trailers to pull with scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

motormike

Post by motormike »

Wondering if there is a real market for scooter trailers. I have had the idea bouncing off the inner surface of my skull for a month or so and then I found this forum where the subject is addressed. I read thru a few but am asking for your feedback to me directly if you are one of those riders that would buy a trailer for your scoot. What will you be hauling? How much weight will you need to carry? How much money would you expect a trailer to cost? What features are you thinking will be necessary to have? LIGHTS.....FLAT BED......WAGON BED......COVERED.......HARDSHELL OR FABRIC......BRAKES......ONE WHEEL OR TWO.......SPARE TIRE.......Please respond to this post and guide me through this building of the prototype so that my trailer is something you want, not something you have to settle for......motormike
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Personally I have no use for a trailer but there a lots of posts here on the subject...

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

ugh. Not for me, but probably some would love it. When I see Harleys and Goldwings hauling trailers I always think they just don't know how to camp. Of course that's not the only reason for a trailer.

I had a trailer on my road bike for a while. It was like dragging an anchor. Decided it was panniers only. Teaches you to pack light.

More wheels, more maintenance.
Francois Donadet

Post by Francois Donadet »

It seems like there would be two kinds of trailers, one for touring, and one for hauling.

1. For touring one would need a trailer that could handle high speeds and it would need at least a 250cc scoot to pull it. I imagine it would need to look aerodynamic and stylish as well. I personally wouldn't need such a thing.

2. A trailer for hauling bulky items however could be most helpful. Last week I bought a carboy (a 6 gallon glass jar for making wine) got out to the scoot and proceeded to scratch my head for a bit. I would want a flat bed 18-24 inch tall sides, places to hook bungees, tail lights, turn signals, brake lights as the ones on the scoot would be blocked by the load. I would like it to be able to go 45. I've seen some limited to 35.

I don't know what kind of legal issues would be involved tags etc. Probably different from state to state.
I would hope around 300 bucks not sure if that's possible I'm a cheap bastard and think everything is overpriced.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I think a one wheeled trailer you could haul maybe 50 pounds in, would be cool! We have two Boston Terriers and I have been wracking my brain ever since we got scooters in the summer as to how we could take our dogs with us. The plan would be to travel 4 - 20 miles to nearby parks to take them on walks. 45 mph would be about as fast as we'd want to go.

Probably this is not even possible, to have something fairly lightweight and STABLE, that can go up to 45 and carry 2 small dogs...but one can dream, right? An issue I can think of would be exhaust from the scooter, so maybe this wouldn't be such a good idea. Darn. :(

Well, it would be great for camping or long distance treking, in which case the ability to go 55 mph on non-interstate highways would be a plus. The main thing is could it really be stable? The reason I keep saying "one wheel", is that when I am scooting, even though I try to keep up with traffic, there are times you will still get someone who will tailgate you if you don't pull over. With a 2-wheeled trailer, you are now very limited as to where you can pull over.

Sorry to go on and on, but sometimes someone else rambling with ideas is helpful, you never know! :)

Here are a couple of sites I found. Who knows, maybe you can get some ideas from these and come up with a smaller, lighter-weight one that's still stable.
http://www.extrawheel.com/
http://www.n-line.com/

$500 is too steep for me...to be honest $250 to $300 might be about all I would want to pay. That may make it not worth it....

Good luck, and great idea! Thanks for asking us. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
tshall

Post by tshall »

Francois Donadet wrote: Last week I bought a carboy (a 6 gallon glass jar for making wine) got out to the scoot and proceeded to scratch my head for a bit.
So ... did you get it on the scoot? Don't leave us hanging. Pics!!

Tim
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

IIRC, a couple members have made custom trailers and hitches for their Buddys/scooters.

topic8369.html
More pics

This is a vintage PAV trailer or reproduction:

Scoot Boot trailer for 49cc scooters:

See also:
viewtopic.php?p=88393

http://www.uni-go.com/

Piggy Backer XL on eBay: http://is.gd/4HmRe

Adventure touring camping trailer (eBay): http://is.gd/4Hn1O

There are also trailers made for modern scooters that are very low, two-wheeled designs. In particular, the ones scooter marketing companies use for tall signs. Most of these are only meant for 35mph or so on a level surface.

