Tell me why you like riding your scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

carreybat

Tell me why you like riding your scooter

Post by carreybat »

give me reasons why you like your scooter. i'm doing a speech about them and i want to give real answers and not just mine. so tell me you like the MPG, or maybe its just fun (PLEASE TELL HOW IT'S FUN FOR YOU). let me know! i can't wait to see the answers!

ps MB will be noted in my speech.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Things I like about my scooter:
- Great gas mileage (averaging about 85 mpg)
- Small and light - easy to handle
- Short seat height (I am height challenged)
- It makes me look forward to my commute! Really!
- It's cheaper to park at work - about 1/4 of the car rate (as it should be!)
- It's easy to park at the grocery store - it fits into the little triangular left over spots at the end of the row
- It's an environmentally friendly way to travel (see gas mileage)
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

My scooter is amazingly fun and easy to ride. It is hard not to have a good day when you start it off by riding to work on a scooter. The gas mileage is great, of course. I get around 100 mpg and love telling people that when they ask about the mileage. I love taking obscure routes and roads because its fun to check them out. I have found some interesting little houses/ businesses by riding through a section of town just to see where that road went. I can tool around at 35 mph or I can go 55 if I need to. People compliment the scooter all the time and I am just so proud. I can haul groceries, dog food, rain gear, camping gear, etc. Actually it makes a great camping vehicle. I can fit everything I need on there, with saddle bags, and I prefer minimalist style camping anyway, so I can leave the car behind. The only thing I don't like is when it snows, but that's not the scooter's fault.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I like mine because it forces me to be in direct contact with my surroundings. There's no temptation to use my phone, fiddle with the radio, adjust the AC/Vents. It's a form of release, really. I find it very relaxing to be able to forget all other thoughts and just focus on where I am and what I'm doing.

The gas mileage and all that lot are just bonuses. Ecofriendly? Sure, though honestly I don't track that.

I ride for it's therapeutic aspects. I can flow along with/ahead/behind traffic or zip through it. There's a lot more direct control over how I'm getting to where I'm going... even if I'm not sure of my destination when I start.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Asburyjer

Post by Asburyjer »

pdxrita wrote:Things I like about my scooter:
- Great gas mileage
- Small and light - easy to handle
- It makes me look forward to my commute! Really!
- It's easy to park at the grocery store - it fits into the little triangular left over spots at the end of the row
- It's an environmentally friendly way to travel (see gas mileage)
All of these plus
- It's fun to see people's faces when they realize that the cute little scooter they thought was going to be in their way beat them to the next light.
- It is an instant conversation piece, people are immediately curious about it.
- My son likes to ride to school on it
- It is fun to ride on a twisty road, and there is no other feeling like leaning out to your right and hanging there as your skoot smoothly cruises through a curve.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

it puts me more in tune with the road. instead of being separated by the weather, smells, sights by a glass rectangle surrounded by metal, i am in the scenery.

i have taken rides with no destination and ended up in places i would have no reason to go to in a car and on the way found a farmer's house where he sold his produce out front.

the car route to work takes 25 mintes, the scoot route take 45. i prefer the scoot route. when i tell people they respond 'wow that is too bad you couldn't find a quicker route'. haha, no it isn't.

plus spending 5 bucks a week on gas beats 5 a day every time.

if i could perfect the methods these people use, i would ride my scoot to tend my bees with all necessary gear:
topic676.html
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I might recommend showing so clips from the best Top Gear special ever!

Part 1 / Part 2

I like my scooter cuz it made me realize that you can have adventures any time! Discover new places, even just discover
your own town you didn't even know some of the roads existed. After getting my scooter I started a group to bring some
of the local riders together, and have met lots of great people and had lots of fun rides. My scooter makes it accessible
to just 'go out' when I feel like it, and not have to always worry about spending all my money on gas. And the nimbleness
makes it fun on the curves and in traffic, I never would've guessed a little scooter could change my life for the better! :D
TVB

Post by TVB »

I like my scooter because it fills the gap between my bicycle and my car: greater range and speed than the former, greater efficiency and fun than the latter. I like traveling on it because at 40mph it gets me where I'm going without whizzing me past the places I'm going through.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Arlo says;
I don't want a pickle
Just want to ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want a tickle
'Cause I'd rather ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want to die
Just want to ride on my motorcy...cle

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7a3ca ... song_music
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Tell me why you like riding your scooter

Post by ScooterDave »

carreybat wrote:give me reasons why you like your scooter. i'm doing a speech about them and i want to give real answers and not just mine. so tell me you like the MPG, or maybe its just fun (PLEASE TELL HOW IT'S FUN FOR YOU). let me know! i can't wait to see the answers!

