Anyone tried new tires recently?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Anyone tried new tires recently?

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm getting close to needing a new rear tire and was wondering what others have tried.

The stock Maxxis have lasted a good while and they do OK on dry road, but I'd like something a little stickier in the wet. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I'm looking for a "sport" tread with somewhat decent life expectancy and with better grip than the stock tires.

So far I'm looking at the following brands: Vee Rubber, Bridgestone, Heidenau, Shinko and Pirelli.
KSPowerNick suggests that a 150/70-13 will fit the rear tire of the Blur, but I want to know if anyone else has tried a larger tire on the rear. I'm definitely going larger than stock in the front with a 130/70-13 in hopes that it'll make my speedo read something closer to my actual speed.

What have other Blur riders tried? I've spoken with Davelhunter and he tried a 150 tire on the rear but it rubbed the housing somewhere. I didn't catch the exact size or brand/model, but with the cost of the tire and mounting (x2) it was an expensive discovery.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Just put a Bridgestone Hoop on the rear, but haven't put any miles on it yet to recommend. It does feel grippier than the Maxxis.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I read in another thread here that a 130 tire may not clear the front forks because it (the tire) is too wide. When I looked at my Blur, the stock front tire does sit very close to the forks. If you try it and succeed, please do let us know. :)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Damn, I could have sworn that I read (in another... probably ancient thread by now) that a 130 would fit. That was further fueled by Scooterworks listing a 130 as a suitable replacement for the front and rear.

I really haven't put much research into this just yet. I do have some time left since I've got a little tread left on the Blur and brand new rubbers on my MC (which has more wind protection and heated grips - I see myself using it for commuting a lot more than the blur this winter). I'd, of course, like to get the new rubber on and not worry about it. I also want to get the black rims that I've had laying around for a year on my Blur so that the last of the orange is gone, lol.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

I put a new Avon Viper Stryke on the rear. Cost $62, plust $65 to install.

It is the same size as stock. I can't really tell any difference.