The biggest issues with trailers for a Buddy are fashioning a flexible hitch that will allow the scooter to tilt and finding a way to attach it to the frame. What you don't want is the scooter tilting one way and the trailer tilting the other—you could "torque" the rider right off. The dynamics are quite different than, say, a fully loaded Gold Wing tourer—900lbs. of bike with a 1800cc engine.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Thanks for sharing the pictures Ericalm! Neat stuff.

I agree with you about the stability / safety issue regarding scooters...not sure if there's a solution for that, but I'm ever hopeful!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwarfield

Post by jwarfield »

The pic of the yellow Key West is about a mile from my house!! I can't wait to see her with that thing on the road, it's awesome!! :D
I don't suffer from insanity........I enjoy every second of it!
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Hello, I am reviving this old thread. I was tossing the idea of a trailer for a scooter for my bucket list trip to Las Cruces, NM., but couldn't find any that were reasonable in cost (i.e the PAV, if you can find one expect to spend 2k+) so I thought I would design one myself :wink: . After hours of searching and looking at trailers the PAV design seems the simplest and the best so I did some mock-up drwings using the limited capabilities of PowerPoint, so what do you think?
Attachments
trailer1.gif
trailer1.gif (10.75 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
trailer2.gif
trailer2.gif (7.43 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The hard part is designing a proper hitch and mount that will work with a fairly light vehicle with a low center of gravity that tilts on two wheels and has a tubular frame under plastic body panels.

There are PAV copies now being made in Asia and India that will run much less than $2K. The one being made for Royal Enfields is $600 and comes in some Stella colors!
Attachments
473945979.jpg
473945979.jpg (108.86 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

ericalm wrote:The hard part is designing a proper hitch and mount that will work with a fairly light vehicle with a low center of gravity that tilts on two wheels and has a tubular frame under plastic body panels.

There are PAV copies now being made in Asia and India that will run much less than $2K. The one being made for Royal Enfields is $600 and comes in some Stella colors!
Ok, we need something like that but using the single-sided "fork" from a Stella for the trailer wheel so it too could use the Stella's spare wheel if needed.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Thanx for the info Ericalm, the link to the PAV style trailer is http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aft ... black.html
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Mounting the hitch to the rear rack is unsafe. I was towing less than 60 lbs in a bike trailer and applied to much front brake. The rear tire was lifted and I fell forward off the pedals and rolled the bike and trailer. The cause was the weight of the trailer was applying forward momentum at the seat post. All newer bike trailers hitch at the axle center line. This adds load to the rear tire and transmits stopping forces straight into the vehicle without upsetting the suspension or brake bias.
Aguacate

Post by Aguacate »

haven't even considered a trailer for my scoot, but I routinely pick up giant quantities of groceries with this..
http://www.ian-pix.com/ginnys-kitchen/2 ... -free.html
Chip Gelmini

old thread but here's a recent reply

Post by Chip Gelmini »

I have after a few attempts, finally gotten a small trailer to pull behind my scooter. It's easy, hauls great, and was very simple to create.

First, get yourself a Radio Flyer ATW Model 29 kid's wagon.

2nd: Assemble the wagon completely do everything EXCEPT the front axle assembly.

3. Find a strip of wood 1" wide X 18" long and install it to the front of the bottom wagon sticking out like a tow bar. Use 2 primary bolts, and in addition tack some 1.25" wood screws for added bonding.

4. Drill a 1/4" hole at the end, 1 " in, centered.

5. Design a hitch that mounts to the crank case bolts on the left side of the rear wheel. A motorcycle shop can do this for just labor rate. They'll make it out of angle iron - scrap metal from their shop.

6. Center the hitch behind the rear tire about 3 inches behind the rear fender splash guard.

7. Find a long shackled master lock, and slide it up side down from the bottom up through the hitch and drop your tow bar on the shackle next.

8. Close the lock make sure it is secured and away you go.

NOTES:

The ATW tires that come with the wagon should work OK> Make sure to oil them first before putting on the axle shaft.

When pulling the trailer, average 15 - 18 miles per hour for safety. With and without a load. This is common sense. This is a home made rig and is not professionally designed so don't plan on zipping along at 30MPH with it.

The wagon should not need lights. Whether or not it is street legal remains unanswered. However, I've used mine safely on most of the main roads here and have yet to be pulled over and it's been several weeks since I started road testing.

