Am I the first person to get a speediong ticket on a 50cc??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kazigami

Am I the first person to get a speediong ticket on a 50cc??

Post by kazigami »

So crusing down a two-lane, one-way street where even though its marked 30mph everyone goes atleast 40mph. Now I guess I had just entered a school-zone and had a cop clock me at 34 in a 20mph zone. The damage: $190 dollars!!! Never thought I'd get a ticket on my little scoot. Good thing I like ramen! :(
PM me if want to ride around Denver :)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You're not the first, I have read other members riding 50cc bikes have been ticketed too in the past.

I like ramen too, maru-chan is good.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

tell the officer you have a 50cc scooter and it cant even go that fast lol
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Technically the buddy 50 is restricted to 30MPH, but even then downhill, angle, etc it can reach higher speeds up to 35-40MPH.
mjm1374

Post by mjm1374 »

I got tagged on my 50cc vino, doing 41 in a 20 zone, quite the dick since it was double the posted limit the fine tripled. $185 (oh and was being passed left and right too for some reason he picks me to pull over)
kazigami

Post by kazigami »

mjm1374 wrote:I got tagged on my 50cc vino, doing 41 in a 20 zone, quite the dick since it was double the posted limit the fine tripled. $185 (oh and was being passed left and right too for some reason he picks me to pull over)
I kinda felt that way too... I usually gotta haul or else get ran over. Usually I'm cruising around doing 40mph. Glad I wasn't yesterday :)
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Might be worth fighting since you can easily find documentation that your machine is restricted to 30mph and for him to clock you at 34 must be a malfunction of his equipment.
kazigami

hmm...

Post by kazigami »

Mines not really restricted though.. If it wasn't a 20mph school zone I would fight it. I gotta stop being such a speed demon! :)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Judges aren't very sympathetic when it comes to school zones. A good dose of humility and remorse will probably get you further than claiming equipment technicalities. $190 is tough.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

It wasn't a 50cc, but I got ticketed on my birthday last year doing 76 in a 55 on my Buddy. That sucked. :)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I got ticketed once for 158 in a 55. Was racing a new corvette on a deserted road in the middle of the night, blew by no less than 5 squad cars stopped at a gas station talking over their shift change. Every single officer signed the ticket.

Wouldn't normally be going that fast, but the guy in the corvette wanted to race, and we were dead even from green light to 150+, where I started inching away.

If we want to talk about things that suck, that is it. Lost my license for 8 months, and the corvette driver got his new vette impounded and went to jail. I was respectful to the cops and got to drive home that night.

No, this wasn't on my buddy 50 (lol), but I felt I needed to put these "I got a ticket for 10 over, man that sucks" posts into perspective.
hal1

Post by hal1 »

DennisD wrote:Judges aren't very sympathetic when it comes to school zones. A good dose of humility and remorse will probably get you further than claiming equipment technicalities. $190 is tough.
Yeah, school zones are hard. Most cops/judges really want to stop that.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

EDIT: Said something in the heat of the moment. Didn't belong here
Last edited by Lil Buddy on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Anachronism wrote:I got ticketed once for 158 in a 55. Was racing a new corvette on a deserted road in the middle of the night, blew by no less than 5 squad cars stopped at a gas station talking over their shift change. Every single officer signed the ticket.

Wouldn't normally be going that fast, but the guy in the corvette wanted to race, and we were dead even from green light to 150+, where I started inching away.

If we want to talk about things that suck, that is it. Lost my license for 8 months, and the corvette driver got his new vette impounded and went to jail. I was respectful to the cops and got to drive home that night.

No, this wasn't on my buddy 50 (lol), but I felt I needed to put these "I got a ticket for 10 over, man that sucks" posts into perspective.
Dude...what were you driving?

kazi, bad luck. It always seems so unfair when everyone is doing it, but you get stuck paying the fine.
Ray Knobs

Re: hmm...

Post by Ray Knobs »

kazigami wrote:Mines not really restricted though.. If it wasn't a 20mph school zone I would fight it. I gotta stop being such a speed demon! :)
doesn't matter, obviously the radar gun was faulty, how does he know you weren't doing 20mph
TVB

Post by TVB »

Ray Knobs wrote:Might be worth fighting since you can easily find documentation that your machine is restricted to 30mph and for him to clock you at 34 must be a malfunction of his equipment.
More likely the judge will turn around and say that if you were going 34mph, you were operating an unlicensed motorcycle, and slap you with a fine for that too. I've rehearsed the "but, officer, this thing can't go that fast" argument in my head a few times, but I don't think it'd be wise to use it.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

MARU-CHAN CREAMY CHICKEN FTW! :o

...what was this thread about again?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

This is the year of the traffic citation. Many major cities are attempting to shrink their budget shortfalls by issuing tickets. Same goes for the parking citations. Last year I was stopped in a Denver school zone (I'm typically extra careful in school zones but this was an unfamiliar road and I honestly had no idea I was in a school zone). I managed to talk the cop out of the school zone fine and he wrote me up for something minor. They're not doing that anymore but you can still take advantage of the early payment discount. Doesn't lower the cost much but it cuts the points in half.

