Vee Rubber Tire Review

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kaos

Vee Rubber Tire Review

Post by Kaos »

I just purchased a set of Vee Rubber tires, and have posted a review on <a href="http://www.voodoo-buddy.com">Voodoo Buddy</a>
for all those curious how they fair.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

are you saying you leaned so far it scraped your center stand?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:are you saying you leaned so far it scraped your center stand?
Yep, I leaned hard into a left hand curve, and scraped the center stand :twisted:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I figured you would go with the P-rated 228's. I got the 134's as well, and second your excellent review, sir. :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:I figured you would go with the P-rated 228's. I got the 134's as well, and second your excellent review, sir. :)
The only reason I didn't, is that the rainy season is coming, and the tread pattern seemed poor for wet conditions. I'm a little put off by the "Racing Tire" designation as well, since thats usually industry slang for "Wears out in 1000 miles". Though Honestly, I'll probably try a set next summer :P
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

After they're broken in would you please give more details?
ie:
how they compare in ride comfort
how they react to potholes, ect
what you are using for tire pressure
Thanks for the review, Kaos :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Perkussion wrote:After they're broken in would you please give more details?
ie:
Absolutely :)

So far I've only got 55 miles on them, but initially:
They ride slightly softer than the Pirelli's did.
They are slightly less forgiving of the pothole than the Pirelli's, but seem
a bit better than I remember the Zippy2's being.
They're inflated to 35PSI right now.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

35psi Kaos, my stock Maxxis tyres on the G-Max are 28psi, wonder if I am riding under inflated thus getting a bumpy ride?
Kaos wrote:
ie:

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Irishrover wrote:35psi Kaos, my stock Maxxis tyres on the G-Max are 28psi, wonder if I am riding under inflated thus getting a bumpy ride?
Kaos wrote:
ie:

Could be. You should be able to check the sidewall, and it should say. Many scooter tires are in the 30-40psi range.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I went with the manual which stated 2.0Kg/cm2 and after looking up the conversion came out at 28psi.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Irishrover wrote:I went with the manual which stated 2.0Kg/cm2 and after looking up the conversion came out at 28psi.
A quick use of Google's built in conversion app comes out at 29.5PSI, so I'd take it to at least 30psi if I were you.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Cheers man, I'll increase that tomorrow. I like those Vee Rubbers you have.
Kaos wrote:
Irishrover wrote:I went with the manual which stated 2.0Kg/cm2 and after looking up the conversion came out at 28psi.
A quick use of Google's built in conversion app comes out at 29.5PSI, so I'd take it to at least 30psi if I were you.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Irishrover wrote:Cheers man, I'll increase that tomorrow. I like those Vee Rubbers you have.
Kaos wrote:
I'm quite happy with them so far. As long as they last a good bit, I'll be VERY happy with them :)
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Kaos wrote: So far I've only got 55 miles on them, but initially:
Kaos, I was just about to order Pirelli SL26's for my ride and saw your post (found the Pirelli's for $25.99).

You say the Vee's are "softer" than the Pirelli's.

Between the two (for about the same price), what are your thoughts? Would be used mostly for commuting in Denver.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Tocsik wrote:
Kaos wrote: So far I've only got 55 miles on them, but initially:
Kaos, I was just about to order Pirelli SL26's for my ride and saw your post (found the Pirelli's for $25.99).

You say the Vee's are "softer" than the Pirelli's.

Between the two (for about the same price), what are your thoughts? Would be used mostly for commuting in Denver.
I'd say the Pirelli's but only because I *KNOW* they last a good while. I just don't know how long these will last yet. Given that the two are the same cost, if you want them to last, the Pirielli's. I do think that the ride is a bit smoother with the Vee's though so if that's important to you they win by a hair in that department.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Kaos - It looks like the tread pattern on tires in the photo in your review are different from the pattern on the tire on the Scooterworks site. I'm liking the ones you recieved better. Can't wait hear updates, because right now your review has made me lean toward trying them next month.

- jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jetboy wrote:Kaos - It looks like the tread pattern on tires in the photo in your review are different from the pattern on the tire on the Scooterworks site. I'm liking the ones you recieved better. Can't wait hear updates, because right now your review has made me lean toward trying them next month.

- jetboy
Hmm, interesting. You're right the patern on Scooterworks is close, but NOT the patern of the tires I've got. Mine actually has a better tread patern than the one pictures.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Kaos - Now that you are a couple of weeks into them, what's your latest impression of the Vee rubber? You have a chance to ride them in any wet weather?

- jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jetboy wrote:Kaos - Now that you are a couple of weeks into them, what's your latest impression of the Vee rubber? You have a chance to ride them in any wet weather?

- jetboy
Yeah, its actually been raining the last few days. They don't even seem to notice the rain, which I was worried about since they've got a fairly sporty tread. They stick just as well when wet as they do when dry, and have been fantastic so far. I'm very impressed with them so far.

As long as they last a decent milage, they'll be my new tires of choice.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Kaos, have you noticed if manhole covers seem slicker with the Vee rubber tires? I can't tell if it's a change in seasons (wetter weather), how I ride, or if I lose traction easier with these tires. I'm wanting a second opinion.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:Kaos, have you noticed if manhole covers seem slicker with the Vee rubber tires? I can't tell if it's a change in seasons (wetter weather), how I ride, or if I lose traction easier with these tires. I'm wanting a second opinion.
As a habit I avoid manhole covers at all costs :) I'll run over a few when I head out and see what I think. I've not hit any since it started raining.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Every once in a while one will sneak up on me...I'm wondering if it's just because I've been in the rain more lately that I'm noticing it...being back on a more strictly scheduled commute instead of doing something else while waiting out a storm, that kinda thing.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:Every once in a while one will sneak up on me...I'm wondering if it's just because I've been in the rain more lately that I'm noticing it...being back on a more strictly scheduled commute instead of doing something else while waiting out a storm, that kinda thing.
In the off season I ride in the rain all the time. In Oregon you have to if you want to ride more than 3 months outa the year :P
db

Post by db »

So is everyone still happy with the vee rubber tires? Looking at the VRM 134 sport tires. Anybidy like them enough they are on their second or third set?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

db wrote:So is everyone still happy with the vee rubber tires? Looking at the VRM 134 sport tires. Anybidy like them enough they are on their second or third set?
I'm on my second set. Still happy as can be with them.
db

Post by db »

Glad to hear, especially at this great price. What is the difference between 100/90x10 and 3.5x10? Which is taller? I know the 100x90 is wider but is it taller or the same or shorter?l
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Just finished scrubbing in another new rear Vee. :+!: to what Kaos said.

The metric sizing 100/90x10 is read like this:
100mm width, 90% of the width for sidewall height, and fits a 10" diameter rim. The other one is simply width and diameter with an assumed sidewall.
100/90x10 is a little wider (and maybe a touch taller?) than the 3.5x10. I think the closest metric match to 3.5x10 is 90/90x10. At least, it is on width. I haven't had 3.5x10's since the stock tires and don't remember what the assumed sidewall height is, so I don't have a number to compare to. Me and my OCD for accuracy. :P
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

db wrote:So is everyone still happy with the vee rubber tires? Looking at the VRM 134 sport tires. Anybidy like them enough they are on their second or third set?
Good tread after 4,000 miles on the front... Second VRM 134 on the back... I am also very happy with them.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Ya know, I need to scroll up and re-read the older posts every now and then. :lol:
That whole manhole cover thing: now that I have a few thousand miles since then...totally newbie user error. Nothing to do with the tires, everything to do with getting used to rainy weather riding.Thought I'd update that after reading. ;)

*edit* Kaos: Don't know how I missed it before, but I just noticed that you said back in September you were running your Vee's at 35 psi. You still running that or have you settled on a different number?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:Ya know, I need to scroll up and re-read the older posts every now and then. :lol:
That whole manhole cover thing: now that I have a few thousand miles since then...totally newbie user error. Nothing to do with the tires, everything to do with getting used to rainy weather riding.Thought I'd update that after reading. ;)

*edit* Kaos: Don't know how I missed it before, but I just noticed that you said back in September you were running your Vee's at 35 psi. You still running that or have you settled on a different number?
Nope, still run them at 35 psi.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Hmm. I think I'll try that for this new rear tire, see if that makes a difference in longevity.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

db wrote: What is the difference between 100/90x10 and 3.5x10? Which is taller? I know the 100x90 is wider but is it taller or the same or shorter?l
Never expect 2 different tires of the same size to actually be the same size. (even from the same manufacturer :roll: )

With that said here's a crappy picture I took in the garage tonight. Sorry for the crookedness, I got tired ( :roll: ) of trying to get them all straight, but this will give you a rough idea...

