are against you, since you're on a much smaller vehicle (size and weight). Use your horn to let them know they're in the wrong, but past that, let them speed on their way and get into whatever trouble they're bound for in the first place.

The farther an offensive driver is in front of you, the more room you have to get out of the way and avoid. We're not driving tanks here. We've got agility and moderate acceleration and that's about it. Do what you will, just weight the pros and cons accordingly.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Syd

Post by Syd »

This only really works when multiple twits are in the car, but can work on a lone driver too.

Flip up your face shield, smile lick your lips, and tell the driver (and obviously just the driver) you're free - again - tonight.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Happens to the best of us sometimes, just gotta learn from it and move on and do better next time.

I don't get it, though, how is a guy on a scooter anything like a bundle of sticks? Did you have a bunch of kindling strapped to your rack?

I love when you're doing twice the speed limit and people are riding your a**, or better yet, they just pass you on the right at a stoplight (chicago favorite move, currently being beat out by the "turn left into oncoming traffic really fast when the light turns green" move) and then almost hit you as they swerve back into your lane, not realizing that your 125cc scooter has 3x the acceleration of their 1996 hoopty Cavalier with no taillights and a forged temporary tag.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Typically, if they get out of the car they'll be picking up the weapon hiding in the floorboards first. If you're lucky, it's a baseball bat or tire iron. If you're not...it's a gun. Either way is going to hurt like hell.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Oh to live in Paris were there are more scoots than cars and scoots normally cut up other scoots in a friendly way.
TVB

Re: Scooter rage: I did the wrong thing again

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:So I was coming home from my grad class today and this car was kinda riding my arse....
Maybe if you spelled it "ass" like a real American, they'd respect you enough to leave you alone. ;)
Syd wrote:This only really works when multiple twits are in the car, but can work on a lone driver too.
Flip up your face shield, smile lick your lips, and tell the driver (and obviously just the driver) you're free - again - tonight.
Whenever someone calls me a "f*ggot" I try to thank them, or at least point out that while true, it's beside the point. But that's just me.

Although I happen to be a huge fan of the middle finger, when I get into a confrontation with someone else on the road I try to go with an alternate gesture: putting my thumb on my nose (or corresponding point on the face shield) and wiggling my fingers at them. It's belittling without being confrontational.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

illnoise wrote:Happens to the best of us sometimes, just gotta learn from it and move on and do better next time.

I don't get it, though, how is a guy on a scooter anything like a bundle of sticks? Did you have a bunch of kindling strapped to your rack?

I love when you're doing twice the speed limit and people are riding your a**, or better yet, they just pass you on the right at a stoplight (chicago favorite move, currently being beat out by the "turn left into oncoming traffic really fast when the light turns green" move) and then almost hit you as they swerve back into your lane, not realizing that your 125cc scooter has 3x the acceleration of their 1996 hoopty Cavalier with no taillights and a forged temporary tag.

Bb.
Thats the one that always gets me. When they act like I'm going slow BECAUSE I'm on a scooter. 9 times out of 10, I'm quite a bit faster than they are.
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

you can carry pepper spray. or a really offensive bumper sticker. pull up behind them, and apply it directly to a metal part of their car.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Having spent most of my life in the company of other armed individuals, I have learned the literal truth of the statement, "An armed society is a polite society." I can happily ignore stupid, insulting comments and feel at peace with myself, knowing that I alway have available the means to instantly destroy the commenter.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

PeterC wrote:Having spent most of my life in the company of other armed individuals, I have learned the literal truth of the statement, "An armed society is a polite society." I can happily ignore stupid, insulting comments and feel at peace with myself, knowing that I alway have available the means to instantly destroy the commenter.

:clap:
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

PeterC wrote:Having spent most of my life in the company of other armed individuals, I have learned the literal truth of the statement, "An armed society is a polite society." I can happily ignore stupid, insulting comments and feel at peace with myself, knowing that I alway have available the means to instantly destroy the commenter.
What would even make you think of "destroying" someone because they said something mean to you? Are you that insecure that everything is a matter of whether or not to pull out a weapon?
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

digital-entropy wrote: What would even make you think of "destroying" someone because they said something mean to you? Are you that insecure that everything is a matter of whether or not to pull out a weapon?
Thinking about it is only human nature, acting upon it is another.

You want to give this guy grief because he recognizes the responsibility of carrying a firearm and give a pass to the guy that losses his shizit over a name calling?
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

Ray Knobs wrote:
digital-entropy wrote: What would even make you think of "destroying" someone because they said something mean to you? Are you that insecure that everything is a matter of whether or not to pull out a weapon?
Thinking about it is only human nature, acting upon it is another.

