Screeching Kickstart and Slipping, Jerky Clutch FIXED

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

broke

Screeching Kickstart and Slipping, Jerky Clutch FIXED

Post by broke »

At about 5,000 buddy miles I noticed 2 things starting to happen that I didn't like:

1) My kickstart started "screeching" at me when I used it and sometimes it would not spring back easily.

2) My transmission was just not smooth at low speed. There would be a slight shudder and then jerk when I would slowly accelerate from a stop.

The jerky clutch problem started barely noticeable but got worse and worse through use.

The screeching kickstart didn't sound exactly like a belt slipping, but that was what I assumed the problem was. However i never heard any belt screeching at any other time. Only when using the kickstart. (I usually will kickstart a time or two every day just for the fun of it :) )

Anyway, I assumed a badly worn belt so I ordered one from bpnw and it arrived pretty darn quick. With the belt on hand, I tore into the transmission tonight to replace it.

In the end, my stock belt is fine. I left it in and will hold onto the new one for a later time.

The shuddering / jerking was definitely a slipping clutch. I had belt dust caked onto the pads. Easy clean up with no fluid at all... just fine wire brush and sand paper. I also cleaned the bell really well. The inside drum of the bell is pretty smooth, but it isn't discolored indicating heat damage, so I'm not going to replace it or anything. The pads have plenty of life left even after my sandpaper.

THAT BLACK BELT DUST IS NASTY STUFF! I've tried cleaning out the transmission before, but I don't have an air compressor, and I've never bothered pulling off the clutch bell to clean inside that. I would recommend folks pull the clutch bell off every couple thousand miles to clean it out too (in addition to blowing out the dust from everywhere else you can).

The screeching kickstart was caused by a dry axle for the little cog that pushes out while it rotates to crank the motor. I can see some rust on that axle/pin the cog spins on. I think there isn't a perfect seal on the kick start axle. I used a little bit of grease on the post and now no screech. (and the kick start springs back fine too)

Anyway, sorry for the lack of pictures and REO speedwagon music... but folks should definitely clean out brake dust often. I went for a ride tonight after finishing the work and there is NO HINT of slipping clutch. Very nice.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
michelle_7728

Screeching kickstart

Post by michelle_7728 »

Wiseguy, huh? (REO music)...it was pretty bad though, I have to admit! :P

Great tip about blowing out that dust. I wonder, if you don't have an air compressor, if that compressed air you can use on computer stuff would work...? or maybe a fresh vacuum cleaner bag and a thin air hose...hmmm Something to think about.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
broke

Post by broke »

I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who said canned air won't give you enough PSI to get that stuff out. It is ICKY ICKY STUFF! I wonder if even air coming from 100PSI compressor would be enough to get it off if it is caking on the clutch bell and pads. It's too bad the clutch can't be sealed away from the CVT belt.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Use brake cleaner to wash down all parts being carefull not to wash out the bearings or soak the belt...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who said canned air won't give you enough PSI to get that stuff out. It is ICKY ICKY STUFF! I wonder if even air coming from 100PSI compressor would be enough to get it off if it is caking on the clutch bell and pads. It's too bad the clutch can't be sealed away from the CVT belt.
I used canned air. It worked ok. Not great, but ok. It got about 75% out, and I was left to use a dry rag to get the rest out. I smoked a belt really good going across the 205 bridge from Vancouver. I guess 30 miles at 80+ on a 88 degree day was a little much for my poor belt. It was slipping and shuddering pretty bad by the time I got home. I also scuffed up the clutch while I was in there, that bell doesn't have much traction to it. I think the clutch and bell will be my next upgrades.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kaos wrote:
broke wrote:I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who said canned air won't give you enough PSI to get that stuff out. It is ICKY ICKY STUFF! I wonder if even air coming from 100PSI compressor would be enough to get it off if it is caking on the clutch bell and pads. It's too bad the clutch can't be sealed away from the CVT belt.
I used canned air. It worked ok. Not great, but ok. It got about 75% out, and I was left to use a dry rag to get the rest out. I smoked a belt really good going across the 205 bridge from Vancouver. I guess 30 miles at 80+ on a 88 degree day was a little much for my poor belt. It was slipping and shuddering pretty bad by the time I got home. I also scuffed up the clutch while I was in there, that bell doesn't have much traction to it. I think the clutch and bell will be my next upgrades.
That's the kind of riding kevlar belts are made for! They don't offer much benefit for normal riding, but you're abnormal. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Wouldn't it be better (and less dirty) to use a shop-vac for the dust? Redistributing the nastiness all over the place just means I'll have to wash the scoot, the garage, etc... :(
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."