I do not have a "Buddy Scooter" per say - but it is a 49cc which I have just purchased earlier this month brand new. It appears to be handling the trailer just fine.

The threads and posts here is very interesting. It's really cool to see all these pictures and to read all the questions and comments about pulling a trailer with a small scooter.

cg
Dooglas

Re: old thread but here's a recent reply

Post by Dooglas »

Chip Gelmini wrote:I have after a few attempts, finally gotten a small trailer to pull behind my scooter. It's easy, hauls great, and was very simple to create.
It didn't happen until you post a photo. :wink:
Chip Gelmini

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Here are a few pictures

I put two coolers in the trailers for grocery store trips - and secure the load with bungee cords.

In my area the main roads are very busy - so I normally will plan a detour route through neighborhood side roads to avoid heavy traffic.

Make sure to swing wide turns to avoid hitting curbs.

There are TWO trailer connections. BACKING UP is very difficult. Be certain to pull forward when parking so that you can pull forward to exit your parking area.

Note the double tandem to boot :-)
Attachments
ready_to_scoot_2.jpg
ready_to_scoot_2.jpg (156.07 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
1st attempt standard Burley bicycle tow bar
1st attempt standard Burley bicycle tow bar
ready_to_scoot.jpg (131.17 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
ready_to_scoot_3.jpg
ready_to_scoot_3.jpg (86.85 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have a PAV Inder copy, and I REALLY like the little red wagon idea there. How does it track with 2 wheels ?

AND where did you find the mount. I am interested to see how you hooked the bar to the bike. :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Floyd Grimm at Vespa Marietta had an Inder trailer hooked up to one of his
scoots (a Stella, I think) Only saw it once, think he sold it shortly after. He said it was a different riding experience!! He just put a Cozi sidecar on his Stella and is going to address some problems for me relating to my sidecar rig. Personally I will stick with the side car. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Chip Gelmini

red wagon project

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Thank you for your comments.

The trailers tow just fine with the two wheel axle. Earlier (my first post without pictures) I wrote that speed per hour should be much slower. Since these aren’t professionally made for towing behind the scooter – that is the work I’ve done referring to as not professional – for safety reasons I maintain 15 – 18 mph during all trailer towing. I also mentioned since the roads are busy here, I detour through neighborhoods to allow for the slower speed and less traffic. Bottom line: Do something like this do not expect to zip down the road at 20mph or more. In my opinion that would not be wise.

The tow bar is an old one from a child’s towing trailer from Sears about the year 1996 – now long gone and discontinued. What parts I could I salvaged from the trailer such as the wheels and tow bar.

The wheels that are in the picture are the actual wagon wheels that will come in the box with the Radio Flyer ATW Model 29 wagon. I believe that, while bigger air tires could be put on the unit, the included tires are wider which make the trailer more stable. One can assume that if you were traveling down the road empty at even 17mph and one tire hit a small rock as road debris, there is potential for flipping the trailer. These included smaller wider tires help reduce, but do not eliminate, this risk.

The pictures you have seen were taken a few weeks ago when I first got the trailers on the road. In testing, there are several things that I have decided upon:

While the tandem (large and small wagons) are shown hooked up – I do NOT pull them this way. Depending on the size of my anticipated load, I will choose either the large or small trailer. And I wish to make it clear: ONLY one trailer is towed at a time. NEVER both at the same time. For the curious: The road test of the double tandem did pass. However, based on whether or not these trailers behind the scooter are street legal – I feel we’re already pushing the limits so let’s not max it out. These tandems have been pulled without incidents from law enforcements behind a standard pedal power bicycle – but of course that’s different.

To gain speed easier, (but not more speed) I have switched the larger trailer from the ATW included tires to 12.25 standard spoke rims and tires. The ATW tires were removed, the axle was elevated to make room for the larger wheels under the trailer body – and the rimmed tires slipped on the ½ inch axle shaft. The standard wagon axle caps (I had some extras) were then used.

Many years ago I was in a toy store hunting down a nephew’s birthday present. It was not a wagon that I was looking for at the time. But walking through the store, my path of travel put me past the bikes and wagons on display. My outside vision caught one of the ATW model 29 wagons, and I stopped and took a look. Just when I was planning on building something in the wood shop from scratch, here before my eyes was the perfect unit and all it needed was some slight modification.

The rest is history. More better pictures soon to follow. I’m almost done getting this wagon trailer project completed.

Anyone within the Daytona Beach area who can stop by and see these should contact me – I am happy to hang with others interested in this same idea. We have many great rides here and you could easily spend several days just touring the area.

Thank you all for your continued support. I’m glad I am able to be part of this scooter / trailering community!
Chip Gelmini

Post by Chip Gelmini »

I would also like to point something else out with this wagon project and why it is so much better than anything else.

I’ve said that so far, I have yet to have any law enforcement pull me over and tell me I am doing wrong.

Consider, beyond my safer slower driving, the reason for this is the actual wagon design.

Approaching from within the cruiser

The officer see’s the exposed wagon frame with coolers strapped in.

As compared to

Those nifty Burley and other brand child carrier trailers that are fully enclosed to protect the child from debris and or wind.

The child carriers are easily available and are just as easy to attach to a scooter.

The wagon demonstrates that you only have cargo – such as groceries for example – as your load.

You don’t have kids or pets.

Consider the fumes from the scooter exhaust.

So you don’t have to use a wagon like I have. But do please make sure your cargo is exposed so that it is obvious you do not have kids or pets as your load. Do this and the authorities will keep on going. Make them wonder, and yep you could be pulled over.

I do believe this makes a fair point of allowing these on the roads.

Just sayin’.
TVB

Post by TVB »

From time to time I've considered converting a bicycle trailer for carrying kids, to use for hauling laundry or groceries, but didn't feel it was worth my effort, especially with the practical speed limit it would have. The chance of a "ZOMG he's going to kill his baby!" reaction from people who saw me using it would be a further reason not to. :)

But this looks like a practical set-up, as long as you can operate within its limits. Nice job.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I really like the rig. The bigger one would be perfect for scooter rallies and hauling stuff around the event ( firewood, coolers, etc.). Nice idea, and not too expensive. AND, IT LOOKS COOL.

I think i posted elsewhere. I have had my Inder up to 60 MPH on a straight piece of road behind my stella. It feels fine at 45-50; somewhere around 50-55 it begins to get a slight wobble side to side. very slow oscillation, not too dangerous, but it doesn't inspire confidence either. It did intensify as I went to 60. So, if you want to run a Inder above 50 MPH for extended distance a damper of some sort would be in order.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Chip Gelmini

RADIO FLYER EXPRESS

Post by Chip Gelmini »

More pictures from earlier today
Note the new wheels on the bigger wagon
Road tested average speed 20-25MPH
Perfect handling, turning, etc.
Attachments
Resize_1230131054-02_01.jpg
Resize_1230131054-02_01.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Resize_1230131054-01_01.jpg
Resize_1230131054-01_01.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Resize_1230131054-00_01.jpg
Resize_1230131054-00_01.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Resize_1230131053-02_01.jpg
Resize_1230131053-02_01.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Resize_1230131053-01_01.jpg
Resize_1230131053-01_01.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Resize_1230131052-00_01.jpg
Resize_1230131052-00_01.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Chip Gelmini

pictures continue

Post by Chip Gelmini »

couple more pics

The sign on the back says

SHARE THE ROAD

Composed with word processor - printed 8 x 10 paper, laminated at Staples attached to rear panel with small bolts

Note of interest:

The vertical shot from the rear of the trailer.

I am finding my design is spot on with the wheels of the trailer being just barely inside the handle grips on the handle bar.

Food for thought: If your hands on the grips clear the road debris - then the axle will as well.

Can't get better than that! :-)
Attachments
Resize_1230131055-00_01.jpg
Resize_1230131055-00_01.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Resize_1230131054-03_01.jpg
Resize_1230131054-03_01.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Rusty J

Two possible issues

Post by Rusty J »

I see two possible issues with your setup, though they may not be a problem depending on your riding style and the way you use your trailer.

The first issue is that it looks like there isn't much allowance for twisting at the connecting point -- the bike leans, the trailer does not. If you take corners very slowly and with the bike mostly upright, it's not a problem.

The second issue is that there's a possibility of overloading the back of the bike if you carry too much weight in the trailer -- this could make handling tricky. This can be dealt with by either keeping your loads light, or by moving the trailer axle forward to about 2/3 of the way back rather than its current position at the rear.

