(ordered Vee Rubber) Please advise on tires for a wet winter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

(ordered Vee Rubber) Please advise on tires for a wet winter

Post by Portland_Rider »

I’ve ridden on my stock tires for only three months and have just 1,400 miles on them. Still, for greater safety and to have a sense of more road gripping ability, I’m going to start looking for new wet weather winter tires. Portland can have a long rainy season.

Upfront, I do not know what to look for in tire treads or other design/materials in choosing a tire. I could care less if they are white walls. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid on choosing wet weather tires? Please let me know what makes and models you recommend.

I spoke with ScooterWorks and they recommended the VRM 351 0600-0050 at $49 each. There was no speed rating available.
http://www.scooterworks.com/Vee_Rubber_ ... d9386cb5d6

Yesterday, I stopped by P-Town Scooters here in Portland a shop that is certified to repair Genuine Scooters. They suggested that for a Portland rainy winter (now through May) that I go with the Heidenau K47 at $49 each which is rated at 3,50-10 59 J (I really don’t know what that all means yet).
http://www.moto-amore.com/heidenau/new/ ... new_b.html

For an overall All Season, P-Town suggested the Heidenau K58 (59 J) at $48 each.

P-Town informed me that if I want them to switch the tires over it would be about two (2) hours labor at $80 an hour = $160 total labor. Isn’t two hours of labor for a certified Genuine Scooter repair shop a long time to switch tires?

EDIT: Today, I just spoke with Vespa of Portland. The asst manager was supportive of the Maxxis stock tires that come with the Buddy as being fine for a Portland winter and that it is unneccessary to buy another tire. He said that if I have something besides a Maxxis on my scoot, he suggested the Continental Zippy One tires which scooterworks also sells. The prices seem to range from $39 to $59 (I have no idea what the differences are).

Interestingly, without informing them of my conversation yesterday with P-Town Scooters, Vespa of Portland quoted me an hour total of labor for installing the new tires on my scoot at $40 per tire or $80 total labor. That is half or 50% less than what P-Town quoted me yesterday.

Thanks!

Tire pics:
Heidenau K47
Heidenau K58
VRM 351
Attachments
VeeRubberVRM351WinterTire.jpg
VeeRubberVRM351WinterTire.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 976 times
K-58.jpg
K-58.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Heidenau Tires K-47.jpg
Heidenau Tires K-47.jpg (39.14 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Last edited by Portland_Rider on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Just had a Bridgestone Hoop fitted, not checked it in the wet.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I have Zippy 1 on my back tire and love it! I am thinking of swapping out the crap stock tires my Sym came with to Zippys also for the yuck weather heading our way.

I have the stock tire still on the front of my Buddy and the difference when I put the Zippy on the back was really noticeable, I do have to say. As soon as the pocketbook will let me, I will be getting a Zippy on the front.

Cheers,
-v
Vic

Post by Vic »

Also, the 3.5 x 10 is the size of the tire. :wink:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have to say, stock tires have worked pretty well for me. Of course i do not know any better. I really have only nearly "lost my footing" in the rain once on stock. And thruth is I was being a little too punchy in the pouring rain. At 7500 miles, that is not bad. The rear tire is starting to show some wear, so I will be revisitng the tire threads.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

You're on a Buddy 150, yes? You will want tires sized 100/90 - I have Zippy 1 that are that size, while not on the website at Motorsports (www.scooterwest.com) they carry Zippy 1 in 100/90 where as most shops only carry 3.5 x 10.

Many 150 riders are in love with the white walls and Zippys aren't white walls but I love my zippys.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:You're on a Buddy 150, yes? You will want tires sized 100/90 - I have Zippy 1 that are that size, while not on the website at Motorsports (www.scooterwest.com) they carry Zippy 1 in 100/90 where as most shops only carry 3.5 x 10.

Many 150 riders are in love with the white walls and Zippys aren't white walls but I love my zippys.
You can use either 100/90's or 3.5 x 10. They're very nearly the same size and both fit the rim correctly. Its just a matter of metric Vs standard.

The Zippy's work well, I had them for part of last winter.

the Heidenau's are spoken well of, but I've never ridden them, the J part of that tire spec you posted means they're rated for 62MPH. Most scooter tires are J rated, including your stock ones.

There's a dirtbike shop near me that I have swap them, they charge $15 to swap them both if you remove the wheels yourself, or shop time at $40 an hour. The one time I got lazy and had them remove them for me it was $40.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

The price they're asking for the work seems out of line, but then again, I've never had my scooter tires replaced, so I don't have any point of comparison. I'm sorry to see that because I'm none too pleased with what I'm seeing and experiencing at the other authorized Genuine shop in town. Having another option would be nice.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:The price they're asking for the work seems out of line, but then again, I've never had my scooter tires replaced, so I don't have any point of comparison. I'm sorry to see that because I'm none too pleased with what I'm seeing and experiencing at the other authorized Genuine shop in town. Having another option would be nice.
The other one being Vespa Portland? Whats going on? I've got a good relationship with them(being in there practically every week to buy parts), and I'd be happy to rough them up a bit for ya ;)
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Kaos wrote:
The other one being Vespa Portland? Whats going on? I've got a good relationship with them(being in there practically every week to buy parts), and I'd be happy to rough them up a bit for ya ;)
Nothing that they've done to me personally. I'm just disgruntled about various things in regards to how they're running the shop.
1) Everything is overpriced. Corazzo jackets, $20 over what everyone else charges. Oil filter, $5 too much, headlight ring, $5 too much....
2) No women's gear. Went in there to try on, and possibly buy, a Corazzo jacket and they didn't have any women's jackets. Wouldn't have bought it there anyhow due to #1. Bought it from Columbia instead. They had women's jackets on the floor and were very helpful.
3) The whole skate shop conversion. What the heck is up with cramming all of the scooters into the back area? I don't like the apparent change of focus. I have nothing against skaters. Heck, we have a ramp in our backyard! I just don't like how it seems to be completely taking over.
4) Loud music. Sorry, I'm old and somewhat hard of hearing. I have nothing against some good skate music, but if I'm trying to have a conversation about scooter care, I'd like to be able to hear. Turn that noise down! (Did I mention I'm old?) :roll:

Really, from a woman's point of view, my partner and I agree that the place is just too testosterone soaked (and neither of us are girly at all). It seems to me like not catering to women at all in a scooter shop is a huge omission because there are lots of female riders.

