Here Come the Stellas?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Here Come the Stellas?

Post by ericalm »

Following up on recent discussions and debate about Genuine's original flagship scoot, the Stella...

From 2StrokeBuzz:
LML: soon?
India Infoline and Moneycontrol India are reporting that LML has signed an agreement with workers and production will resume “shortly,” focusing on scooters for the export market (Stellas!).
See original post for more info, links to sources and comments from skeptics and believers alike. Me, I want to pre-order one from Genuine, just in case it does happen.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

This is SUCH bad news. I have a list of stuff I'd like to buy for my GT and a smaller list of stuff for my Buddy. But, if the choice came down to accessories for current bikes or a NEW Stella, the Stella would win.

If this happens, I won't be first in line. I'll wait it out for at least a little while to make sure the quality is where it belongs. If initial reports are favorable I'll need to figure out how to fit a Stella into my parking space.

Genuine, if you're monitoring this website, keep us informed!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Hmm...this could indeed be bad news for my wallet and garage as well. I'll probably be able to resist temptation unless they offer a 200cc engine and robin's egg blue paint.
- Bryce
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bryce-O-Rama wrote:Hmm...this could indeed be bad news for my wallet and garage as well. I'll probably be able to resist temptation unless they offer a 200cc engine and robin's egg blue paint.
Or an even deeper cut into the waller for a 190 kit and custom paint job.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jgalar

Post by jgalar »

I went to the LML webpage in India and all I see that they make are 2 stroke engines which they can't sell over here can they?
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

jgalar wrote:I went to the LML webpage in India and all I see that they make are 2 stroke engines which they can't sell over here can they?
There is no prohibition on 2 stroke engines. Basically the EPA and California Air Resources Board have specific thresholds for various types of engine emissions. As long as an engine's exhaust gases are below those thresholds, it can be emissions certified with those organizations. 2 strokes tend to have a harder time achieving those goals, but it is not impossible for them to do so.
- Bryce
jgalar

Post by jgalar »

I forgot that OMC still sells 2 stroke outboards also.

I guess there is an exemption of some sort for CCs thats why you don't see any 2 wheelers over 50 or so?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Like Bryce said, 2 strokes aren't banned. The Buddy 50 is, of course, a 2 stroke. However, a lot of scooters that were once 2 stroke 50's are now 4 stroke 50's. Still, Aprilia was able to craft an incredibly clean fuel injected 2 stroke for the Ditech and PGO was able to make a carbed 2 stroke clean enough for US standards (not sure about CA).

If LML gets the assembly line up and running again and can offer a new Stella with a 2 stroke that complies (and runs well), I would much prefer going that route compared to buying a less enviro-friendly used one. Time will tell...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

jgalar wrote:I forgot that OMC still sells 2 stroke outboards also.

I guess there is an exemption of some sort for CCs thats why you don't see any 2 wheelers over 50 or so?
It used to be that under 50cc engines weren't really subject to emissions requirements. Those above that size were subject to some regulation but it was not as stringent as the newer emissions output limits that came on line in 2006.

Direct injection really cleans up 2 stroke engines. The reason 2 stokes have historically been so dirty is not because of the oil, but because of the unburned and partially burned fuel coming out the exhaust pipe. Direct injection sprays fuel into the cylinder when the exhaust port is closed off and only injects a metered amount that is appropriate for the amount of air in the cylinder. Of course there is still the oil issue, but that is also injected separately and more precisely in smaller amounts than would be needed on a carbureted 2 stroke. The downside of this technology is that it's not cheap. It also came a bit late, because nearly every other category where 2 strokes were available saw emissions regulations much sooner than small scooters.
- Bryce
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

stella - try it, you'll like it. :D
2005 stella (blue) :: malossi kit, worb5 crank, 24e carb, TDR epoxy reeds, 22 tooth clutch