My G-max failed its M.O.T test.

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Irishrover

My G-max failed its M.O.T test.

Post by Irishrover »

We have a test here once a motorcycle or car reaches 3 years old it must pass an M.O.T(ministry of transport) test on a yearly basis. My G-max failed today on rear tyre, rear brake pad being less than 1.5mm thick and a warped front brake disk.
I have the rear pads and can get a new tyre, but does anyone know if an after market brake disk would fit or does it have to be an O.E.M part?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

NCY makes a rotor, but finding it in the States is next to impossible. I found one on Ebay (from Scooterworks) that was brought in to photograph for consideration in the catalog. It's 260mm (if I recall correctly) and looks nice new, but the I think the stock rotor is a lot better. I'd stick with the stock.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Just ordered a stock rotor @ $130, the parts prices for PGO are shockingly expensive.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Wow... that's a bit more than I would have expected. Either way, it'll get you riding again, so it's worth it.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I bet it's cheaper in the states.

Lostmycage wrote:Wow... that's a bit more than I would have expected. Either way, it'll get you riding again, so it's worth it.
beeboytroy

Post by beeboytroy »

It is cheaper. I replaced my rear disk because the original owner hit a curb and warped the disk. It cost me $60 american. A word of advice when changing your disk: soak the Allen-head bolts in a penetrating oil overnight. Then I used a make shift lever and attached it to an allen wrench to break every bolt loose. Those bolts are a muther!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I just used a socket adapter for the correct sized hex head. That way you can set the torque when you reinstall. I didn't have to use any oil. Everyone's mileage varies.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I would have used an impact driver. It is especially useful for loosening those really soft-metal phillips head screws used on motorcycle engine cases.
In case anyone doesn't know what an impact driver is:

Great for loosening tight phillips head and allen head screws. Can also get them on really tight. Install whatever driver tip you need, i.e., phillips, hex bit, etc. then with the tool on the screw you're trying to loosen, twist the driver against the screw in the direction you want it to go (loosen or tighten) then hit the top of the driver with a hammer. The hammer impact (hence the name "impact driver") will cause the mechanism in the tool to convert that energy to a turning motion to loosen (or tighten) the screw. And because of the force of the hammer blow against the tool, a phillips driver bit can't cam out of the screw head thereby preventing damage to the screw.
Go here for a different explaination: http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000723.php
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

It passed today after fitting new rear pads, rear tyre and front disk. I still can't understand how the front disk warped as I am not a heavy breaker, but when I checked it with a micrometer it had high spots all over the disk. The price of a 50cc G-max front disk is $80 and is a patern part, how could they not have made one for the 125cc?
The main thing is I can now ride again. :lol: