Need a Witness - Hit by car on my scooter 10/23/09 6:15 PM

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thehypercube

Need a Witness - Hit by car on my scooter 10/23/09 6:15 PM

Post by thehypercube »

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/com/1435215737.html

Need a Witness - Hit by car on my scooter 10/23/09 6:15 PM (Presidio b/w Sacramento & California)

This guy in a BMW tried to swing a U turn in the middle of the block. There were witnesses but they all left after making sure I was okay and before the cops could get a statement. Of course this asshole who almost killed me tries to turn it around like it's my fault once it's my word against his. I need a witness! I was clearly in my lane passing him at the time and he whipped the front of his sedan right into my bike. If you saw this accident please contact me. If you know anybody who works or lives in that area can you send them this link and ask them to contact me? Thanks so much.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Oh man. I hope you can find a witness. Glad to hear you're ok.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Wish I could help! Glad you are OK though.

Have you thought about the bus schedule? Maybe there was a bus going by and the driver saw? The drivers are usually on the same bus at the same time every day. If one happened to be there... Just a long shot...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

There were 2 busses but unfortunately they were both in front of us. The schedule won't be much help because SF Muni's schedule was so unreliable they moved to a GPS tracking system instead. Not a bad suggestion at all though...

I took the crash perfectly, and luckily. First off, luckily I was pushed into the oncoming lane but avoided being hit - how I will never know. The actual crash though, the guy swung a hard left into my right side, scooter went down and I hit his hood and thought to myself to just try and roll. Landed right knee first which is throbbing, bruised, and scraped up now and immediately started to roll. Not a scratch to my Shoei RF-1000. The armor in my Armadillo Hoodie worked beautifully and my Aero Stitch 3 Season Vegan performed great on the asphalt.

EMT checked for ligament or other damage and seemed ok on their check. I refused treatment at the ER. Due to adrenaline, I was feeling better then than I do now. I am just really worried this guy is going to get off. Police report won't be available for about a week... For now, I just have to wait.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Total empathy for you boss. I hope you catch the scum! Nothin' I can offer except for well wishes; but I'm sending you a lot of well wishes. I HATE Hit and Run cagers!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Should clarify it wasn't a hit and run. This was a hit and lie.
laxer

Post by laxer »

thehypercube wrote: I refused treatment at the ER. Due to adrenaline, I was feeling better then than I do now.
That's the truth. Same thing happened to me when I wrecked.
brape

Post by brape »

thehypercube wrote:
EMT checked for ligament or other damage and seemed ok on their check. I refused treatment at the ER. Due to adrenaline, I was feeling better then than I do now. I am just really worried this guy is going to get off. Police report won't be available for about a week... For now, I just have to wait.
If you're in an accident always go to the ER. Rule my mother tought me. If you want insurance to cover any issues that come up later you better get your ass to the ER right away.

I hope you feel better and find some witnesses its a crappy situation.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Glad you're ok. You could try an advert in your local rag or put a small A4 poster on a lamp stand on the side walk.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

whew~ glad to hear that you're still in one piece. i'll chime in here with the advice to always get checked out, even if you just go into your own physician. as you know, because of adrenaline we often think we're okay, when we're not.

also, if you haven't already, i would suggest you go to a chiropractor and get re-aligned. your body took some serious hits, its probably all out of kilter, which will make you feel queasy and help explain body aches and headaches.

something i hear all the time, but admittedly have yet to do it myself, is to carry a little throw-away camera with you. in case you are in an accident, or witness one, take pix of the vehicles involved as well as any other pix at the scene that might be helpful to the police in their investigation.

hard to remember when you're shaken up, but jot down witnesses' name and contact info. if people are leaving, take a picture of their license plate; they can be found that way. :)

again, so happy to hear that you survived this mishap.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

I'm glad that you are ok. This is a good time to spend extra time with friends and family. I used to live a mile or so from where you had the accident and I'm not surprised to read about the BMW driver's lack of ethics.