Until this mindset changes, I'm being very obedient on the roads. I hardly ever speed and also bought a radar detector. At least one foot goes down at every 4 way stop. Dealing with traffic citations has always been a pain, now it's a war.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
DennisD

Re: hmm...

Post by DennisD »

Ray Knobs wrote: doesn't matter, obviously the radar gun was faulty, how does he know you weren't doing 20mph
:rofl: Ahh, the voice of inexperience. :rofl:
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I am just saying, you have a chance to win on this one since you can provide something that could cast a little doubt in the judges mind. It's not just your word against the cops.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

KRUSTYburger wrote:MARU-CHAN CREAMY CHICKEN FTW! :o

...what was this thread about again?
My friend in Tokyo says Maru-chan brand is crap compared to fresh cooked ramen. When I was a kid, during snack time in school, kids brought ramen packs, crushed the noodles, added powder, shake, eat like chips.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

kazigami, I for one applaud your honesty in not trying to fight it. If everyone would just take responsibility for their decisions instead of trying to weasel out of things or try to blame it on someone else, this would be a much better world.

I've ridden 41 in plenty of school zones, I'm sure, and been lucky, but they get ya once in a while, and it's time to be an adult and pay up.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

It's ok to openly defy a law and endanger little school children by doing 21mph over the speed limit in a school zone but it's not ok to be dishonest?

Think of the children man
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

There was a time I never drove without doubling every speed limit (many, many years ago) and I knew that was not the norm. And now on Buddy - I am amazed how in general everyone speeds. I am very aware of the speeds cars are going around me and wonder why more tickets are not written every day.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

illnoise wrote:kazigami, I for one applaud your honesty in not trying to fight it. If everyone would just take responsibility for their decisions instead of trying to weasel out of things or try to blame it on someone else, this would be a much better world.

I've ridden 41 in plenty of school zones, I'm sure, and been lucky, but they get ya once in a while, and it's time to be an adult and pay up.

Bb.
Wait a minute now. Its ok to have discussion on the evils of law enforcement and max speed of a 50cc and how to challenge and get around a law, but my goodness man, you have crossed the line when you start using the 'R' word. I mean, haven't you been paying attention in the last twenty years! Everything is always someone else's fault! :shock:

Please pardon the sarcasm, but I am big on owning up and paying the price. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against taking chances, breaking the law and doing dumb things. Do it all the time. But when called on it, I agree, its time to man up. I hate it when people obviously are wrong, know it and try to get out of it.
I am just saying, you have a chance to win on this one since you can provide something that could cast a little doubt in the judges mind. It's not just your word against the cops.
Interesting. So you are putting a price (the ticket) on the value of your word when you already know you are wrong? Hmmmm.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

yeah, i am an evil p.o.s. cause I would lie to not have to pay $200 to the government.
I do feel better knowing i am surrounded by many that are morally superior to I.
hal1

Post by hal1 »

Miss a half day of work to possibly save the cost of a $100-$200? Not a good trade off for me. With a clean driving record this wouldn't affect my license or insurance. A no-brainer, pay the fine and get on with my life, and learn from it.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Lil Buddy wrote:
Anachronism wrote:I felt I needed to put these "I got a ticket for 10 over, man that sucks" posts into perspective.
Thanks for sharing, but I think all you did was brought your stupidity into perspective.
Thanks. That's productive.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Nothing to see here.....
Last edited by Lil Buddy on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JNV

Re: Am I the first person to get a speediong ticket on a 50c

Post by JNV »

kazigami wrote:So crusing down a two-lane, one-way street where even though its marked 30mph everyone goes atleast 40mph. Now I guess I had just entered a school-zone and had a cop clock me at 34 in a 20mph zone. The damage: $190 dollars!!! Never thought I'd get a ticket on my little scoot. Good thing I like ramen! :(
I got a ticket on my 50cc. when I put a 70cc kit on it. I went to fight it at the municipal court; when the judge saw the my vehicle description on the ticket, 50cc. moped, he laughed and cancelled the ticket. I am glad some people refuse to believe how fast some of these little machines can really go.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Lil Buddy wrote:Willfully endangering the lives off innocent motorists and civilians IMHO, is just plan stupid. Others may think its cool, I’m not impressed.

Maybe its due to the fact that I have been in two head-on collisions and I've had a family member pronounced dead at the scene because the drivers at fault wanted to prove their cars were faster then the next guy’s.

But who knows. Maybe it is really cool and I'm just out of the loop?
Look man, I understand where you are coming from. I never met my grandparents because they were killed a week before I was born by a drunk driver.

I'm annoyed because you are making a lot of snap judgments about me that I don't think are fair.

The incident in question was ten years ago. After losing my license, I re-evaluated the choices I was making, and decided never again to race anywhere but a drag strip. After I found that my willpower was lacking when I had punks calling me out at every stoplight, I stopped driving the car. For the past eight years, the car gets less than 50 miles on it a year. I constantly debate selling it, but can't bring myself to do it.

Knowing what I learned, when I decided I wanted to get into two wheeled transportation, I bought a scooter instead of a sportbike, and bought a slow one at that, to keep the speed thing under control.