Rant over... :wink:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Nothing that they've done to me personally. I'm just disgruntled about various things in regards to how they're running the shop.
1) Everything is overpriced. Corazzo jackets, $20 over what everyone else charges. Oil filter, $5 too much, headlight ring, $5 too much....
2) No women's gear. Went in there to try on, and possibly buy, a Corazzo jacket and they didn't have any women's jackets. Wouldn't have bought it there anyhow due to #1. Bought it from Columbia instead. They had women's jackets on the floor and were very helpful.
3) The whole skate shop conversion. What the heck is up with cramming all of the scooters into the back area? I don't like the apparent change of focus. I have nothing against skaters. Heck, we have a ramp in our backyard! I just don't like how it seems to be completely taking over.
4) Loud music. Sorry, I'm old and somewhat hard of hearing. I have nothing against some good skate music, but if I'm trying to have a conversation about scooter care, I'd like to be able to hear. Turn that noise down! (Did I mention I'm old?) :roll:

Really, from a woman's point of view, my partner and I agree that the place is just too testosterone soaked (and neither of us are girly at all). It seems to me like not catering to women at all in a scooter shop is a huge omission because there are lots of female riders.

Rant over... :wink:
Yeah, I can totally agree with most of that. Now that they have a girl that works there, she's said that the gear focus will change a bit. Dunno about the prices though :) Oil filters are $5 cheaper than any other shop I've looked at, though its been a while since I've shopped around.

I agree with the skate park too, but I understand the reasoning. Justin(The owner) is worried that with the downturn in the economy the shop will have a hard winter. The skate park is pay-to-play, and is bringing in cash to float the shop through the winter. Yeah, its shoving the scooters out of the main part of the shop and thats a shame.

I can't say I've noticed the loud music. Then again, I'm a 27 year old guy, loud music caters to my demographic :)

I'll pass on your thoughts though, they really do like to hear feedback like that. They know that ultimately, its their riders that keep them in business ;)
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Thanks Kaos! I don't want to see them go belly up, and I can fully understand trying to pull in some extra revenue in a downturn. But I think that they're in danger of killing the scooter side entirely. Next time you go in there, try to look at the place from the point of view of someone looking to buy their first scooter. Would you feel compelled to buy there right now? I wouldn't. I hope they regain some balance and I'm glad to hear that they've hired a girl.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:Thanks Kaos! I don't want to see them go belly up, and I can fully understand trying to pull in some extra revenue in a downturn. But I think that they're in danger of killing the scooter side entirely. Next time you go in there, try to look at the place from the point of view of someone looking to buy their first scooter. Would you feel compelled to buy there right now? I wouldn't. I hope they regain some balance and I'm glad to hear that they've hired a girl.
No, as it stands right now, the scooters kinda look like an afterthought. They say they'll balance it out when they're done building the park, but only time will tell.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

pdxrita wrote:I'm glad to hear that they've hired a girl.
I'm very glad that they hired her too as I'm a straight dude. She's adorable. :twisted:
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

My thanks to everyone for helping me become better informed and educated about tires.

While it seems that several riders have had good experiences on the Continental Zippy Ones, other makes such as the Heidenau are probably fine, and I can most likely get away with my issued Maxxis tires that came with the scoot. I think that possibly some of my excess concerns about having additional safety are a result of still having some unresolved issues from my scotter crash last year.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Portland_Rider wrote:My thanks to everyone for helping me become better informed and educated about tires.

While it seems that several riders have had good experiences on the Continental Zippy Ones, other makes such as the Heidenau are probably fine, and I can most likely get away with my issued Maxxis tires that came with the scoot. I think that possibly some of my excess concerns about having additional safety are a result of still having some unresolved issues from my scotter crash last year.
I think my Michelin S1's have been pretty solid in the rain. The seem to be wearing well too. I can't remember ever reading a bad word about Heidenau either.

As for the labor, two hours was what it took my shop too, at the same labor rate. It sucks but changing the tires is definitely a big job.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I've got the Vee Rubber L-rated tires (same ones as Kaos) and I'm liking them so far. They work nicely in the rain. Haven't gotten much of cold until the past few days...temperature just started getting below 50 here.
Haven't tried the winter tires you linked.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:I've got the Vee Rubber L-rated tires (same ones as Kaos) and I'm liking them so far. They work nicely in the rain. Haven't gotten much of cold until the past few days...temperature just started getting below 50 here.
Haven't tried the winter tires you linked.
Yeah, they work great in the rain. I'm loving them so far.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Thanks again to everyone for all your postings and advice on tires. Today, I ordered from ScooterWorks the Vee Rubber VRM 351 at $49 each. The tires are L-rated for speed...not that I personally go that fast.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Vee_Rubber_ ... d9386cb5d6
Attachments
VeeRubberVRM351WinterTire.jpg
VeeRubberVRM351WinterTire.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 835 times
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

after riding on those VRM351's how do you like them? Do you change tires from winter/rainy months to dry summer?
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

after riding on those VRM351's how do you like them? Do you change tires from winter/rainy months to dry summer?