Take photos today (if you already haven't of your injuries and your scoot) with a digital camera. You never know how such documentation might come into play. Assuming that you have one, have you spoken with your personal doctor and insurance agent?
brape

Post by brape »

If you take pictures you might want to include a newspaper with them to prove the date they where taken. I would go for a disposable film camera with a newspaper because film is less likely to be altered then digital.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Sorry to hear about the accident. I had the same thing happen to me in my car. I was sitting wit my left turn signal, waiting for the traffic at the stop light behind me to clear, a lady stopped to let me make my turn and a girl came up from behind me and passed me on my left just as I turned. She tried to say that I was sitting there with my right turn signal (why I would have been sitting there I don't know) and I turned into her. The cops talked to her first and then let her go. Then came to me with a ticket in hand! I was fortunate that the lady who had stopped to let me turn left had made a witness statement and her story supported mine. Unfortunately, the idiot cop (no, I am not calling all cops idiots, just this one-there are other reasons-like whistling at a deaf person in order to get their attention after nightfall?!?!? :roll: ) the idiot cop had already let the girl go so she was not cited.

I have not witnessed an accident, but I have promised myself that if I ever do I will pay that stranger back by making sure to provide a witness statement.

As for having an EMT check you out, they can not see any ligament damage. They are not trained for that kind of thing and they do not have the equipment to make that kind of assessment. Soft tissue damage is very difficult to check, and you need to be assessed by someone that knows about this. As a former EMT, I can tell you, go get checked out by a physician who can order any of the high tech tests he feels are necessary, as well as provide the insurance company with adequate medical records. Right now, you refused treatment.

Hope you find a witness and feel better soon!

Cheers,
-v
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

Vic wrote:Unfortunately, the idiot cop (no, I am not calling all cops idiots, just this one-there are other reasons-like whistling at a deaf person in order to get their attention after nightfall?!?!? :roll: ) the idiot cop had already let the girl go so she was not cited.
I have seen people do things in front of cops that I thought for sure they'd get pulled over for, but nope!
terrapin

Re: Need a Witness - Hit by car on my scooter 10/23/09 6:15

Post by terrapin »

thehypercube wrote:http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/com/1435215737.html

Need a Witness - Hit by car on my scooter 10/23/09 6:15 PM (Presidio b/w Sacramento & California)

This guy in a BMW tried to swing a U turn in the middle of the block. There were witnesses but they all left after making sure I was okay and before the cops could get a statement. Of course this arsehole who almost killed me tries to turn it around like it's my fault once it's my word against his. I need a witness! I was clearly in my lane passing him at the time and he whipped the front of his sedan right into my bike. If you saw this accident please contact me. If you know anybody who works or lives in that area can you send them this link and ask them to contact me? Thanks so much.
Any luck Cube? Mind if I RT & FB your CL ad? You on Twitter?
We should be able to find someone in The City willing to come FWD.
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

Wow, what a horrible disregard for another person's life. Hope you manage to track down the guy -- some of the drivers in this city are terrible. I think the horn has helped me out quite a few times.

I will try to RT / FB it later if you don't mind.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Hi all sorry for the lack of updates. I did go to the ER and my knee is not broken but i do have soft tissue damage, back and neck pain, headache and some bruising and stretching of parts that shouldnt have...

I flyered for a witness at the scene and they were all taken down by this kooky dude:
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/200 ... r_cran.php

I keep trying to pester the JCCSF security department as they have 3 cameras on that block alone. I think that would be my best witness if i can get them to help. They seem pretty uninterested at the moment.

I wrote a supplemental statement that I will release here after the police accept it. Feel free to RT/FB anything you like!