You want to give this guy grief because he recognizes the responsibility of carrying a firearm and give a pass to the guy that losses his shizit over a name calling?
We know the original poster loses his cool easily, and have been down that road before. What he got the first time he posted was anything but a pass.

I just find it slightly perverse that when called a name the immediate thought is that he has the means to destroy the person if he so desired. Even if the weapon is never brandished openly I would call it an overreaction.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

If you think it's necessary to carry a lethal weapon to defend your moped, fine, but we're not starting that argument again.

That topic is entirely verboten on this list, please don't open that can of worms.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

On the positive side, if you have caused someone to yell and cuss at you because of your riding style, speed, etc, be happy. You have succeeded in ruining someone's day and brought them down to earth from their warm and fuzzy cloud looking down on their perfect world through rose colored glasses.
It is a good thing. They must learn to cope with the real world and you are helping them.

Now, go out and hone those newly acquired skills.

Ya see, its all in how you look at it.
Vic

Post by Vic »

hal1 wrote:
Agreed. the way to p-ss them off is to show them that they didn't p-ss you off.

When my son is teased by his older brother, I tell him to say back "oh, that's sooo cute" and walk away or just continue with what he was doing. the older one goes berzerk that he's not getting a reaction.
Yup, my 11 yr old daughter is usually the one trying to get attention, a little more than a year ago my 14 yr old son figured out that the most effective way to get her was to look at her and smile very sweetly and say, "Thank you" :bat: and then walk away, still smiling. :P

It quite literally makes her crazy. She turns all pink in her face and her cheeks get really red and you can almost see her trying to find an excuse, ANY excuse to vent her frustration... and finding absolutely none. Instead of getting a big brother in trouble, she looks like a little brat and he is back to totally ignoring her in a great big FAIL!

I mean how much of an insecure ignoramous do you have to be to go yelling slurs at a dude that is secure enough to go riding around on a scooter?

Makes me wonder what he is compensating for.

-v
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

digital-entropy wrote: I just find it slightly perverse that when called a name
If i get called a name by a group of guys in a moving car while i am on my bike it doesn't matter what that name is, my 1st thought is my safety. I assume these people are looking for a confrontation. Nice people don't roll down the window to hurl slurs.

I don't find self preservation perverse. No one would agree shooting them in the head is the answer, but revenge is sweet even if it's only in your head.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

May I suggest anger management classes?

Good luck,
-v
I totaly agree and this was why I was so iritated at my reaction. I'm sure that the best response would have been not to respond at all. Unfortunatley with the classes I teach and the grad classes I take there just isn't anymore room for anger managment classes:) I just keep telling myself, next time I'll just remind myself that they are probably just pissed off cause they get lousey gas milage and they arn't having any fun stuck in thier cages like retarded gerbils.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I've been fortunate not to be hassled yet. Oh, I've had people whip around me when I'm doing better than the speed limit. Must be some kind of ego deflater to be behind a SCOOTER!!!!! I've tried to prepare myself for any rude remarks or behavior.

My plan is to pretend not to be able to hear a word they are saying...smile broadly...wave real friendly...using all my fingers, not just one....and keep moving.

Well....thats my plan. I hope I can stick to it :roll:
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Oddly enough, people tend to regard you with a lot more respect if you're all geared out. Gear, despite it's over cautious nature, lends a lot to the perceived seriousness of intent of the rider.

That translates to a lot less aggressive passing, cut-offs and comments. It's a sort of hidden reward for wearing full gear - it makes you look more bad-ass. That shoulder armor makes me look like the hulk and the jacket helps emphasize my size (thankfully in the arms and not the belly!).

I'm not trying to preach ATGATT, but it does have it's advantages, even the subtle, perception only ones. All-the-badass-all-the-time (ATBAATT!)... I'll gladly preach bad-ass over safety nerdiness. It's just happenstance that they coincide so well. :lol:
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Realistically, those people that whip around us and tailgate us even when we are going over the speed limit would probably do that even if we we driving a car. They just don't have the mental capacity to realize that if they hit another car going the same direction as them it's not a matter of life or death like it would be if they hit us.

Unfortunately, common sense is very uncommon today....
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: Scooter rage: I did the wrong thing again

Post by Lostmycage »

michelle_7728 wrote:Unfortunately, common sense is very uncommon today....
That's the most unfortunate aspect of our society of late, sadly. It requires us to be extra vigilant in our outings. Thank goodness we have agility on our side. All the more reason to practice in a parking lot, no?
Sleepy_Dave

Post by Sleepy_Dave »

My suggestion, and I'm sure anyone in the law enforcement community would agree with me, would be to immediately get their plate number, pull over, get on your phone, and call the cops, 911, immediately. Report them for reckless driving and menacing.