From left to right --->

Kenda 413, 100/90-10
Vee Rubber VRM-134, 100/90-10
Stock Buddy 50 tire
Cheng shin, stock Buddy 125 tire, 3.50X10
Maxxis whitewall, 100/90-10
Shinko SR009, 3.50X10
Bridgestone Hoop, 3.50X10
Pirelli SL-26, 100/90-10

The Vee rubber VRM-134 is the only new tire in the bunch.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lagerhead wrote:
db wrote: What is the difference between 100/90x10 and 3.5x10? Which is taller? I know the 100x90 is wider but is it taller or the same or shorter?l
Never expect 2 different tires of the same size to actually be the same size. (even from the same manufacturer :roll: )

With that said here's a crappy picture I took in the garage tonight. Sorry for the crookedness, I got tired ( :roll: ) of trying to get them all straight, but this will give you a rough idea...

From left to right --->

Kenda 413, 100/90-10
Vee Rubber VRM-134, 100/90-10
Stock Buddy 50 tire
Cheng shin, stock Buddy 125 tire, 3.50X10
Maxxis whitewall, 100/90-10
Shinko SR009, 3.50X10
Bridgestone Hoop, 3.50X10
Pirelli SL-26, 100/90-10

The Vee rubber VRM-134 is the only new tire in the bunch.
I find it a little disturbing that I could identify most of those by tread pattern.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Okay, I'm updating my Vee Rubber experience with the All Purpose tires. With the stock tires, I managed to scrape the lifting arm of the center stand on the left side a time or three. With the new Vee Rubber tires, I managed to scrape something on the right side of the undercarriage turning into my neighborhood! Did I mention that these things are sticky?
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Heh, yup. I'm having to start watching my lean angles not for lack of tire grip, but because I've managed to scrape my new-ish Prima pipe twice now. (This is why we can't have nice things! :oops: )
BoneGirl

Vee tires

Post by BoneGirl »

The Vee Tires are cool but the lower profile (height) causes me to hit the center stand more often than not. If you are a casual rider this will never be an issue but if you like the deep left turns like I do, a higher profile tire may work better for you in order to avoid hitting the center stand.

We also love the Prima pipe but as mentioned earlier, you drag the downtube on the deep right hand turns. :cry:

Trial and error is all you can do. I'm on my third set of Shinko SR009 tires and like the durability, hardness and all-weather abilities they have...not to mention the almost 6,000 miles I get out of the rear one.

Sweet! 8)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

It's time for a new rear tire. I have been completely happy with my Michelin S1 but I always have to try something diffferent :roll: so does anyone have a thought on whether putting one of these Vee VRM 134s on the back paired with an S1 on the front would work very well?

Michelin S1

They are both sport tires but the tread seems different enough that it might be trouble... but I like the higher speed rating of the Vee.

Hmmm... it also would mean a 100/90x10 on the rear and a 3.5x10 on the front. Would that matter? Maybe I just need 2 Vee tires!
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Kaos, I just bought these tires and I'm about to mount them. I know many tires have a dot on them to align with the valve stem, but I don't see such a thing on the VRM-134. I assume I can just mount them however, of course paying attention to rotational direction. Is this true? Also, how is the balance? Should I invest in some Dyna Beads?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

goldscott wrote:Kaos, I just bought these tires and I'm about to mount them. I know many tires have a dot on them to align with the valve stem, but I don't see such a thing on the VRM-134. I assume I can just mount them however, of course paying attention to rotational direction. Is this true? Also, how is the balance? Should I invest in some Dyna Beads?
Yep, mount them the correct direction, but they don't need aligned. I've never noticed a balance issue with them, and have never used Dyna Beads on anything :)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jmazza wrote:It's time for a new rear tire. I have been completely happy with my Michelin S1 but I always have to try something diffferent :roll: so does anyone have a thought on whether putting one of these Vee VRM 134s on the back paired with an S1 on the front would work very well?

They are both sport tires but the tread seems different enough that it might be trouble... but I like the higher speed rating of the Vee.

Hmmm... it also would mean a 100/90x10 on the rear and a 3.5x10 on the front. Would that matter? Maybe I just need 2 Vee tires!
I just wanted to report that I've got just a bit over 100 miles on this tire combo and it's working great.

I actually prefer the size of the Vee (100/90x10) because it's a bit wider. I might change the front as well. But there have been no issues with tread matching at all. Hope this helps anyone else considering a two different tire setup!