Thank you for your help!
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Plot thickens: The JCC has video footage from their outdoor security cameras. The director of security at the JCC describes the video as "inconclusive, but useful to the police if they want to review it". hmm
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Hey, at least that's something to go with. What's the JCC?

laxer

Post by laxer »

thehypercube wrote:Plot thickens: The JCC has video footage from their outdoor security cameras. The director of security at the JCC describes the video as "inconclusive, but useful to the police if they want to review it". hmm
Don't the police need 'indisputable video evidence' to overturn the play? Oh, wait, it's Saturday and I'm watching college football, that explains it...

PS-Don't ever watch the movie 'HyperCube.' Just watch Cube and leave the sequels alone.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Hey, at least that's something to go with. What's the JCC?
Jewish Community Center (San Francisco)
Last edited by Portland_Rider on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portland_Rider

Post by Portland_Rider »

thehypercube wrote:Plot thickens: The JCC has video footage from their outdoor security cameras. The director of security at the JCC describes the video as "inconclusive, but useful to the police if they want to review it". hmm
The inconclusive part is of course the current opinion or belief of the security director. It is not yet a known fact. If any part of the BMW driver's testimony to police is refuted by the video coverage then I think that possibly helps bring his other claims into more skeptical belief.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

I had an idea the other night as I was trying to fall asleep. Trying is the operative word these days as I steam over the post accident mess I am still dealing with.

Geico has agreed with my account of the incident and closed my claim in terms of my liability (IE - not at fault). While they agree with me, the onus is on me to turn the momentum towards my favor. This shouldn't be hard since my account of the accident is indeed fact.

I thought, well the 911 caller was witness to the accident surely. I looked up the process for requesting 911 audio and today I acquired that audio which contains the key phrase by the independent 3rd party caller "...a motorcycle was just hit and knocked down". This statement, I hope, clearly refutes the other driver's statement that I had hit him.

Anyhow, I'm no further with the video at the time being. That won't happen without a subpoena and I'm trying not to file in court except as a last resort. Unfortunately, the next step will be the last resort if USAA will not budge based on the audio I've obtained.

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions. Just wanted to give you the good news of the day.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

So is USAA the other guy's insurance company? I have them and they are excellent (for me). If you present good evidence to them, they should be willing to correct whatever the other guy said. I just want to be sure I'm understanding the situation correctly.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

thehypercube wrote:...I thought, well the 911 caller was witness to the accident surely. I looked up the process for requesting 911 audio and today I acquired that audio which contains the key phrase by the independent 3rd party caller "...a motorcycle was just hit and knocked down". This statement, I hope, clearly refutes the other driver's statement that I had hit him....
Brilliant idea! Truly. If for no other reason, I hope you get the compensation you deserve just to reward such clever thinking :+!:

thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

pugbuddy wrote:So is USAA the other guy's insurance company? I have them and they are excellent (for me). If you present good evidence to them, they should be willing to correct whatever the other guy said. I just want to be sure I'm understanding the situation correctly.
Correct. I have Geico, other party has USAA. I think either company will be excellent towards their respective customers in their own interest of not paying out a claim. Especially in a he said/he said case. I wouldn't say a 911 call is the best evidence in the world considering there is a video out there which paints a clearer picture (no pun intended), but I just can't get my hands on.

BTW, I did get a written estimate for repairs at ~$1,500! It is drivable, but I want 'er back the way she was ;) That's only the repairs, no medical, no other damage (clothing, blackberry etc)
cmac

Post by cmac »

Man, that sh** sucks. People are freaking arseholes I tell you.
If it's one thing that I have learned from reading different scooter forums it's this.
If you get hit, stay down. Don't act like you're okay. Make a damn scene if you have to.
If people think everything is fine then they tend to leave the scene.
If it looks like some good action, they will probably stay, so make it good!

Some people might say that faking it is morally wrong, but hey, at least some people will stay to see if you're okay and his ass will be paying for your ambulance ride, scooter, and whatever else may stack up, NOT YOU!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I hope this works out for, like Skootz says, if only because you're thinking hard and digging up stuff on your own to prove what you're saying.

GOOD LUCK!