All that said, it's a remarkably clever setup, and I like it.
Chip Gelmini

WAGON TRAILER UPDATED PICTURES AUGUST 2014

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Hello everyone. It's been quiet for a few months but I wish to thank everyone for their support, views, and comments likewise. I have relocated from Florida to New England. The scooter is doing fine and yes I am pulling wagons with it in the north east.

I did get two new wagons I did not have this past winter. Some new pictures are below showing the one wagon I use the most. It's probably my best work yet for a conversion.

My question here for everyone else: Has anyone tried doing this too - or are you still dreaming? :)

[/img]
Attachments
berlin001.jpg
berlin001.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
berlin004.jpg
berlin004.jpg (69.78 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
berlin003.jpg
berlin003.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
berlin5.jpg
berlin5.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
Last edited by Chip Gelmini on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

10 HP + trailer = no thank you. Just this man's opinion.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Having pulled travel trailers and light freight trailers for many years I admire
your craftsmanship but do have one question----How the heck do you back up your 2 trailer hook up much less your single trailer hook up , and do you have any trouble with the local police when on the street with it. :wink:
Chip Gelmini

Wagon Trailers

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Backing up is fairly easy with a single trailer however I do not do it with a tandem. It's just much easier to park in an area so that when leaving I can just drive forward. Kind of like the Starship Enterprise. They always went forward because they could never find reverse. lol

All jokes aside this has been working great. One or two trailers with an even load is very easy to ride. That being said, of course as you would be riding in New England - home of hard winters - and even without a trailer - one must be careful for road debris and things like pot holes, low deep drains, and such.

Keeping in mind that as rules vary between states across the USA - where I am the state wide speed limit for scooters is 20MPH and the bikes can only be on the roads during daylight - specifically - not before sunrise or after sunset.

In Florida I actually took the tandem to a local police department and asked for an officer to inspect it. My question was, "assuming I broke no other rules and you saw this rig - would you pull me over?,"

The officer said that he would not have under those exact circumstances.

Up here in New England I've seen the police go by me several times and to date I have not been pulled over yet. But I am quite sure sometime somewhere there is always the possibility.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Well, I admire you chutzpah for doing this at all. But the speed limitations, lack of a pivoting hitch point and absence of a suspension to keep the rig (and the stuff in it) from bouncing all over the place just scare the crap outta me.

Please be careful and let us know if local law enforcement ever stops you or warns you. I suppose with the 50 cc scooter, all bets are off but I still wonder about any regulations regarding towing.

Stay safe!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Chip Gelmini

WAGON TRAILER UPDATED PICTURES AUGUST 2014

Post by Chip Gelmini »

I have to do better pictures with more details. All of this stuff has had a good thought to make it work. The tow bar is actually a fork design - and it slips between the hitch coming off the scooter. There is a gap that allows pivoting - as one writer commented the bike leans but the trailer does not. Having read this, I gave that some thought - and redesigned the tow bar to solve the issue.

And so on.

Thanks for your continued interest and support. Your comments are very much appreciated.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Tocsik wrote:Please be careful and let us know if local law enforcement ever stops you or warns you. I suppose with the 50 cc scooter, all bets are off but I still wonder about any regulations regarding towing.
I have not seen a state regulation concerning towing by PTWs, but certainly most states have regulations concerning lighting on trailers. Would an LEO stop a scooter for no trailer lights? Who knows. Stay tuned.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

i'd like to get a ice cream cart to pull with my scooter. have fun and make money.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Vinyl doctor, would not work for me. I would eat up all the profit!! :wink:
Chip Gelmini

THE TAG ALONG WAGON TRAILER

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Made by the Berlin wagon company, the now discontinued Tag Along was made to be hooked to a regular wagon for more storage on the way to the beach or cookout.

I have taken mine and did the make over.

Air tires replace the original plastic tires.

The tow bar is original.

A coat of apple red spray paint on the removable sides; and cream color spray paint on the cargo box.

Note the original rear axle has been moved up to the 2/3 position in relation of the cargo box.

All my trailers are built the same. As shown today, any combination can be attached to the scooter. So here, we have the single tiny trailer, for a quick trip to the market. Drop a cooler in and off you go for the bread or milk or six pack of miller lite.

I've been riding like this for several months and have had some really great rides. I believe I've ridden nearly 2300 miles this summer with the bike. Hard to say because I haven't paid much attention to that. And it has been rare for me to ride the scooter without a wagon hooked up.

I don't think I've ever done anything else as cool as this!