ps MB will be noted in my speech.
Simple. Chicks dig scooters and guys that ride them,.
easy

Post by easy »

The smells, leaning in corners, sun on a nice day. The way small kids look at you and smile. I've heard daddy get 1 of them a couple of times. Why not a motorcycle duffle bag bugged to front rack, 2 bags on helmet hook another duffle bag under cargo net on the back of the seat.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Yes, the freedom, the smells, the friendly waves, are great but, I would also like to include the discovery of the city I call home. I have a learned more about the of lay of the land in the two years I've been scooting, than I did the previous 14 years spent here. Found parks & lakes I never knew existed, places to explore and ride on the roads less traveled.

Though, my favorite part of scootering it the other scooterist I've met.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

no one mentioned DWI
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Ray Knobs wrote:no one mentioned DWI
Best you can do here is a electric motor assisted bicycle. No license, no scooter.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I hope you cite this forum (especially this thread!) in your speech.
ModBud #442
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I like mine because it forces me to be in direct contact with my surroundings. There's no temptation to use my phone, fiddle with the radio, adjust the AC/Vents. It's a form of release, really. I find it very relaxing to be able to forget all other thoughts and just focus on where I am and what I'm doing.

I can flow along with/ahead/behind traffic or zip through it. There's a lot more direct control over how I'm getting to where I'm going... even if I'm not sure of my destination when I start.
+1! When I drive my car, I get lazy in the sense of being in an enclosed space and just travelling from point A to point B. The scooter opens up the world around me. I'm so much more aware of everthing and able to enjoy everything more.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

It's fun and still makes me smile.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Well I've never really cared for Gas mileage since I've never really ridden out of town in the past, but now I am riding 20-30 miles a day 4 days a week, it's nice to have to buy gas every 2-3 days and only be buying 1 gallon.

My only other transportation option is a van that gets like 18MPG in the city.
Mary Somerville

Parking

Post by Mary Somerville »

My city is very crowded, and short errands are more of a hassle because it takes so freakin' long to find a place to park. And then it costs $$.

I like to walk, but then you have to carve out a good chunk of time there and back.

Today to pick up my CSA share I bopped over, pulled right up, no problem at all. Taking the car over makes me groan. And it's so much overkill to take a car for a bag full of food.

And I took the long way home. Because it was fun.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I love riding my scooter because it complements the crazy math teacher persona I've got goin on :lol: But in all seriousness, I love riding my scooter because its impossible to take yourself too seriously while riding a scooter. Scooters arn't badass, they're cute, they're efficient, and they're twist and go (at least the buddys are) so they're incredibly easy to ride. They're also much less expensive than a lot of motorcycles and the assesories are cheaper too so you can afford to deck the thing out however you see fit. I wouldn't dream of painting my car myself, but I'd paint the scoot if the mood struck me since it would cost way under a grand to buy all the panels if I wrecked it.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Vic

Post by Vic »

I like riding my Buddy because it feels like an extension of myself when we are going someplace. I love the interaction with the environment and other people that you get on a scooter that you just don't get in a car (even a convertible-my VW Bug is a 'vert-and I doubt there is a more approachable car, but I still get more people smiling, children pointing, and even people walking up to talk about the scooter).

I regularly have people stop me at the gas station or even roll down their windows at stop lights. I had one guy in a rather sketchy neighborhood come up behind me waving, honking and flashing his lights (I was certain I was in for a scooterjacking or something) and when he caught up to me at an intersection he wanted to know where he could get a scooter just like mine for his wife. Did I mention it was in the pouring rain and I had a river running down the back of my neck and heading straight south?!? But, yeah, I still love it when that happens.

I also love scootering as a form of meditation-it demands your attention, no fooling with other things. That is good for me. I even manage to arrive at work with a smile on my face-that just doesn't happen in a car. After a particularly rough day at work, I manage to arrive home with a balanced mood and good attitude-a drive in the car doesn't do that either.

I take one of my kids with me and that is good because when we arrive at our destination I can focus all of my energy and attention on that kid. They are ages 11 and 14 and need to have time with mom alone. They actually enjoy it.

Lastly, when you get a scooter you also get a whole community that comes with it-it is really amazing! Built in friends, people that will wave to you or do their best to help you out in any way they can because they see you as a brother or sister simply because we all ride two wheels.