Do not engage them in any way. Make distance and call it in. Most important thing is to call them immediately, and have a decent idea of where they are, what direction they are heading, and try to get descriptions of the occupants. Plate number, make, model, and approximate year. Describe to the dispatcher in as much detail as possible what they did.

They can get a ticket, and if you can press charges, do so. They could very well go to jail.
laxer

Post by laxer »

It's drives me nuts when people drive stupidly, especially when it's overagressive and they just get stuck at the next light anyway. I mean, you're putting my life at risk, your life at risk, other driver's lives at risk, all because you want to FEEL like you're getting somewhere one minute faster? REALLY!!??
easy

Post by easy »

i act like i dont here them. I'm not letting some stupid ahole in my world. As far as the ones that speed by just to get stoped at traffic lights I've been diving semitrucks since 92. I'm good at timing lights and keeping my momentium and just blow by them. Doing that to sportcars makes my day
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Some times I think nice guys finish last! Yesterday a car pulled into my lane after almost hitting my wife who was in front of me and then forcing me between the curb and him. I hit the horn just in time for him to go back into his lane. I watch drivers around me all of the time and he never looked just pulled into the lane. I just honked at him. Then on the way home we were in a left turn lane waiting for the traffic to go by and a Corvette crossed the lane almost hitting us as we were starting to make the left turn. The Needle Dick looked at my Wife and I and smiled...I replied: "You Fucked Up you Needle Dick", and we went on our way. It felt so good to let the Dick Weed know we didn't appreciate his driving. Sometimes you need to retaliate to a certain degree or the cagers will never learn.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:idea: I respond well to cognitive behavior therapy, so maybe a visible reminder will help you, too. Write a command word, like "calm" or "breathe" or "think" on some painter's tape with a permanent marker and place it on your headset. When you feel the road rage begin, take a look at your command and ruminate on it instead of the triggering actions of others.
ModBud #442
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

truth be told, I have almost lost it a few times. I don't anger easily, but when someone almost kills me due to carelessness, it gets under my skin. I have on rare occasion yelled at people before -ie "what the Heck (or F :oops: ) is wrong with you, you could have killed me" . I have tried to downgrade that to a very dirty stare and head shake.

IN this case, these people were just jeering at you, why should you let that get you so upset?

I am not joking when I say in agreement with others you consider some anger management or other therapy to get some mechanism to cope with these type of things. It is not healthy to harbor all that anger.
Last edited by peabody99 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Driving the hairy streets of Atlanta it's a trial most days keeping your cool. My method is to basically become a two wheeled Zen Master. I just breath easy, enjoy the ride, and remember that the morons who may yell at me aren't having nearly as much fun as I'm having. :D
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

polianarchy wrote::idea: I respond well to cognitive behavior therapy, so maybe a visible reminder will help you, too. Write a command word, like "calm" or "breathe" or "think" on some painter's tape with a permanent marker and place it on your headset. When you feel the road rage begin, take a look at your command and ruminate on it instead of the triggering actions of others.
Well I guess I better remove the "Monster" sticker from my headset :twisted:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I take comfort from the words of the Psalm, "Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the meanest mofo in the Valley."
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Try dealing with them on a bike - with No motor - and knowing it is the law and you are NOT breaking it.

Here is a link for cyclists just for these guys:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road- ... 323.1.html

We have not tried this yet is sounds exactly like the procedure our sons coach gave him when he started out years ago...
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

Ditto on the bicycle.
cars have a tendency to give even less respect when I am pedaling in/out of town. I had someone actually swerve over into my lane a few weeks back. I think the guy would have taken me out, had I not moved. He did it on purpose.

People don't "see" Scooters as motorcycles. I think they don't know what exactly they are, so they want to come around and pass. Ignorant, they may think they are mopeds.

But yes, stay calm, wave, smile, be a leader on the road, not the angry scooterist. IF I am riding my bicycle I am wearing our team clothing. Our sponsor is proudly placed on the front and back of our jersey's. It is certainly not in good taste for us to flip anyone the bird or try to make a car understand we have more rights than they do...car wins every time.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

PeterC wrote:I take comfort from the words of the Psalm, "Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the meanest mofo in the Valley."
Ahhh...... yes, the 'un-official' motto of Army Special Forces, something I've lived by for nearly 30 years.
However, being a 'Bad-ass' doesn't help much when some is trying to turn you into a UFO! (Unidentifyable Flattened Object)

I will take solice in knowing that I AM meaner, nastier and uglier that they should ever hope to want to be, but.......
Asburyjer

Post by Asburyjer »

PeterC wrote:I take comfort from the words of the Psalm, "Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the meanest mofo in the Valley."
I do, "Love your enemy." 8)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

My favorite is an old sparring battleground conversation that constantly repeated itself into a motto.

"The plan is: Don't Die. Watch their weapons. Wherever they're going...don't stand there." 8)