These pictures taken on October 19, 2014
Attachments
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG (71.12 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG (139.6 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG (149.59 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG (140.92 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG (134.52 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG (146.32 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

so, what IS the best way to hitch a trailer to a stella (or p/px)? I have yet to find a clear answer in all my searches... :?
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Chip Gelmini

traiuler hitches

Post by Chip Gelmini »

I took my scooter to a motorcycle shop and had it fabricated. I let the mechanic design what he felt was best. In my case, the angle iron is bolted to the gear box cover using the original gear box bolts. The angle iron comes out several inches, almost a foot - then another piece of angle iron raise the hitch, and on the top of that piece is a flat piece of angle iron of which the lock slides through the hitch and tow bar.

It doesn't look real nice, but it works and has lasted.

You just have to find someone who will look at your scooter and come up with something.

Mine cost about $200.00 parts and labor. No regrets: I got what I wanted.
Chip Gelmini

wagon pictures continue

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Recently modified this is the original wagon tandem I bought years ago for my standard bicycle. Now modified for the scooter.

Relocated the axle at 2/3 position. The last image shows bumper to bumper length comparison!

They bounce around a bit empty - but with a medium load they are much better, cruising along at 22 miles per hour......average weight 50lbs (frieght) such as groceries, firewood, etc.

The wheels come from a New Hampshire based wheel supply house. The link is below. This is the air tire 12 inch with 1/2" hub and it slips over the original wagon assembly rear axle. The original wagon wheels have been trashed.

wheel supply:

http://www.smalltiresandwheels.com/12q-air-tire

cg
oct 22 '14
Attachments
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG (150.86 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG (78.28 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG (75.51 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG (161.53 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG (160.62 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Anyone want to guess what favorite color is Chips? :D

Chip,I admire your work!

Thanks for sharing.

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I do not see how it could be practical in any way. Maybe I am wrong but, unless you were going at a crawl, how in the hell do you keep the trailer from bouncing around?
Chip Gelmini

in reply to the above

Post by Chip Gelmini »

In Massachusetts, the state wide scooter speed limit is 20mph. Given that, and a little weight of a load the trailers are fine.

If I do not have time to ride the scooter based on restrictions, then I use my small truck to get things done.

The tow bar also offers very slight bounce or spring like action, although it is very little.
Chip Gelmini

Back in Daytona Beach

Post by Chip Gelmini »

And yeppers I've got the wagons with me.

Anybody local care to ride?

Reach me here to set something up:

prfcg2@aol.com
Chip Gelmini

wagon photo update March 10 2015

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Here's what my modification looks like from underneath the cargo box....
Attachments
underside.JPG
underside.JPG (139.35 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
Dooglas

Re: in reply to the above

Post by Dooglas »

Chip Gelmini wrote:In Massachusetts, the state wide scooter speed limit is 20mph.
Really? Define scooter.
Chip Gelmini

Define scooter

Post by Chip Gelmini »

All I know is what I read from the Massachusetts RMV. Check it out yourself, dude.
Dooglas

Re: Define scooter

Post by Dooglas »

Chip Gelmini wrote:All I know is what I read from the Massachusetts RMV. Check it out yourself, dude.
As a former resident of Boston, I have, and that is why I asked. To my knowledge there IS no state-wide scooter speed limit in Massachusetts. Mass, like many states, defines "moped" as a motorized vehicle with an engine not to exceed 50cc and capable of a speed not to exceed 30 mph. That is not a speed limit, of course - it is a restriction on engine size and capability to allow a different class of licensing for small scooters and motorized bicycles. And none of that applies to scooters/motorcycles with an engine that exceeds 50cc.

http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/license/7moped.htm
Chip Gelmini

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Thank you for setting this straight. It would appear there is confusion on what is referred to as a scooter and/or a moped.

We hear SCOOTER and we think what we have. But really perhaps, maybe it is the child's toy without an engine that is propelled with one foot as the other foot stabilizes the scooter. Somestimes known as "a Razor" or is that referring to a brand. I don't know.

We hear MOPED and we think of the old style gas bicycle with the pedals that need to be used to kick start it as some do not have key start ignition.

And we are by no means "motorcycles."

And I would like to say if any of my earlier replies seemed out of tone or in appropriate. It was not meant to be I was just answering your comments. No offense, I hope!

In any event, good food for thought!

CG