-v
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

ok, so i did the speech. i did mention MB in it and i did say that i asked you guys what you thought.

i love my scooter. not only that it stands out and i look cool but for that fact that it brings out the kid in me. i love the instant smile on my face when i go riding. i love the fact that i have a group of friends that i can ask for help or just bs with about my scooter.

i also find that scootering (google chrome says this isn't a word) is infectious. i bought mine with a friend and now my other friend wants one and so does my GF. people just love them. and they don't even know how much fun they really are.

thank you for your posts, but please DO NOT STOP!! lets see how many pages we can go listing our reasons why. for people that are just stopping by this should show them that there is a reason to ride and we all have our own.

:D
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texepictetus

Post by texepictetus »

May sound odd, but when I bought my scooter I didn't just get a mode of transportation...I got a scene. I moved to Wisconsin not knowing anyone a few months ago and now I hang out at the local scooter shop, go on rides every weekend, and can text a few people and take over a coffee shop almost anytime I want. You just can't do that w/ a Ford Taurus X.
prrfan53

why I love my Italia150

Post by prrfan53 »

ALL of every ones comments plus: it makes me 30 years younger to breeze along New England's beautiful byways in tune with everything! Avg 88MPG and cruising at 60mph true ground speed. Is almost as good if not better than 115kts TAS at 9 gallons of 100LL per hour!!!
Tropez150

Post by Tropez150 »

Ditto eveything that has been posted as well as riding two wheels with a 150 engine was a goal I set for myself. Began as the desire to join my husband in an activity which seemed to be fun with comradery with a great group of people (scooter riders). I have accomplished my goal, though still learning, and realized yeah.. riding my scooter is relaxing freedom from stressful days
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I come from a bicycling background, and this is my first motorized bike. I started looking at scooters because I wanted to be able to get familiar with handling and higher speeds first, then planned on getting a motorcycle when I could afford it. At this point, I'll be keeping the scooter instead of selling it when I get around to a motorcycle.

I love my scooter. I get 80-85 mpg, I can hold 55-60 mph pretty reliably. Maintenance and parts (oil changes, tires) are very affordable and so is insurance. I love the storage built into the thing, and I enjoy the simplicity of riding in town. I don't have a clutch to cause hand cramping, and I don't have to constantly shift up and down between traffic lights. The leg shield is a wonderful thing in rain and cooler weather, and the compact size of the scooter means I never get stuck...ever. I can always find a place to park, I can turn around in the tightest of spots and it's uber-maneuverable. I find myself looking for excuses to go for rides. I never looked for excuses to drive my car.

I've never had an interest in learning about motors before the scooter. I was happy to let others fix my car, it was just an annoyance that got dealt with when it had to be. With my scooter, I actually enjoy learning about what makes it tick. There's a romance for me, both in riding and in maintaining.
I can honestly use that bumper sticker phrase, "motorcycles saved my life", except in my case it was a Buddy scooter. A hit-and-run car took bicycling away from me. My friends all told me when I got a scooter was when I became my old self again...happy, mellow, whimsical, looney, fun to be around. (Their words, paraphrased.)
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

bump for more stories!
Griffphoto

Reasons why

Post by Griffphoto »

1. It's a whole lot of fun to ride.
2. Getting to know the other scooterist here in Birmingham.
3. Exploring the city is so much more fun on a scooter.
4. When I am train watching, I blow my horn at them and they usually honk back! Except the Amtrak.....
5. Buying those 27 scooter raffle tickets paid off.
I'm just here for the food.

BSS #120
MB #3269
RH50CC

Post by RH50CC »

"lostmycage" x2. I also have a 250cc but i'm riding my 50cc more these days...just more fun on the 50cc.
Mary Somerville

Post by Mary Somerville »

I just realized another piece of this today. I was trying to explain to a friend what I liked about the scooter. I think he's surprised at how effusive I am about it because I'm generally not much of a physical risk-taker.

It struck me that this is a replacement for things I used to do as a youngstah that I just don't do anymore, for a variety of reasons. But the most similar neurons it ticks is skiing.

Does anyone else feel that? It's got a lot of the physical similarity to that for me. Well, except for the sitting down part....

I don't ski anymore because of the cost, distance, cold, fitness...etc.... But I'm getting the same sort of high, I think.
bunny

Post by bunny »

It's 'insta-kid' on wheels.

I can't tell you how many times I go down a hill on rides and I stick my legs out (a la bicycle style)...

The permagrin. The twisty road on Mid-Cities between 121 and Euless-Main with NO lights!

Piece de resistance: being chased down by a geriatric cager to tell me there are speed limits. He probably used more gas in that one chase than I use all week.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.