Delivery update!

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rippinyarn

Delivery update!

Post by Rippinyarn »

A little bird named Carolyn (from Genuine HQ) today advised me that the 220i Blurs are in Chicago and are currently being shipped to dealers. I have yet to confirm that my white Blur is amongst the first shipment (sold out) or is in the second shipment (almost sold out and yes, apparently sporting a price increase), so I've got that going for me.

More news (and hopefully pics) as soon as I know it! The waiting is the hardest part...
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Judging from what you're saying, it sounds as if Genuine dealers never received any floor models, and that a potential buyer would have to effectively order the scoot without any hands-on experience. It also sounds like they're only shipping pre-ordered units and nothing else. Is this correct?

And what's this about a price hike?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OK, before I go off here, let me clearly state that the Blur is a fantastically designed sport scooter.

Now that the above is out of the way...

WHAT!?! A price hike due to lack of available models?!

OK, now that the above referenced outrage is addressed, please explain what you're talking about.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I don't know any more than what she told me, but I'm sure that the "retail price increase" will (hopefully) be minimal.

Remember that when a distributor (like Genuine) says that their production is "sold out" that means that the retail chain (dealers) has ordered all of the available product in a particular production run. The means that those of us who have pre-purchased the scoots are probably rare, but that the dealers were convinced that they will be able to sell the product that they've pre-ordered, hence the "sell-out". Depending on the dealer, they will likely have several units "in stock" and they may choose one to offer demos on. It's up to them, because the storage and sales/profit issues change dramatically as soon as you put gas in and invest time in a PDI for your demo.

Genuine is a great company, but it is one run by enthusiasts (that's why we love 'em). Even car companies (who introduce new product every year), can get caught up in new model fever, and it's a constant battle to keep the right amount of product in the pipeline to the retail chain. Add in the fact that many scooter dealers are still severely challenged in cash-flow, plus that few scooter or powersports dealers really have robust financing (for their products on sale, i.e. "floor-plan" financing) and you have a very tricky situation.

When I saw the Blur at Dealer Expo, I got to "try it on" (no riding, sadly) and spent some time examining the quality and engineering of the scoot. That combined with the positive reviews of the Blur 150 (as a "handling" scoot) plus the aggressive MSRP (maybe too aggressive, as it turns out), easily convinced me to pre-order. My dealer typically doesn't offer test rides anyway, so I'm not risking too much. I see the Blur as a genre-buster - a real sport-style modern scooter with a little hot-rod thrown in, and I'm convinced that it will be a hit for Genuine.

I just wish that they would get here already!:roll:
Rovers SC
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Thanks for the explanation. I had misinterpreted "sold out" as meaning that every available unit was already destined for a buyer, not a dealer per-se.

Kinda moot for me since I've already purchased something else, but good to know anyway.
ggs34

blur 2010

Post by ggs34 »

does any one know if there dealer has any in stock i know that only one dealer in wisconsin has one on order the 3 or 4 i called were not ordering anything this this year at all
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

My dealer just emailed me and said that my Blur is being shipped today and that I could have it tomorrow or on Monday. Hells yeah! Time to call State Farm 8)

Fingers crossed for a quick 300 mile trip from Chicago to Detroit! :P
Rovers SC
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just got an update for the Blur situation here in California: the CARB is sitting on their collective hands (probably playing pocket pool) while new Blurs are sitting collecting dust in a warehouse. :x
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I'm still waiting here, yo. Yep, it's killing me. It's an interesting time in my life as this weekend we didn't have power (storm last Friday took out lines and we didn't get power back for 69 hours), I can't drink a few cool frosties due to some medicine that I'm taking, and, about every five minutes, I check for an email from my dealer.

The dealer got the bill of lading last Thursday and expected the scoot in on Friday or Monday. The dealer told me yesterday that "it's never taken this long to get from Chicago to Detroit".

Philip McCaleb tweeted yesterday and said that the Blurs are "being shipped out today and tomorrow" (not Cali, I guess)

Maybe today is the day? I'll be blogging about this exciting turn of events in a little while. Hang in there folks!
Rovers SC
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

My dealer just sent me this. Cool guy. I'm picking it up later today. It's going to be a good ride home.

Check out the blog for some Stella 4t discussion.
Rovers SC
Davek

Post by Davek »

Wow; is that what you get when you Super Size it?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

You know, security is everything with Genuine. I think that they've learned their lesson with the Stella 4t and are going stealth with their delivery vehicles. Like the gasoline truck with "Gustafson Dairy" on the side. :ninja:
Rovers SC