How about cutting me a little slack? Or did you never do something as a kid that you regret as an adult?

This site drives me crazy. I post here because I love my scooter and there are about half a dozen people that really know their mechanical stuff. There are probably another dozen that are entertaining.

The rest of the site seems full of people that really need to get off of their snot covered wagon and stop passing judgment on everything in the world that doesn't meet their rigorous expectations. It gets old listening to people hassling others for not doing things exactly the way they would.

In addition, it gets REALLY old with people antagonizing 50 riders for essentially riding 50's. The whole freaking reason most people ride 50's is because they don't want a motorcycle endorsement, don't want to pay for insurance, etc. Yet people on the site get hassled all the time because people here want them to get this stuff anyways. To top it off, riding a 50 on this site means if anybody mentions that their 50 went over 30mph for a split second on a 30* incline, ten people have to explain how illegal that is like they themselves have never broken a speed limit.

How about getting off your high horses a little bit and getting back to talking about how enjoyable it is to ride these things?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Ray Knobs wrote:It's ok to openly defy a law and endanger little school children by doing 21mph over the speed limit in a school zone but it's not ok to be dishonest?
No, what he's saying is that doing one thing wrong is bad enough; doing another thing wrong to avoid punishment for it is worse.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Anachronism wrote:I'm annoyed because you are making a lot of snap judgments about me that I don't think are fair.
The incident in question was ten years ago...
If you're not the same person you were then, then there's no need to take it personally.
Anachronism wrote:In addition, it gets REALLY old with people antagonizing 50 riders for essentially riding 50's. The whole freaking reason most people ride 50's is because they don't want a motorcycle endorsement, don't want to pay for insurance, etc. Yet people on the site get hassled all the time because people here want them to get this stuff anyways. To top it off, riding a 50 on this site means if anybody mentions that their 50 went over 30mph for a split second on a 30* incline, ten people have to explain how illegal that is like they themselves have never broken a speed limit.
I've gotten the perplexing "no one's really happy with a 50cc" attitude, but not the one you describe.

I ride a derestricted 50cc scoot that's registered as a moped. I got a 50cc not so much because of the licensing or insurance, but because I didn't want to spend extra money for a vehicle that's bigger and faster than I want. A properly derestricted 50cc meets my needs. I go 30-40 in 35mph zones, and 40-45(wind and slope permitting) in 45mph zones. But mostly I go 25-35 in 25mph zones, because that's where most of my riding is, and that's how fast everyone else goes there. I consider that responsible riding, and one of the things that goes with that is taking responsibility for it it when/if it runs afoul of the actual law. There are laws I've broken that were unjust (and since struck down), and I would've appealed them to the Supremes if necessary if I'd ever been charged with them. (It's a civil-rights thang.) There are also laws I've broken that I simply don't agree with (such as the 30mph "moped" limitation, or a major through street being posted at 25mph solely so they can give out more speeding tickets), but they aren't actual violations of fundamental human rights. When/if I get charged with those, I'd take responsibility for that decision, and pay whatever fine is called for.
kazigami

Post by kazigami »

I'll pay the ticket and buy some ramen. Every meal of noodle goodness I'll remember to watch out for school zones and radars :)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Gee, I feel left out. A 50cc in Florida requires registration and tag. No endorsement on your license though. I bought a tag this year again but am considering selling the 50cc.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Anachronism wrote: I'm annoyed because you are making a lot of snap judgments about me that I don't think are fair.
You're right. It was a snap judgement. I should have kept my opinion to myself. Your comment just struck a nerve with me. This forum is not the place for discussions of this nature.

I apologies to you and anyone else who may have taken offense to my comment.

Glad to hear you have since changed your ways.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

drnkn beers in the hot sun
I faught the law and I won
michelle_7728

Am I the first one to get a speeding ticket on a 50cc?

Post by michelle_7728 »

Anachronism wrote:I got ticketed once for 158 in a 55. Was racing a new corvette on a deserted road in the middle of the night, blew by no less than 5 squad cars stopped at a gas station talking over their shift change. Every single officer signed the ticket.

I'm glad you put your post in here--the visual of all those cops signing the ticket was a good one! The diversity of experiences / posts here at Modern Buddy is fascinating and one reason I really like this forum. However, the "re-evaluation of self" disclaimer might have been a good idea to put after the original post of the incident, to avoid any misunderstandings--without it, my first reaction was negative as well.

'Nuff said--I'm glad you are here today to tell us the tale! Let's move on, have fun, and quit bashing each other! :D

I do have the same question as siabhan though--what the heck were you driving? :shock:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
bunny

Post by bunny »

This brings to mind Bill Engvall's comedy sketch where he talks about his wife making the cut to get scooters for them both...and he failed the riding test. ANd he told her he wasn't going to go through it again and would ride illegally.

"...because really, what cop in his right mind is going to pull over a guy in leather pants...a fringed jacket...on a scooter...going 23 mph??

And for the ramen? Take it from the Asian chick: Kung Fu Brand Onion Flavor ramen...get it at the Asian groceries...BEST ramen in the universe.

Oh...and check out the Udon, chicken flavored.

YUM-O!
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.